Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Spreading it out is to the team's advantage. The longer the deferral the more discounted the cap hit. Of course from a player's perspective the less valuable the contract. The Ohtani deal is spread out over ten years. The reason a player might do that is to mitigate taxes.

It's kind of tricky because in theory having it as one single pay day could make it easier for the player to find temp residence in a low tax place (like say Switzerland or Bahamas or Dubai), get the deferred money at a very low bracket and then you're basically free to move somewhere else after that if you want.

I guess it would depend on the player. It also mitigates to an extent the whole "make your money work for you asap" as you'd get the money quicker.

At the end of the day really, if we can get 1.5-2 mill off Leon's AAV, maybe 0.5-1m off Bouchard's, and 1.5-2 mill off Connor's AAV ... it really doesn't matter how it's structured as long as it's good for the player.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
"Simple", I just got ptsd from highschool math 25+ years ago!
This is actually stuff they should teach in school explicitly instead of some of the other stuff they teach in math. People need to know this sort of thing for making basic life choices for things like mortgages and things like car leases. Otherwise, one ends up at the mercy of slick salesmen.

I once had a car salesman try to explain to me and my wife why a car lease was such a great deal when it was actually terrible. But he could not even tell me how the payments were calculated never mind compare it with any other form of purchase. I tried to explain to him that we could do the assessment ourselves but he simply said it was too complicated for a customer to understand so I should take his word. My guess is that most of his customers bought his pitch which while brutally incorrect sounded very convincing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This is actually stuff they should teach in school explicitly instead of some of the other stuff they teach in math. People need to know this sort of thing for making basic life choices for things like mortgages and things like car leases. Otherwise, one ends up at the mercy of slick salesmen.

I once had a car salesman try to explain to me and my wife why a car lease was such a great deal when it was actually terrible. But he could not even tell me how the payments were calculated never mind compare it with any other form of purchase. I tried to explain to him that we could do the assessment ourselves but he simply said it was too complicated for a customer to understand so I should take his word. My guess is that most of his customers bought his pitch which while brutally incorrect sounded very convincing.
I 100% agree. There should be classes in finance for instance. Things that everyone will need to use in their lives. Most people don't know their jobs as well as they should and he was likely just a snake oil salesman.
I honestly do not think there is one person I know who would turn down a raise like that . But I agree why the salt
Well then I guess everyone you know puts money above everything else in life. It wasn't like he was going to be a pauper either way. He thought that he could stay and strong arm the team, well he found out otherwise. Hopefully that extra money buys him happiness.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don’t buy it from Holloway. His initial reactions were more telling and indicative of how he felt. He’s just had some time to rationalize it in his own head and he’s trying to play it off like he doesn’t regret it.

He’s not fooling me. He regrets it 100%.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I 100% agree. There should be classes in finance for instance. Things that everyone will need to use in their lives. Most people don't know their jobs as well as they should and he was likely just a snake oil salesman.

Well then I guess everyone you know puts money above everything else in life. It wasn't like he was going to be a pauper either way. He thought that he could stay and strong arm the team, well he found out otherwise. Hopefully that extra money buys him happiness.
I think the UNESCO definition of Literacy is a very important in identifying critical basic literacy skills to navigate a modern information world: What you need to know about literacy.

Financial Literacy is one of several vital, practical life critical thinking skills.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don’t buy it from Holloway. His initial reactions were more telling and indicative of how he felt. He’s just had some time to rationalize it in his own head and he’s trying to play it off like he doesn’t regret it.

He’s not fooling me. He regrets it 100%.
Naw, he was aware of the possibilities and consequences going into RFA. Of course likely surprise when it turned out the way it did. But he's bought into the Armstrong vision and opportunity to play more consistent minutes on a younger team. Oh ... and got the bank too.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

We used to always decline invites to attend the timeshare info sessions when on holidays at a resort, but one year the incentive to attend was better than usual, so we decided to go. Half an hour of the main speaker, then you break off as a couple and talk to an individual rep. Most people just said thanks but no thanks at that point. A few cheers would go up as people bought one. (Decent chance they were just paid plants to try to build up excitement). My wife wanted to leave, as we had no intention of buying one, but there were so many holes in the presentation that I couldn’t resist hanging around and having some fun. So for the next hour I grilled the rep on why their ‘investment’ was way over valued. Soon the next in command was brought in, followed by the head honcho. Of course the price kept dropping every ten minutes, usually coinciding with a question of mine they couldn’t answer. By the end of it the offer was discounted by around 80%, but it still didn’t make financial sense. I enjoyed it, in my warped way, but needless to say, my wife refuses to go to any more of the presentations with me. ;)

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Naw, he was aware of the possibilities and consequences going into RFA. Of course likely surprise when it turned out the way it did. But he's bought into the Armstrong vision and opportunity to play more consistent minutes on a younger team. Oh ... and got the bank too.
I'm not confident that he's going to get more minutes in St Louis. They have a lot of forwards there.

Reactions: North

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010

So you're telling me you're going to turn down 2 million a year cause John's Q public feelings might be hurt ??? The bottom line is, I don't know what tomorrow will bring and if I can take care of the welfare of my loved ones today then damn right I am going to

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

In grade 12 I had room for two option classes, so being like most lazy high school students, I signed up for what I figured were two of the easiest courses, bookkeeping and typing. Turned out both were among the best courses I ever took in school, with long term value.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm not confident that he's going to get more minutes in St Louis. They have a lot of forwards there.
I'm on record thinking he's in Calgary within 3 years because of the Blues prospect pool cooking with young pedigree forwards. He slots in their top 9 forwards this season maybe bumping up against Saad for 2LW minutes. But lots of young skill coming.

Reactions: JordanGalhanth

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
We used to always decline invites to attend the timeshare info sessions when on holidays at a resort, but one year the incentive to attend was better than usual, so we decided to go. Half an hour of the main speaker, then you break off as a couple and talk to an individual rep. Most people just said thanks but no thanks at that point. A few cheers would go up as people bought one. (Decent chance they were just paid plants to try to build up excitement). My wife wanted to leave, as we had no intention of buying one, but there were so many holes in the presentation that I couldn’t resist hanging around and having some fun. So for the next hour I grilled the rep on why their ‘investment’ was way over valued. Soon the next in command was brought in, followed by the head honcho. Of course the price kept dropping every ten minutes, usually coinciding with a question of mine they couldn’t answer. By the end of it the offer was discounted by around 80%, but it still didn’t make financial sense. I enjoyed it, in my warped way, but needless to say, my wife refuses to go to any more of the presentations with me. ;)
Not going to lie, I also find great satisfaction in wasting the time of the people that are trying to run scams lol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So you're telling me you're going to turn down 2 million a year cause John's Q public feelings might be hurt ??? The bottom line is, I don't know what tomorrow will bring and if I can take care of the welfare of my loved ones today then damn right I am going to
f*** John Q public. There is more to life than $. He could've made a damn good living and still been close to his friends and family. When it's time for him to maybe start a family, let's see how much easier it is hiring a nanny or doing it on his own with his wife vs. having family to help.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
f*** John Q public. There is more to life than $. He could've made a damn good living and still been close to his friends and family. When it's time for him to maybe start a family, let's see how much easier it is hiring a nanny or doing it on his own with his wife vs. having family to help.

It's tough to say. Young players haven't made a lot of money in their career and other things they probably want to do like for example pay off the debt of parents/siblings/family members/friends, get a certain, downpayment on a property, etc. etc. etc.

2.5 mill vs 1.2 mill or something is a big difference.

Broberg is the one I'm more miffed on losing, Yamamoto and Puljujarvi had some good years here too and eventually washed out as nothing.

If I was working somewhere and someone else offered to more than double my salary, unless it was a really terrible work environment, I would take it. Nothing personal.

In hindsight we probably should've passed on signing Henrique immediately and signed Broberg at 1.8 mill or 1.7 mill as soon as his camp offered that.

Even if Holloway bolts, you'd have 1.2 mill then left over to acrue cap on, which you could probably then just use to fill the Henrique gap at the deadline.

Reactions: Darkwinter

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Not going to lie, I also find great satisfaction in wasting the time of the people that are trying to run scams lol

My dad was a really good salesman, and while most of us dread the calls from telemarketers, he seemed to really enjoy it. He would get them off of their script within the first few seconds, always asking for their name, what city they were calling from, etc. Always entertaining listening to this one sided phone call, with my dad basically conducting an interview. It usually concluded with my dad trying to sell the telemarketer the product of his business, and the flabbergasted telemarketer hanging up.

• Haha

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He regrets it and he’s self rationalized his decision.

“They handled it weird” is a typical rationalization statement - he’s trying to convince himself it was the right move to leave by inventing an indignation out of thin air.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I honestly think there is a decent chance that he would have had better long term opportunities in Edmonton. Maybe not next year but on a cheap deal there is good chance he would have been used in lots of different situations including time with Leon and McDavid.

On St. Louis he is actually competing with a lot of young forwards and the Blues top two prospects are both forwards. There is also little chance to play with the type of skill he may have had on the Oilers.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
View attachment 904477

This tidbit was interesting. Based on what Holloway is saying about his wrist, I don’t see how he would be able to get a decent shot off without some discomfort. Even a hard pass or dump in could be a bit painful.

Quote makes no sense to me. Your wrist is mangled but you can play hockey at the highest level but can’t do other things? Yeah ok.

Honestly the injuries suck for the kid. If his wrist is as mangled as he says, maybe it’s good that he took the money.

Reactions: Duke74 and McDrai

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He regrets it and he’s self rationalized his decision.

“They handled it weird” is a typical rationalization statement - he’s trying to convince himself it was the right move to leave by inventing an indignation out of thin air.
It's not weird if he's referencing to his camp's alleged $1.3 million ask when the Oilers made three low offers for 1, 2 and 3 years that included sub-million dollar, then did not make a counter offer.

Holloway's comfortable with the outcome which he knew and was briefed was a viable possibility when the market was invited in beginning on July 1. Leaving a tight team in a winning window certainly would have some sadness and disappointment. But he's eyes wide open about St. Louis and where that organization is at to play.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I honestly think there is a decent chance that he would have had better long term opportunities in Edmonton. Maybe not next year but on a cheap deal there is good chance he would have been used in lots of different situations including time with Leon and McDavid.

On St. Louis he is actually competing with a lot of young forwards and the Blues top two prospects are both forwards. There is also little chance to play with the type of skill he may have had on the Oilers.
I fully agree and have stated that throughout. The Oil top 6 frankly top 9 wings are old and in Skinner's case it's a 1 year deal. Lots of runway for Holloway to have onboard at 3W and continue to move for time within the top 6. He showed well as a Draisaitl winger when he pushed up the lineup in playoffs for more ice-time.

There was a real viable pathway for Holloway in Edmonton. And the strong Blues prospect pipeline tilting to skill forwards places him in a more challenging situation for ice-time and frankly cheap contracts over the next 2-3 years as their prospect forward talent onboards for NHL jobs. Why I've predicted Holloway is a Flame within 3 years.

Unfortunately there wasn't apparently any team negotiations moving from initial 1, 2 and 3 year tabled offers. With some movement this might have been pro-actively solved and taking 1 leg of a 2 legged double jeopardy offer sheet off the table.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
No hockey player owes the fan anything. As much as we make Gods out of them. They are humans like you and I and they are out to make a living and do what is best for their career, livelihood ,and welfare

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Then why the salt?
I think he is just trying to shift the blame on Oilers and it being a business instead of just admitting that he wanted his money and got it.

"Fans dont really understand" that it's business is the only comment that rubbed me the wrong way.
He was advised to "take care of himself" and he did just that

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It's tough to say. Young players haven't made a lot of money in their career and other things they probably want to do like for example pay off the debt of parents/siblings/family members/friends, get a certain, downpayment on a property, etc. etc. etc.

2.5 mill vs 1.2 mill or something is a big difference.

Broberg is the one I'm more miffed on losing, Yamamoto and Puljujarvi had some good years here too and eventually washed out as nothing.

If I was working somewhere and someone else offered to more than double my salary, unless it was a really terrible work environment, I would take it. Nothing personal.

In hindsight we probably should've passed on signing Henrique immediately and signed Broberg at 1.8 mill or 1.7 mill as soon as his camp offered that.

Even if Holloway bolts, you'd have 1.2 mill then left over to acrue cap on, which you could probably then just use to fill the Henrique gap at the deadline.
All this is assuming Broberg wanted to be here and was ok with playing the right side long term.
Holloway bolted because Broberg asked him to bolt.

I'll take Henrique 50 out of 50 times over Broberg on this team.

Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad