Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
This is actually stuff they should teach in school explicitly instead of some of the other stuff they teach in math. People need to know this sort of thing for making basic life choices for things like mortgages and things like car leases. Otherwise, one ends up at the mercy of slick salesmen.

I once had a car salesman try to explain to me and my wife why a car lease was such a great deal when it was actually terrible. But he could not even tell me how the payments were calculated never mind compare it with any other form of purchase. I tried to explain to him that we could do the assessment ourselves but he simply said it was too complicated for a customer to understand so I should take his word. My guess is that most of his customers bought his pitch which while brutally incorrect sounded very convincing.

I mean, they do pretty explicitly teach that in highschool math.

Screenshot_20240901-154134.png

Certainly they covered it in Math 31 and Math 30-1 AP when I took them over a decade ago, and they're all over the 20-3 stream rubrics anyway.

Reactions: McDoused

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Location is good, but it is FUGLY. That is why. Somebody will do the whole thing over if it makes sense
Location isn't that great actually. Has a great view out back bit it fronts the busy traffic circle right at the top of groat road.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Location isn't that great actually. Has a great view out back bit it fronts the busy traffic circle right at the top of groat road.
I have been there a few times in the area visiting some of the gharmezian brothers. It's still a secluded(sh) area. I could see somebody building there easily. Price has to come down.

The dads also have a entire culdesac (besides a few owners) to them selves. The driveways are all one street.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Ahh yes, the glorious discussion of manners to cheat the taxman for rich people. Here’s a suggestion, halve the size of government and drop taxes for everyone. T he e money doesn’t disappear. The people who make it decide on what to do with it.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
f*** John Q public. There is more to life than $. He could've made a damn good living and still been close to his friends and family. When it's time for him to maybe start a family, let's see how much easier it is hiring a nanny or doing it on his own with his wife vs. having family to help.
I really thought seeing how Kostin’s year went last year people might be more open to this idea. He got his money(which was something like 500k per more iirc), but never fit in Detroit which lead to him being in and out of the lineup and eventually dumped to the bottom feeder of the league. He likely wouldn’t ever fully admit it but the fact that he showed up the a playoff game in Edmonton as a fan this spring shows he’s got some degree of regret about how things played out. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Holloway if things don’t work how he’s hoping in St Louis.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I mean, they do pretty explicitly teach that in highschool math.

View attachment 904520

Certainly they covered it in Math 31 and Math 30-1 AP when I took them over a decade ago, and they're all over the 20-3 stream rubrics anyway.
Interesting. The notion of principle value and in general amortization is most definitely not a natural subject for Math 31 which is primarily a Calculus course and these concepts are inherently discrete at this level. You might see exponential growth in MATH 31 but this is more specialized. That said basic financial literacy is actually finding its way in curricula across the country but it needs to be taught at a much lower grade since it really is very basic numerical literacy.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I really thought seeing how Kostin’s year went last year people might be more open to this idea. He got his money(which was something like 500k per more iirc), but never fit in Detroit which lead to him being in and out of the lineup and eventually dumped to the bottom feeder of the league. He likely wouldn’t ever fully admit it but the fact that he showed up the a playoff game in Edmonton as a fan this spring shows he’s got some degree of regret about how things played out. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Holloway if things don’t work how he’s hoping in St Louis.

Don’t think Holloway would be dumb enough to show his face at an Oiler playoff game. Would get his ass booed, wouldn’t get the same reception Kostin got.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Interesting. The notion of principle value and in general amortization is most definitely not a natural subject for Math 31 which is primarily a Calculus course and these concepts are inherently discrete at this level. You might see exponential growth in MATH 31 but this is more specialized. That said basic financial literacy is actually finding its way in curricula across the country but it needs to be taught at a much lower grade since it really is very basic numerical literacy.
Ask your kid if he wants 1.1x money a year from now and see what he says.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Math 31. gross.. still trying to figure how how learning about anti derivatives was so critical in high-school or uni.

Only really important if you're talking calculus in university. Otherwise it's not important at all.

Generally I think we could teach calculus better, we tend to bog you down with definitions some rote memorization for years before we give you any practical application or understanding of how the concept actually works.

I don't think calculus as a concept truly clicked for me until I was talking about strength of materials and beam theory years later and doing bending moment diagrams and I realized by happenstance how integration and differentiation actually works and why it works.

Reactions: LTIR

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Without calculus you may well be living in the dark ages. :)
Hmm, dark ages would be square root of minus 1.

Don’t think Holloway would be dumb enough to show his face at an Oiler playoff game. Would get his ass booed, wouldn’t get the same reception Kostin got.
Why he wanted to get paid. He was upfront with it. You can’t ask for anything else.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Ask your kid if he wants 1.1x money a year from now and see what he says.
On the flip side if I sell your kids a credit card with a $20K limit and a 26% interest rate with a $10 per month minimum balance and let them loose I may own your first-born grandchild! :)

Last edited:
  • Haha

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I shouldn’t have sat on the deck drinking and reading Wittgenstein. I just about brought Mandelbrot sets into the calculus discussion.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
1) It works because at a certain point the assumption that the function can be estimated as a straight line is effective. Which separates the mathematical characterization of number sets.

2) I shouldn’t have sat on the deck drinking and reading Wittgenstein. I just about brought Mandelbrot sets into the calculus discussion.
1) Brilliant observation! If one understands this, one knows the essence of Calculus.
2) Fractals push the boundaries of Calculus. But anyone who has walked the shoreline of Cape Breton should fee them in their bones.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Imaginary?
Math used to characterize electricity, as it in a light bulb.

1) Brilliant observation! If one understands this, one knows the essence of Calculus.
2) Fractals push the boundaries of Calculus. But anyone who has walked the shoreline of Cape Breton should fee them in their bones.
The electrical charge in my heart is more compelling for me.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
SO much talk about money

Money is in the eye of the beholder

What is a persons mission?
What are their goals?

You start from there.

Not every human being on this earth just jumps at $$. Most do. Probably over 90%.

In these athletes percentile, you are such a failure if you can't even turn a 3 year ELC into a lot of money going forward. Pure failure. Unless you are a drug addict, alcoholic, etc. You are just dumb with $$ if you cannot turn 2+ million gross into anything for your whole life.

Guys like Leon, etc do not need any more of it. It's an ego thing. He could take 1 dollar more than McDavid and make a statement if he wants. He isn't. He will be the highest paid player.

Leon and Connor can literally just bank $$ into an interest account in 2 years and literally earn up to 5K PER DAY in interest. Think about that. Imagine earning up to 150K PER MONTH for sitting on your ass and/or compounding it?

You don't come across many people who would do that. They would still be fine.

I know a guy (in his 60's) who is in the position and does this. He can't even spend his interest. Nevermind his actual Principle. I can still acknowledge the skill and work it takes to make this $$. Just like Hollywood. These people live in a completely different world.

I don't get attached to any of them and I am a hardcore hockey fan. I don't give 2 shi** about *cap percentage*. They still make a shit load even if we turn the dial back and the cap goes up. Talks about inflation, etc mean nothing when it comes to these guys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad