Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
To the Oilers though?
Worth a shot

Maybe they'd want to avoid it, but maybe not. What's funny and tragic is that the Flames have the best players for us by far, out of any seller.

Like really, do we want Connor Murphy or David Savard? They are good but imo a risk of being too much like Ceci. We need a dynamic puck moving RD, whose value isn't in their points

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
In grade 12 I had room for two option classes, so being like most lazy high school students, I signed up for what I figured were two of the easiest courses, bookkeeping and typing. Turned out both were among the best courses I ever took in school, with long term value.

Ok. Full disclosure, I too went to a comprehensive high school and took typing because cute chicks were enrolled in it. Never regretted the decision. Was the best 50 minutes of my day.

Bob, I get you.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Worth a shot

Maybe they'd want to avoid it, but maybe not. What's funny and tragic is that the Flames have the best players for us by far, out of any seller.

Like really, do we want Connor Murphy or David Savard? They are good but imo a risk of being too much like Ceci. We need a dynamic puck moving RD, whose value isn't in their points
Of course worth a shot. But what's the cost for Andersson? Even if the Flames are willing to deal him to Edmonton it is certainly going to be at a premium compared to what other teams offered. Do we even have the draft/prospect value to make it happen? For example, does a 1st+Savoie+Kulak (some cap would need to go back presumably) even make it happen?

Weegar I don't see how you even really make fit. They aren't retaining on that contract.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I keep hearing how the Oilers are old but where are the average ages of teams for when the season starts?

I've added Dermott because I expect someone to come in as a 7D or for us to make a trade.

Foegele (28) < Arvidsson (31) = +3
McLeod (25) > Savoie (20) = -5
Holloway (23) = Podkolzin (23) = 0
Carrick (32) = Skinner (32) = 0
Broberg (23) < Emberson = +1
Desharnais (28) > Dermott (27) = -1
Ceci (30) = Stetcher (30) = 0

We also lost Gagner (35) and Campbell (32) who will both be replaced by younger players.

I get Skinner and Arvidsson in the top 6 makes us older than Foegele and McLeod in the top 6 but that's not necessary a bad thing with Savoie positioned to come in and take a top 9 spot to offset that.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Of course worth a shot. But what's the cost for Andersson? Even if the Flames are willing to deal him to Edmonton it is certainly going to be at a premium compared to what other teams offered. Do we even have the draft/prospect value to make it happen? For example, does a 1st+Savoie+Kulak (some cap would need to go back presumably) even make it happen?

Weegar I don't see how you even really make fit. They aren't retaining on that contract.
Where there is a will there is a way. I agree on Weager but if our scouting and management feel he's the guy, then there must be a way. And sure I think your suggested value is in the right area.

For perspective, sure these Dmen are wanted around the league, but they aren't elite. Nobody is giving crazy value for either. There's other things to add too.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Where there is a will there is a way. I agree on Weager but if our scouting and management feel he's the guy, then there must be a way. And sure I think your suggested value is in the right area.

For perspective, sure these Dmen are wanted around the league, but they aren't elite. Nobody is giving crazy value for either. There's other things to add too.

I dont see how the Oilers are able to add a long term contract though. They won't have the cap space next year.

Next season we have 15 players signed for a total of 63.28M. If the cap goes up another 4M (92M total) that would give us 28.72M remaining.

Lets assume Draisaitl comes in around 13.5M and Bouchard is 10M, baring some crazy deferred salary shenanigans. That would give Edmonton only a 5.22M with a 17 man roster.

Skinner, Perry, Brown, Ryan and Emberson come off the books. Assuming we bring in 3 guys around 850k and another at 1M that only leaves 1.67M in cap space.

The only way we can make room for a guy like Weegar is if Evander Kane is moved somewhere.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Flames would ask for something ridiculous like Savoie + 1st for Andersson or Weegar.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I dont see how the Oilers are able to add a long term contract though. They won't have the cap space next year.

Next season we have 15 players signed for a total of 63.28M. If the cap goes up another 4M (92M total) that would give us 28.72M remaining.

Lets assume Draisaitl comes in around 13.5M and Bouchard is 10M, baring some crazy deferred salary shenanigans. That would give Edmonton only a 5.22M with a 17 man roster.

Skinner, Perry, Brown, Ryan and Emberson come off the books. Assuming we bring in 3 guys around 850k and another at 1M that only leaves 1.67M in cap space.

The only way we can make room for a guy like Weegar is if Evander Kane is moved somewhere.
Well even with Ekholm we had a long term deal with retention. But of course to get 2 million ish retention long term would hurt but maybe it could be done. And yes those cap realities are real, but does that mean that we are doomed to having league min guys on 2RD? It seems to me that we should be cementing our top4 D as a rule, and then looking for bargains at forward such as Skinner.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Flames would ask for something ridiculous like Savoie + 1st for Andersson or Weegar.
Is that a ridiculous offer? A prime years age 27 23:50 greasy game RD, $4.55 AAV for small skill likely winger and a late 1st. Or the 50 point age 30 RD guy locked in with team control. Can always find cheap salary winger options. Harder to find quality top pairRD/2RD types.

I make that deal all day. But I'd anticipate Flamers would find better offers outside of their provincial boundaries.

Last edited:

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Nurse

I give it to them. I don't give 2 shits about life after MDrai. Been thee done that. Bring on some bad years. This core has already peaked without a cup. I would consider it a failure. Lets hope we get 1.
You think McDrai want tonsign for 8 years and have the last 5 of them with AHLers filling out 3rd amd 4th line?

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I would definitely do that for Weegar if they were keeping some of the cap hit. The challenge is that he's signed for another 7 years (at a steal of a deal at $6.25M) so getting the Flames (and another team potentially) to hold on to cap would be crazy expensive.

Weegar is a legit top pairing guy and he'd be a perfect fit for us on the second pairing. Alas, it's not going to happen but it's nice to dream!

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Weegar
Gleason-Emberson
Stecher

Andersson would be a great fit too and it's probably more realistic given his contract. He only makes $1.5M more than Kulak so a trade involving the two would be possible given the Flames would only need to eat the cap hit for 2 more years. I'd definitely be okay giving up the 1st in a deal although I wouldn't include Savoie as well.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Andersson
Gleason-Emberson
Stecher

Reactions: McTonyBrar

jproilfan

Jun 11, 2014
I'm not entirely certain, but there might be some complexity around how deferred salary and taxation work for NHL players changing residency. From what I understand, salary is often taxed where the work is performed, rather than the place of residence. In the case of an NHL player, this could be challenging to navigate since there's clear evidence of them playing in North America.

However, I'm not an expert in international sports contracts or taxation. It might be worth looking into how deferred salary is specifically treated in these situations, as there could be nuances I'm not aware of. Has anyone come across official sources or examples of how this has been handled for other NHL players who've changed residency?

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
You think McDrai want tonsign for 8 years and have the last 5 of them with AHLers filling out 3rd amd 4th line?
If they don't want that, they will do what they can to take a tad bit less.

I don't know if athletes for the most part are just dumb (uneducated), It's an ego thing (I think this is it) or it's pressure from the NHLPA.

Any competent human being with their salary can make a shit load of money that is generational, outside of hockey.

To me, you either want to stay and win somewhere, or go for the bag.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm not entirely certain, but there might be some complexity around how deferred salary and taxation work for NHL players changing residency. From what I understand, salary is often taxed where the work is performed, rather than the place of residence. In the case of an NHL player, this could be challenging to navigate since there's clear evidence of them playing in North America.

However, I'm not an expert in international sports contracts or taxation. It might be worth looking into how deferred salary is specifically treated in these situations, as there could be nuances I'm not aware of. Has anyone come across official sources or examples of how this has been handled for other NHL players who've changed residency?
Here you go:

I suspect all deferred money will be in the form of signing bonuses.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Worth a shot

I think the SCF showed that they're fine with one Ceci-type in the lineup. Issues start when they have both Ceci and Vinny in the lineup and need to play one of them with Nurse.

I also don't think Emberson or Stecher are a falloff from a 22 year old Broberg/Kulak on their offside, both of whom already went a long way to fixing the problems on the 2nd pairing.

Though now the issue is the pendulum has swung too far, and they don't really have a good replacement for Ceci and Vinny unless Kemp/Wanner continue to take steps forward or Josh Brown suddenly becomes NHL quality. That's where they do have a need for a Savard or Murphy type.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager Kemp wins the 7th job in camp over Brown, and for the Oil to use the first 15 games to see which of Emberson or Stecher is better. After that, they'll swap out the loser to give Kemp an audition.

By game 25/30 they should know if they need to upgrade on a) Stecher/Emberson next to Nurse, b) Kemp (or Brown) next to Kulak, or c) both.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think the SCF showed that they're fine with one Ceci-type in the lineup. Issues start when they have both Ceci and Vinny in the lineup and need to play one of them with Nurse.

I also don't think Emberson or Stecher are a falloff from a 22 year old Broberg/Kulak on their offside, both of whom already went a long way to fixing the problems on the 2nd pairing.

Though now the issue is the pendulum has swung too far, and they don't really have a good replacement for Ceci and Vinny unless Kemp/Wanner continue to take steps forward or Josh Brown suddenly becomes NHL quality. That's where they do have a need for a Savard or Murphy type.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager Kemp wins the 7th job in camp over Brown, and for the Oil's to use the first 15 games to see which of Emberson or Stecher is better, and after that, they'll swap out the loser to give Kemp an audition.

By game 25/30 they should know if they need to upgrade on a) Stecher/Emberson next to Nurse, b) Kemp (or Brown) next to Kulak, or c) both.
I do think that if we do a trade for an expensive rd it would be close to the deadline but there were speculations that the Oilers wanted a move now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad