Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Gretz and co should have kicked Tikkannen to the curbs then. Language is really not a deal breaker. As if North Americans don't go overseas and play.

Fact is that the Oilers screwed up Puljus development. It may be due to a handshake deal between Puljus camp and Oilers but the guy should have developed in the AHL.
They all speak hockey. Bunch of guys 18-21 years old should be able to figure it out even if one person struggles badly with English.

Reactions: LTIR

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
McLellan and Chia were both probably close to the worst possible people you could have for GM and Coach with Pulju. Chia as a pushover is helping nurture a feeling of entitlement in Pulju and his agent at one level, and at the coaching level you have this guy that tolerates no entitlement, and you may as well take a crap on the team logo if you display it at all.

If Pulju was actually a really good player like we hoped, he would have done OK still. Actual elite players find ways to contribute and make themselves indispensable. The coach has no choice but to play you if he wants to keep his job. But, if you end up like a Yak, or how Pulju played, and you're in this middle area where people know you have all these tools but you can't put it together, you're vulnerable. And if you top that off by acting entitled with a guy like McLellan? You are quickly downgraded to a piece of trash. You're barely going to get any opportunity to dig yourself out of the hole you're in.

McLellan actually did find a mentor for Pulju in Strome, and he was looking like he was going to leave that alone. But back we go to Chia with one of his crappiest trades as the Oilers GM. Just so horrible in so many ways all the way through.

Excellent post. Yes, if he'd been better he'd found a way. But I'd like to add there are some examples of young players who were not "better", but simply had another kind of a coach or maybe a team that desperately needed a young star and thus gave the player more opportunities than he deserved. I believe McLellan had an attitude problem towards Pulju and maybe it was emphasized if Chia really tried to push Jesse to a bigger role. It's hard to see McLellan liking something like that.

I've tried to find the explicit interview but I cannot so you will have to take my word for it that I do independently remember the comments. We do also know that TMac spent a lot of time with JP when he was first in town.

Again though this was not just Leavin's. Here are some comments by Ray Ferraro that echo what has been said. You will notice that they speak of confidence, something I know you have talked about.

Jesse Puljujarvi has been in a "pile of mud" with the Edmonton Oilers, says NHL's most astute insider

I agree that people are probably making a bigger deal of it than they probably should. JP could come in and show he has grown and none of what happens in the past should matter.

I think if the truth be known most people here are like you and they are hoping that Holland signs him and that he succeeds with the team. Really that is the best for everyone.

A big problem with the quote you sent is that it was written after Pulju's season had ended and when there were all kinds of nasty talk and speculation about his future. There's articles, also from the "insiders" and his teammates, that show Jesse in a very different light. It's all about the ones we pick.

While more is expected from a 4th pick there were only a few forwards who actually scored decet points during the season. Two of them are among the best in the NHL and one is a former #1 pick. The bottom6 was quiet, very very quiet actually.

E: I'll leave this here. I hope Puljujarvi returns to Oilers and that the fans wouldn't jump on him immediately if things don't go perfectly. If he's traded Mittelstadt would be a very interesting and realistic option.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
A big problem with the quote you sent is that it was written after Pulju's season had ended and when there were all kinds of nasty talk and speculation about his future. There's articles, also from the "insiders" and his teammates, that show Jesse in a very different light. It's all about the ones we pick.

While more is expected from a 4th pick there were only a few forwards who actually scored decet points during the season. Two of them are among the best in the NHL and one is a former #1 pick. The bottom6 was quiet, very very quiet actually.

E: I'll leave this here. I hope Puljujarvi returns to Oilers and that the fans wouldn't jump on him immediately if things don't go perfectly. If he's traded Mittelstadt would be a very interesting and realistic option.

Things are never black and white. Nor do two people always see the same thing even when something is staring them in the face. So yes there are definitely two sides to the story.

As I have said, I suspect that the majority of the team's fans want him back and want him to succeed. But if that does not happen, in a fan base as rabid and diverse as the Oilers, there will no doubt be those who will most certainly "jump" on him. He's not alone in this regard, even for players that have succeeded. Paul Coffey was one of the best defensemen to ever play the game and all through his time with the Oilers there were those that wanted him run out town. More recently we have seen something similar with Leon who obviously struggled in his first year and many wanted to write him off. But even now when he had a month like he had in December people turned on him pretty quickly.

Personally, I am one of Nuge's biggest fans so I can sympathise with the feeling of having a player you like constantly criticized.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Things are never black and white. Nor do two people always see the same thing even when something is staring them in the face. So yes there are definitely two sides to the story.

All in all a great post from you, too bad there's no double-like here. I appreciate the polite conversation.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
A couple weeks ago, there was some discussion about I think the TSN panel suggesting Treliving should (or will?) go to the league and ask he be compensated the conditional draft pick from the Oilers because Neal probably would have scored 21+ goals had the stoppage not occurred.

Has anything else come out of that or was it baseless speculation trying to kill air time?

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
A couple weeks ago, there was some discussion about I think the TSN panel suggesting Treliving should (or will?) go to the league and ask he be compensated the conditional draft pick from the Oilers because Neal probably would have scored 21+ goals had the stoppage not occurred.

Has anything else come out of that or was it baseless speculation trying to kill air time?

You'd have to think the league would say no. There is too many variables. Neal was hurt, who is to say he would have been back. Whos to say he would have even scored 2 more? He was pretty cold the last while.

North

Jun 25, 2009
You'd have to think the league would say no. There is too many variables. Neal was hurt, who is to say he would have been back. Whos to say he would have even scored 2 more? He was pretty cold the last while.

It’s a slippery slope. If you decide to prorate that, then you’re going to have to prorate everything else that had a condition that might not be met since the games aren’t being played.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Well that's just it, I think it was just baseless speculation but as I said when this was first being discussed, it would set a very dangerous precedent going forward based on "what if" theories. Treliving couldn't be that dumb to actually go for it, but he did take Lucic off our hands.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Much like the draft picks we lost with the Chia/McLellan hirings, I fully expect us to get screwed on this. No logical reason to think that, just wouldn't be surprised.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Excellent post. Yes, if he'd been better he'd found a way. But I'd like to add there are some examples of young players who were not "better", but simply had another kind of a coach or maybe a team that desperately needed a young star and thus gave the player more opportunities than he deserved. I believe McLellan had an attitude problem towards Pulju and maybe it was emphasized if Chia really tried to push Jesse to a bigger role. It's hard to see McLellan liking something like that.

based on how a ton of fans were wanting to run AA out of town after 5 games, I would bet that Jesse gets 2 games without scoring before every PGT becomes a massive flame fest.

Reactions: Whyme

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

lol, just send Lucic's 2 months of stats when he couldn't score a goal on McDavid's wing. Scoring is hard, you can just assume people would do it. And based on recent trade value, Lucic = Neal, so the case is closed. 2 months with 0 goals is entirely possible for that value level of player.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Of course the Flames will try. My guess is that if the NHL is hell bent for leather to play the playoffs and if Edmonton is in the playoffs they will count playoff goals

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You can’t just alter a legal document, Edmonton would have to agree to that.

And Edmonton will tell those losers to take a hike

This is the letter that Ken Holland will write to Brad T.

Dear Brad,

With respect to your wanting the NHL to pro-rate James Neal's goal total for the 2019-20 season, please f*** off.

Ken

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007
Then why are people talking about hockey in July and having players on expired contracts playing?
Because it's something the players and NHL will have to agree on. If not then the players can tell the NHL to take a hike, just like the poster previously mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium