Confirmed with Link: Linus Ullmark Traded to Senators

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Please consider changing your screen name to Don Sweeney Godfather. It’s getting that bad.

Is what The Godfather is saying really out of the question?

Korpisalo could come in here and revive his game under Boston's goalie coaching and defensive structure, put up terrific numbers and turn himself back into a tradeable asset. I don't think it's that far fetched. I'm not saying I like the deal but if he does revive his game here I won't be shocked at all given the recent history of goaltenders in Boston since 2007-08.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Is what The Godfather is saying really out of the question?

Korpisalo could come in here and revive his game under Boston's goalie coaching and defensive structure, put up terrific numbers and turn himself back into a tradeable asset. I don't think it's that far fetched. I'm not saying I like the deal but if he does revive his game here I won't be shocked at all given the recent history of goaltenders in Boston since 2007-08.

How does this trade in any way help us in the playoffs though? We just had our most tradable asset move out for a pick, a 4th liner who had a handful of healthy scratches for a bottom feeder the last couple years and a backup goalie.

The goal for trading Ullmark should have been to improve our playoff roster. The best chance of playoff roster improvement in this deal is hoping Kastelic out plays Lauko and brazeau for a spot on the 4th line.

By all means korpisalo should revitalize his career here. He will have a better defense and be playing against the weaker teams on the schedule. But he’s not going to be an impact player in the playoffs.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Honestly now the dust has settled its clear he screwed us and would have added Ottawa to his NTL on July 1 and blocked any deal. F him what a coward refusing a trade to a contender at the deadline as a reigning Vezina winner so he could sit on the bench and hug the starter.

He blocked trades to Colorado and LAK that is ridiculous I hope he is booed and I hope he gets lit up like a Christmas tree and gets nothing next year as a UFA.

Sweeney created the issue with NTC.
Linus is doing what any family man would do that puts his family first above all.
Waiting to see what is the best situation for them.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Good morning Wally ♥️

Morning bud.

Have an early day. Heading to med ctr. 8:00 appointment at nuclear medicine 4 hours of tests. Got something going on in my throat. Then followup with Surgeon next Wednesday.

Always something.

Who knows, maybe the radioactive shit theyre shooting me up with will turn me into Spiderman or the Hulk.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Morning bud.

Have an early day. Heading to med ctr. 8:00 appointment at nuclear medicine 4 hours of tests. Got something going on in my throat. Then followup with Surgeon next Wednesday.

Always something.

Who knows, maybe the radioactive shit theyre shooting me up with will turn me into Spiderman or the Hulk.

Best of luck today, Wally!

Reactions: lopey and Gee Wally

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Morning bud.

Always something.

Good Luck!

• Love
Reactions: Gee Wally

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
How does this trade in any way help us in the playoffs though? We just had our most tradable asset move out for a pick, a 4th liner who had a handful of healthy scratches for a bottom feeder the last couple years and a backup goalie.

The goal for trading Ullmark should have been to improve our playoff roster. The best chance of playoff roster improvement in this deal is hoping Kastelic out plays Lauko and brazeau for a spot on the 4th line.

By all means korpisalo should revitalize his career here. He will have a better defense and be playing against the weaker teams on the schedule. But he’s not going to be an impact player in the playoffs.

If Swayman is injured when playoffs come around, Boston has a goalie with experience of winning a series in NHL playoffs.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Let's say the worst case scenario happens and Swayman goes down. Our tandem becomes:

Korpisalo - 276 career NHL games
Bussi - 0 career NHL games

I'd rather have that then Bussi & Dipietro. Both of whom have zero NHL games under their belt.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If Swayman is injured when playoffs come around, Boston has a goalie with experience of winning a series in NHL playoffs.

and this type of mentality is exactly why the bruins won’t win a cup under Sweeney

The bruins can barely get by toronto when Toronto is missing their top two guys for multiple games. They need help up front, not a reclamation project insurance policy if swayman gets injured.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I found this Ottawa fans take on Korpisalo's struggles to be interesting and encouraging.

Senators aren’t playing to Korpisalo’s strengths
This goes for most if not all goalies and defenses. It tells you how poorly a coached team OTT has been. Add in the fact that goaltending is such a mental game at this level, that not trusting your defense put you behind the 8 ball to start.

I know most fans here hate the fact that we took him back in trade. It was not optimal. But if Goalie Bob can put his game back together, and I've already read one article about how Korpi plays the "FLOW" style Essensa teaches,(that he had to teach Ullmark) then we could potentially have a viable backup that can play if Sway get hurt.
His early years, when CBS was highly competitive, with decent numbers. That young CBS goalie dying during the Xmas break in a freak fireworks accident, messed him and Merzlinkins up, badly.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
and this type of mentality is exactly why the bruins won’t win a cup under Sweeney

The bruins can barely get by toronto when Toronto is missing their top two guys for multiple games. They need help up front, not a reclamation project insurance policy if swayman gets injured.
Funny that you mention Toronto in this context, as the series Korpi won with BLUE JACKETS was against Toronto. Also he was lights out in the next series against Tampa who eventually won that years cup.

I wouldn't call him a reclamation project just because the Senators team had a big problem with team defense last season. Forsberg who managed to play over .9 sv% in previous seasons with Senators didnt manage to do any better than Korpisalo while playing less games.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Funny that you mention Toronto in this context, as the series Korpi won with BLUE JACKETS was against Toronto. Also he was lights out in the next series against Tampa who eventually won that years cup.

I wouldn't call him a reclamation project just because the Senators team had a big problem with team defense last season. Forsberg who managed to play over .9 sv% in previous seasons with Senators didnt manage to do any better than Korpisalo while playing less games.

Korpisalo is a career .901 SV%. I have zero doubts when we play him 25-27 games against the bottom 1/3 of the league he will have a .910 or higher save percentage.

But who cares? We just traded our most movable assets and didn’t improve our roster for the playoffs.

Having bussi in over korpisalo for 25 games isn’t going to make us miss the playoffs and korpisalo isn’t going to win us any playoff series.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
He wasn't the "most" movable asset, come dude, he had restrictions on where he'd go and a price on any extension, which is why we got less on the dollar that Ullmark is worth in a perfect world.
This isn't a first in NHL history that this has happened, won't be the last.
Korpi has the potential to be the goalie he was his first 5 years. If he isn't injured and still has his physical attributes, speed, reflexes, etc, there is no reason to think he can't bounce back.
Apparently the B's plan on using him, probably to build him back to being a tradable asset.
LA, which had a good team certainly didn't think he was sh*t, they wanted him back, but OTT assumed that any goalie would play well in there system and that my friend is just not true.
I would not be surprised to see Ullmarks numbers to fall back to average or worse if he is overused(which we've seen, not a >55 games/yr guy))

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Let's say the worst case.scenarion happens and Swayman goes down. Our tandem becomes:

Korpisalo - 276 career NHL games
Bussi - 0 career NHL games

I'd rather have that then Bussi & Dipietro. Both of whom have zero NHL games under their belt.

The flaw in this thinking is that it’s not one or the other.

Bruins would have the draft and all offseason to find a veteran backup goalie on the cheap if they felt they needed one.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I would have preferred Chychrun over a 1st in a weak draft, but apparently they could agree on a extension number either.

It is what t is, now let Goalie Bob put Humpty Korpi back together and trade him at the deadline or if some team loses a goalie.

I do not believe for a minute, that with the cap going up that a competent backup would come in for less than 2-3M. Not anyone that you'd want.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He wasn't the "most" movable asset, come dude, he had restrictions on where he'd go and a price on any extension, which is why we got less on the dollar that Ullmark is worth in a perfect world.
This isn't a first in NHL history that this has happened, won't be the last.
Korpi has the potential to be the goalie he was his first 5 years. If he isn't injured and still has his physical attributes, speed, reflexes, etc, there is no reason to think he can't bounce back.
Apparently the B's plan on using him, probably to build him back to being a tradable asset.
LA, which had a good team certainly didn't think he was sh*t, they wanted him back, but OTT assumed that any goalie would play well in there system and that my friend is just not true.
I would not be surprised to see Ullmarks numbers to fall back to average or worse if he is overused(which we've seen, not a >55 games/yr guy))

I meant most movable asset in the aspect if we moved on from him it wouldn’t hurt our playoff roster. Not how easy/hard it would have been to trade him.

I don’t think you understand. I don’t care about what ullmarks or korpisalos numbers look like next year(good or bad).

I care about the playoff roster. We aren’t going to miss the playoffs next year because of our backup goaltender whether that would be korpisalo or bussi.

Ullmark should have been moved for a player that would have improved the playoff roster or for cap space. If they couldn’t find that then they should have kept Ullmark and tried again at the deadline.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
...the amount of fans who think the people running the organization they love are actively trying to sabotage the team is literally actually crazy.
It’s not active sabotage, I just think Donnie being the “smartest” man in the room is finally gonna start really catching up to him. What’s crazy is the fans who act like it’s beyond reproach to ever have an issue with the guy or the crowd that acts like every move he makes is a master class of planning.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Morning bud.

Always something.

Gee Hulk

Reactions: Gee Wally

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
He can't move him for something that we cannot get. Chychrun would have been the piece to help us this season and beyond, if OTT was the only place Ullmark would approve. they would not extend him at market value, so we took pennies on the dollar.
If Korpi is resurrected and you can flip him at the trade deadline, then it all works out in your view.
Hell, if we had a trade on the table for Draisaitl, one for one for Ullmark, and Ullmark wouldn't waive his NTC....???

We were limited and chose not to go into the season with a lame duck goalie, whom trading at the deadline would sabotage the team chemistry greater than doing it off season.

I agree it was not a great trade and I do not believe under the circumstances that there was any trade out there that would have worked in our favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad