Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I almost moved my previous post to Pulju's thread but I really don't want to be the one to bring it up right now. I apologize and now won't continue here unless I have something to say about trade proposals/rumors.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I almost moved my previous post to Pulju's thread but I really don't want to be the one to bring it up right now. I apologize and now won't continue here unless I have something to say about trade proposals/rumors.
Based on some of the names being thrown out on main boards, rank 1 to 10 the following in a 1:1 trade for Puljujarvi:

Lias Andersson
Casey Mittlestadt
Brett Howden
Alex Formenton
Owen Tippett
Tyson Jost
Alex Georgiev
Noah Gregor
Henrik Borgstrom
Pavel Zacha

Reactions: Whyme

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Could have swore it said almost a full half point higher per 60 at ES not 0.06...? But no matter.

If we're cherry picking even strength numbers, we should probably acknowledge that Pulju's P/60 at even strength away from McDavid(which was 71% of his total ice time) was 18th on the team for forwards.

He picked up four assists in a six game stretch where McDavid was shooting 40%. Let's not pretend like he was a great even strength player after looking at a tiny skewed sample.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There is some speculation over here that Pizza Boy will be going to the SHL this fall. Skellefta, Lulea and Frolunda are holding signing spots open for players currently under contract to NHL teams and might not be released by the start of the CHL games, meaning teams need back up players in place before that. Some are saying they are being told games wont start till Mid August meaning NHL players wont be available for the CHL games right away. For those who do not fallow CHL, here in Europe is is a big thing and with it being a knock out format and not a round robin in the first round. teams need to plan accordingly

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
If we're cherry picking even strength numbers, we should probably acknowledge that Pulju's P/60 at even strength away from McDavid(which was 71% of his total ice time) was 18th on the team for forwards.

He picked up four assists in a six game stretch where McDavid was shooting 40%. Let's not pretend like he was a great even strength player after looking at a tiny skewed sample.

As this discussion continues in this thread I can't resist joining in. I suppose it's such a quiet time anyway it's better to have discussion somewhere.

When it comes to cherry picking... Pulju's numbers with McDavid/Drai were very good, also after the first season. Chiasson was often praised in 2018-2019 but he scored his points mainly with McDavid and in fact Pulju's numbers with McD were better. In the Oilers nobody seemed to score well in the bottom 6 so anyone should agree Pulju's numbers would look very different if he'd got more top 6 and/or PP time. Whether he deserved that is a matter of taste of course.

By the way, it was 4 points in 4 games (one clear point uncounted). McDavid had 9 games without scoring a goal and got his first hat trick in his first game with Pulju. McDavid scored 9 points during that period (and Pulju was also +5) so yes I'd loved to see them together longer. Maybe next season.

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
There is some speculation over here that Pizza Boy will be going to the SHL this fall. Skellefta, Lulea and Frolunda are holding signing spots open for players currently under contract to NHL teams and might not be released by the start of the CHL games, meaning teams need back up players in place before that. Some are saying they are being told games wont start till Mid August meaning NHL players wont be available for the CHL games right away. For those who do not fallow CHL, here in Europe is is a big thing and with it being a knock out format and not a round robin in the first round. teams need to plan accordingly

I've noticed Puljujarvi is pretty popular in Sweden as he was born there so he would probably get a pretty nice salary there. Luleå would be a natural choice as it's just 120km from his home.

But I'm still surprised if he won't play in the NHL. He developed quite nicely in Finland so I'd love to see how he'd do in the Oilers (or some other team) now.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I've noticed Puljujarvi is pretty popular in Sweden as he was born there so he would probably get a pretty nice salary there. Luleå would be a natural choice as it's just 120km from his home.

But I'm still surprised if he won't play in the NHL. He developed quite nicely in Finland so I'd love to see how he'd do in the Oilers (or some other team) now.

there is no doubt he will be back he just does not want to be with the oilers, I believe based upon what I get third hand

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
As this discussion continues in this thread I can't resist joining in. I suppose it's such a quiet time anyway it's better to have discussion somewhere.

When it comes to cherry picking... Pulju's numbers with McDavid/Drai were very good, also after the first season. Chiasson was often praised in 2018-2019 but he scored his points mainly with McDavid and in fact Pulju's numbers with McD were better. In the Oilers nobody seemed to score well in the bottom 6 so anyone should agree Pulju's numbers would look very different if he'd got more top 6 and/or PP time. Whether he deserved that is a matter of taste of course.

By the way, it was 4 points in 4 games (one clear point uncounted). McDavid had 9 games without scoring a goal and got his first hat trick in his first game with Pulju. McDavid scored 9 points during that period (and Pulju was also +5) so yes I'd loved to see them together longer. Maybe next season.

They played six games together and he had three points with McDavid and one with Drai/Slepy during that stretch.

The hat trick was in the second game.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
They played six games together and he had three points with McDavid and one with Drai/Slepy during that stretch.

The hat trick was in the second game.

The hat trick was against the Stars, which was the first game Pulju started on McDavid's line. Naturally the credit goes to McD but they created a pretty good amount of chances together.

They played together four games starting from that game against the Stars. Before that they were united (for the 3rd period?) in the game against the Kings. They also had some shifts in the later game against the Coyotes before Drai replaced him.

Pulju had his ups and downs but he wasn't really too bad in his first season.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/are-the-edmonton-oilers-doing-right-by-jesse-puljujarvi

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The hat trick was against the Stars, which was the first game Pulju started on McDavid's line. Naturally the credit goes to McD but they created a pretty good amount of chances together.

They played together four games starting from that game against the Stars. Before that they were united (for the 3rd period?) in the game against the Kings. They also had some shifts in the later game against the Coyotes before Drai replaced him.

Are the Edmonton Oilers doing right by Jesse Puljujarvi?

They played six straight games together with the Kings game being the first.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Thank you! But it was still just four straight games :) I checked this forum very carefully to see the opening lines and what happened in the games. They had more minutes together in those two extra games than I thought, but Drai played more with McDavid than Jesse did in the sixth game.

He was McDavid's most played with RW at 5v5 in all six games.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/are-the-edmonton-oilers-doing-right-by-jesse-puljujarvi

He was pretty clearly overmatched right from training camp on.

It's a joke that he wasn't assigned to the Condors to start the season.

It was a joke then and it looks even worse in hindsight.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Its encouraging that it seems like we have a bunch of teams interested all of a sudden and might get a decent deal.

Chia would have settled for a 3rd as soon as he could get it.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
He was McDavid's most played with RW at 5v5 in all six games.

What's the source? I'm curious as I can't find a way to see that kind of info automatically. To my eye it looks that at least Eberle played clearly more.

Eberle+McDavid had 22 games with over 10 ES minutes together, Pulju+McDavid 5 games. Eberle+McD had 18 games with at least 13 minutes together, Pulju+McD none. Of course Pulju's season lasted just 28 games but still the difference looks clear. Anyway I'd better leave this here.

E: Sorry you were talking about the six games. I leave this here and trust you've checked the facts, but Drai replaced Pulju in the sixth game and played more with McDavid.

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
He was pretty clearly overmatched right from training camp on.

It's a joke that he wasn't assigned to the Condors to start the season.

It was a joke then and it looks even worse in hindsight.

I know fighting that this is like fighting against a windmill. Maybe he should've been sent to the AHL but compared to his ice-time his stats really were quite fine. A bit before he was sent down his points/60 and +- were both the 4th best of the team. So was his corsi. I just read through old GDTs and he was mostly doing fine enough until the last stint of games where he sat more in the pressbox than played. Anyway, I guess I seem annoying to some so I jump off now.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What's the source? I'm curious as I can't find a way to see that kind of info automatically. To my eye it looks that at least Eberle played clearly more.

Eberle+McDavid had 22 games with over 10 ES minutes together, Pulju+McDavid 5 games. Eberle+McD had 18 games with at laest 13 minutes together, Pulju+McD none. Of course Pulju's season lasted just 28 games but still the difference looks clear. Anyway I'd better leave this here.

There's WOWYs for each game if you click the Date/Score part on the left on that page I linked earlier and then click View Full Report at the bottom.

Reactions: Whyme

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
If we cant find a fair trade for Puljujarvi this summer, I would let him play in the SHL. A strong season in the SHL will increase his trade value.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The Oilers have no say in where he plays overseas.

yes and no. The oilers know that he wants to come back to the NHL and the oilers own his rights. He does not want to come back to the oilers and as long as the oilers own his rights they have control of that. Oilers have good contacts and good relationships in the SHL and they maybe able to help get Pool Party a spot where his talents will shine. raise his value and the oilers then maybe able to get value for him. So it would be a win win for both sides

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If we cant find a fair trade for Puljujarvi this summer, I would let him play in the SHL. A strong season in the SHL will increase his trade value.
If he doesn't have trade value now, I don't see how another year drastically will change that.

If he can't be dealt he should just sign with the Oilers and come over. If things don't go well he can go on waivers and any other team can take him.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

so points scored with Connor don’t count? Interesting how people omit parts of whole stats to suit their bias. There’s plenty of ways to show Jesse struggled in the nhl, why the need to invent ways to make it look worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad