OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Fields has a year to just figure some shit out. I'd much rather roll into a Fields era than draft another gamble in the 1st round again so soon.

He's a big smart kid that has absurd physical tools. We'd be stupid to not try to reclaim him a bit. He's worth the gamble.

Accuracy problems though? I can only think of one successful QB off the top of my head that succeeded with that problem, McNabb.

Fields isn't going to turn into a McNabb. He just won't. Sure if it makes you sleep better at night he was worth the risk.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
@Mr Jiggyfly and I both told ya'll Fields was garbage.
Victory lapping offseason minicamp beat reports :laugh:.

Tomlin and Arthur Smith have both used the "pole position" term when talking to the media about this QB battle and if history is any indication, it's probably not going to change in training camp.

You've got to imagine they have more comfort in the 12 year vet being able to run their offense effectively. I would hope Russ has the edge over Fields in things like anticipation, ball placement, and just overall command of the offense in a practice setting.

It's June, now that the Tomlin deal is done I guess there's nothing else to talk about until Latrobe, barring any big trades or extensions to Cam/Najee/Muth etc...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Tomlin and Arthur Smith have both used the "pole position" term when talking to the media about this QB battle and if history is any indication, it's probably not going to change in training camp.

You've got to imagine they have more comfort in the 12 year vet being able to run their offense effectively. I would hope Russ has the edge over Fields in things like anticipation, ball placement, and just overall command of the offense in a practice setting.

It's June, now that the Tomlin deal is done I guess there's nothing else to talk about until Latrobe, barring any big trades or extensions to Cam/Najee/Muth etc...
Well, to be fair it is based on reporting and analysis from experts from the media. And they are always accurate.

Also, this is what, a week or so with a brand new team, new teammates, new system. I have no clue why we shouldn't expect a seamless transition. It has been an entire week after all.

Reactions: WickedWrister

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Its was never going to be a battle if fields is going to be useful its in goal line and as a package player. He is going to have to play some wr some rb.

Well, to be fair it is based on reporting and analysis from experts from the media. And they are always accurate.

Also, this is what, a week or so with a brand new team, new teammates, new system. I have no clue why we shouldn't expect a seamless transition. It has been an entire week after all.
They are practicing against air without pads this is the easy part

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Accuracy problems though? I can only think of one successful QB off the top of my head that succeeded with that problem, McNabb.

Fields isn't going to turn into a McNabb. He just won't. Sure if it makes you sleep better at night he was worth the risk.

There are quite a few examples. McNabb is a good one. Josh Allen used to be in the 50's. Deshaun Watson (pre-Cleveland) had some accuracy issues and he seemed to have figured it out before he needed to take a seat.

We lose nothing. I'm going to be optimistic for Fields because he represents our best option at QB right now. I'd rather they try to develop him and let him fail than draft another QB.

Reactions: Night Shift

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

They are practicing against air without pads this is the easy part

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Here’s some positive propaganda I saw on my timeline to counter the negativity:

0F9BDBF8-EE26-4698-9C0D-24D4DE6072B6.jpeg

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
At the end of the day, Fields is a 6'3 guy who runs a 4.4. They will find a way to get him engaged, whether he sucks at QB or not.

The issue that I have had with Fields is him looking down his reads. Until he fixes that, he's going to have a hard time. He played a lot of shotgun at OSU. Play action will be lethal if he ever plays QB though and our running game is clicking.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
If the coaches are tweaking Fields’ mechanics, it’s going to take a little bit of time to make any differences. Chances are he’ll not get fixed, but if he is it’s certainly not going to happen in this portion of the offseason.

Any good and bad should be taken with a huge grain of salt during minicamp. I’ve heard Roman Wilson has been probably the worst receiver but that doesn’t really mean anything at this point.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If the coaches are tweaking Fields’ mechanics, it’s going to take a little bit of time to make any differences. Chances are he’ll not get fixed, but if he is it’s certainly not going to happen in this portion of the offseason.

Any good and bad should be taken with a huge grain of salt during minicamp. I’ve heard Roman Wilson has been probably the worst receiver but that doesn’t really mean anything at this point.
I'm just going by when I saw and remember when he was coming out of college - he never had mechanics problems coming out of OSU. His issues were that he took a ton of snaps in the gun, and he would stare down WRs. I remember many pundits stating that he got better throwing on the run, and that the team he plays with in the NFL need to find creative ways to get him on the move because he's so much better doing that.

I think Fields needed work and time. He has just been trying to survive since he came into the league. I'm hoping with some time to sit and really soak things in from a guy who has been a top QB in the league, he can fix some of the habits he has picked up. I don't think he was a broken player coming into the draft like some guys are. Fields was like Love - he needed to sit and grow on the bench. Not playing for a franchise in shambles.

There is enough blame to go around in Chicago - Fields takes some of that. I just think there is a lot to work with there and this is the perfect situation to get it out of him. If he fails here...he needs to become a WR or HB.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I'm just going by when I saw and remember when he was coming out of college - he never had mechanics problems coming out of OSU. His issues were that he took a ton of snaps in the gun, and he would stare down WRs. I remember many pundits stating that he got better throwing on the run, and that the team he plays with in the NFL need to find creative ways to get him on the move because he's so much better doing that.

I think Fields needed work and time. He has just been trying to survive since he came into the league. I'm hoping with some time to sit and really soak things in from a guy who has been a top QB in the league, he can fix some of the habits he has picked up. I don't think he was a broken player coming into the draft like some guys are. Fields was like Love - he needed to sit and grow on the bench. Not playing for a franchise in shambles.

There is enough blame to go around in Chicago - Fields takes some of that. I just think there is a lot to work with there and this is the perfect situation to get it out of him. If he fails here...he needs to become a WR or HB.

I have my concerns with Wilson at this point, but I don’t think there’s a better guy for Fields to learn from. Wilson’s play style is what Fields needs to try to emulate. And for as corny as he is, I think Wilson will absolutely be willing to take Fields under his wing.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Chinese disinformation.

JK. Everything posted on Tiktok is accurate. That is why Gen Z uses it for their news.

I have my concerns with Wilson at this point, but I don’t think there’s a better guy for Fields to learn from. Wilson’s play style is what Fields needs to try to emulate. And for as corny as he is, I think Wilson will absolutely be willing to take Fields under his wing.
That did work out perfectly for the Steelers.

Fields patterns his game after Wilson.

Obviously not as successfully to this point, but if anyone can get him to where we would love him to go, it would be learning from Wilson.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
The Aiyuk situation is interesting because I believe before the Tomlin do we look alike tweet? He wasn’t active on twitter for over a year. I don’t get AB vibes from him but disgruntled employee I’m looking for a new job vibes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Aiyuk was going to happen, it would have happened by now.

The 49ers clearly don't want to trade him but also don't want to give him a huge extension. Considering they're a win-now team with Purdy on a rookie deal, that extra year of Aiyuk is worth more than what other teams would pay for Aiyuk.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

The 49ers clearly don't want to trade him but also don't want to give him a huge extension. Considering they're a win-now team with Purdy on a rookie deal, that extra year of Aiyuk is worth more than what other teams would pay for Aiyuk.
And who knows when that was recorded, or what it meant.

Even Aiyuk said “They said they don’t want me back…I swear”, it could just be referring to no long term extension. Not a trade.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

I thought the same thing with Metcalf trade. Seahawks are pressed against the cap.
They want a 1st for Brandon no one is giving up that and paying him 30 million a year. They either take a 2nd like Buffalo did with diggs or take the comp in 2 years

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I thought the same thing with Metcalf trade. Seahawks are pressed against the cap.
They want a 1st for Brandon no one is giving up that and paying him 30 million a year. They either take a 2nd like Buffalo did with diggs or take the comp in 2 years

Why would they pick trading him over taking the comp pick? Next year is arguably their best year at winning a super bowl due to Purdy being on his rookie deal.

One year of Aiyuk followed by a 3rd round comp pick is better than a 2nd round pick.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Why would they pick trading him over taking the comp pick? Next year is arguably their best year at winning a super bowl due to Purdy being on his rookie deal.

One year of Aiyuk followed by a 3rd round comp pick is better than a 2nd round pick.
Because that 3rd wouldn’t come to them for 2 seasons they already invested a 1st on a wr and extended Jennings

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1