Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Sure, moderate speed yet he is able to keep up with McDavid.
Moderate skill yet he could score 28pts in 38 AHL games as a 18 yo rookie.
Moderate skill but he could score 17pts in 7games for Fin U20 as a 17yo.
No drive but he could still end up a top 5 scorer in entire Liiga in 19/20.

But whatever helps fill our narrative.
Lol he didn’t have drive here...

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Does JP's skating look any different since his hip surgeries? I watched a couple highlight videos of his 2019-20 season but couldn't tell much.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Chiarelli's handling of Puljujarvi and Yamamoto was incredibly poor. He also wanted to keep Bouchard up but got shut down by McLellan.

Last summer was the first time in forever the Oilers brought in multiple bottom six players who contributed to the team, allowing their prospects to develop outside of the NHL.

Lol what? Yamamoto is a top six forward and Jesse is the one who didn't want to play in the AHL wasn't he?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Lol what? Yamamoto is a top six forward and Jesse is the one who didn't want to play in the AHL wasn't he?
Yamamoto was not a top-six player until this season. This isn't a criticism of him, most players need time to adjust to the pro game.

There is blame on both sides for what has happened to Puljujarvi. Having him play 10 minutes or be a healthy scratch as a raw rookie for the first 40 games did nothing to make him a better player. Either put him in the AHL or let him go to Europe for a season. Last season when he was sent to the AHL he was brought back up after four games and played 12 minutes a night until his season was shut down for the hip surgeries. What good did that do?

Last edited:
Reactions: dawunderboy

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Sure, moderate speed yet he is able to keep up with McDavid.
Moderate skill yet he could score 28pts in 38 AHL games as a 18 yo rookie.
Moderate skill but he could score 17pts in 7games for Fin U20 as a 17yo.
No drive but he could still end up a top 5 scorer in entire Liiga in 19/20.

But whatever helps fill our narrative.
Our narrative that poolparty refuses to play for the team that drafted him, will not put in the work required to succeed in the more difficult North American style of hockey , and then acts like a child when it doesn't go his way? Yeah I guess. He could very easily fix all this with a rear end head removal.

Not his fault that management expected too much of him too soon, but they corrected their mistake and he's being petulant.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yamamoto was not a top-six player until this season. This isn't a criticism of him, most players need time to adjust to the pro game.

There is blame on both sides for what has happened to Puljujarvi. Having him play 10 minutes or be a healthy scratch as a raw rookie for the first 40 games did nothing to make him a better player. Either put him in the AHL or let him go to Europe for a season. Last season when he was sent to the AHL he was brought back up after four games and played 12 minutes a night until his season was shut down for the hip surgeries. What good did that do?
I really disagree with that assessment.

When he was up here and only playing every other game, he was still playing as much as he would have if he were in the AHL. They play less. The Oilers bent over backwards and made every move in the interest of boosting JPs development.

Honestly, I think the main difference in opportunity between JP and Yamamoto was that Yama had a better D and goaltending behind him. When you get the ball rolling in the right direction everthing gets easier and the stress is relieved. That's what JP needed. It's why he should come back. If he wants a good narrative, he can blame his bad play on his bad hips.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I really disagree with that assessment.

When he was up here and only playing every other game, he was still playing as much as he would have if he were in the AHL. They play less. The Oilers bent over backwards and made every move in the interest of boosting JPs development.

Honestly, I think the main difference in opportunity between JP and Yamamoto was that Yama had a better D and goaltending behind him. When you get the ball rolling in the right direction everthing gets easier and the stress is relieved. That's what JP needed. It's why he should come back. If he wants a good narrative, he can blame his bad play on his bad hips.
What...? You send him down to the AHL so he can play in a top-six role, against easier competition, get PP time and be put in different situations (4-on-4, OT, etc.), while learning the North American game. He looked overwhelmed in the NHL almost from the start (to be expected). He was an 18-year-old kid playing a style of hockey he had never played before. Why would anyone throw him to the wolves when it was obvious he wasn't ready? What's he going to learn doing that?

Last edited:
Reactions: Samus44

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Chiarelli's handling of Puljujarvi and Yamamoto was incredibly poor. He also wanted to keep Bouchard up but got shut down by McLellan.

Last summer was the first time in forever the Oilers brought in multiple bottom six players who contributed to the team, allowing their prospects to develop outside of the NHL.

Chia at least did demote Yams when it was clear he was out of his element. Worked out in the end, partly because Yam just went with the flow and worked his butt off the entire time, looking to no one but himself to get better and earn trust of coaches and teammates.

I still believe that the Pulju situation was handicapped from the start when Chia folded vs Pulju and his agent. They used Pulju being able to stay in Finland as leverage to lower the risk of extended AHL time and knew Chia was desperate for a winger. Chia promised to burn ELC years so Pulju would come over, and we had to watch the kid struggle for months to get to the 41st game of the season in his first season to burn the ELC year. All downhill form there. Pulju probably thought he didn't actually deserve to be sent down. This starts conflicts with teammates and McLellan about what NHL ice time he should have had and should get, who he should be playing with so he can't be sent down again. Just a disaster from that first AHL demotion on. His inclination to look outward to blame is there for all to see at this point as well.

Not to say the kid can't grow up and reflect. Hope he's done a lot of that since he took off to Finland.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
What...? You send him down to the AHL so he can play in a top-six role, against easier competition, get PP time and be put in different situations (4-on-4, OT, etc.), while learning the North American game. He looked overwhelmed in the NHL almost from the start (to be expected). He was an 18-year-old kid playing a style of hockey he had never played before. Why would anyone throw him to the wolves when it was obvious he wasn't ready? What's he going to learn doing that?

But he didn't want to go to the AHL did he? I'm not 100% on that

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Chia at least did demote Yams when it was clear he was out of his element. Worked out in the end, partly because Yam just went with the flow and worked his butt off the entire time, looking to no one but himself to get better and earn trust of coaches and teammates.

I still believe that the Pulju situation was handicapped from the start when Chia folded vs Pulju and his agent. They used Pulju being able to stay in Finland as leverage to lower the risk of extended AHL time and knew Chia was desperate for a winger. Chia promised to burn ELC years so Pulju would come over, and we had to watch the kid struggle for months to get to the 41st game of the season in his first season to burn the ELC year. All downhill form there. Pulju probably thought he didn't actually deserve to be sent down. This starts conflicts with teammates and McLellan about what NHL ice time he should have had and should get, who he should be playing with so he can't be sent down again. Just a disaster from that first AHL demotion on. His inclination to look outward to blame is there for all to see at this point as well.

Not to say the kid can't grow up and reflect. Hope he's done a lot of that since he took off to Finland.
I've heard this speculation as well, I'm not 100% if any of it is true. For all I know the kid was homesick and he couldn't relate to his teammates due to the language barrier.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
A few reputable radio guys including stauffer the shill and Gregor did report that McDavid specifically requested not to play with him.
Yah I could see that, should never have been leaked to the press though. Oilers really should do a better job developing these kids both physically and mentally. And maybe add a few Euro guys on the development side of things if you are going to draft from those leagues.

Reactions: MessierII and nabob

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Puljujarvi up until the start of this season was the better player of the 2.
They are 4 months apart in age and Pulju was a much better player in the AHL.
Hitchcock should have left him in the AHL instead of messing with his head further. A longer AHL stint plus a deep playoffs run leading the condors would have given him much needed boost. Oh well.

Reactions: Whyme

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would have a hard time believing that was ever said even if it was reported.
Almost as hard time believing that a player still wants out even after a coach and GM change. It wasn't the contract nor the system otherwise he would have returned. Beef is seemingly with core player(s).

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That is legit? I thought it was just an unfounded rumor.

TMac said it in a presser I believe. He didn’t name names but said something along the lines of how he wasn’t getting top line time because those players were frustrated that he couldn’t keep up to their style. We only have two players who would qualify for that as Nuge publicly said he liked playing with Puljujarvi when they were a line with Jujar and clicked before Jujar getting suspended.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Almost as hard time believing that a player still wants out even after a coach and GM change. It wasn't the contract nor the system otherwise he would have returned. Beef is seemingly with core player(s).

or the lack of Finnish teammates and the feeling of being isolated and an outsider since day one. Part of that does fall on Jesse of course.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
or the lack of Finnish teammates and the feeling of being isolated and an outsider since day one. Part of that does fall on Jesse of course.
They went out of their way to bring in Jokinen and they had Koskinen. I don’t think that’s really an issue.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That is legit? I thought it was just an unfounded rumor.
Kurt Leavins wrote this

"Meanwhile, through all of the above, his teammates struggled to connect with him on the ice. Often, especially on the power play. Puljujarvi would repeatedly head to the wrong spot. He would literally bump into them. And when they would try to explain it to him their words of advice seemed to fall flat. Was he not listening…not understanding…or not agreeing? Eventually, although none of these players would ever dream of saying it in public…I am made to understand that they quietly asked just not to play with him anymore. There’s no suggestion they disliked him as a guy. Just that he was just hard to play with."

and like I said it was said on air by both Stauffer and Gregor. Seems like it was legit.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007
Kurt Leavins wrote this

"Meanwhile, through all of the above, his teammates struggled to connect with him on the ice. Often, especially on the power play. Puljujarvi would repeatedly head to the wrong spot. He would literally bump into them. And when they would try to explain it to him their words of advice seemed to fall flat. Was he not listening…not understanding…or not agreeing? Eventually, although none of these players would ever dream of saying it in public…I am made to understand that they quietly asked just not to play with him anymore. There’s no suggestion they disliked him as a guy. Just that he was just hard to play with."

and like I said it was said on air by both Stauffer and Gregor. Seems like it was legit.
And if it's a communication thing I can't imagine it getting much better while he continues to play in Finland. Does anyone know if he's being tutored in English over there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad