Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah we really rushed Broberg, Bouchard, Yamo, McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, etc.

I think you're living in the past a bit.

Yeah, who have we really rushed in the last decade? All four 1st rounders seemed ready in their rookie season, Yakupov just regressed. The only 2 that I think we rushed were Draisaitl and JP but Draisaitl turned out fine because the Oilers realized their mistake.

Reactions: KYams17

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
HFRangers fans want center prospects last I checked. I don't see the organization decreasing it's emphasis on speed and exchanging McLeod for Andersson, but that's what came to mind when I thought of what fits this equation:

Lias Andersson + CAR 1st '20 <---> Jesse Puljujarvi + _______

I've fallen off of Marody this season, if we could shoehorn him into that blank, that'd be exceptional.

The only solid thing about this rumour is the notion that Holland is firm on prospect + 1st valuation on Pulju.
Yeah McLeod was right in the middle which is why I didn’t list him in my post. I think Marody would make the most sense, both him and Andersson are waiver exempt next year still so it would allow both teams to hit the reset button on these prospects and integrate them into their systems slowly in the AHL.

Reactions: belair

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not One! Hahaha I’m just saying that it seems like they sorted out that rushing prospects thing

The last two season yes

but here is my question--I see a few people say we did not rush Leon--it must have been in a different time line where we had him on the roster for 37 games before sending him back down to JR and I could have sworn we kept Yamamoto up in his draft year as well before returning him to JR

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The last two season yes

but here is my question--I see a few people say we did not rush Leon--it must have been in a different time line where we had him on the roster for 37 games before sending him back down to JR and I could have sworn we kept Yamamoto up in his draft year as well before returning him to JR
He wasn't sent down because no one trusts PA to develop players.

If he was on Kelowna from the start of the year he would of been sent down.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think Andersson's contract status closes the gap quite a bit.

He's under contract, has one more year on his ELC and, even though he doesn't really want to play there, he can be sent down to the AHL for two more years before hitting waivers.

Whoever gets Jesse is going to have to get him signed and basically guarantee him an NHL spot(and likely a top6 one at that if he and his agent haven't changed their tune).
It really doesn't close the gap if Andersson is a Lander comparable

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
With Puljujarvi saying "never say never" I cant help but think of the speed and size of a AA-McDavid-JP line. I doubt he plays another game here but couldnt help but drool.

Reactions: Yeah15

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Even if Puljujarvi is a Paajarvi comparable? ;)
Yup, even is Puljujarvi is Paajarvi comparable.
Lander with 2 extra yrs of waivers exemption does not make his value the same as Paajarvi who had to clear waivers.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
With Puljujarvi saying "never say never" I cant help but think of the speed and size of a AA-McDavid-JP line. I doubt he plays another game here but couldnt help but drool.

I'm not sure I have the same reaction to that potential line lol, but considering there's probably going to be a flat cap?

There's more incentive than ever to see if his position has softened about playing in Edmonton.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It ended when MacT and the OBC left. Even Chiarelli did decent in drafts, aside form Barzal.
The oilers still never really rushed their prospects, that was a myth.

All teams play first overalls in the NHL right out of the draft, this isn't a thing exclusive to the oilers organization.

Just like it's a myth that holland over ripens prospects in the AHL until their are past being ready.

Detroit had players playing in the AHL for extended periods of time cause they were constantly picking near the end of the first round.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The oilers still never really rushed their prospects, that was a myth.

All teams play first overalls in the NHL right out of the draft, this isn't a thing exclusive to the oilers organization.

Just like it's a myth that holland over ripens prospects in the AHL until their are past being ready.

Detroit had players playing in the AHL for extended periods of time cause they were constantly picking near the end of the first round.

Last year 5 of 31 played only top 3 stuck
2018 6 of 31 with top 4 sticking

Outside of the first overall and sometimes 2nd and 3rd overall do first rounders stay

Most go back to jr for one year, spend most of +1 in the AHL while in year 3 starting full time in the nhl

Reactions: dawunderboy

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Honestly... McD plays good with players who are not fast but skilled. You don't need super speed to play with McD. Kassian is a good example

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Honestly... McD plays good with players who are not fast but skilled. You don't need super speed to play with McD. Kassian is a good example
Puuljujarvi has moderate speed, moderate skill, and no drive. Not a good recipe for success.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It ended when MacT and the OBC left. Even Chiarelli did decent in drafts, aside form Barzal.
Chiarelli's handling of Puljujarvi and Yamamoto was incredibly poor. He also wanted to keep Bouchard up but got shut down by McLellan.

Last summer was the first time in forever the Oilers brought in multiple bottom six players who contributed to the team, allowing their prospects to develop outside of the NHL.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Last year 5 of 31 played only top 3 stuck
2018 6 of 31 with top 4 sticking

Outside of the first overall and sometimes 2nd and 3rd overall do first rounders stay

Most go back to jr for one year, spend most of +1 in the AHL while in year 3 starting full time in the nhl
The only Oiler picks who played more than 10 games in their first year post draft were Puljujarvi, Draisaitl, McDavid, Hall, Yakupov, Nuge, Gagner, Fuhr, Coffey, Lowe, Kurri, Messier and Anderson. Actually not all that bad a success rate. 5 HOF members and as many as 3 more are possible.

Sending Yak back to juniors would not have changed anything. He even played half that year in the KHL before joining the Oilers by the way.

Draisailt likely benefitted from his time in the NHL in his first year, but even if he did not he seems like he might actually be an NHL player long term so the damage was not so bad.

Gagner has probably had the career he would have had even if he had been slow played. For all the flack he has taken over the years the guy has had a respectable career given the limitations in his physical attributes and in his game that he was probably never going to over come.

Despite the horrendous mistakes management has made over the last decade plus they have not really been as bad with prospects as is often suggested. Now at the pro scouting level...that is a completely different story.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
If people knew Barzal would develop into the player he did do you not think Edmonton’s phone would have been ringing off the hook that draft? Hindsight is 20/20, and while the trade was viewed as poor when it happened, you don’t know for sure the Oilers would have taken Barzal.

Chia came in and cleaned out our scouting staff the week before the draft pretty much in 2015, that draft has yielded Jones, Bear, Marino, from the 4,5, and 6 rounds. That’s a heck of a draft. He drafted Kailer Yamamoto, and to start this year people were just about ready to call bust on him.

People think prospect development is linear, it’s not, people also think if a player doesn’t make it it’s managements fault, it’s not all the time.

Chia will end up having a decent draft record here I think, he was good at small trades, Maroon, Kassian, Talbot, and others. He just crushed under the pressure of the market, tried to fast track our team to fill holes that existed with bad trades, and made panic moves with the thought of just winning the next game to get the fans off his back.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Puuljujarvi has moderate speed, moderate skill, and no drive. Not a good recipe for success.
Sure, moderate speed yet he is able to keep up with McDavid.
Moderate skill yet he could score 28pts in 38 AHL games as a 18 yo rookie.
Moderate skill but he could score 17pts in 7games for Fin U20 as a 17yo.
No drive but he could still end up a top 5 scorer in entire Liiga in 19/20.

But whatever helps fill our narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad