Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Agree on Borgstrom. If you're keying in on a guy who's trending towards a 3C, I actually prefer Lias Andersson over him. At this point I wouldn't trade JP for either though.

What about that JP for Casey Mittelstadt proposal on the mains?

Do you think that’s a player the Oilers could find a spot for, either has a 3C or on the wing in the top 6?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Do you think that’s a player the Oilers could find a spot for, either has a 3C or on the wing in the top 6?
I commented there. I'd probably do it just because I think you could fix Mittlestadt's development path. But I'm not sure he's a guy who fits into a role here long term.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I commented there. I'd probably do it just because I think you could fix Mittlestadt's development path. But I'm not sure he's a guy who fits into a role here long term.
That exact thing could be said of Puljujarvi. If he plays well, of course there's a spot for him. With Mittlestadt, he's a LW/C, so he could either play next to McDavid or challenge for 3C

I still say make a pitch to JP to stay, but if he really pushes back on the idea make a trade like that.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

I think that would be a terrific trade for both teams. His skillset could very well mesh with McDavid or be useful in a depth role. In a perfect world i'd probably prefer Puljujarvi but this is a reasonable trade. Guys like Borgstrom and Gauthier don't move the needle enough for me. Andersson is interesting but his performance in the AHL has been so dismal since being drafted I don't see how he's worth moving Puljujarvi for.

Reactions: Smartguy

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Agree on Borgstrom. If you're keying in on a guy who's trending towards a 3C, I actually prefer Lias Andersson over him. At this point I wouldn't trade JP for either though.

Lolll Lias Andersson. Have him score more than 10 points in a season NHL or AHL then we can talk

Reactions: oilynutz

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Other guys I like potentially for that 3C spot are Jost from Colorado and Kyrou from Stl.

Kyrou in particular is interesting to me, he’s got speed and skill, decent two way abilities and he’s right handed which it would be nice to have at least one right shot center in the lineup. Like Fabbri before him he hasn’t found a spot in St. Louis and looking at their roster he might not next year. Wonder if he could be had

Reactions: KYams17

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
That exact thing could be said of Puljujarvi. If he plays well, of course there's a spot for him. With Mittlestadt, he's a LW/C, so he could either play next to McDavid or challenge for 3C

I still say make a pitch to JP to stay, but if he really pushes back on the idea make a trade like that.
You say that as if they haven’t already tried that... multiple times.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lolll Lias Andersson. Have him score more than 10 points in a season NHL or AHL then we can talk
He's done that twice in the AHL on a poor Hartford team. That being said, you don't seem to have much of an opinion of him beyond his EP page.

Andersson is a complete 200-foot player. I'm not convinced that Borgstrom is.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He's done that twice in the AHL on a poor Hartford team. That being said, you don't seem to have much of an opinion of him beyond his EP page.

200 foot player? He sucks ass in the offensive zone.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I like Andersson more than a lot of people on this board so I’m with you here. Going back to his draft I felt like he’d end up being a guy similar to Mikael Backlund, and as much as I hate the Flames I’d love to have a 21 year old Backlund lining up as the 3C behind McDavid and Drai. One of the big things for me with Andersson is that he’s still got a year of waiver exempt status so there’s more room to properly develop him. A lot of it would depend on his headspace and willingness to spend at least 3-4 months down in Bakersfield, but if he was willing to do that it’s definitely something I’d explore.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
200 foot player? He sucks ass in the offensive zone.
Close to a PPG this year once he got back to Sweden. His AHL production, though limited, is similar to Yamamoto's brief time in the league last year. Considering he was rushed by the Rangers early on and played behind vets in a bottom-feeder AHL team, I'd probably look beyond those boxcars.

Like @BarDownBobo just mentioned, he's a guy who can be eased into that role. And if he was available, I'd be all over that. He's essentially another Ryan McLeod, with much better pedigree.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Close to a PPG this year once he got back to Sweden. His AHL production, though limited, is similar to Yamamoto's brief time in the league last year. Considering he was rushed by the Rangers early on and played behind vets in a bottom-feeder AHL team, I'd probably look beyond those boxcars.

Like @BarDownBobo just mentioned, he's a guy who can be eased into that role. And if he was available, I'd be all over that. He's essentially another Ryan McLeod, with much better pedigree.
A Ryan McLeod if Ryan McLeod didn’t know how to skate.

Reactions: KYams17 and McRpro

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

As others have said, don’t want to go anywhere near Lias, would rather let Pulju play in Europe for how many more years. He has legit concerns about his foot speed and if he can ever be an NHL player regardless of his skill set because of that. If people can recall that draft he was reach in the top 10, he was projected anywhere from 15-25 that year. Pulju has out produced him at the AHL level, and somehow even at the NHL level. There’s a reason it’s been reported multiple times that NYR want that deal and Holland wants nothing to do with it.

Mittelstadt would be a terrific trade, he’s shown decent at the NHL level just hasn’t stuck yet, he’s still young at 21, I really think he breaks out next year, some guys just take a little longer.

Unfortunately Calgary is our rival, and Treveling took heat for the Neal trade, because a Pulju for Bennett swap would be something I’d want. Bennett doesn’t have the skill of Pulju, but he could be a great role player on our third line. People can recall the its been reported by Friedman that a three way deal almost went down that draft between EDM, CAL, CBJ because Calgary really like Pulju.

EDIT: This quote on the almost rumored trade for proof
“We were about 75% of the way to a deal,” said Chiarelli when asked about the fourth overall pick. Chiarelli also said he only had one real possibility to deal that pick, and given the intensity and quantity of huddles between the three GMs right up until the picks were made, that was the deal. Even outsiders agreed.

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
As others have said, don’t want to go anywhere near Lias, would rather let Pulju play in Europe for how many more years. He has legit concerns about his foot speed and if he can ever be an NHL player regardless of his skill set because of that. If people can recall that draft he was reach in the top 10, he was projected anywhere from 15-25 that year. Pulju has out produced him at the AHL level, and somehow even at the NHL level. There’s a reason it’s been reported multiple times that NYR want that deal and Holland wants nothing to do with it.

Mittelstadt would be a terrific trade, he’s shown decent at the NHL level just hasn’t stuck yet, he’s still young at 21, I really think he breaks out next year, some guys just take a little longer.

Unfortunately Calgary is our rival, and Treveling took heat for the Neal trade, because a Pulju for Bennett swap would be something I’d want. Bennett doesn’t have the skill of Pulju, but he could be a great role player on our third line. People can recall the its been reported by Friedman that a three way deal almost went down that draft between EDM, CAL, CBJ because Calgary really like Pulju.

EDIT: This quote on the almost rumored trade for proof
“We were about 75% of the way to a deal,” said Chiarelli when asked about the fourth overall pick. Chiarelli also said he only had one real possibility to deal that pick, and given the intensity and quantity of huddles between the three GMs right up until the picks were made, that was the deal. Even outsiders agreed.
I am a huge Sam Bennett fan. Would be really hard to get him out of Calgary even though he's fallen out of favour, but damn...I love his game so much. Bit of a down year slightly this year, but man...he would be a 30+ points player with us. He would be a huge upgrade in our bottom 6 and could even slide in on other lines. He has to skill to fit in a pinch in the top 6. Throws huge hits, fights, goes hard as hell to the net. Sign me up.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
JP’s second season and only full season of his pro career, he put up 12 goals in 64 games. That pro rates to a 15 goal season. He did that with bad hips while playing on the third and fourth lines and almost no PP time. I think we need to have a little patience with this kid.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
JP’s second season and only full season of his pro career, he put up 12 goals in 64 games. That pro rates to a 15 goal season. He did that with bad hips while playing on the third and fourth lines and almost no PP time. I think we need to have a little patience with this kid.
That's fine and all, and the new Oilers management is probably willing to have some patience.

But by all accounts, it doesn't appear the feeling is mutual.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
That's fine and all, and the new Oilers management is probably willing to have some patience.

But by all accounts, it doesn't appear the feeling is mutual.
That’s kind of the point, Holland has maintained all along they will gladly take Jesse back under the new management now but he wants a fresh start, I don’t really blame him, if he does struggle in this market when returning they will jump on him again. With that said Edmonton doesn’t have to cater to what he wants, that’s the bad part about being an RFA. They don’t need to trade him for cents on the dollar just because he doesn’t want to play here. He had a great year for his development in the Liiga, at the very least it will help his confidence, he’s coming off new hips essentially. Wouldn’t shock me at all to see him come back and have a 15G, 40 point season playing in an NHL top 9. I don’t think he’s the superstar some hoped when he was drafted, but I think he will he able to have a very good NHL career.

Unfortunately for him he either spends possibly another season in Europe until EDM gets an offer they like, or he comes back and plays here, which he’s maintained he doesn’t want to

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I am a huge Sam Bennett fan. Would be really hard to get him out of Calgary even though he's fallen out of favour, but damn...I love his game so much. Bit of a down year slightly this year, but man...he would be a 30+ points player with us. He would be a huge upgrade in our bottom 6 and could even slide in on other lines. He has to skill to fit in a pinch in the top 6. Throws huge hits, fights, goes hard as hell to the net. Sign me up.
This has been Calgary's outlook for the guy since they drafted him. There's a reason why he constantly gets passed on the depth chart there.

He gets paid too much to do what Josh Archibald does for a fraction of the cost.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
This has been Calgary's outlook for the guy since they drafted him. There's a reason why he constantly gets passed on the depth chart there.

He gets paid too much to do what Josh Archibald does for a fraction of the cost.
Don't think him or Archibald are similar players. I enjoy having Archibald in our bottom 6, but Sam Bennett is way bigger, stronger, physical. He hits huge, and fights. Puts up similar point totals. Archibald outpaced him this year due to getting a bump up out of necessity.

Both players are good in the bottom 6. I prefer Bennett. Wouldn't move Pulju for him though at this point.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Don't think him or Archibald are similar players. I enjoy having Archibald in our bottom 6, but Sam Bennett is way bigger, stronger, physical. He hits huge, and fights. Puts up similar point totals. Archibald outpaced him this year due to getting a bump up out of necessity.

Both players are good in the bottom 6. I prefer Bennett. Wouldn't move Pulju for him though at this point.
IMO Archibald is the better fit in the bottom six. He PKs, hits, he's relentless in his puck pursuit and his game adjusts to the cycle when he's forced to play a fourth line role.

Bennett's game has had to adjust since he entered this league. His offensive game never fully developed. He was overwhelmed with the responsibilities at center, so he needed to refine his game as a winger.

I look at Bennett and saw what I saw when he was in junior. A tweener. When the two factors that separate Bennett from a guy like Josh Archibald are 'big' and 'strong', you're talking about a guy with a very limited skill set.

Even as a UFA, I think he's too expensive for what he brings to the table today. Even if he and Connor are buds.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
IMO Archibald is the better fit in the bottom six. He PKs, hits, he's relentless in his puck pursuit and his game adjusts to the cycle when he's forced to play a fourth line role.

Bennett's game has had to adjust since he entered this league. His offensive game never fully developed. He was overwhelmed with the responsibilities at center, so he needed to refine his game as a winger.

I look at Bennett and saw what I saw when he was in junior. A tweener. When the two factors that separate Bennett from a guy like Josh Archibald are 'big' and 'strong', you're talking about a guy with a very limited skill set.

Even as a UFA, I think he's too expensive for what he brings to the table today. Even if he and Connor are buds.
Plus his moustache is embarrassing.

Keep that away from the oilers.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

I have seen Andersson play. Great at the WJC but point production is still mandatory to make any kind of case to make the NHL.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

And what kind of complete 200 foot player is he if he can't score any goals or assists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad