Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Chiarelli probably would have done better than Chayka. Same crappy trades but at least he can draft.
Imagine he kept the picks instead of Reinhart.
We could have walked out of 2015 draft with :
McDavid
(Barzal/Samsonov/Chabot)
(Aho/Carlo)
Talbot
Jones
Bear
Marino

Chia would have become a drafting legend. Best draft in Oilers history if not league.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
McDavid
(Barzal/Samsonov/Chabot)
(Aho/Carlo)
Talbot
Jones
Bear
Marino

Chia would have become a drafting legend. Best draft in Oilers history if not league.
Even just as is it was a very good draft. Compare this to the 1990 draft where the team had 11 picks (12 round draft) and not one of them played a single game in the NHL. From 1984-1990 the Oilers had 7 first round picks and the only one of them that played more than 20 NHL games was the legendary Francois Leroux, and he only played 11 games with the Oilers.

Edmonton Oilers Draft History at hockeydb.com

Reactions: nabob

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Black aces don't generally see playing time. Assuming an active roster?

Ennis - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Athanasiou - Haas - Chiasson
Khaira - Sheahan - Archibald
Neal

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Russell - Benning
Jones - Green

Smith
Koskinen

Pick seven more.

Nygard, Granlund, Benson, Bouchard, Lagesson, a goalie...

I'll probably get reported for saying something here but I believe Granlund is done now. Many people are writing AA off. I want him on this team. I like what you have done with your lines. Only change I do is change out Khaira for Nygard. Sounds like Sheahan wants too much so he could be done as an Oiler. Could be Benson's time. I'm a big Archibald fan. He was put anywhere in the line-up this year and did well. He is a spark plug.

I actually think you will see JP and Russell traded at the draft. Montreal?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Chia should be the GM in Anaheim. He and Eakins could run that franchise into the ground for a decade.

As you might guess, the Ducks are not my favourite team.

I hate them worse then you. Their fan base (all 500 of them) is pathetic. I remember the playoffs in 2017. Oiler fans had them outnumbered 3-1 in their own arena.
I bet I hate Eakins and Chia worse as well.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
McDavid
(Barzal/Samsonov/Chabot)
(Aho/Carlo)
Talbot
Jones
Bear
Marino

That trade kills me. Another couple of picks that would look good from that draft :
Connor, Boeser, Konecny.
He could have thrown a dart ffs and pick that player. Anything but Reinhart. That guy couldn't make Bridgeport ffs.
Read on weekend that Oilers actually had a Tkachuk jersey made up at draft. CBJ passes on Puju and Chia blew a load in his pants and put the jersey in the box and ran to the stage and grabbed PUJU

Reactions: Oilhawks

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'll probably get reported for saying something here but I believe Granlund is done now. Many people are writing AA off. I want him on this team. I like what you have done with your lines. Only change I do is change out Khaira for Nygard. Sounds like Sheahan wants too much so he could be done as an Oiler. Could be Benson's time. I'm a big Archibald fan. He was put anywhere in the line-up this year and did well. He is a spark plug.

I actually think you will see JP and Russell traded at the draft. Montreal?

Reports of Holland feeling the cap pinch hopefully are true. Without doubt some of Holland's biggest faults is overpaying mediocre talent and keeping vets past their prime.

This may force Holland to trade away Russell to open cap space. A very obvious move that from what little I know the Oilers are not interested in doing. It should have been done last year imo.

It's risky but moving out Russell and/or Larsson, both on expiring contracts, for good value is the smart thing to do cap wise. Larsson obviously not until after the season.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
McDavid
(Barzal/Samsonov/Chabot)
(Aho/Carlo)
Talbot
Jones
Bear
Marino

79-80 and 81 drafts were pretty good but it would have been in the convo.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
That trade kills me. Another couple of picks that would look good from that draft :
Connor, Boeser, Konecny.
He could have thrown a dart ffs and pick that player. Anything but Reinhart. That guy couldn't make Bridgeport ffs.
Read on weekend that Oilers actually had a Tkachuk jersey made up at draft. CBJ passes on Puju and Chia blew a load in his pants and put the jersey in the box and ran to the stage and grabbed PUJU

Undoing the Reinhart trade and taking one of the picks that turned out in that range plus Turtle over PJ and the Oilers would be cup contenders this year. Not sure how they would have worked the cap though.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Undoing the Reinhart trade and taking one of the picks that turned out in that range plus Turtle over PJ and the Oilers would be cup contenders this year. Not sure how they would have worked the cap though.

In the end it likely would've been a non-story since the players the Oilers were rumoured to like at those spots didn't end up turning out anyway. So instead of blasting Chiarelli for an awful trade, we'd be blasting him for royally f***ing up a great draft, just like the 03 draft.

It doesn't excuse the trade, but realistically I don't think it puts the Oilers in a different spot today, and he still gets fired.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I hate them worse then you. Their fan base (all 500 of them) is pathetic. I remember the playoffs in 2017. Oiler fans had them outnumbered 3-1 in their own arena.
I bet I hate Eakins and Chia worse as well.
500 of them? I thought they just all wore matching costumes that looked like arena seats.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Reports of Holland feeling the cap pinch hopefully are true. Without doubt some of Holland's biggest faults is overpaying mediocre talent and keeping vets past their prime.

This may force Holland to trade away Russell to open cap space. A very obvious move that from what little I know the Oilers are not interested in doing. It should have been done last year imo.

It's risky but moving out Russell and/or Larsson, both on expiring contracts, for good value is the smart thing to do cap wise. Larsson obviously not until after the season.
You have to take Matty's assessment of the cap with a grain of salt. On the surface the Oilers seem tight but they have a few fairly simple ways to clear space if they really need it. In that respect they are in much better shape than probably 20-25 other teams that could be looking to add assets.

The key is to pursue the right opportunities. It would be a mistake to waste significant cap space on marginal long term improvement.

Reactions: Aerchon

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I think with the emergence of Jones they are very willing to shed Russell’s cap. The problem I see now is a flat cap and Russel has a NTC where he has to submit 15 teams he would accept a trade to.

I was hoping they could shed his salary outright but now I’d be happy with either a scenario where they retain 1-2M and get a decent pick or prospect back or where they deal him for a 3C with a comparable overpaid contract for 1-2 years.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In the end it likely would've been a non-story since the players the Oilers were rumoured to like at those spots didn't end up turning out anyway. So instead of blasting Chiarelli for an awful trade, we'd be blasting him for royally f***ing up a great draft, just like the 03 draft.

It doesn't excuse the trade, but realistically I don't think it puts the Oilers in a different spot today, and he still gets fired.
I will confess that while I was stunned by the trade at the time I tried to rationalize it given how functionally decimated the defense was. Schultz, Kelbom, and rookie Nurse were pretty much it. NO way you win with that group. But I do wonder if they knew that they were going to sign Sekera would they have still been as desperate.

Bottom line is Reinhart should have been a better player than he turned out. But he was not and that deal still hurts a ton.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think with the emergence of Jones they are very willing to shed Russell’s cap. The problem I see now is a flat cap and Russel has a NTC where he has to submit 15 teams he would accept a trade to.

I was hoping they could shed his salary outright but now I’d be happy with either a scenario where they retain 1-2M and get a decent pick or prospect back or where they deal him for a 3C with a comparable overpaid contract for 1-2 years.
The cap is one thing but a fair number of teams are going to be very conscious of money actually spent if they do play next year. The Oilers could move Russell after they pay his bonus and at $1.5M in real dollars he is a very serviceable defender.

The limited NTC is a bit of a problem. But Russell is young enough at 33 that he'd probably rather go to a team where he will play than sit in the pb all year. LA has a fair bit of cap space and despite having rich owners they may not want to throw money away next year. They are also looking for a LHD. TMac loved Russell. Send him there for the Leafs' 3rd in 2021 or the Flames 4th.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I will confess that while I was stunned by the trade at the time I tried to rationalize it given how functionally decimated the defense was. Schultz, Kelbom, and rookie Nurse were pretty much it. NO way you win with that group. But I do wonder if they knew that they were going to sign Sekera would they have still been as desperate.

Bottom line is Reinhart should have been a better player than he turned out. But he was not and that deal still hurts a ton.

I think at the start Chia had good concepts of what trades he should have made for this team, but absolutely no common sense when it came to value.

Then he just actively tried to sabotage the team.

#teamconspiracytheory with @Cloned

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad