Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The cap is one thing but a fair number of teams are going to be very conscious of money actually spent if they do play next year. The Oilers could move Russell after they pay his bonus and at $1.5M in real dollars he is a very serviceable defender.

The limited NTC is a bit of a problem. But Russell is young enough at 33 that he'd probably rather go to a team where he will play than sit in the pb all year. LA has a fair bit of cap space and despite having rich owners they may not want to throw money away next year. They are also looking for a LHD. TMac loved Russell. Send him there for the Leafs' 3rd in 2021 or the Flames 4th.

Yeah I agree that there are options and the 1.5M in actual cash is extremely helpful especially with cratered revenues from this year. But it really comes down to Russell if he doesn’t want to leave then his agent could sit down and put all the teams that could conceivably line up on his ntc and really screw Holland.

I think Kings would be ideal for Russell, low pressure situation with a familiar coach to finish off your deal and likely the last of his career as he doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who’s gonna play anywhere that’ll have him on a cheap 1 year deal. Plus a year in California doesn’t sound terrible even though I don’t peg Kris as the Hollywood type lol.

Either way of Holland can unload Russels full cap hit and get a 3rd/4th back, I’ll be dancing.

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
Just spitballing but I’d like to see Puljijarvi,Russell and Benning dealt to Ottawa for their 3rd first round pick,Tierney and a mid second round pick.Russell will carry a 4 million cap hit but only require 1.5 million in actual pay so helps getting to the cap floor.Benning is too expensive for a third pairing dman on this team and along with Russell could stabilize the young Senator team.Ottawa has 12 picks this draft and having that many picks can actually do harm down the road with contracts not staggered.Anyway,just a thought.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Just spitballing but I’d like to see Puljijarvi,Russell and Benning dealt to Ottawa for their 3rd first round pick,Tierney and a mid second round pick.Russell will carry a 4 million cap hit but only require 1.5 million in actual pay so helps getting to the cap floor.Benning is too expensive for a third pairing dman on this team and along with Russell could stabilize the young Senator team.Ottawa has 12 picks this draft and having that many picks can actually do harm down the road with contracts not staggered.Anyway,just a thought.
Puljujarvi, Russell, and Benning doesn't get you anywhere near a 1st, 2nd, and Tierney.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I would want gruden on the side!

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Is Russell's home currently close to Winnipeg? I did not know that.

Close to home as in close to the prairies.

Which basically means Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Minnesota (but then you have some cross border issues)

If he has to submit 15 teams I'd be willing to bet those four are on it, geographically speaking.

Even Vegas wouldnt be that bad, a direct flight to Calgary is ~3 hours

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Which basically means Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Minnesota (but then you have some cross border issues)

If he has to submit 15 teams I'd be willing to bet those four are on it, geographically speaking.

It's an international flight so you have to be there hours early just to get on the plane on time so it's closer to 5 to 5.5

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
San Jose would be a more likely destination than Vegas esp if Vlasic gets traded away.
They can certainly use a player like Russell

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sure, let's move our junk to them for a 1st, 2nd and useful NHLer and call it a day. :laugh: If I am the Ottawa owner and my GM pulls off that trade, it is the last one he makes for my organization.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

Kris Russell was born in Red Deer and grew up in Caroline. Alberta is as close to home as it gets for him.

His wife is from innisfail.

Astoundingly I know this cause I went to high school with them hahaha

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Interesting reads about him.

Henrik Borgström

November 2019 – Down in the AHL, Borgstrom is proving to be a reliable back-checker, shadowing the opposition and creating turnovers. He is strong in the faceoff circle, showing good strength and a fast stick. Borgstrom looks more than comfortable and ready to make the next step as an everyday NHLer. I’ve heard the expression before: “you’d rather overcook your prospects than undercook them.” Well, if Florida keeps him in the AHL for much longer, they’ll burn him. Keith Fries

April 2020 – I’ve said it all season and I’ll say it again: Borgstrom is ready to make the jump to the NHL and handcuffing him to the AHL is only doing his development a disservice. That said, fantasy owners who have Borgstrom on their roster should keep a close eye on him, next season, where he’ll either be traded to an NHL club that will use him effectively or he may be given a regular role in Florida’s bottom-6. Keith Fries

Last edited:
Reactions: KYams17

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
sorry for being ignorant but when is the NHL trade freeze over or are they allowed to make trades now

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
sorry for being ignorant but when is the NHL trade freeze over or are they allowed to make trades now

The only trade freeze is around Christmas.

Teams are free to make trades but there's no point in doing so now because the players won't be eligible for the post season assuming one takes place.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta

Borgstrom for Puljujarvi is something I was thinking earlier in the week that could make sense. Borgstrom was a big-time prospect a few years ago (52 points in 40 games in the NCAA as a 20 year old, 22 points in 24 games in the AHL as a rookie, and he was rumoured to be the main piece in a potential Pacioretty trade before the Vegas deal went down). He's coming off a really disappointing season with only 23 points in 49 games in the AHL and with Puljujarvi's relatively strong season in the SM-liiga, I think Florida would have to add a little.

Owen Tippett, also out of Florida, is another guy I'd be interested in. He had a really strong year in the AHL and can really shoot the puck. Florida doesn't have much reason to move him though, so a deal likely doesn't make sense unless they love Puljujarvi.

Heponiemi is another interesting buy-low prospect out of Florida. He only put up 14 points in 49 games, but was coming off of a really strong 2019 WJC's and a strong year in the SM-liiga as a 19 year old.

There are lots of interesting young players in Florida for sure.

Reactions: oilynutz

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Kris Russell was born in Red Deer and grew up in Caroline. Alberta is as close to home as it gets for him.

Sure, but there are some realities for him.

He's been surpassed by 3 LHD.

He makes too much for Edmonton to keep him.

By the terms of his contract he must submit 15 teams he'd accept a trade to.

If it's not Edmonton, then it's one of the four I suggested, or presumably contenders.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I think in this case, close to home was used in the sense that he would be playing somewhere on the planet earth

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Sure, but there are some realities for him.

He's been surpassed by 3 LHD.

He makes too much for Edmonton to keep him.

By the terms of his contract he must submit 15 teams he'd accept a trade to.

If it's not Edmonton, then it's one of the four I suggested, or presumably contenders.

That's all fair. I just had to rebut on the playing close to home as in Edmonton and previously in Calgary, he's been as close to home as you get.

He's certainly moveable with a 15 team list along with his actual dollars in salary remaining.

Reactions: McTedi

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not huge on Borgstrom - his upside tops out to a 3C and that's if he improves defensively. The huge drop in AHL production at age 22 is a concern.

I wonder if the Oil are holding out hope on Ottawa dealing their late 1st or Montreal tossing over a 2nd for Puljujarvi - I'd rather develop my own guy.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm not huge on Borgstrom - his upside tops out to a 3C and that's if he improves defensively. The huge drop in AHL production at age 22 is a concern.

I wonder if the Oil are holding out hope on Ottawa dealing their late 1st or Montreal tossing over a 2nd for Puljujarvi - I'd rather develop my own guy.
Agree on Borgstrom. If you're keying in on a guy who's trending towards a 3C, I actually prefer Lias Andersson over him. At this point I wouldn't trade JP for either though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad