Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Our D core for 2018 cup was

Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Niskanen
Orpik-Djoos

I dont see why Fehervary cant become a Kempny, why Sandin cant become Orlov/Niskanen and why Alexeeyev cant become Djoos. Its not about whos on left and whos on right, just balance it out right and have a solid team D. We have 3 guys on the left side with team control, so id rather target the right side where you have basically 2 spots to upgrade right away and the 'big dog spot' to fill out soon enough.

I would be hesitating to pay premium assets for Chychrun, who I strongly think will test the free agency next summer.

Montour, depends on the money and term he is going to get. He had one great year with the perfect storm at a strong team, but other than that he is mostly a 40sh point guy and on his 30s of age. If he is getting paid like first pairing d, no thanks.

From the rumour mill, I like Rasmus Andersson. Adam Boqvist and Henri Jokiharju also fits somewhat to the mold what BM has done prior (there was "smoke between Sabres and Caps"). From UFA I wouldnt mind going after Roy or Pesce if the price is right.

For the next 2 seasons I dont think the D is a priority of our problems. If Jensen has a mini-comeback and the 24 year old left side take another developemental step we are fine as long as Carlson can keep up being the go-to guy. What we need firstly is scoring, and Dubois isnt enough to address that. We need atleast another top6 (and replacement for Oshie if he hangs em), and to hope Lapierre/McMcihael/Leonard/Protas/Miro finds a new gear to provide depth scoring.

I would like to see Dube or Frank given a real shot too. Maybe one of them can become internal solution for Oshie, as the most likely way is that Oshie comes back (welcome!!) and will miss about half of the season with injuries anyways.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Mostly fair, but I disagree with the assertion that Fehervary is "projected as fringe second-pair." He's already a very solid second pair defenseman. How could he be projected to be worse than he currently is? It's like they took his projection from his draft day and never looked at him again.
Marty (even w/a couple of glaring mistakes) and Lappy were the only 2 players who over-performed vs Rangers

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Our D core for 2018 cup was

Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Niskanen
Orpik-Djoos

I dont see why Fehervary cant become a Kempny, why Sandin cant become Orlov/Niskanen and why Alexeeyev cant become Djoos. Its not about whos on left and whos on right, just balance it out right and have a solid team D. We have 3 guys on the left side with team control, so id rather target the right side where you have basically 2 spots to upgrade right away and the 'big dog spot' to fill out soon enough.
Thinking Sandin can become Orlov/Niskanen seems hopelessly optimistic to me, he's not nearly the same caliber of defender as either of them and with his skating he probably never will be. This year he got the easiest deployments of the Caps 6 primary defensemen and still managed to have the worst xGA/60. I don't have a problem with Fehervary, I think he's the only version of the Caps current top 4 that compares favorably to their 2018 equivalent, but Sandin I see as a guy who can be 2nd pairing on an ok team but who's 3rd pairing on a legit contender. Similarly, Alexeyev's an adequate 6D, but for a team that wants to contend, giving him playing time shouldn't be a priority. This is a pretty slow blueline already and adding Alexeyev just makes it even slower. It doesn't necessarily need to be Chychrun, but add a LHD to push Sandin down to the 3rd pairing and Alexeyev to the press box or Hershey seems really important to me, along with shipping our Jensen or TVR and bringing in an upgrade.
I would be hesitating to pay premium assets for Chychrun, who I strongly think will test the free agency next summer.
I would assume any team trading for him is getting to talk to him about an extension before making their offer.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Trade for Ehlers (CMM + 2nd next year?)
Sign Guentzel (7×9)

Ovie-Strome-Ehlers
Guentzel-PLD-Wilson
Milano-Lappy-Protas
Maly-Dowd-FA or Hershey grad

Fever-Carlson
Sandin-Jensen
Alexyev-TVR

Lindgren
Shep/Clay

Think that roster has about 2mil to play with still.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Trade for Ehlers (CMM + 2nd next year?)
Sign Guentzel (7×9)

Ovie-Strome-Ehlers
Guentzel-PLD-Wilson
Milano-Lappy-Protas
Maly-Dowd-FA or Hershey grad

Fever-Carlson
Sandin-Jensen
Alexyev-TVR

Lindgren
Shep/Clay

Think that roster has about 2mil to play with still.
Hopefully you can find two top 4 defenders for a combined 2m then cause that blue line and goalie tandem ain't taking us nowhere except back to the 17th draft pick next year.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Really curious about the Dubois conference call today at 4pm. All we have is a statement from GMBM with the official statement of the trade, right?

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Hopefully you can find two top 4 defenders for a combined 2m then cause that blue line and goalie tandem ain't taking us nowhere except back to the 17th draft pick next year.
It's a starting point. You then have various pieces to make additional moves if you feel the D needs help. Rumor is that Ottawa needs a right shot Dman and they're looking to move Chychrun. Jensen+ for Chychrun would still leave them with just under 2 million to play with for a 4RW.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don’t want to pick up Chychrun. He is a left Dee. We have good young players on the left. We also need to reshape our defense and that happens on the right. Montour would be great to sign. But we still would need to move TVR and/or Jensen.
Why not both?

Send out TVR and Jensen, for whatever you can get.

Sign Montour. Trade for Chychrun.

Chychrun - Carlson
Fehervary - Montour
Alexeyev - Sandin
KIDS

They can make that work!

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Can’t like this enough…..

…love where your head is at with John Leonard….brilliant ploy….big bro in NHL camp with little bro……the things dreams can be made of…

Signature offseason….I like that and totally agree that they need at least 2 impact guys (like 44/2 were)…..I just wonder if they think PLD is one of those moves, or if we’ll see a few more bigger moves…I hope the latter. We need some guys who can shoulder a heavy burden.

Was wondering about John Leonard, too. Played 44 games with the Sharks in his rookie year but Jas been pretty much an AHL player through three organizations since. At 25 is there room to be an effective lower lime player or is the AHL the peak of his career trajectory?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Would you guys entertain

Trouba @ 6M x2yrs (2M retention)
Kakko
NYR 1st 2024

For

Jensen
Dowd
I mean, of course?

Trouba would be fine as a 2RD (and would certainly carry nice value at the TDL next season) and Kakko fits the profile they've been targeting lately of high-drafted underachievers - I like the Caps' chances of building up his value. Adding in another first is gravy.

Why would the Rags do this, though? It doesn't save them much cap space.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
I mean, of course?

Trouba would be fine as a 2RD (and would certainly carry nice value at the TDL next season) and Kakko fits the profile they've been targeting lately of high-drafted underachievers - I like the Caps' chances of building up his value. Adding in another first is gravy.

Why would the Rags do this, though? It doesn't save them much cap space.
It saves them 3M which can help them land P.Kane

They have Fox and Schneider as RD’s and Lavy is familiar with both players. Kakko won’t play higher than on the third line for them and could be replaced by someone cheaper or at the same price. NYR is going for it now and can’t wait for picks and prospects to turn out.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What are the QOs? Anyone know?
  • Players who earned less than $660,000 in the previous NHL season must be offered at least 110 percent of last season's salary in a qualifying offer.
  • Players who earned up to $1 million must be offered 105 percent.
  • Players who earned over $1 million must be offered 100 percent.
Mcmicheal was at $863,333. and Malenstyn was $736,666.

Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad