Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
I’m not down CMM. He has good value, I just think we have more pressing needs. PLD as now maybe made this player available.
McGroarty can also play center and that could be his eventual position. He's a big strong kid who out scored Leonard and equaled Smith at the last WJC. He's got some of Oshie's intangibles in him, so I would definitely be interested.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
McGroaty does intrigue me. Jets fans on the main boards are throwing out their needs to be a 2C or a RD. But looking at Winnipeg, in this coming draft they only have one pick in the first three rounds and that's a second that they got from Montreal. One would think that they might want to increase their draft picks in the coming draft. I'd offer our '24 first round pick as well as the '24 3rd round pick that we got from Boston for the rights to McGroaty and Nate Schmidt. Schmidt will be in the final season of an almost 6 mil contract. This will help the Jets free up some cap space as to oppose to buying out Schmidt. Benefits Capitals as it provides defensive depth for the team this coming season (Carlson, Fever, Jensen, TVR, Sandin, AA) especially if BMAC moves one of the aforementioned dmen in a separate move. Willingness to take on the Schmidt contract could be the motivation for Winnipeg to seriously consider an offer from the Capitals.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I would love to trade for McGroaty, but trading McMichael for him is silly.

family-guy-mystery-box.gif

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I wonder if Ehlers is available too? Maybe:

McMichael + 17th overall pick for Ehlers + McGroaty

Gives us a top line skilled/fast forward and frees up a center spot for Lappy/McGroaty.

Not a serious suggestion, just an EA trade proposal.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
What do you believe he is worth? Probably a top 10 prospect outside the NHL.

I'd consider next year's 1st as I believe we will be better and he in addition to our current youth will all be close in age and likely closer being a real contributor on the big team. Next year's 20th say would be a few years from the mix.

Maybe one of Dowd/Jensen and a 2nd as an alternative offer (and we have a pland to get D help).

Their ask suffers because he wants out and he hasn't played pro yet, IIRC.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
His value is probably tough to judge. Gauthier just returned Drysdale and a 2nd rounder we but Gauthier is the better prospect.
Gauthier was a top five pick and was one of three finalists for the Hobey Baker award. He’s a much better prospect than RM.

If there’s a way to get RM and Ehlers out of Winnipeg without mortgaging too much I’d do cartwheels.

Reactions: Cappy76

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
His value is probably tough to judge. Gauthier just returned Drysdale and a 2nd rounder we but Gauthier is the better prospect.
Drysdale has significant more value than McMichael, in my opinion.

I think McMichael and a first is about right. I understand also if it’s too much for people to want to pay.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If I'm trading McMichael and a first it's for a defenseman, ideally a younger one. Chychrun? Chabot? Along those lines. They need someone that adds another layer of offensive threat. I don't think they're strong enough on all of the underlying table-setting areas to target a more one-dimensional winger. A better skater like Ehlers would make more sense from an actual tool standpoint and not indiscriminately spamming younger players.

Addison could be a fine Hershey signing. They probably need someone along those lines. You'd think there's a good chance Snively moves on and him manning point on PP1 seems sub-optimal either way.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
If I'm trading McMichael and a first it's for a defenseman, ideally a younger one. Chychrun? Chabot? Along those lines. They need someone that adds another layer of offensive threat. I don't think they're strong enough on all of the underlying table-setting areas to target a more one-dimensional winger. A better skater like Ehlers would make more sense from an actual tool standpoint and not indiscriminately spamming younger players.

Addison could be a fine Hershey signing. They probably need someone along those lines. You'd think there's a good chance Snively moves on and him manning point on PP1 seems sub-optimal either way.
He put up a half a point a game on a competent team the year before last, maybe we should sign him for Washington not the Bears, that's better than Sandins ever done. lol

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
If I'm trading McMichael and a first it's for a defenseman, ideally a younger one. Chychrun?

Chychrun went to OTT for a 1st (protected) and two 2nds. So you would move CMM - developing, responsible with flashes of excellence and 18 G last season- for two 2nds?

And Chychrun has to get paid a hefty amount next year (he'll be 27). You could just pay a Montour or other 30 yo UFA D this year and keep all those assets.

Last edited:

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
If we trade any future 1st rounders without tons of lottery protections it would be a very bad move. We should not be in the game of trading our 1st rounders.
I generally agree. I would rather had Cowan over Sundin. But if we can retool this offseason with picks and UFAs, and then next offseason with more UFAs, moving next year's 1st isn't as hard to take. Especially if we know which youth we might eventually move out. We may recoup a 1st then or in 2026 moving whoever is odd man out (but who is still a very good player).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Chychrun went to OTT for a 1st (protected) and two 2nds. So you would move CMM - developing, responsible with flashes of excellence and 18 G last season- for two 2nds?

And Chychrun has to get paid a hefty amount next year (he'll be 27). You could just pay a Montour or other 30 yo UFA D this year and keep all those assets.
Three years younger isn't nothing. Not necessarily Chychrun but someone that helps offset some of Carlson's load and also enables him to attack up ice more regularly. McMichael has shown flashes but if he's the 3C for the foreseeable future you wonder about his development. Also, I do wonder if Protas isn't really the ideal type of 3C they ought to be investing in instead...

As-is they may have okay third-liners compared to most. It's more that their second-liners are woeful.

McGroarty to me is a shorter Anders Lee. Maybe a little more sniping and playmaking but a little less of a load around the net. Again, not sure why that type of player would emerge as a prime target. He's young but...they need a more targeted focus than just whatever younger player happens to become available.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I’d move both TVR and Jensen. We need a true 2RD in the 24-28 range with 200 NHL games. That will cost. But we also need to free up the spots. I think it is multiple deals.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I would attempt to sell Jensen. His $4 mil is a bit too much. TVR seems like the more trusted player anyway even if he isn’t that fast.

Let Bear/Alexeyev play it out or find a very clear RD upgrade. Maybe Matt Roy or Alexandre Carrier?

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Former 1st round picks in the Stanley Cup Final

FLA:
Ekblad 1st OA
Barkov 2nd OA
Reinhart 2nd OA
Bennet 4th OA
Tkachuk 6th OA
Ekman-Larsson 6th OA
Okposo 7th OA
Lundell 12th OA
Kulikov 14th OA
Tarasenko 16th OA
(Knight 13th)

EDM:
McDavid 1st
Nugent-Hopkins 1st
Draisaitl 3rd
Kane 4th
Nurse 7th
Brodin 8th
Bouchard 10th
Holloway 14th
Ceci 15th
Perry 28th
(Campbell 11th)

I keep banging the drum to buy low on Kotkaniemi, Kakko, Laine, maybe Chabot/Chychrun. They’ll eventually put all the pieces together when they’ve matured, dealt with the pressure of being picked high/signed expensive contracts etc.. they’ll be given a fresh start with the Caps and be one of many instead of the one not living up to expectations.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If Oshie hangs them up--and even if he's still on the fence--they're going to need impact character almost as much as impact talent. Maybe that sounds hokey but it's true. They need character that can play, that's very fluid and dogged but The Culture needs players that will drag guys into the fight. It's my biggest concern after the investment in PLD. They can't be so caught up in upgrading skill that it's more of the frustrating or inconsistent variety. If they instead continue to sort of stockpile somewhat promising but inconsistent younger talent still finding their way that can pay off over time. Maybe there are smarter longer-term investments to be made along those lines...but they do need consistency, stability and leadership. Over time stacking promise can provide depth to enable impact trades but they need immediate impact ideally in all facets. Wilson isn't what he was. They don't have that nails Orpik type on the back-end unless maybe they make room for McIlrath in a depth role and work with him (somewhat risky albeit probably better than signing Zadorov to a hefty deal). Jensen probably isn't even on Niskanen's level. They haven't really replaced Orlov fully even. Carlson is a workhorse but needs more quality after him.

MacLellan needs a signature off-season with something closer to his initial Trotz/44/2 splash. They need youth, upside and dynamic talent that can break games wide open. But even after making the playoffs in Year 1 under Carbery and Hershey prevailing once again they've also got to keep leadership front of mind. Finding players that can not only help score next season but overall carry the torch 2-4 years from now is a big key I think. They can't be so desperate for talent that it's short-sighted in some key ways. This is the time to go big. They can go cheaper but winning every transaction isn't the goal. It's finding the right mix and sometimes paying ful price and full value is unavoidable. If that means they need to make more subtractions to make it fit so be it. Their priorities have to be in order.

Lastly I think they need to come up with a plan to get Leonard signed. He'll presumably be at development camp. They don't want to be too pushy about it. They're going to let him decide. But they need to make their case and go full court I think. They need Carbery mostly assessing him and his potential role next season. Perhaps a difficult thing to do with so much still up in the air but it seems like a missed opportunity not to. Miro is tracking well but they need this guy in the mix getting integrated and learning on the job. He's such a key transition piece. Are there moves that would improve their pitch? I don't know. Could they sign his brother for Hershey? Shrug. But he's ready and they need to instill the confidence and belief one way or another that finally gets him to make the jump.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If Oshie hangs them up--and even if he's still on the fence--they're going to need impact character almost as much as impact talent. Maybe that sounds hokey but it's true. They need character that can play, that's very fluid and dogged but The Culture needs players that will drag guys into the fight. It's my biggest concern after the investment in PLD. They can't be so caught up in upgrading skill that it's more of the frustrating or inconsistent variety. If they instead continue to sort of stockpile somewhat promising but inconsistent younger talent still finding their way that can pay off over time. Maybe there are smarter longer-term investments to be made along those lines...but they do need consistency, stability and leadership. Over time just stacking promise can provide depth to enable to impact trades but they need immediate impact ideally in all facets. Wilson isn't what he was. They don't have that nails Orpik type on the back-end unless maybe they make room for McIlrath in a depth role and work with him (somewhat risky albeit probably better than signing Zadorov to a hefty deal). Jensen probably isn't even on Niskanen's level. They haven't really replaced Orlov fully even. Carlson is a workhorse but needs more quality after him.

MacLellan needs a signature off-season with something closer to his initial Trotz/44/2 splash. They need youth, upside and dynamic talent that can break games wide open. But even after making the playoffs in Year 1 under Carbery and Hershey prevailing once again they've also got to keep leadership front of mind. Finding players that can not only help score next season but overall carry the torch 2-4 years from now is a big key I think. They can't be so desperate for talent that it's short-sighted in some key ways. This is the time to go big. They can go cheaper but winning every transaction isn't the goal. It's finding the right mix and sometimes paying ful price and full value is unavoidable. If that means they need to make more subtractions to make it fit so be it. Their priorities have to be in order.

Lastly I think they need to come up with a plan to get Leonard signed. He'll presumably be at development camp. They don't want to be too pushy about it. They're going to let him decide. But they need to make their case and go full court I think. They need Carbery mostly assessing him and his potential role next season. Perhaps a difficult thing to do with so much still up in the air but it seems like a missed opportunity not to. Miro is tracking well but they need this guy in the mix getting integrated and learning on the job. He's such a key transition piece. Are there moves that would improve their pitch? I don't know. Could they sign his brother for Hershey? Shrug. But he's ready and they need to instill the confidence and belief one way or another that finally gets him to make the jump.
Can’t like this enough…..

…love where your head is at with John Leonard….brilliant ploy….big bro in NHL camp with little bro……the things dreams can be made of…

Signature offseason….I like that and totally agree that they need at least 2 impact guys (like 44/2 were)…..I just wonder if they think PLD is one of those moves, or if we’ll see a few more bigger moves…I hope the latter. We need some guys who can shoulder a heavy burden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad