Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Unless there's a clause where it says "pro-rated to 21 goals" Calgary ain't getting their pick

Agree. NHL can’t play “what if” scenarios. If they move the trade requirements to the 2021 season what happens if Neal and / or Lucic gets bought out, a likely scenario with Neal at least if the cap stays flat or even decreases and there are no compliance buyouts allowed. (Reported by Elliott Friedman that owners do not want compliance buyouts).

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Would Talbot come back? Although most of us love his wife, sounds like his wife was not that happy with how his time ended in Edmonton. I follow her on twitter and she has posted some interesting comments

what she does not miss about Edmonton?

I'm still a fan of Talbot and he definitely earned some points for fighting Smith. But nobody misses that dude giving up a goal on the first shot EVERY. BLOODY. NIGHT.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Unless there's a clause where it says "pro-rated to 21 goals" Calgary ain't getting their pick
unfortunately, it is looking like maybe the league is moving towards these types of solutions, and just like how we might benefit from revision in the Mike Green deal, we may have to eat it in the Neal trade. You can't just say no. I assume so anyway, or else why would anyone negotiate conditions if it hurt them?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Here's my solution: (two different ones depending on what the league decides to do in July)

With season finished + playoffs: The pick is moved to the 2021 draft. That gives the chance for the condition to be met.

Only playoffs: Calgary takes our 4th in the 2020 June draft. However, Calgary gets an additional 2021 draft pick if a new condition is met in the playoffs. So, maybe another 4th if Neal outscores Lucic in the playoffs. Or maybe another 4th if Neal outscores Lucic by 10 in the 2020-21 regular season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Here's my solution: (two different ones depending on what the league decides to do in July)

With season finished + playoffs: The pick is moved to the 2021 draft. That gives the chance for the condition to be met.

Only playoffs: Calgary takes our 4th in the 2020 June draft. However, Calgary gets an additional 2021 draft pick if a new condition is met in the playoffs. So, maybe another 4th if Neal outscores Lucic in the playoffs. Or maybe another 4th if Neal outscores Lucic by 10 in the 2020-21 regular season.

...the second part doesn’t make any sense.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
...the second part doesn’t make any sense.
It's assuming that before the draft, we have a set plan for knowing if we are finishing the 2019-20 regular season right before playoffs (in July). And the draft is before, in June.

So, we give Calgary the 4th rounder because the condition was not met, but compensate for the shortened season with another pick in the 2021 draft, but only a new condition was met.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's assuming that before the draft, we have a set plan for knowing if we are finishing the 2019-20 regular season right before playoffs (in July). And the draft is before, in June.

So, we give Calgary the 4th rounder because the condition was not met, but compensate for the shortened season with another pick in the 2021 draft, but only a new condition was met.

Why in McJesus's name would you have the Oilers giving up 2 picks? A 4th rounder is not that much different than a 3rd rounder, that should not equate to another pick for Calgary the following year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Why in McJesus's name would you have the Oilers giving up 2 picks? A 4th rounder is not that much different than a 3rd rounder, that should not equate to another pick for Calgary the following year.
generally 2 picks from a round will get you 1 pick in the round just previous. So two 4ths are roughly right value for a 3rd, and if I'm wrong on the value, fine, make it a 5th. That's not the critically important part of my post anyway. It's about the idea of adding to the 4th we give to make up the difference.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
generally 2 picks from a round will get you 1 pick in the round just previous. So two 4ths are roughly right value for a 3rd, and if I'm wrong on the value, fine, make it a 5th. That's not the critically important part of my post anyway. It's about the idea of adding to the 4th we give to make up the difference.

I'd rather just give them a 3rd than 2 4ths (or even 2 5ths) tbh. I think you're actually more likely to come out with one NHL player with 2 later round picks than one third round pick.

In actuality it should be 0 picks anyways.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Make up what difference? Neal didn’t score 21 goals.

Reactions: TB12

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The Flames are going to bitch and moan until the league caves. That's how it works with them.

How about this as a solution. Oilers keep the third round pick, and the Flames are the first ones in the province to get the Covid vaccine when it's available. Sure, they may have to push aside some old people on ventilators, but whatever.

Reactions: McFuhryous

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
What I would want the NHL to do:

Resume the season in September. Playoffs will end some time in late November.

2020 Draft in late November with 2 month offseason in December and January.

Next season is a shortened season which starts in February 2021 and ends in June 2021 (similar to the lockout shortened season in 2012 I believe)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What I would want the NHL to do:

Resume the season in September. Playoffs will end some time in late November.

2020 Draft in late November with 2 month offseason in December and January.

Next season is a shortened season which starts in February 2021 and ends in June 2021 (similar to the lockout shortened season in 2012 I believe)
NHL contracts end July 1.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I wonder how many guys around the league have bonuses that would be paid out if the players stats were prorated. And if the team they play on are close to the cap if those bonuses would carry over to next season when the league will already have an issue with the cap.

That would be my play, try and make our problem with pro rating stats other teams problem too. You can’t just pro rate one guys stats, you gotta do everyone.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd rather just give them a 3rd than 2 4ths (or even 2 5ths) tbh. I think you're actually more likely to come out with one NHL player with 2 later round picks than one third round pick.

In actuality it should be 0 picks anyways.
I'm not saying what should be done. To it seems like it is going to come, because the league has made unmet conditions due to covid an issue.

So yes, we'd like to say that the conditions were not met and that's that, but it's really not that easy. I'm just wondering what our compromise or restructured deal with Calgary would be like. Because if we don't renegotiate it, the league may rule to pro-rate it and we'll be out a 3rd.

But really I don't think it will be an issue. I think the league will try to finish the season before playoffs start, and that means the simple solution would be possible: just make it a 2021 pick instead of 2020

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm not saying what should be done. To it seems like it is going to come, because the league has made unmet conditions due to covid an issue.

So yes, we'd like to say that the conditions were not met and that's that, but it's really not that easy. I'm just wondering what our compromise or restructured deal with Calgary would be like. Because if we don't renegotiate it, the league may rule to pro-rate it and we'll be out a 3rd.

But really I don't think it will be an issue. I think the league will try to finish the season before playoffs start, and that means the simple solution would be possible: just make it a 2021 pick instead of 2020
Unless there was a clause of what if theres a pandemic or the season gets cut short, I dont think theres anything that can be done about it.

Reactions: frag2

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wonder how many guys around the league have bonuses that would be paid out if the players stats were prorated. And if the team they play on are close to the cap if those bonuses would carry over to next season when the league will already have an issue with the cap.

That would be my play, try and make our problem with pro rating stats other teams problem too. You can’t just pro rate one guys stats, you gotta do everyone.

Only those on 35 year old + contracts get bonuses on stats and games played so my guess isn’t very many.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well then McDavid's first contract must of been a 35+ contract because he had 2.850K in bonuses paid out in each season.

Those are standard ELC contracts from the CBA so yes those count as well. But prorating them doesn’t matter in most cases due to the clauses not being proratable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad