Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Reviewing every NHL trade involving 2020 conditional picks - Sportsnet.ca

interesting look at the draft picks

I suspect the Lucic pick will be debated by 3 teams before it is all over
This one is going to be controversial no matter which way it goes. It would be easy to pro-rate Neal's goals and say that he would have made the threshold. But the last goal he scored was on New Year's Eve. TO me, the threshold has not been made. But there is a slight chance I might be biased.

There are other issues that could be significant for the Oilers including Smith's performance bonus. Right now he is at 39 games. He gets $250K for 40 and another $250K for 45. Given the possibility of a cap crunch if the Oilers are going to have to pay a penalty those dollars might be important. In fact, I have no idea how they will handle bonus overages this year. A team like the Oilers could have easily manufactured more cap space in the last month by simply making roster moves and having players return from injury.

Last edited:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
This one is going to be controversial no matter which way it goes. It would be easy to pro-rate Neal's goals and say that he would have made the threshold. But the last goal he scored was on New Year's Eve. TO me, the threshold has not been made. But there is a slight chance I might be biased.

There are other issues that could be significant for the Oilers including Smith's performance bonus. Right now he is at 39 games. He gets $250K for 40 and another $250K for 45. Given the possibility of a cap crunch if the Oilers are going to have to pay a penalty those dollars might be important. In fact, I have no idea how they will handle bonus overages this year. A team like the Oilers could have easily manufactured more cap space in the last month by simply making roster moves and having players return from injury.

With James Neal, if he meets the criteria for Calgary to get that extra pick after this year's draft, can't they just take it from next year's draft?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
With James Neal, if he meets the criteria for Calgary to get that extra pick after this year's draft, can't they just take it from next year's draft?
If the season finishes they could do that. The issue is more complicated if they just go right to the playoffs. Neal needs 2 more goals to hit 21. If he stays on the 3rd line with less pp time it is reasonably likely he would not hit that in the remaining 11 games the Oilers have to play.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If I was Holland the only compromise I’d be willing to make would be to let the condition ride for a year.

There’s no way I’m even entertaining the thought of pro rating or changing the condition and if the league would even consider it I’d just build a case against pro ration by finding other instances of that would complicate life for the league and hopefully get other parties raising a stink.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm pretty sure that all conditional picks will be moved to 2021. There's no way they can determine any 2020 conditions without knowing the final results of a regular season and playoffs (the pro-rating talk is complete nonsense). I don't know if this is a good thing or not for the Oilers depending on how Neal is deployed next season. This will also make it difficult to make any trades outside of pick swaps which is half the fun of the draft.

This is why holding the draft in early June is garbage, there's no reason to rush it now outside of a potential ratings boon and giving fans something to look forward to during a dead sports time. Hell, even Yzerman said it makes no sense and he stands to benefit the most from it.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Will Neal be playing for the Oilers next year? Brutal since his hot start.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If I was Holland the only compromise I’d be willing to make would be to let the condition ride for a year.

There’s no way I’m even entertaining the thought of pro rating or changing the condition and if the league would even consider it I’d just build a case against pro ration by finding other instances of that would complicate life for the league and hopefully get other parties raising a stink.
Well if we are renegotiation, agree to slide the condition to next year but take away the 750K retention.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

For me prorating would also a huge mistake. But the NHL never fails to amaze me with its decisions with respect to this sort of thing.

Well if we are renegotiation, agree to slide the condition to next year but take away the 750K retention.
If I was the Oilers I'd do this in a heart beat. But I doubt Calgary would even consider it. I don't think a possible 3rd would get you close to three years of retention.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
For me prorating would also a huge mistake. But the NHL never fails to amaze me with its decisions with respect to this sort of thing.

If I was the Oilers I'd do this in a heart beat. But I doubt Calgary would even consider it. I don't think a possible 3rd would get you close to three years of retention.
I would drop the condition if they took back the retention.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
750k cap dollars would CLEARLY be a lot more valuable to Calgary than a late 3rd round pick. So that's not a real idea.

If I were the Oilers, and I were expected to compromise here, I would agree to give them the pick in 2022. Considering the Flames would have a case for simply getting this years 3rd round pick in an arbitration/league mandate scenario, better to just not pick the fight and not take the risk that we don't pick between 21 and 140.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I’d give them a 5th if they cut it to 500k retained. Something along these lines. If anything a lesser pick then the 3rd stated in the conditions that were not met.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Where is this Calgary getting our 3rd coming from ? The condition haven’t been met . Prorating it doesn’t work as it can not account for injuries or use . If the NHL tries to force a team to give up picks base on unmet conditions they need to do it to every team . What about there no playoffs and there playoffs condition do they assume those conditions are met ?

Neal was unhappy in Calgary because he was given 3rd line minutes and he quit on them because of it . Neal will be on Edmonton 3rd line going forward . I can see him quitting on Edmonton and going zero goals over his last 12 games

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Where is this Calgary getting our 3rd coming from ? The condition haven’t been met . Prorating it doesn’t work as it can not account for injuries or use . If the NHL tries to force a team to give up picks base on unmet conditions they need to do it to every team . What about there no playoffs and there playoffs condition do they assume those conditions are met ?

Well I posted a link and since many reporters are bored, they have been spit balling that the Neal is close enough that the flames should get the pick, Eric the Donkey out of Cowtown has made the rounds on nearly every sport radio show in Canada (and a few in the states) making the case. The NHL did not help things when it suggested that the trades that had conditions attached should be renegotiated by the teams and the NHL would only get involved as a last resort. it sounds like a few teams are trying to press for all conditional elements of trades be made official

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I have a silly question for anyone who cares to answer

In bouncing around different sports cast, blogs, vlogs and other sporting entities. There seems to be an idea that the Oilers will keep MIke Grenn for next year and bring back Sam Gagner at just under a million. Does not make sense to me, but what do you think? Or is it just the talking heads tossing kack against the wall to see what sticks?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

In bouncing around different sports cast, blogs, vlogs and other sporting entities. There seems to be an idea that the Oilers will keep MIke Grenn for next year and bring back Sam Gagner at just under a million. Does not make sense to me, but what do you think? Or is it just the talking heads tossing kack against the wall to see what sticks?

I'd be fine with the Oilers bringing back Gagner at $900K or less. I think he brought a great attitude with him and he is still versatile enough to fill in in aa variety of roles if there are injuries. I do think he'd have to be prepared to spend a fair bit of time in Bak.

Green's last deal was for $5.25M per year. Right now he is a #6 RHD at best on this team. What is that worth money wise? Maybe $1.5M on a one year deal if you aren't sure that Bouchard is ready. Does Green sign that deal? Is even that too much for the Oilers given the cap uncertainty?

One question that impacts this is what the team thinks they have in Benning. Is he one of their everyday RHD? At his QO salary of $2M he's too expensive for a PB role. Can they trade him for anything worth while or do they try to resign him at a lower salary?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Well I posted a link and since many reporters are bored, they have been spit balling that the Neal is close enough that the flames should get the pick, Eric the Donkey out of Cowtown has made the rounds on nearly every sport radio show in Canada (and a few in the states) making the case. The NHL did not help things when it suggested that the trades that had conditions attached should be renegotiated by the teams and the NHL would only get involved as a last resort. it sounds like a few teams are trying to press for all conditional elements of trades be made official
In essence this is the "prorated" argument which, while we all might hate it, is very likely to be put forward. Let's hope that it is not successful.

North

Jun 25, 2009

They like the dimension Gagner brings to the room and there is some belief they see a future for him in the org when he retires.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'd be fine with the Oilers bringing back Gagner at $900K or less. I think he brought a great attitude with him and he is still versatile enough to fill in in aa variety of roles if there are injuries. I do think he'd have to be prepared to spend a fair bit of time in Bak.

Green's last deal was for $5.25M per year. Right now he is a #6 RHD at best on this team. What is that worth money wise? Maybe $1.5M on a one year deal if you aren't sure that Bouchard is ready. Does Green sign that deal? Is even that too much for the Oilers given the cap uncertainty?

One question that impacts this is what the team thinks they have in Benning. Is he one of their everyday RHD? At his QO salary of $2M he's too expensive for a PB role. Can they trade him for anything worth while or do they try to resign him at a lower salary?

I think either Benning or Larsson Could be gone. Oilers just have added so many D and they have only so many slots. Even with two of the D men remaining in Sweden (Broberg and Bergland). I think Bouchard starts the 20/21 season on the oilers, where either Klefbom or Nurse takes him under their wing. The wild card is how much is Bear's next contract? Does he take the Jones type of money or does he ask for over 1 mill a year.

There is a lot of talk about freebee buy outs, where a team will get to walk away from a contracts cap hit and we all know who we would want gone and why. But I think too many players are banking on that to free up money. (And then off course we go out a pay Hall $10 mill a year-- :facepalm).

In dealing with what little we do know or suspect heavily. The cap maybe flat and if it is flat we will have 2.5mill less than we thought we had and that may mean we have 10.1 mill to sign/ on players and as we know that money goes quickly. AA say takes the 3mill he is on now, that takes us down to 7.1 just like that.

UFA's on the oilers roster
Riley Sheahan. I liked his play in the last few months, but he went from looking to be resigned to be on the outside looking in due to contract demands. What happened? He changed agents and I think his new agent is going to try to "earn" his commission and that means RS is toast.
Tyler Ennis. Massive wild card. He can slide up and down the line up as needed and is a local boy. Last off season a few posters suggested he wanted to come home and like many I was interested but doubted the source until I checked my emails and found out how close the poster was to Ennis. Ennis was on 800k last season, He got 16 goals and 37pts in 70 games. The question is will he take a 1 year Show me deal?
Patrick Russell. There were rumours of him heading to either Sweden or Denmark for the 20/21 season and I think he heads home or takes a 2 way deal

Oilers have 11 FWDS signed for the 20/21 season already
Line up MAYBE

AA-McDavid-Kassian
Nuge-Leon-Yamamoto
Neal-Archibald-Chaisson
JuJu-Haas
They three questions I kept going back to are; is Benson ready? how much will Ennis want? and adding Benson and Ennis, would the oilers have enough toughness with just Kassian and JuJu in the line up?

on D we have signed
Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse(new contract at 5.6)-Jones
****-Russell

UFa
Green
RFAS
Benning and Bear

When the NHL decided what it will do. Russell could be easily moved. While his cap hit is 4 his actual payday after July 2nd will be 1.5(he has a 2.5mill signing bonus due on July 1st). Is Russel worth 1.5 for what he does? a few teams may have an internal real cap and that 1.5 could fit in nicely.

Then we come to net and if the NHL does start up to finish the season we will get hit by Mike Smith's bonuses, and they would carry over to next year. Smith bonuses could total 1.75mill

Oilers are still in cap hell and praying for a freebee buyout for Neal is maybe all we have going for us (as long as they do not give Hall 10mill a year and then we are back into a deeper cap hell)

I can see light but it will be interesting to see what Holland and the boys do with what little cap we have

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Gagner at 1mil and he wouldn't have been traded. They guy bleeds Oil colours. I haven't heard a guy so disappointed to be dealt the way he was.

He seems to be a vocal leader in the locker room that the guys respect. That and with a young family I suspect he rather live with them in Edmonton.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Gagner at 1mil and he wouldn't have been traded. They guy bleeds Oil colours. I haven't heard a guy so disappointed to be dealt the way he was.

He seems to be a vocal leader in the locker room that the guys respect. That and with a young family I suspect he rather live with them in Edmonton.

This is what confuses me. I thought I read somewhere, that one reason why Vancouver assigned him to the Toronto Marlies in 18/19. I believe it is Chatham is where he lives. I could be wrong

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
In essence this is the "prorated" argument which, while we all might hate it, is very likely to be put forward. Let's hope that it is not successful.

Was there a "prorated" stipulation? If not, they don't get the pick. Plain and simple.

The Flames can fight it all we want but unless there's something written in the language that the Flames get the pick if Neal prorates to 21 goals and Lucic prorates to 10 or less then they don't get the pick or the condition gets moved to 2021 if the regular season isn't completed. You can't just make up something out of thin air to get your way.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Was there a "prorated" stipulation? If not, they don't get the pick. Plain and simple.

The Flames can fight it all we want but unless there's something written in the language that the Flames get the pick if Neal prorates to 21 goals and Lucic prorates to 10 or less then they don't get the pick or the condition gets moved to 2021 if the regular season isn't completed. You can't just make up something out of thin air to get your way.

If the season does not continue, I think we need to prepare ourselves to lose that pick and that will be that. Too many talking heads seem to agree on that and with the NHL being the NHL, I think they will side with the flames

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I’d give them a 5th if they cut it to 500k retained. Something along these lines. If anything a lesser pick then the 3rd stated in the conditions that were not met.

what has been suggested out east a few times, Oiles give the Flames out 3rd but get a compensatory pick either at the end of the 3rd or 4th round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad