Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Have no idea until a reasonable estimation of HRR can be confirmed, which is obviously a huge unknown at this point. Still think PA and the league will go off the grid and go with a number higher than the HRR calculation and have some sweeteners, like compliance buyouts, etc.
The talk is that they will simply set the cap at $81.5M and let escrow handle the rest. This would be independent of this years revenue numbers by mutual agreement between the League and the NHLPA. Going by the formula would mean mass disruptions of players lives because teams would e forced to make all kinds of wild moves to get under the cap.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The talk is that they will simply set the cap at $81.5M and let escrow handle the rest. This would be independent of this years revenue numbers by mutual agreement between the League and the NHLPA. Going by the formula would mean mass disruptions of players lives because teams would e forced to make all kinds of wild moves to get under the cap.

At 81.5, escrow is potentially gonna be ugly, ugly. But that's likely the best option for both sides at this point.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
At 81.5, escrow is potentially gonna be ugly, ugly. But that's likely the best option for both sides at this point.
Revenue is what it will be. Setting the cap at $81.5M would prevent this years free agent crop from getting totally decimated and possibly a whole bunch of vets getting bought out and their career being over.

Lets say that they used the revenue formula. You could see a cap at $70M and with the escalator that gets you to say $74M. I am assuming a 20% loss in revenue here. The Oilers could probably make it by buying out Neal, eating 50% of Russel's contract after paying his bonus and not resigning AA. But how would the BUDs make it work?? The would already be $3M over on 17 contracts with half their defense to sign. If they moved Nylander, Kapanen, and Johnsson and took no salary back and let Barrie and Ceci walk they would probably be able to get under the cap.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
good depth signings...hopefully Holland still upgrades the 3rd line Center position

Yes, it'd be nice to move on from Russell / Neal (if no compliance buyout or cap decrease then I'd prefer trading Russell) and get a 3C. Re-sign Sheahan for 4C and see if Smith has juice for another year (we'll see at playoffs) or get another 1B and team is set, IMO. Gives some space for Benson and some others to get a shot to grab a spot out of camp.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
well, it's best for the owners. It's bad for players who are on contract, because there are teams with cap space who could spend a lot, which ramps up the escrow

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He kind of looks like a cross between Klefa and Kass

Damn near 26 years old.

Meh. That’s when dmen are entering their prime. The question is can he step into the NHL. If he needs more than half a season in the AHL, it’s probably never happening

Probably within the threshhold of salary that can be buried in the minors depending on what the cap looks like next season.

Love it. He’s a pretty versatile guy and he’s shown well on pretty much any line he’s played. He’ll never light the league up, but he’s a good 13th forward to have around

Reactions: Moreaupheus

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
good depth signings...hopefully Holland still upgrades the 3rd line Center position

Yup.

I much prefer this compared to the days where we would sign a Euro overager, go through the time and effort (and pain) of developing them, only to not re-sign them and lose them to another team just when they would actually become good players.

People old enough to remember Jan Hejda probably know what I'm talking about.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

There really is no good option. With how much of an issue players have had with escrow in the past I can't imagine they'll be thrilled with the likelihood of it being much worse over the next two seasons then it's ever been. The league's got Seattle expansion fee coming (don't think that's HRR) and who knows what's gonna unfold with a new tv deal. All leading into a new CBA negotiation in 2022. Bettman has got his work cut out from him, even moreso if this season is completely wiped. After 8 months of no hockey I don't think there will be a stampede of fans back to arenas, between people finding other things to fill their time and a lot of people just not having the disposable income for things like season tickets or even just going to games, not to mention corporate revenues and companies that buy season tickets. Especially for a team like Edmonton where the local economy is going to be hit even harder. Between the tv deal and expansion the league was probably expecting record revenues over the next couple years, instead they'll likely be the worst they've been in a real long time.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Happy to see Haas extended. He's a good player that has been underused by Tippett this season. I'd like to see the exact same forward group back next year depending on the cap. Get Ennis extended next!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
With us being linked to that Swedish D man (he would be a solid 3rd pairing D man if he adapted to the NHL style of game) that has me thinking that Holland is moving out one of our D (beyond that of moving Russell and not keeping Green)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
With us being linked to that Swedish D man (he would be a solid 3rd pairing D man if he adapted to the NHL style of game) that has me thinking that Holland is moving out one of our D (beyond that of moving Russell and not keeping Green)
Any idea on how this potential new D's skating and defensive play is?

I know you had alot of knowledge about Persson before he came over, wondering if you have any about this new guy.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Any idea on how this potential new D's skating and defensive play is?

I know you had alot of knowledge about Persson before he came over, wondering if you have any about this new guy.

Only saw him play twice with Frolunda and he is my quick takes

1) Frolunda is one of the best teams in the SHL, good system and coach. Will be interesting to see how he adapts to the Oilers system
2) Unlike Persson, he actually can play in his own zone. With Persson that was my one big concern (and I am sure people got tired of me picking on it all the time). But he is PMD and can be dangerous in his own zone. But the Forlunda coach had no problems tossing him out when short handed and face off in his own zone. Unlike Persson who never saw the ice when his team was short handed,
3) He reminds me of Sekera for better or worse
4) His speed is deceptive, he takes long strides--I have him at about 6'3 and not the 6'1 he is listed at
5) He cheats in the offensive zone like Bear and has the ability to get back when caught. He would need to be with a defensive d man who could cover his mistakes
6) Not that physical but can take a hit
7) I compared Persson to Marc Andre Bergereon due to his nasty habit of doing low % passes that would get intercepted at the nhl level. Lennstrom, in the games I saw used the boards better and sees the ice better than Persson

Last edited:
Reactions: KYams17

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Only saw him play twice with Frolunda and he is my quick takes

1) Frolunda is one of the best teams in the SHL, good system and coach. Will be interesting to see how he adapts to the Oilers system
2) Unlike Persson, he actually can play in his own zone. With Persson that was my one big concern (and I am sure people got tired of me picking on it all the time). But he is PMD and can be dangerous in his own zone. But the Forlunda coach had problems tossing him out when short handed and face off in his own zone. Unlike Persson who never saw the ice when his team was short handed,
3) He reminds me of Sekera for better or worse
4) His speed is deceptive, he takes long strides--I have him at about 6'3 and not the 6'1 he is listed at
5) He cheats in the offensive zone like Bear and has the ability to get back when caught. He would need to be with a defensive d man who could cover his mistakes
6) Not that physical but can take a hit
7) I compared Persson to Marc Andre Bergereon due to his nasty habit of doing low % passes that would get intercepted at the nhl level. Lennstrom, in the games I saw used the boards better and sees the ice better than Persson
Sounds promising.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sounds promising.

I am looking at the oilers roster and trying to figure out where he fits. He is a LHD and we have Klefbom, Jones and Nurse already. But I can see him going Bakersfield, playing 20+ a night and being the first recall when someone gets injured

But we can all agree depth on D is always good

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I am looking at the oilers roster and trying to figure out where he fits. He is a LHD and we have Klefbom, Jones and Nurse already. But I can see him going Bakersfield, playing 20+ a night and being the first recall when someone gets injured

But we can all agree depth on D is always good
Yep. Injuries happen so it's always good to have a few guys like this ready to play

Reactions: yukoner88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad