Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Rishaug: Expect Swedish FA Theodor Lennstrom Signing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For in this upcoming draft, which I hope will allow player trades--if they do not it will be a dull draft

I would be looking at trading some guys to get the picks we traded away back

Most of us would agree Benning/Russell are the ones most likely moved partly due to the fact that Mike Green may want to stay around with the Oilers as their 5/6/7 guy and Bouchard being on the crust on being ready

Trying to recoop something on JP

If the draft does happen before the season actually ends and we can not trade players? BPA for each slot we have

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So, there's an NHL quality LW in Leipsic available for free. Would be an upgrade over Khaira, etc. Might be better to try and stray away from certain players though admittedly.

Kassian worked out wonderfully, and we know he had similar issues to Leipsic. Ask anyone who knew him in his junior or early NHL days. He was able to turn it around. I'm 100% sure that Kass WAS talking just as badly about other people as Leipsic was. Hell, I know 100% for a fact that a lot of people on the Oilers current roster still talk in this manner.

Anyway, maybe it's not worth it. Leipsic had been thrown around a bunch of different teams as an extra guy. Too good for the AHL, and not REALLY good enough to be playing big minutes in the NHL.

Honestly, the only reason at all that I could understand not taking a flyer on him would be that he chirped McDavid's girlfriend's legs (lol). For that reason I suppose he would be a no-go, as his skill isn't worth that. Similar to the Brandon Manning debacle bringing him here in the first place. Chiarelli is a moron in case some of you somehow forgot.

Anyway, hope you're all doing well.
Leipsic has bounced around a bunch of orgs, 5 already and is already 25. That's not usually a good sign for a player. Even take away the recent drama that's a red flag right there. There are a lot of players in the league as good as Leipsic that you can sign for cheap in the off season that won't have his obvious baggage.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
In regards to the 3C speculation, I wonder if Brandon Sutter might be an option if the Canucks are in the market for a defenseman.

Russell and Benning are both options to move money out. All have just one year remaining on their current deals.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
In regards to the 3C speculation, I wonder if Brandon Sutter might be an option if the Canucks are in the market for a defenseman.

Russell and Benning are both options to move money out. All have just I've year remaining on their current deals.

Vancouver would have to retain because Sutter is not that good and isn’t worth his contract.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Russell and Benning are both options to move money out. All have just I've year remaining on their current deals.

Think Benning is actually an RFA after this year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

We should probably stay away from anyone that Jim Benning considers a "foundational player."

duul

Jun 21, 2010
You don't trade Caleb Jones for anything IMO.

He looked like IMO our best defenceman down the stretch when Bear started faltering just a tad.

Pretty insane that two rookies in Bear and Jones were consistently showing up the rest of our D core in terms of efficient zone exits, which is in today's game the most important metric for a defenceman to succeed in. Just goes to show that just because someone like Klefbom is your team's best defenceman, doesn't mean he is actually GOOD in comparison to the rest of the league. This group has struggled every year due to a lack of competent defence, and Jones + Bear have been a breath of fresh air. Both of those guys, even if they stagnate in development from this point on as rookies, would be decent 1st and 2nd pairing guys. Sure, we are missing a top end #1 D, but after that, Bear and Jones fit in nicely around the league in those positions IMO.

Can't wait until we see what Bouchard can do. I don't think it would be unlikely for him to see action if the season/playoffs resumes. He will be up with the big club ready to go if needed.

Klefbom-Bear
Jones-Larsson
Nurse-Green/Benning/Bouchard

That is a formidable d group. Advanced stats showing that their D partners default to Bear/Jones for the breakout at every given opportunity mostly. This should tell you all you need to know. When Nurse is giving Ethan Bear, a rookie, the puck to be trusted with the breakout...that says it all. Same goes for when Larsson would hand it over to Caleb Jones, another rookie whenever possible.

Going to be exciting times when hockey starts up again. I hope Bouchard sees some action because he would really shine if he was paired with Darnell Nurse IMO on a third pairing. He might do that job just as good as if not better than Mike Green, depending on how healthy Green is.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You don't trade Caleb Jones for anything IMO.

He looked like IMO our best defenceman down the stretch when Bear started faltering just a tad.

Pretty insane that two rookies in Bear and Jones were consistently showing up the rest of our D core in terms of efficient zone exits, which is in today's game the most important metric for a defenceman to succeed in. Just goes to show that just because someone like Klefbom is your team's best defenceman, doesn't mean he is actually GOOD in comparison to the rest of the league. This group has struggled every year due to a lack of competent defence, and Jones + Bear have been a breath of fresh air. Both of those guys, even if they stagnate in development from this point on as rookies, would be decent 1st and 2nd pairing guys. Sure, we are missing a top end #1 D, but after that, Bear and Jones fit in nicely around the league in those positions IMO.

Can't wait until we see what Bouchard can do. I don't think it would be unlikely for him to see action if the season/playoffs resumes. He will be up with the big club ready to go if needed.

Klefbom-Bear
Jones-Larsson
Nurse-Green/Benning/Bouchard

That is a formidable d group. Advanced stats showing that their D partners default to Bear/Jones for the breakout at every given opportunity mostly. This should tell you all you need to know. When Nurse is giving Ethan Bear, a rookie, the puck to be trusted with the breakout...that says it all. Same goes for when Larsson would hand it over to Caleb Jones, another rookie whenever possible.

Going to be exciting times when hockey starts up again. I hope Bouchard sees some action because he would really shine if he was paired with Darnell Nurse IMO on a third pairing. He might do that job just as good as if not better than Mike Green, depending on how healthy Green is.
Jones showed he was capable of playing in the NHL. Not sure we should get too far ahead of ourselves. Bear showed he is a top 4 nhl D. Jones showed he can probably be a regular but still needs to prove it and I question whether he will ever be a top 4 D. Solid progression from him though. With Bouchard knocking on the door and Broberg in the system we can stand pat on D and not worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad