Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
If its a question of Kulich/Savoie or Olofsson, then Kulich/Savoie. But that shouldn't be the question. Lets add some grit/PK/face-off/experience in the bottom-6 and jettison Olofsson. I am confident (lol) we can make the playoffs with a couple smart free agent signings, and evaluate Mitts/Krebs/Peterka as far as being parts of the long term core. When we do add Kulich&Savoie in 2024/25, one of Mitts/Krebs/Peterka will be traded I think.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If its a question of Kulich/Savoie or Olofsson, then Kulich/Savoie. But that shouldn't be the question. Lets add some grit/PK/face-off/experience in the bottom-6 and jettison Olofsson. I am confident (lol) we can make the playoffs with a couple smart free agent signings, and evaluate Mitts/Krebs/Peterka as far as being parts of the long term core. When we do add Kulich&Savoie in 2024/25, one of Mitts/Krebs/Peterka will be traded I think.

In order to do that, someone needs to go.

I think a lot of people have gravitated to this being Olofsson's last season here. Fine, that's 1. Hinnestroza won't be retained. That's 2.

Both are currently extras.

-The Thompson and Kids lines aren't going anywhere.
-Mittelstadt isn't going anywhere (even though I'd be willing to explore that and piss his fan club off).
-Krebs is part of the young core, he isn't leaving.
-Z and Okposo, I think, will have big input for themselves. If they want to stay, they'll stay.
-Some twitter folks tell me Tyson Jost isn't going anywhere, great team fit.
-We JUST traded for Greenway, so Adams isn't dropping that idea after less than 20 games.

I just riffed off 12 forwards that people to varying degrees think can't/won't be moved.

This is usually why I'll bang heads with people who like Mitts, or Jost, or Z/Okposo.

"Let's improve our forward group" is a great statement to make, but it clashes with also keeping everyone. I didn't even get to our 2 top prospects either...

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
In order to do that, someone needs to go.

I think a lot of people have gravitated to this being Olofsson's last season here. Fine, that's 1. Hinnestroza won't be retained. That's 2.

Both are currently extras.

-The Thompson and Kids lines aren't going anywhere.
-Mittelstadt isn't going anywhere (even though I'd be willing to explore that and piss his fan club off).
-Krebs is part of the young core, he isn't leaving.
-Z and Okposo, I think, will have big input for themselves. If they want to stay, they'll stay.
-Some twitter folks tell me Tyson Jost isn't going anywhere, great team fit.
-We JUST traded for Greenway, so Adams isn't dropping that idea after less than 20 games.

I just riffed off 12 forwards that people to varying degrees think can't/won't be moved.

This is usually why I'll bang heads with people who like Mitts, or Jost, or Z/Okposo.

"Let's improve our forward group" is a great statement to make, but it clashes with also keeping everyone. I didn't even get to our 2 top prospects either...
Personally I think Okposo needs to retire, or maybe he can wear the Sabretooth costume... either way.
Jost I'd be fine with as a 13th forward. I think as far as what he provides, Savoie could provide a similar type of play with a much higher offensive upside, but I'd like to see Kulich and Savoie wait another year just to have their ELC's end when Skinners deal ends. That would add flexibility with the cap the last year of Skinners deal.
Gus I have no issue with on the 4th line.

Skinner-Tuch-Tage
Quinn-Cozens-Greenway
Peterka-Krebs-Mittelstadt
Gus-XXX-XXX
Jost, Rousek

I think that gives you some added flexibility to add a couple of solid 2 way forwards. Lines can shift around as needed, Krebs could be 4C again, Kids line could stay together, though to me JJP isn't a top 6 forward, and Greenway I think might add more to that line if they can find some chemistry there.

Injecting Savoie and Kulich into the line-up is where it really comes to the point where Adams needs to decide on some players, and I think that's better left for next offseason when Mitts and Krebs are RFA's and they have a 2nd season to view Quinn and Peterka. Especially when they have a lot of similar players with high end skill. They also have young players who have less skill, but play the game in a way that the roster is missing (thinking Nadeau here) to consider down the road.

Then again this could all be thrown out the window if they are trying to assemble a team with 4 lines that can score. Not sure any team has ever done that though. Either way, tough decisions will need to be made the next 2 offseasons, and maybe even further out once Ostlund, Rosen, Nadeau and others are ready.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Love money puck right now look at row 83 😂

Screenshot_20230407-090244.png

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I think some of you are pretty harsh on Okposo. I don't think he's hurting us in games - he's been clutch a few times this season - and he's putting up decent points for a "fourth line" player - 11-16-27. Every younger player looks up to him and he's been a great resource for Kevin Adams. I don't know if he will play next year or decide to move into management but suggestions like "he can wear the Sabretooth costume" are very dismissive and don't show the man his respect. Guy has been here through the absolute darkest years of the Sabres and still loves the team and the city and in his first year of being the captain we've already had our best season in 11 years. Guy has come back from multiple injuries including one that was life threatening and he deserves respect.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Lets FAs Okposo, Hinostroza, and Anderson walk, re-sign Girgensons and Jost (Clague for Rochester but who cares).

UFA signing options - JT Compher (my best hope), Oskar Sunqvist, Nick Bjugstad, Connor Clifton, Damon Severson, Ryan Graves (except we have Stillman so...), Tristan Jarry, Joonas Korpisalo (which I don't expect KA to go after a goalie either).

Trade Olofsson for a 2nd/3rd, and Bryson for a 4th/5th...whatever. Just collect a couple picks to add into a trade for a 2nd pair RHD.

Trade options for RHD - Matt Roy (my best hope), Dante Fabbro, Andrew Peeke, Will Borgen, Rasmus Andersson (pipe dream), Connor Murphy.

Hope Savoie can make the team, but if not play Greenway with Mittelstadt and bring Rousek up. Kulich is first call-up option. Assuming Compher doesn't sign (practically a certainty), play Krebs up with Mittelstadt and hope to sign another guy...or run it back with Jost as a regular starter. I prefer going 13-8, and eventually trading a D-man at the deadline if Ryan Johnson proves himself.

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - Peterka
Mittelstadt - Compher - Savoie/Greenway
Girgensons - Krebs - Greenway/Rousek
Jost

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Roy
Graves - Jokiharju
Stillman - Lyubushkin

Comrie/UPL - yeah I want a better goalie but I just don't see it happening.

Last edited:

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I think some of you are pretty harsh on Okposo. I don't think he's hurting us in games - he's been clutch a few times this season - and he's putting up decent points for a "fourth line" player - 11-16-27. Every younger player looks up to him and he's been a great resource for Kevin Adams. I don't know if he will play next year or decide to move into management but suggestions like "he can wear the Sabretooth costume" are very dismissive and don't show the man his respect. Guy has been here through the absolute darkest years of the Sabres and still loves the team and the city and in his first year of being the captain we've already had our best season in 11 years. Guy has come back from multiple injuries including one that was life threatening and he deserves respect.
I love Okposo, but let's not pretend like he's the same player he was last season. Wearing the Sabretooth costume was nothing more than a joke. I'd like to see him stay around the team, but not in a player capacity. There would be better options for his role, and players available who can keep up with the speed of the team.

Hanging on to someone because they mean a lot to the team only works if that player also contributes as much as a replacement player would. At this point, I would argue that there are a number of players who could contribute just as much as Okposo if not more. He plays nearly 15 minutes a night, which is 3rd line minutes. Maybe on paper he is a part of the 4th line, but in terms of minutes he is not. He plays more even strength minutes than Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Olofsson and Jost.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I love Okposo, but let's not pretend like he's the same player he was last season. Wearing the Sabretooth costume was nothing more than a joke. I'd like to see him stay around the team, but not in a player capacity. There would be better options for his role, and players available who can keep up with the speed of the team.

Hanging on to someone because they mean a lot to the team only works if that player also contributes as much as a replacement player would. At this point, I would argue that there are a number of players who could contribute just as much as Okposo if not more. He plays nearly 15 minutes a night, which is 3rd line minutes. Maybe on paper he is a part of the 4th line, but in terms of minutes he is not. He plays more even strength minutes than Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Olofsson and Jost.

I'm not arguing that he should or shouldn't play next season but Okposo is way down on the list of players who have been an issue this season. He's definitely aged a bit from a season ago but he's not an anchor on this team.

And in the last minute of a one-goal game - who are you picking to be on the ice from your list: Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Olofsson, Jost, or Okposo? I might pick Quinn MAYBE depending on how he played that game or Cozens but I'm more confident having Okie on the ice.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Respect to Okposo, but his minutes are more a result of insulating young players that are going to have to play more minutes next season. He just can't skate anymore. Hard to justify re-signing him when there could be any combination of Greenway, Savoie, Kulich, Rousek, or hopefully a new FW to play with the speed that Okposo doesn't have (and kind of never did).

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Girgs and Okposo.

Girgs - I think people don't understand his role, and how important it is, and how good at it he is. I think KA 100% plans on offering him a 2-3 year contract extension. Players like Girgs are critical 4th line players on good playoff teams. At 29 he is still in his prime, and likely has another 2-3 really good years left in him. If Girgs wants to be here he will be resigned.

Okposo - Again, what was his role this year compared to last year. Last year he was on a veteran possession line with a good faceoff guy in Eakin. They took defensive zone draws, got possesion, took it to the other end and cycled it till they got a shot off on the goalie to freeze it for our top line to take the Ozone faceoff. He got PP time and played up the lineup for injuries.
This year he was given a practically rookie center who was floundering (Krebs) and was asked to give him simple play and stability so he could get back on track and develop. Very different role and potential for scoring. If Okposo had a veteran possession center to play with his numbers would be much better.

Prediction - I believe they will sign him to a one year contract. If Girgs signs then I think they will also go get a veteran possession center to play with them on a legit 4th line. Jost will get traded, not tendered, or be 13th.

Crazy Talk - When thinking about Okposo, you have to also think about the Captaincy. That brings me to the Sabres #1 goal this offseason, which is to sign Dahlin to an 8 year extension. I believe the Sabres would like Tuch to be the next Captain, and I also think he is the best choice. If Dahlin has made the Captaincy a piece of the negotiations, and the Sabres don't think its the best idea, then they could just sign Okposo to a one year deal right away and just take the discussion off the table and out of the equation. If Dahlin signs and the captaincy is not an issue, then I think they let Okposo go.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If they have growth in Quinn and Peterka, it shouldn't be a surprise to see Okposo's minutes at ES and PK drop. He's 6th on the team in ESTOI (Gus is 9th) in part because the kiddos have had some games where they were very much rookies. His line is still tasked with being the line to flip possession and cycle.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I rather have them add 1 year vets to vacate the remaining spots at forward.
let Kulich be the injury call up/ and Savoie back to juniors.
I want them to make the playoffs next year, even Peterka/Quinn aren't consistent enough yet, thats why they sit when push comes to shove most of the time;

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think the narrative that people on this board are big Mitts fans is a thing mostly invented by the Mittelstadt haters.

There are several Mittelstadt realists, (myself included), who defended him earlier in the season realizing that the effort and on ice awareness was there, but the chemistry wasn't (playing with Asplund and Vic).

Most of his defenders would probably be fine with moving him out if Adams could get good value based on his play and not his reputation, and bring in an upgrade -- but if we are being realistic, his perceived value around the league is much lower than his actual skillset value, so that is not a likely scenario.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Next year for me looks like this.

Tuch-Thompson-Skinner
Quinn-Cozens-Peterka
Greenway-X-Mitts
Girgs-Krebs-Okposo
Jost,Hino/X

Dahlin-Sammy
Power-X
Joker-Boosh
Stillman

X
UPL/Levi

Adams needs to do whatever it takes to get in a #1 goalie with starter experience. I want Varlamov on a 3 yr deal. Overpay if needed.

A vet 3rd line, two way C. Help the PK. Become the go to end of game faceoff guy. Help to build a real strong two way line with Greenway and Mitts. ROR would be a dream. But this needs to be a proven NHL’er. More of a late in his prime, few good years left guy to really help lead the young guys. Adams definitely has the prospects and picks needed to pull this kind of trade.

Top 4 defensive minded D. Basically another Samuelsson to stick with Power. Pushes Boosh and Joker to be 10-12 min a night guys at best

The 14th forward spot can go to Hino. Personally i would prefer a more physical vet.

Not many moves needed but all very important.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
If they have growth in Quinn and Peterka, it shouldn't be a surprise to see Okposo's minutes at ES and PK drop. He's 6th on the team in ESTOI (Gus is 9th) in part because the kiddos have had some games where they were very much rookies. His line is still tasked with being the line to flip possession and cycle.
some

definitely for peterka the 'very much rookies' has been more frequent than this team could be expected to survive

Peterka will be low on my season grades, probably just above VO and Hino, his December through February was pretty horrific

maybe it just stands out because of how well everyone else seemed to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad