Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Are you saying Girgensons is a 1m dollar a year player? o_O

That deal was signed in the 2020 Offseason.

NHL had just agreed to a flat cap and teams were everyone was taking a hair cut.

A comparison was is Jesper Fast signed a 3 year, 2M per deal
Johan Larsson signed a 2 year, 1.4M deal
He got More than Kyle Turris, Justin Braun, Pat Maroon, etc.

I'd be shocked if he got more than 1.0M on the open market that fall given the situation. .

And even now, the market rate for a vet 4th liner is right around 1M a year. I like Zemgus...he isn't worth 2.2 M a season. Heck he's making more than Nico Sturm in the same role and Nico Sturm has the added utility of being great at faceoffs.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
That deal was signed in the 2020 Offseason.

NHL had just agreed to a flat cap and teams were everyone was taking a hair cut.

A comparison was is Jesper Fast signed a 3 year, 2M per deal
Johan Larsson signed a 2 year, 1.4M deal
He got More than Kyle Turris, Justin Braun, Pat Maroon, etc.

I'd be shocked if he got more than 1.0M on the open market that fall given the situation. .

And even now, the market rate for a vet 4th liner is right around 1M a year. I like Zemgus...he isn't worth 2.2 M a season. Heck he's making more than Nico Sturm in the same role and Nico Sturm has the added utility of being great at faceoffs.

How many of those examples wear a letter?

His role as a team leader earns him more than a typical 4th liner.

Also, EH's contract projections have been pretty close on a lot of actual signed contracts. Their contract projection from last year's calculator had Girgs worth $2.278M/yr if he signed a 3 year term.

Lastly, EH's calculator has Girgs as a more valuable player than Sturm...

1675537720153.png

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
What spot would that be? The bolded doesn’t really mean anything.

Player X is currently a middle 6 winger on pace for 45pts. He can fill in at center, plays on PP, plays late in games (with the lead or trying to come back) and is a leader in the room. He only makes 2.5mil this year and next. Thats a pretty versatile/valuable depth player. If his name wasn‘t Mittelstadt you’d probably be excited about player X.

It’s maddening how toxic Sabres twitter has been about Mitts. Its leaked into this forum and colors the debate. There is no rational reason to not like what he’s become this season. Especially with him being paired with VO and what thats meant for Donny balancing out the youth.
This is the 2nd time you’ve gone here.

I can come to my own god damn conclusions on Mittelstadt. I don’t need it to be told to me that I get this opinion from some source of Sabres discussion you dislike. You know who else Sabres Twitter doesn’t like? Krebs; and I couldn’t be a bigger Krebs fan.

After drafting 17 forwards in the last 2 drafts, eventually, the team is going to move out guys. I view Mittelstadt as the first guy to go. You don’t. That’s fine. I’m not sitting here saying what a toxic group team Mittelstadt is.

Reactions: Aladyyn and Bendium

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
That's a great sales pitch to a prospective team you're offering him to.

I think you're selling him short truthfully
I honestly don't think you would get much for him. He could be best used as the NHL player going back to fill a roster hole, in a trade to a tank team plus a pick to take a decent bottom six back.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Is Chad legit? I saw his post regarding Cozens posted, so I figured he had some credibility:

Chad has some source (probably someone that works in the Sabres media department) where he gets info right before something is about to happen. Usually right before a trade or an extension.

When it comes to insider trade negotiations he doesn't really have any credibility.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Actually, just checked.

Greenway averaging closer to 14 minutes a game and has only 6 points, having played 5 more games.

Sounds like he's in a defensive role as well, but still, something seems up with that type of weak production.

I personally would rather keep the better skater in Asplund moving forward.
The working theory is that Greenway is miscast and being misused in Minnesota and has the potential to unlock more offensive potential under Granato.

Given how Asplund has had a disappointing season thus far and does not seem to fit what Granato likes in a forward, I would see a Asplund for Greenway swap as one that could potentially be a win-win for each club and both players.

Minnesota gets a solid defensive forward and Buffalo gets a big, skilled guy who Granato might get more out of offensively due to the different style of coaching and the different style of play that they would expect from Greenway.

I really like Asplund. But, he does not seem like a good fit with Granato. That happens.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The working theory is that Greenway is miscast and being misused in Minnesota and has the potential to unlock more offensive potential under Granato.

Given how Asplund has had a disappointing season thus far and does not seem to fit what Granato likes in a forward, I would see a Asplund for Greenway swap as one that could potentially be a win-win for each club and both players.

Minnesota gets a solid defensive forward and Buffalo gets a big, skilled guy who Granato might get more out of offensively due to the different style of coaching and the different style of play that they would expect from Greenway.

I really like Asplund. But, he does not seem like a good fit with Granato. That happens.

Piggybacking on this: Seems like Asplund would be the exact type of guy that Minny would love on their bottom 6.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
One thing I’m not quite following is how everyone projects the workload of the lines. Unless I’m mistaken by ice time 5v5 it goes:
Thompson
Jost
Krebs
Cozens

With the big caveat that they often “double” shift Cozens. More like they platoon him with other wingers.

Reactions: Chainshot

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Chad has some source (probably someone that works in the Sabres media department) where he gets info right before something is about to happen. Usually right before a trade or an extension.

When it comes to insider trade negotiations he doesn't really have any credibility.
Didn't he break or have an inkling of the Jokiharju Nylander trade? Other than that he hasn't broke much.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
One thing I’m not quite following is how everyone projects the workload of the lines. Unless I’m mistaken by ice time 5v5 it goes:
Thompson
Jost
Krebs
Cozens

With the big caveat that they often “double” shift Cozens. More like they platoon him with other wingers.
I am not sure how to answer your actual question, but the bolded is something of a concern that I think should be thier biggest priority to fix, tied with needing a #4 dman.

Quinn and Peterka look a couple years away from being ready to hold down full 2nd line minutes. Cozens is ready, and likely held back by not having a pair of consistent, more developed wingers. Once they sign him long term, they need to flesh out his line appropriately.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Quinn and Peterka look a couple years away from being ready to hold down full 2nd line minutes.

A couple of years? Both have looked and have been intermittently capable of pulling regular 2nd line minutes this year.

It's entirely possible that given an entire offseason to work on their bodies, they're ready to be 2nd line players next year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This is the 2nd time you’ve gone here.

I can come to my own god damn conclusions on Mittelstadt. I don’t need it to be told to me that I get this opinion from some source of Sabres discussion you dislike. You know who else Sabres Twitter doesn’t like? Krebs; and I couldn’t be a bigger Krebs fan.
That riff about Sabres twitter (Mostly Chad and his posse) isn’t specifically about your take. Its a general comment on how badly they’ve poisoned the discourse on certain players. It, along with discourse on here, has an impact on how players like Mitts are valued by fans. Its hard for it not to.

I bring it up because if we’re going to trade Mitts it better be for full value. Most trade proposals I see on here are undervaluing, sometimes by a lot, what Mitts brings. They come across to me as trading him just to move on from him. Thus my initial comment about the “committee to move on from Mitts” having met.

I would prefer to keep him. But I’m not against trading him for an upgrade to the roster and proper value. I haven’t seen many proposals that do that.

After drafting 17 forwards in the last 2 drafts, eventually, the team is going to move out guys. I view Mittelstadt as the first guy to go. You don’t. That’s fine. I’m not sitting here saying what a toxic group team Mittelstadt is.
Thats a terrible reason to trade any forward. Plus you wanted to trade Mitts for another forward which contradicts your rationale for trading him in the first place.

Its not hard to imagine why I think some of you simply want to move on from him.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thompson
Jost
Krebs
Cozens

Sabres fandom and reporting has had issues for years looking at the ToI and assigning a number to the line. It's most frustrating when someone like PHam does it IMO, because that just perpetuates the commentary about "fourth liners".

Reactions: SnuggaRUDE

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
That riff about Sabres twitter (Mostly Chad and his posse) isn’t specifically about your take. Its a general comment on how badly they’ve poisoned the discourse on certain players. It, along with discourse on here, has an impact on how players like Mitts are valued by fans. Its hard for it not to.

I bring it up because if we’re going to trade Mitts it better be for full value. Most trade proposals I see on here are undervaluing, sometimes by a lot, what Mitts brings. They come across to me as trading him just to move on from him. Thus my initial comment about the “committee to move on from Mitts” having met.

I would prefer to keep him. But I’m not against trading him for an upgrade to the roster and proper value. I haven’t seen many proposals that do that.

Thats a terrible reason to trade any forward. Plus you wanted to trade Mitts for another forward which contradicts your rationale for trading him in the first place.

Its not hard to imagine why I think some of you simply want to move on from him.
Ah, so you're just taking the long way to say "I hate Greenway for Mittlestadt".

I take no offense, about 95% of everyone else I've talked to dislike the idea as well. I have liked a Hodgson-Kassian concept to add a tougher, bigger element to the bottom 6.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Greenway will never fit into the Sabres line-up in a scoring role...never. So for a heavy FW in a checking role, he either is not going to want that, or KA/fans won't want to pay the likely price to acquire him, just to be a player filling that role.

I'm puzzled not just by the Mitts for Greenway talk, but any trade talk about Greenway. He's not great in a scoring role, won't be on one in Buffalo, and doesn't want to just be a checking FW. What's the point in shuffling up the roster/locker room just to get a guy that's a dice roll at best in both on-ice and off-ice presence?

There are a lot easier routes to take just to add a heavy FW that won't score much in a checking role.

Minnesotspa wants homeboy and thinks greenway still has value like he did 3+ yrs ago.
Minnesota has littke center depth other than Rossi and think thry can get him cheap like he’s disposable.

they think he’s going to turn into a 25+ goal scorer on a good team In a top 6 role. I don’t see it.
Piggybacking on this: Seems like Asplund would be the exact type of guy that Minny would love on their bottom 6.
I’m fine doing Asplund-Greenway trade. They still get cap savings and he fits a role they want. Minnesota is in cap trouble next year with $9M space for 9 players.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Thompson
Jost
Krebs
Cozens

thry have bern using Peterka-Quinn less than Cozens.

Cozens gets extra ice time from

PP1
PK
Extra F when goalie is pulled
playing more in OT
being a 2nd center later in games in Dzone draws if he’s not taking the draws.

i haven’t looked on Dzone draw use with Peterka/ Quinn

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
No one is saying he would be in a scoring role in Buffalo. People think he would be more offensively productive in our system then the role Minnesota wants him to play. That's all

I am not dead set on getting Greenway. It doesn't have to him but a player with his size and skillset is something I feel the Sabres need in their roster.
I'm all for a guy like Sundqvist or Rasmussen from Detroit, just not Greenway.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Thompson
Jost
Krebs
Cozens

One place I like to look for 5v5 ice time is Hockeyviz's line chart.

1675558988018.png

This matches the eye test, we basically have the top line with Tage, they consistently get the most minutes, and then Granato rolls the other 3 lines pretty evenly. He tilts the ice time game-by-game based on who's playing well. We've also seen the PKs and PPs jumble the line rotation as well in some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad