Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Cheap D .. McCabe really healed.. Not big on bringing anyone back ( no kanes ( I like evander in playoffs but no) , no softer rino..etc , keep the lockers free of entitled... ). But.. McCabe is a plus two playing nearly all the games on the Hawks.. +2. Compared to Kane toews etc -26 and -24 or something..( such pride turning it on for possible suitors)

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If you mean the '23-24 team, it's a stretch to think any of those four are close to coming into the lineup. None of them have begun to dominate their respective leagues.

They very much need more out of the Peterka and Quinn tandem. The Mitts-Jost-Vic trio has cooled after providing necessary scoring depth - 1 goal, no assists in the last 4? 5? games. The Krebs line still has managed to play the possession game and flip ends regularly, but the middle 6 is not up to snuff.

Then there is the defense compared with contenting playoff teams...
I mean the 23-24 because the prospects could be playing in 24-25 which might affect how you choose

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Dumpster fire diving

Tutor Russians may want out..

Takes pride in his game, may also want out

Kulikov and schenn (d) if cheap..

I don't watch that much other than us , tell me why I'd hate these..

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dumpster fire diving

Tutor Russians may want out..

Takes pride in his game, may also want out

Kulikov and schenn if cheap..

I don't watch that much other than us , tell me why I'd hate these..

Mikheyev is out for the rest of the season after knee surgery.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Let's be honest, he only stayed in Buffalo on his last contract because Buffalo massively overpaid him. Easily double his market price, maybe more. I wouldn't be shocked if he came back, I don't think the Sabres will overshoot the market for him again (though, they did with Anderson, so who knows)
Are you saying Girgensons is a 1m dollar a year player? o_O

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Um, a player of his size, yes. Him, no.

Also Yes, I completely agree that the criticism Mitts received was stupid. And yes, he's also not a bruiser.

Mmmmm, maybe :dunno:

I agree that him and Mitts play a similar style. The problem on the surface with saying they play a similar role is that most see them as playmaking perimeter players. However, the underrated part of their game is how tenacious they are on the puck and their board play. I would personally want to keep both until someone else supplants them.

This is where you lost me, I don't think it makes sense. Mitts is one of the hardest working players on the team and is respected by his teammates. During interviews when a player talks about his teammates, Mitts is almost always mentioned shortly after KO as one of the key guys here.

Greenway on the other hand has a history of work ethic concerns, doesn't use his size consistently, and commitment issues. Just assuming Donny has some magic wand that can solve these things is a dangerous line of thinking. The culture in the room is not all on Donny, it has a lot to do with the guys Adams got rid of and brought in as well. Greenway would definitely go against that.
I don't know Greenway but I'd bet if he's a must-have from Granato, Adams will go out and get him.

I like the player but it is a downgrade from a guy with better counting stats, horrid linemates for most of the season and leaves his nuts on the ice every night.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Confirmed? That's unfortunate and changes the math if so...

I defended Mittelstadt pretty much all last summer, strictly due to the locker room stuff, where it was apparent he was a young leader.

Eventually though, you'll need to do better than him in the spot he plays to be a contender. I don't see him overcoming our younger guys as an offensive threat, nor do I see him becoming a great defensive player. We can't hold on for leadership alone, when room's leadership should be fine with Dahlin, Tuch, Cozens, Krebs, Thompson.
What spot would that be? The bolded doesn’t really mean anything.

Player X is currently a middle 6 winger on pace for 45pts. He can fill in at center, plays on PP, plays late in games (with the lead or trying to come back) and is a leader in the room. He only makes 2.5mil this year and next. Thats a pretty versatile/valuable depth player. If his name wasn‘t Mittelstadt you’d probably be excited about player X.

It’s maddening how toxic Sabres twitter has been about Mitts. Its leaked into this forum and colors the debate. There is no rational reason to not like what he’s become this season. Especially with him being paired with VO and what thats meant for Donny balancing out the youth.

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
With the Sabres roster crunch, I threw Asplund for Greenway out there previously. I really like Asplund. But, given how this season has gone for him, I wouldn't be against that move.
How Asplund's season has gone? He's averaging 11 minutes a game in the games they have dressed him. He's also more of a defensive forward.

Clearly they are prioritizing Krebs over him for some reason.

Asplund is 25, great skater and worker, and probably would be a replacement for Girgs or Okposo should the Sabres choose to not sign either after the season.

Not sure we make out by giving up on him at this point.

Have no idea how he and Greenway stack up against each other either though, which was really what you were suggesting.

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Actually, just checked.

Greenway averaging closer to 14 minutes a game and has only 6 points, having played 5 more games.

Sounds like he's in a defensive role as well, but still, something seems up with that type of weak production.

I personally would rather keep the better skater in Asplund moving forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Matt Ress

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
How Asplund's season has gone? He's averaging 11 minutes a game in the games they have dressed him. He's also more of a defensive forward.

Asplund is 25, great skater and worker, and probably would be a replacement for Girgs or Okposo should the Sabres choose to not sign either after the season.

Have no idea how he and Greenway stack up against each other either though, which was really what you were suggesting.
Asplund right from start of the season just didn't look right and has played like crap since.... Definitely isn't playing anywhere near how he was playing most of last season. Not sure if it's a nagging injury or what, but his confidence is pretty much shot right now. Even his defensive play has absolutely sucked this year, very strange.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Actually, just checked.

Greenway averaging closer to 14 minutes a game and has only 6 points, having played 5 more games.

Sounds like he's in a defensive role as well, but still, something seems up with that type of weak production.

I personally would rather keep the better skater in Asplund moving forward.
Well I'm not sure Asplund is the better skater but that swap makes a lot more sense to me. According to Wild fans, Greenway has been struggling with shoulder injuries all season which has affected his point totals.

He plays on a line with Ek and it's a well known strong defensive line but also, Greenway is not happy with his defensive deployment which was the crux of his complaining about the coach and GM so there's that. Defense could be seen as his bread and butter but apparently, he's not happy with that role. All gathered from Wild fans.

If the team is not high on him anymore, Asplund and a late pick could get it done although they would be seemingly selling low. His role doesn't look like it would be changing in Minn anytime soon though and he's not seen as a core piece to the franchise.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Greenway will never fit into the Sabres line-up in a scoring role...never. So for a heavy FW in a checking role, he either is not going to want that, or KA/fans won't want to pay the likely price to acquire him, just to be a player filling that role.

I'm puzzled not just by the Mitts for Greenway talk, but any trade talk about Greenway. He's not great in a scoring role, won't be on one in Buffalo, and doesn't want to just be a checking FW. What's the point in shuffling up the roster/locker room just to get a guy that's a dice roll at best in both on-ice and off-ice presence?

There are a lot easier routes to take just to add a heavy FW that won't score much in a checking role.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019

Aspland is not big enough, physical enough, or drive possession enough to replace Girgs, Okposo, or a player like Greenway. He also provides even less offensive capability. He has a few skills that are NHL level, but the rest are AHL level, so he either becomes an AHL vet or a 13/14 guy paid to sit alot. Definitely on the list to be replaced.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
What spot would that be? The bolded doesn’t really mean anything.

Player X is currently a middle 6 winger on pace for 45pts. He can fill in at center, plays on PP, plays late in games (with the lead or trying to come back) and is a leader in the room. He only makes 2.5mil this year and next. Thats a pretty versatile/valuable depth player. If his name wasn‘t Mittelstadt you’d probably be excited about player X.

It’s maddening how toxic Sabres twitter has been about Mitts. Its leaked into this forum and colors the debate. There is no rational reason to not like what he’s become this season. Especially with him being paired with VO and what thats meant for Donny balancing out the youth.
Roster thread: Get To Work

A couple days ago I posted in the link above concerning his stats, and came to the same conclusion as you did above, except one thing. He has consistently had a negative impact on winning. He has consistently been a -20 +/- player every year, including this year where he is on pace for -21 on a team that has a positive goal differential. People blame his linemates like Olofsson, but Olof has put 23 goals in the net, which is part of the reason Mitts assists are up.

He is not at the top of the list of what needs replacing, but he is on it. His stats as a middle six winger would be fine if he was a positive impact player, but he has not been. I am not against holding on to him for another year to see if he figures it out as a winger, but I also have zero reservation about trading him away to improve the team, likely by both addition, and subtraction.

Reactions: PatLaFontaineASMR

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Greenway will never fit into the Sabres line-up in a scoring role...never. So for a heavy FW in a checking role, he either is not going to want that, or KA/fans won't want to pay the likely price to acquire him, just to be a player filling that role.

I'm puzzled not just by the Mitts for Greenway talk, but any trade talk about Greenway. He's not great in a scoring role, won't be on one in Buffalo, and doesn't want to just be a checking FW. What's the point in shuffling up the roster/locker room just to get a guy that's a dice roll at best in both on-ice and off-ice presence?

There are a lot easier routes to take just to add a heavy FW that won't score much in a checking role.
No one is saying he would be in a scoring role in Buffalo. People think he would be more offensively productive in our system then the role Minnesota wants him to play. That's all

I am not dead set on getting Greenway. It doesn't have to him but a player with his size and skillset is something I feel the Sabres need in their roster.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
No one is saying he would be in a scoring role in Buffalo. People think he would be more offensively productive in our system then the role Minnesota wants him to play. That's all

I am not dead set on getting Greenway. It doesn't have to him but a player with his size and skillset is something I feel the Sabres need in their roster.
This is literally the crux of the problem though. Reports are he doesn't like his deployment in Minny which is in a defensive role. If he isn't getting a scoring role here then he is going to have the same problem with his deployment as he did in Minny and still be unhappy.

If you want greenway and you want him to be happy you have to slot him into a scoring role and if we are looking for a player in a scoring role Mitts is flat out better in that regard. So why make the trade? So we can have a disgruntled player who doesn't want to be here on the 3rd or 4th line?

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
This is literally the crux of the problem though. Reports are he doesn't like his deployment in Minny which is in a defensive role. If he isn't getting a scoring role here then he is going to have the same problem with his deployment as he did in Minny and still be unhappy.

If you want greenway and you want him to be happy you have to slot him into a scoring role and if we are looking for a player in a scoring role Mitts is flat out better in that regard. So why make the trade? So we can have a disgruntled player who doesn't want to be here on the 3rd or 4th line?
He can be a 3rd liner and be more offensively productive in our system. Why can't both those things coexist?

And to be clear I am not on the "Mittelstadt is useless and needs to go." team. I love Mittelstadt and feel he gets a bad wrap around Sabreland. I threw his name out there because I question what his future is here.. Adams didn't draft him, they have a lot of young talented forwards in the pipeline, they lack physicality and need a top 4 d man.
He and VO have value and can see Adams using them to acquire those things. But it depends on what Adams has in mind.

Edit: And if you can get Greenway for like an Asplund and a late pick? Even better!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zman5778

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Roster thread: Get To Work

A couple days ago I posted in the link above concerning his stats, and came to the same conclusion as you did above, except one thing. He has consistently had a negative impact on winning. He has consistently been a -20 +/- player every year, including this year where he is on pace for -21 on a team that has a positive goal differential. People blame his linemates like Olofsson, but Olof has put 23 goals in the net, which is part of the reason Mitts assists are up.

He is not at the top of the list of what needs replacing, but he is on it. His stats as a middle six winger would be fine if he was a positive impact player, but he has not been. I am not against holding on to him for another year to see if he figures it out as a winger, but I also have zero reservation about trading him away to improve the team, likely by both addition, and subtraction.

Mitts has been a -2 in ES Goal differential in over 200 minutes with Jost & Olofsson with very strong on-ice impacts.

1675531841364.png

This would suggest that his early season linemates (Hino, Asplund, etc) are mostly responsible for dragging down his overall +/-

I still think his linemates are mediocre, although VO has been much better lately. However, if we put Tage or Cozens between VO & Jost and their production dropped, people would have their pitchforks out for Granato's head.

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Aspland is not big enough, physical enough, or drive possession enough to replace Girgs, Okposo, or a player like Greenway. He also provides even less offensive capability. He has a few skills that are NHL level, but the rest are AHL level, so he either becomes an AHL vet or a 13/14 guy paid to sit alot. Definitely on the list to be replaced.
That's a great sales pitch to a prospective team you're offering him to.

I think you're selling him short truthfully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad