Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Has the organization discussed Girgensons or Okposo or have either of them expressed interest in returning next year?

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Has the organization discussed Girgensons or Okposo or have either of them expressed interest in returning next year?
I've been waiting on it since no one else has mentioned it, but yeah, it should be a significant discussion.

If Okposo wants to come back, I don't see how you don't bring him back...

The Girgensons logic is probably similar. He's the Pegula's longest tenured soldier, has been through ALL the bullshit, and still works his ass off here.

On the other hand, I'd love to rebuild a new 4th line that's bigger/meaner and better. (I'll be pumping UFA Garnet Hathaway this summer).

It's tricky...

Reactions: pf8363

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

They have both mentioned how much they enjoy it in Buffalo. *shrug* I would think letter-wearers would get consideration based on how much Adams and Granato praise their work ethic, professionalism and leadership.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I've been waiting on it since no one else has mentioned it, but yeah, it should be a significant discussion.

If Okposo wants to come back, I don't see how you don't bring him back...

The Girgensons logic is probably similar. He's the Pegula's longest tenured soldier, has been through ALL the bullshit, and still works his ass off here.

On the other hand, I'd love to rebuild a new 4th line that's bigger/meaner and better. (I'll be pumping UFA Garnet Hathaway this summer).

It's tricky...
Its kind of surprising its been under the radar. I would welcome Girgonsens back but Okposo's play could fall off a cliff any time due to his age so anything more than 2m wouldn't make sense.

They have both mentioned how much they enjoy it in Buffalo. *shrug* I would think letter-wearers would get consideration based on how much Adams and Granato praise their work ethic, professionalism and leadership.
You had mentioned them in the Greenway trade thread so I was curious about the 4th line next year and it seems a bit quiet from the organization for resigning them two. Maybe its a given so we dont here about it

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Girgensons was a huge Buffalo fan growing up. When the team posted this summer about the Goathead returning, he went on Twitter and posted a picture of his pencil case he had in school, which was the Goathead. The only team I can see him willingly moving to (discounting a bunch of money being thrown at him) is Pittsburgh, because his wife is from there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Its kind of surprising its been under the radar. I would welcome Girgonsens back but Okposo's play could fall off a cliff any time due to his age so anything more than 2m wouldn't make sense.

You had mentioned them in the Greenway trade thread so I was curious about the 4th line next year and it seems a bit quiet from the organization for resigning them two. Maybe its a given so we dont here about it

Yeah, without knowing what the plan is there, someone like Greenway -- BIG, usually defensively responsible -- is a fit for future plans (it doesn't have to be him just liking the idea of having a line built to flip ends and then cycle since we see what happens when they have that ability to roll into one of their scoring lines).

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
This is where you lost me, I don't think it makes sense. Mitts is one of the hardest working players on the team and is respected by his teammates. During interviews when a player talks about his teammates, Mitts is almost always mentioned shortly after KO as one of the key guys here.

Greenway on the other hand has a history of work ethic concerns, doesn't use his size consistently, and commitment issues. Just assuming Donny has some magic wand that can solve these things is a dangerous line of thinking. The culture in the room is not all on Donny, it has a lot to do with the guys Adams got rid of and brought in as well. Greenway would definitely go against that.
I think it makes sense in the fact that both players could use a change of scenery. I don't know if Mitts can reach his full potential in Buffalo and could have a bigger roll in Minnie. For Greenway I feel he has more skill to offer that doesn't match the wilds system.

I am not aware of the "work ethic concerns or commitment issues" besides being late to the team meeting this year but that very well could be true and I am just unaware.

I have watched a decent amount of Wild games this year and feel he uses his size pretty well some idk about claim.

And I mean... Thompson, Dahlin and Skinner were all players Sabre fans were worried about.. Thompson didn't look like he belonged in the league, Skinner looked washed up and Dahls was almost looking like a bust when in reality they were all being misused. Granato identified that and all 3 players have far exceeded expectations. We now have Hart and Norris candidiates on our roster. Not saying Donny can turn Greenway into an MVP player but Donny can identify players strengths and maybe get Greenway to perform to his full potential?

Last edited:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I think it makes sense in the fact that both players could use a change of scenery. I don't know if Mitts can reach his full potential in Buffalo and could have a bigger roll in Minnie. For Greenway I feel he has more skill to offer that doesn't match the wilds system.

I am not aware of the "work ethic concerns or commitment issues" besides being late to the team meeting this year but that very well could be true and I am just unaware.

I have watched a decent amount of Wild games this year and feel he uses his size pretty well some idk about claim.

And I mean... Thompson, Dahlin and Skinner were all players Sabre fans were worried about.. Thompson didn't look like he belonged in the league, Skinner looked washed up and Dahls was almost looking like a bust when in reality they were all being misused. Granato identified that and all 3 players have far exceeded expectations. We now have Hart and Norris candidiates on our roster. Not saying Donny can turn Greenway into an MVP player but Donny can identify players strengths and maybe get Greenway to perform to his full potential?

Here's How Jordan Greenway Can Unleash His Massive Untapped Potential

Minnesota Wild general manager Bill Guerin definitely expects more from Greenway. After August’s playoff elimination, he told Michael Russo on Straight from the Source, “He’s gotta dedicate himself to the game a lot more, and it’s time for him to take a step in maturity and work ethic and preparation and all these things.”

Harsh words from a GM. Rarely do they air grievances like this publicly. Still, it’s clear that Guerin sees the untapped possibilities of an unleashed Greenway. “His potential,” he said, “is through the roof.”

It's Now or Never For Jordan Greenway

The two most prominent complaints about his game are that he doesn’t take advantage of his stature and can be careless at times. That’s disappointing considering that he outlasted both promising young forwards Luke Kunin and Ryan Donato but hasn’t established himself as a core member of the team.

Remember, this is the same player that had a stern exit meeting with Bill Guerin where the Wild GM said that a stronger work ethic and getting in better shape were items Greenway needed to improve in.

“It’s motivating for sure,” Greenway said. “We’ve had a lot of conversations, some tougher than others, but they are all truthful, and they were all good for me to hear. It’s motivated me this offseason to get back in the gym a little earlier than I probably would have and just to have a mindset to take my game to the next level and have a bigger impact.”

It appears that this last incident was the last straw, the coaching staff seems tired of waiting on his potential.

I also don't think using our guys while being coached by Krueger is a great comparison, Minnesota has had a very good coaching staff through the past few years.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It appears that this last incident was the last straw, the coaching staff seems tired of waiting on his potential.

I also don't think using our guys while being coached by Krueger is a great comparison, Minnesota has had a very good coaching staff through the past few years.
Vanek seems to think the disconnect is that the Wild want Greenway to play a Ryan Reaves or Marcus Foligno type game and that isn't how he's wired.

He wants to play a more skill game. That is why I would think there is potential that Granato could unlock something that the Wild coaches have not yet.

If they are done with him, I think it would cost a lot less than Mitts to get him over here. The Wild would be happy with a 3rd or 4th and clearing the cap space.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Vanek seems to think the disconnect is that the Wild want Greenway to play a Ryan Reaves or Marcus Foligno type game and that isn't how he's wired.

He wants to play a more skill game. That is why I would think there is potential that Granato could unlock something that the Wild coaches have not yet.

If they are done with him, I think it would cost a lot less than Mitts to get him over here. The Wild would be happy with a 3rd or 4th and clearing the cap space.

I'd have no problem flipping a 3rd or less for him, the last lottery ticket (Jost) turned out pretty decent.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Here's How Jordan Greenway Can Unleash His Massive Untapped Potential

It's Now or Never For Jordan Greenway

I see that as the Wild having the wrong expectation/vision of him and that's why I think the change in scenery could be good for him but agree to disagree.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
With the Sabres roster crunch, I threw Asplund for Greenway out there previously. I really like Asplund. But, given how this season has gone for him, I wouldn't be against that move.
Thats the better deal for us but lets say they make that trade at the deadline. Asplund is our extra so who would sit out for Greenway? Maybe makes more sense to make the move in the offseason?

Reactions: toddkaz

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Don't wild fans want to get rid of Greenway because he is not that good of a lockerroom guy? Or was it because he is hard to coach?

Something along the lines was talked about on the wild board. IiRCR

he’s not the roll they want him to play in a 3rd line role
next season they have little cap space given thr Parise/Suter buy out.
They are at 14 players under contract with $9M in space. They will want to unload salary. The buyout hits them 2 more seasons.
Thats the better deal for us but lets say they make that trade at the deadline. Asplund is our extra so who would sit out for Greenway? Maybe makes more sense to make the move in the offseason?

i think such a deal is in the off-season.

Minnesota probably wants Mitts at 50%. I think a deal could be made moving PHL 2nd for their 1st

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The issue is around what happens to the bottom 7

Mitts- 1 yr left, 2 till UFA
Olofsson- 1 yr to UFA
Jost- RFA 2 yr to UFA
Girgs UFA
Okposo UFA
Asplund - 1 yr then RFA
Krebs- still on ELC and unlikely to go anywhere

in the pipeline the following players could be part of the 24/35 sabres

Rosen
Kulich
Ostlund
Savoie

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The issue is around what happens to the bottom 7

Mitts- 1 yr left, 2 till UFA
Olofsson- 1 yr to UFA
Jost- RFA 2 yr to UFA
Girgs UFA
Okposo UFA
Asplund - 1 yr then RFA
Krebs- still on ELC and unlikely to go anywhere

in the pipeline the following players could be part of the 24/35 sabres

Rosen
Kulich
Ostlund
Savoie

If you mean the '23-24 team, it's a stretch to think any of those four are close to coming into the lineup. None of them have begun to dominate their respective leagues.

They very much need more out of the Peterka and Quinn tandem. The Mitts-Jost-Vic trio has cooled after providing necessary scoring depth - 1 goal, no assists in the last 4? 5? games. The Krebs line still has managed to play the possession game and flip ends regularly, but the middle 6 is not up to snuff.

Then there is the defense compared with contenting playoff teams...

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I like the idea of Asplund for Greenway but I don't see Minnesota making that deal. They can have Bryson too :)

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Girgensons was a huge Buffalo fan growing up. When the team posted this summer about the Goathead returning, he went on Twitter and posted a picture of his pencil case he had in school, which was the Goathead. The only team I can see him willingly moving to (discounting a bunch of money being thrown at him) is Pittsburgh, because his wife is from there.

Let's be honest, he only stayed in Buffalo on his last contract because Buffalo massively overpaid him. Easily double his market price, maybe more. I wouldn't be shocked if he came back, I don't think the Sabres will overshoot the market for him again (though, they did with Anderson, so who knows)

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Let's be honest, he only stayed in Buffalo on his last contract because Buffalo massively overpaid him. Easily double his market price, maybe more. I wouldn't be shocked if he came back, I don't think the Sabres will overshoot the market for him again (though, they did with Anderson, so who knows)

Buffalo overpay? They’re cheap, according to your posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad