Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This is the sort of "reclamation project" I wouldn't mind giving Granato a crack at. Even if the offense doesn't come, defensive impacts are extremely good. Could be useful this season as well as into the future

To be frank, we simply don't have the roster space for a project player on F currently. On D or in G, we could make it work. Who are you going to bench to give him ice time? The only real fit I could see is like Mittelstadt for Puljujarvi, where it's two players who need a change of scenery. The cap works and the buyout on Mittelstadt for Edmonton is minimal if he bombs there.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
To be frank, we simply don't have the roster space for a project player on F currently. On D or in G, we could make it work. Who are you going to bench to give him ice time? The only real fit I could see is like Mittelstadt for Puljujarvi, where it's two players who need a change of scenery. The cap works and the buyout on Mittelstadt for Edmonton is minimal if he bombs there.
It wouldn't take Mitts to acquire Puljujärvi. Oilers fans on the trade board are asking more in the neighborhood of a bag of pucks, although that may be hyperbole, of course.

Reactions: Matt Ress

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Everyone still trying to give away Mitts. SMH

1675432678019.png

Why would the fans do that?

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I mean I'm not against moving him in the right deal but something centered around Greenway or Pool Party is a downgrade that we shouldn't be doing at the deadline unless there's already another move in place to upgrade the spot. And that's nothing against those players, I'd be happy with either.

Greenway isn't really a downgrade. Slightly less offensively, but can bring a physical dimension and win in the corners, something Mittelstadt doesn't do much of.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Everyone still trying to give away Mitts. SMH
I have been on an off Mitts since he has been here. Had high hopes for him this year. The one thing that finally got determined this year is that any future he has is likely at wing and not center. The question is, what is he?

Career /82 games 13 goals 23 assists 36 pts -20 +/-
Current/82 games 12 goals 35 assists 47 pts -21 +/-
18/19 /82 games 13 goals 14 assists 27 pts -20 +/-

So in his 5th year in the NHL, his goal production has not improved. His assist numbers are up, partly due to his increased PP time. It is concerning that his 5v5 +/- has not improved at all and has been a steady -20 per year. Thats worse when considering the team +/- has improved greatly.

Technically his point production is average middle six, but third line in goal production. He is below average defensively. His 2.5 AAV for next year is affordable for his production, and he has one year of RFA after that. So he has serviceable value for now. If he has any upside left it is as a winger. In his current form he represents a roster spot that we should be looking to improve apon, but not exactly top of the list. With two more years of control you still have some development time, but that same time represents his trade value. If we got someone like Meier, I would be tempted to push him up to the second line with Meier/Cozens and see if he can find a fit there.

His floor is lower than we expected, and his ceiling keeps coming down to it. Most importantly to me, in his current state he does not slot into my team as a future core player. So he is on my trade list.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
One thing this organization can't do, despite the pivot to support/optimism/confidence-building that I like, is assume every player is the next 1 in a 100 shot to superstardom in development that Thompson has become.

So Mittelstadt...I think there is more to him, but I think his peak won't surpass what we have coming from 2020-2022 high picks.

Greenway is someone who himself has ability Granato may tap into. He'll go to the net and create space, which is one way I can see really unlocking Krebs.

He's a PP2 F1 option. He'll answer the bell for teammates, which we lack right now.

Mittelstadt for Greenway is a good, fair change of scenery trade for both teams, and we should do it.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I have been on an off Mitts since he has been here. Had high hopes for him this year. The one thing that finally got determined this year is that any future he has is likely at wing and not center. The question is, what is he?

Career /82 games 13 goals 23 assists 36 pts -20 +/-
Current/82 games 12 goals 35 assists 47 pts -21 +/-
18/19 /82 games 13 goals 14 assists 27 pts -20 +/-

So in his 5th year in the NHL, his goal production has not improved. His assist numbers are up, partly due to his increased PP time. It is concerning that his 5v5 +/- has not improved at all and has been a steady -20 per year. Thats worse when considering the team +/- has improved greatly.

Technically his point production is average middle six, but third line in goal production. He is below average defensively. His 2.5 AAV for next year is affordable for his production, and he has one year of RFA after that. So he has serviceable value for now. If he has any upside left it is as a winger. In his current form he represents a roster spot that we should be looking to improve apon, but not exactly top of the list. With two more years of control you still have some development time, but that same time represents his trade value. If we got someone like Meier, I would be tempted to push him up to the second line with Meier/Cozens and see if he can find a fit there.

His floor is lower than we expected, and his ceiling keeps coming down to it. Most importantly to me, in his current state he does not slot into my team as a future core player. So he is on my trade list.

He, simply put, is a below average scoring forward. You can see the flashes of skill occasionally, but overall, he simply doesn't contribute that much. He disappears for long stretches. 40-ish points, especially on a high scoring team, isn't something that is a core piece going forward. And given the absolute slew of draft picks we've spent on forwards, he really shouldn't be here beyond the end of his contract. We have plenty of needs beyond scoring depth forwards, where we are organizationally extremely strong. So if we have a chance to add a physical winger, a PKing center, etc, he should be right near the top of the list of outgoing pieces. I think if we retained 50% on him, we might actually be able to get a decent return on a team looking for a change of scenery/depth guy.

Reactions: Bendium

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Greenway is a player this team could really use...

I love Mitts and feel the criticism he's receiver over the years seemed unfair at times but we have a roster full of players similar to Mitts and really lack physicality.

I feel Krebs is going to be the long term 3C and plays a similar style to Mitts.

Greenway is 25, signed for another 2 years at 3mil AAV and has a history with Donny and Tage.

A move like this does make sense for both teams... Only thing I question will Adams make this move? Or will he not want to disturb the vibes in the locker room?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I am not sure if Chry would wave his NMTC to play here.
He can be a top defender on most teams and get paid after his contract is up.
In Buf he would be stuck behind Dahlin and Power ( prob no PP time) which sig. would decrease his next payday

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Greenway is a player this team could really use...

Um, a player of his size, yes. Him, no.

I love Mitts and feel the criticism he's receiver over the years seemed unfair at times but we have a roster full of players similar to Mitts and really lack physicality.

Also Yes, I completely agree that the criticism Mitts received was stupid. And yes, he's also not a bruiser.

I feel Krebs is going to be the long term 3C and plays a similar style to Mitts.

Mmmmm, maybe :dunno:

I agree that him and Mitts play a similar style. The problem on the surface with saying they play a similar role is that most see them as playmaking perimeter players. However, the underrated part of their game is how tenacious they are on the puck and their board play. I would personally want to keep both until someone else supplants them.

Greenway is 25, signed for another 2 years at 3mil AAV and has a history with Donny and Tage.

A move like this does make sense for both teams... Only thing I question will Adams make this move? Or will he not want to disturb the vibes in the locker room?

This is where you lost me, I don't think it makes sense. Mitts is one of the hardest working players on the team and is respected by his teammates. During interviews when a player talks about his teammates, Mitts is almost always mentioned shortly after KO as one of the key guys here.

Greenway on the other hand has a history of work ethic concerns, doesn't use his size consistently, and commitment issues. Just assuming Donny has some magic wand that can solve these things is a dangerous line of thinking. The culture in the room is not all on Donny, it has a lot to do with the guys Adams got rid of and brought in as well. Greenway would definitely go against that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am not sure if Chry would wave his NMTC to play here.
He can be a top defender on most teams and get paid after his contract is up.
In Buf he would be stuck behind Dahlin and Power ( prob no PP time) which sig. would decrease his next payday

His trade protection doesn't kick in until this summer.

Reactions: debaser66

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
hmm this trade needs a roster player for it to really feel like we are satisfying the other teams wants and needs; skinner, nah cant break up that line so theres 3 safe

how bout cozens? not a chance in hell, what about peterka or quinn? hell no theyre ceilings are sky high and certainly more valuable than 'roster player'

maybe KO, cant trade the captain plus who wants his old ass anyway, same with girgs

so that leaves mitts, Krebs, VO, and Jost, well with Power, quinn, peterka, dahlin, and cozens all needing new contracts and a crop of 1st round picks developing in the minors looks like this is the most likely place to find a roster player if anyone wants one in a trade

wonder why people keep putting mitts into trades?

I bet its probably because everyone hates him and doesn't understand, how only I truly do, his value to this organization, ya that's probably why people keep putting him in trades

no but seriously the last meeting of the committee to move on from mitts exactly 4 people thought he was trash and that the sabres needed to trade him and 137,000 thought he was a valuable roster player that other teams would want in a larger trade or as the center piece for a smaller trade of need and hes far more palatable than quinn or peterka and more valuable than jost, krebs, or girgensons, in fact the majority would rather move other players but you know what, by some shock they didnt think players worse than mitts would be wanted by anyone

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Greenway on the other hand has a history of work ethic concerns, doesn't use his size consistently, and commitment issues. Just assuming Donny has some magic wand that can solve these things is a dangerous line of thinking. The culture in the room is not all on Donny, it has a lot to do with the guys Adams got rid of and brought in as well. Greenway would definitely go against that.
Confirmed? That's unfortunate and changes the math if so...

Mitts is one of the hardest working players on the team and is respected by his teammates. During interviews when a player talks about his teammates, Mitts is almost always mentioned shortly after KO as one of the key guys here.
I defended Mittelstadt pretty much all last summer, strictly due to the locker room stuff, where it was apparent he was a young leader.

Eventually though, you'll need to do better than him in the spot he plays to be a contender. I don't see him overcoming our younger guys as an offensive threat, nor do I see him becoming a great defensive player. We can't hold on for leadership alone, when room's leadership should be fine with Dahlin, Tuch, Cozens, Krebs, Thompson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad