Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Good luck getting a 1st for a $5M goalie with a sub-.890 Save% this season.
Thats the thing, Vancouver doesn't need to trade him. He still has 3 more years on his contract.

Why sell low? He is young and they can wait. I am not advocating for Demko or Vancouver but I don't think Vancouver is in a hurry to trade him. Just stating the obvious.

EDIT: Just seeing that Pittsburgh is interested, when Demko is healthy Pittsburgh is a team never having an issue trading away their 1st.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Thats the thing, Vancouver doesn't need to trade him. He still has 3 more years on his contract.

Why sell low? He is young and they can wait. I am not advocating for Demko or Vancouver but I don't think Vancouver is in a hurry to trade him. Just stating the obvious.
I could see the Sabres maybe kicking the tires on Demko after the season if Comrie doesn't play better down the stretch.

But, I do not see the fit right now, regardless of what Vancouver might be asking for.

And if they want a 1st, I doubt there is any chance he moves.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

EDIT: Just seeing that Pittsburgh is interested, when Demko is healthy Pittsburgh is a team never having an issue trading away their 1st.
You obviously didn't attend the Tim Murray School for Tanking. Allvin did.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
You obviously didn't attend the Tim Murray School for Tanking. Allvin did.
I don't understand are you suggesting trading him away to tank? While others are suggesting he is awful so him playing would mean it would help to tank?

He wont get a 1st cause he is not good, but trading him away is tanking? So confusing.

Lehner got a 1st
Schneider got s 1st

Demko is better than both of them.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't understand are you suggesting trading him away to tank? While others are suggesting he is awful so him playing would mean it would help to tank?

He wont get a 1st cause he is not good, but trading him away is tanking? So confusing.

Lehner got a 1st
Schneider got s 1st

Demko has a significant history of getting hot -- Tim Murray traded away anyone capable of hurting the tank down the stretch, and absolutely would be trying to unload Demko. That's why they want to trade him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Lehner got a 1st
Schneider got s 1st

Ummm, based on what exactly?

He has a sub-.890 Save% this season and a .909 Save% for his NHL career.

Cory Schneider was way more proven as a #1 goalie when he was traded to NJ than Demko is today.

And the Lehner trade comes with a huge asterisks in that Murray overvalued him because of their time together in Ottawa.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I doubt Demko is a locker room issue.

I just don't see the fit given how poorly he is playing this year, likely due to the injury and the team in front of him.

Vancouver and Calgary are both interesting teams to watch for as they both are over leveraged against the cap next summer and have to make a move. I wonder what Dustin Wolf from Calgary would cost. He's stuck behind Markstrom and Vladar and Markstrom has a full NMC. I'm interested in Demko as well, depending on the cost and the injury, though that is probably a summer move.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
a first is awful expensive for a goalie you're hoping is a stop gap, if levi for some reason isn't around I'd be more interested in moving a first but is UPL/Comrie that much different from UPL/Demko? because that 1st fills almost any hole we have, id rather spend the 1st on bottom 6 forward who penalty kills and is signed to a nice contract for 3-4 years than have another goalie with questionable play

dont buy mid tier goalies or mid tier centers with 1sts

Reactions: Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

This should be a big red flag.

Vancouver should not be moving Demko. The only reason I'd move him if I am Allvin is if their medical staff believes that he won't fully recover, and you try to get value out of him before he and that contract are an unmovable boat anchor.

He had his second hip surgery this past offseason, and that was after he was injured and refused evaluation and continued to play a few games through the injury, which is a huge risk to really cause serious, long-term damage.

For those pushing the idea of bringing in Demko, I would like to know if anyone has watched his play this season.

To say he has been bad is an understatement. He's letting in shots from outside that he is seeing clearly and is just not able to move quick enough to save.

I watched a few Demko games earlier in the season and the soft goals that he was regularly giving up were shocking.

At this stage, I personally would not risk bringing in that contract for free without some evidence that he will fully recover.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This should be a big red flag.

Vancouver should not be moving Demko. The only reason I'd move him if I am Allvin is if their medical staff believes that he won't fully recover, and you try to get value out of him before he and that contract are an unmovable boat anchor.

He had his second hip surgery this past offseason, and that was after he was injured and refused evaluation and continued to play a few games through the injury, which is a huge risk to really cause serious, long-term damage.

For those pushing the idea of bringing in Demko, I would like to know if anyone has watched his play this season.

To say he has been bad is an understatement. He's letting in shots from outside that he is seeing clearly and is just not able to move quick enough to save.

I watched a few Demko games earlier in the season and the soft goals that he was regularly giving up were shocking.

At this stage, I personally would not risk bringing in that contract for free without some evidence that he will fully recover.
Fortunately I don't think there are many it any at all banging the drum for Demko

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I doubt Demko is a locker room issue.

I just don't see the fit given how poorly he is playing this year, likely due to the injury and the team in front of him.
It’s been reported he doesn’t want to be there. If the locker room was good he probably wouldn’t have said that.

im not saying I want him. I’m just talking of thr possibility.

This is the sort of "reclamation project" I wouldn't mind giving Granato a crack at. Even if the offense doesn't come, defensive impacts are extremely good. Could be useful this season as well as into the future

And the ask is what?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
NHL Network suggesting Boone Jenner and Vladislav Gavrikov from Columbus for more "toughness". Don't hate either.

SmartSelect_20230201_193958_Photos.jpg

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
NHL Network suggesting Boone Jenner and Vladislav Gavrikov from Columbus for more "toughness". Don't hate either.

Gavrikov is likely going to fetch a 1st plus.....not interested in paying that price.

But if Boone Jenner is available and willing to waive to come here? There's your faceoff-winning, penalty-killing, hard-nosed 3rd line center. And he's got 3 more years at $3.75M AAV. Want to talk about the right piece in the right hole? That's him. Right there.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Fortunately I don't think there are many it any at all banging the drum for Demko
Yes, fortunately.

Demko has been injured for two months, and the Sabres goaltending has not been as big of an issue lately, but back when the sky was falling and posters wanted to launch Comrie into the sun, there was a bit of a narrative by a few suggesting a trade for Demko could solve the longterm problem, even though he was playing terrible.

Granted, that was when a faction on here were convinced UPL was not even a ECHL goalie..... funny to watch how quickly narratives can change on these boards :laugh:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Gavrikov is likely going to fetch a 1st plus.....not interested in paying that price.

But if Boone Jenner is available and willing to waive to come here? There's your faceoff-winning, penalty-killing, hard-nosed 3rd line center. And he's got 3 more years at $3.75M AAV. Want to talk about the right piece in the right hole? That's him. Right there.
Do you think Jenner would work with Olofsson. jost, or Mitts?

I feel like if Adams were to trade for Jenner, he's have to be committed to revamping that entire line to maximize chemistry and get full value for the acquisition price.

The bottom six on this team is a bit unorthodox. Finding really good fits may prove tougher than one might expect without changing a roster makeup philosophy, i am thinking.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Do you think Jenner would work with Olofsson. jost, or Mitts?

I feel like if Adams were to trade for Jenner, he's have to be committed to revamping that entire line to maximize chemistry and get full value for the acquisition price.

The bottom six on this team is a bit unorthodox. Finding really good fits may prove tougher than one might expect without changing a roster makeup philosophy, i am thinking.

I think Jenner would work well any of them, yes. Probably best with Mitts and Jost......though he would open up a lot of room for Olofsson to get his rocket off.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It’s been reported he doesn’t want to be there. If the locker room was good he probably wouldn’t have said that.

im not saying I want him. I’m just talking of thr possibility.
Skinner wanted to move closer to home prior to his trade out of Carolina.

And I wouldn't call him a locker room issue.

I doubt Demko is a Comrie-level locker room guy. But, he doesn't strike me as a Binner level guy that I could foresee his teammates hating.

The other thing that is interesting to me with the "Demko wants out" narrative is that he really enjoys working with Ian Clark. I wonder if that narrative is being pushed by the FO to lay the groundwork for a trade as opposed to Demko truly wanting a trade out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad