Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The problem with giving up that many futures is that giving up 4 top 64 picks and two forwards that appear to be high probability NHLers is that it could create a problem of not much coming up in 3 or 4 years.

They will need to have a steady flow of NHL capable players on ELCs in that window that the 23 and 24 picks would likely be NHL ready.

You could make those two deals and not see the negative impact for a while. But, I do think that day would come.

Plus, I think you are overpaying on both those by a significant margin. I would bet that they could get those two guys without do as much damage to the pipeline.
I thought about the assets involved, but with Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund, etc coming up, I think the Sabres could survive.

I over-estimate on all trades now, lest I incur the wrath of @Doug Prishpreed :laugh:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I thought about the assets involved, but with Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund, etc coming up, I think the Sabres could survive.

I over-estimate on all trades now, lest I incur the wrath of @Doug Prishpreed :laugh:
Sorry I'm such an ass :o

I'll just say, I very much appreciate thought insight on every single other hockey-related topic :laugh:

Totally concur with you here though.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Did Barkov get more votes than Dahlin cause he replaced the injured Matthews?
I thought the Sabres fans would outvote Florida easily, since their fanbase is quite smaller?

PS just a semantics, I am glad he isnt going, needs the rest
Obviously Barkov was outvoted. The perception that fans determined it was a fallacy.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
none of the above

God forbid we have 1 center who doesn't get lost in their own zone? or can win a faceoff? While still producing some offense. It's a skillset we don't have, in the NHL or the system.

Joki is much better than Savard

Savard has more points/60 with harder QoC and a higher D-zone deployment on a much worse team and worse partners.

Joker isn't good. Savard isn't great, but he's a clear upgrade over Joker

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
God forbid we have 1 center who doesn't get lost in their own zone? or can win a faceoff? While still producing some offense. It's a skillset we don't have, in the NHL or the system.

Savard has more points/60 with harder QoC and a higher D-zone deployment on a much worse team and worse partners.

wut? What weird timing to let this searing hot take out.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

For the record, my issue with your trade proposals are only that they usually don't seem like trades the other team would accept -- they never seem painful enough!

The Fabbro idea seemed realistic, and your proposal here pretty much nails the value perfectly though.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
This last bit isn't necessarily true. My preference would be Olofsson out (probably in a separate deal, admittedly) and Quinn shifting to play on the Jost-Mittelstadt line.
If it's a deadline deal, you don't mess with this years chemistry. Right now, that MIttlestadt line is providing very effective secondary scoring and probably their best defensive line (yes, I said it).

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Ekholm is this board's 2023 version of Anton Strålman. He's at the same age now that Strålman was when he left Tampa for Florida and at age 36 he's now in the AHL with Providence. Two seasons after signing him Florida was paying the Coyotes to take his contract.

He's a good player now and would help us short term but to give up any real assets for him - much less a first, a second, and two good prospects - is insane. He doesn't fit our window and he could drop off at any time.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Balance that against 40-goal scorer DeBrincat for a first (top 10), a 2nd (39th) and a third in 2024. Vegas seems to have overpaid for cracked merchandise.
True. Though a top 6 center is not the same as a top 6 scoring winger. So I am overvaluing and closer to Debincat may in fact be the floor of the return. That said, it is almost universally agreed that CHI didn't get enough. So three assets is more likely, at least one being a pick, but I think it may take a little more. Meier > Debrincat IMO.

Reactions: beerme1

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Meier doesn't necessarily have to have a traditional setup man. He's pretty good at entries on his own and also off the forecheck putting pucks on net that he wins. Him with someone like Cozens though would be a mass of humanity given Meier is a fireplug at 220 lbs. and Cozens is 6'3".

I'd also add that traditional complimentary player archetypes aren't always the best matches, on ice chemistry is unpredictable like that. On paper, there's no good reason that Skinner-Tage-Tuch should work as well as they do. But here we are, they're awesome together.

Two more famous examples I can think of are 1) that 70's line from the good LAK teams, constructed of 3 north/south shoot first players, and 2) Panarin & Kane - a couple of puck dominant perimeter players that are most effective with the puck on their stick.

So for all we know Cozens & Meier might not need a playmaking wing, for all we know someone like Quinn might be the perfect 3rd wheel. It would definitely be fun to find out though.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I love fantisizing and yapping about this trade shit but it dawned on me that if SJ was trying to maximize the return for Meier, of course they would leak that Adams call considering he is probably one of the only GMs in the league with deep pockets when it comes to assets, and the cap space to shrug off the big contract extension. Could just be gamesmanship from Grier.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I love fantisizing and yapping about this trade shit but it dawned on me that if SJ was trying to maximize the return for Meier, of course they would leak that Adams call considering he is probably one of the only GMs in the league with deep pockets when it comes to assets, and the cap space to shrug off the big contract extension. Could just be gamesmanship from Grier.
It wouldn't be the first time someone used Buffalo for leverage.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
In reply to old kummelweck, you could almost plug anyone in on that other wing - Quinn, Peterka, Mittlestadt, Kulich, Savoie, Rosen, Krebs, Kisakov, Rousek...

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It's a strange feeling having a GM you can trust. I don't feel the need to pour over, and worry about every decision, draft pick, and trade. If he trades for someone, I'll assume he did his due diligence and support it. If he doesn't trade for anyone, I'll assume he did his due diligence and support it.

Back before the rebuild, I didn't worry about stuff like that. I want to go back to that!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Those guys that are already drafted will hit the NHL sooner than '23 and '24 draftees would.

You are creating a future year issue when you will need quality guys on ELCs to offset the long term, big money deal that a bunch of the core guys will get.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Or the call was really just about getting the Grier piece for the Miller tribute video.

:sarcasm:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
All this Timo Meier talk has me hot and bothered. I would move Quinn, a protected 1st (top 10) and a prospect for him.

This is like the Blackhawks adding Hossa before their multiple cup runs.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I wouldn't be surprised if KA is playing along as a favor for an ex-Sabre.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Meier:
Rosen
2023 1st (top 4 protected)
Portillo
Flyers' 2023 2nd

Ekholm:
2024 1st (unprotected)
Vegas' 2023 2nd
Bloom
Rights to Johnson

Don't fixate on the trades or the targets, but these are trades Adams could offer and not touch the NHL roster.
That Meier package is pretty much the most I would be willing to pay. Pay a protected first and a 2nd to upgrade Rosen into a guaranteed top 6 player in his prime. Don’t think it’s worth trading any of our 22’ 1st rounders yet. They will be valuable 2-3 years from now when we are looking to inject cost controlled forwards into the group. They are the contingency plan to when Tuch, Skinner, Olofsson, and Mitts get older or price their way out.

The Ekholm package is a bit rich for me. Love the player, however in addition to Meier would be a lot of futures at once. I would rather explore a trade around Johnson and a B prospect/2nd for a lower valued defenseman that would improve the top 6.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The fallacy of measures is obvious here.
Ekholm is this board's 2023 version of Anton Strålman. He's at the same age now that Strålman was when he left Tampa for Florida and at age 36 he's now in the AHL with Providence. Two seasons after signing him Florida was paying the Coyotes to take his contract.

He's a good player now and would help us short term but to give up any real assets for him - much less a first, a second, and two good prospects - is insane. He doesn't fit our window and he could drop off at any time.
I agree. At his sge he am fall off a cliff at any moment. I’d be more open to him if he was 1+ left,not 3+ left.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Except Timo Meier has no red flags as a teammate or human being that stick out. Nor is he a bad influence on young teammates.

Ekholm is a steadying force for Dahlin and Power. Bogosian was and still is a dumb hockey player that got by with sheer physicality. Ekholm is who we hope Samuelsson becomes. A better comparison in terms of effect on the team would be Numminen, who was a steadying force for the Sabres.
Ekholm at his age can fall of w cliff. If he was 1+ I’d feel better but 3+…. At that sge…he’ll No.

the team needs to get some young D into their prospect pool, not trade away the picks to get 30+ ones.

Eire supposed value is being floated around Debrincat too 10+ high 2nd. Thst was an overpay.

i put him closer to Reinhart and Fiala.

thr issue I have is the contract length and the sge it goes to. I’d be fine with a 5 yr extension…not 7 ot 8.

as for his price..my offer would be Rosen/Ostlund+ flyers 2nd + some lower level prospect. that’s abouve ehat Reinhart/ Fiala got.Your offer exceeds what was given up for ROR who was 3 yrs younger.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

the Sabres are a nice, happy surprise.

Of all the Eastern Conference teams that everyone made a fuss about over the summer — Ottawa, Detroit, Columbus with Johnny Gaudreau coming in, the looming presence of John Tortorella in Philadelphia — the one team that’s met and exceeded expectations is Buffalo.

The Sabres didn’t attract nearly as much attention, because they employed this stay-the-course approach completely out of favor in the NHL nowadays. They saw the improvement that revolved around Tage Thompson up front and Rasmus Dahlin on the blue line, and so mostly counted on development taking its natural course. What a concept! And so, Thompson — who was good — is better. Alex Tuch — who was good — is better. Dahlin — who was good — is better.

They’re on a five-game win streak now, outclassed a very good Winnipeg Jets team on Thursday night, and moved to within two points of the Pittsburgh Penguins for the second wild-card berth in the Eastern Conference. So quite a ride and it will be interesting to see:

A) If they can sustain it.

B) If the GM, Kevyn Adams, gets tempted to wade into the trade market for reinforcements, to see if he can better his team.

Which is what the team they’ve leapfrogged in the Atlantic Division standings (the Panthers) did a year ago, to their own peril.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad