Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Ryan Johnson has not indicated in any fashion that he's leaving us, nor has any writer said they believe he's going to.

Portillo clearly feels that he's blocked by UPL and Levi.
Yes he pretty much has, he hasn't signed yet. The biggest tell of them all.

Reactions: pf8363

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Ryan Johnson has not indicated in any fashion that he's leaving us, nor has any writer said they believe he's going to.

if he feels blocked by a fellow prospect who hasn't signed yet either I rather have him not around here anyways. bad compete

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Yes he pretty much has, he hasn't signed yet. The biggest tell of them all.
That's not true at all, you're making up worst case scenarios in your head to justisfy your point which has no evidence behind it.

Maybe he doesn't sign with us, but at this moment in time he hasn't indicated in any way he is walking. He took a long time to make his choice to return which is a good sign for us. He also said he "has every intention of signing eventually" people will make up scenarios in their heads and disect his words to convince themselves he's leaving.

Weissbach just signed with us after his Senior year 2 year ago.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
That's not true at all you're making up worst case scenarios in your head to justisfy your point which has no evidence behind it. Weissbach just signed with us after his Senior year 2 year ago.
Ok I look forward to all the examples of college players staying 4 years to finish school and then signing with their drafted team.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Ok I look forward to all the examples of college players staying 4 years to finish school and then signing with their drafted team.
I just gave you one. In our organization right this moment.

Nick Perbix playing for Tampa this year. Blake McLaughlin with Anaheim. Jachym Kondelik & Spencer Stastney with Nashville. Noah Cates with Philadelphia.

Haven't even gone through the full list. And this is just this last year, more players stay with their teams after their senior year than signing with another organization actually, go ahead and look through: Pro signings by NCAA hockey players, 2022 offseason

Last edited:

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
A quick wishlist for faceoff strong centers:

Columbus - Boone Jenner. Probably unrealistic, signed long term, team captain.
Montreal - Dvorak. Signed for next 2 years at under 4.5M per. NTC kicks in next year.
San Jose - Nico Sturm. Signed 2 more seasons at 2M per
Anaheim - Henrique 5.85M with 1 year remaining. 10 team NTC.
Do you think Cozens could become that? He seems like a workhorse. If they told him by camp I want you to be our top FO center, I think he could do it.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I just gave you one. In our organization right this moment.

Nick Perbix playing for Tampa this year. Blake McLaughlin with Anaheim. Jachym Kondelik & Spencer Stastney with Nashville. Noah Cates with Philadelphia.

Haven't even gone through the full list. And this is just this last year, more players stay with their teams after their senior year than signing with another organization actually, go ahead and look through: Pro signings by NCAA hockey players, 2022 offseason
Who are those guys? I applaud you for giving me a list but I should have been more specific, more high profile guys.

Cal Peterson was a star at Notre Dame and was on hockey's radar. Adam Fox was killing it too.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Who are those guys? I applaud you for giving me a list but I should have been more specific, more high profile guys.

Cal Peterson was a star at Notre Dame and was on hockey's radar. Adam Fox was killing it too.
Ryan Johnson is hardly high profile, on his draft position alone? Maybe.

Maybe he leaves for the Ducks like people think cause of his dad. Or maybe the Ducks can their entire coaching staff. But there's no evidence to support that he's a guaranteed goner from us.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
The beauty of where the Sabres are at in terms of their youth and prospect pipeline is that the team could survive two major trades without really touching the core of the team. Using Meier and Ekholm as example.

Meier:
Rosen
2023 1st (top 4 protected)
Portillo
Flyers' 2023 2nd

Ekholm:
2024 1st (unprotected)
Vegas' 2023 2nd
Bloom
Rights to Johnson

Don't fixate on the trades or the targets, but these are trades Adams could offer and not touch the NHL roster.
I like the Meier deal, but flip Rosen with Östlund if you ask me. And I think a rostered forward (probably Mittelstadt?) needs to go the other way as well. Probably put Mitts in and take Portillo out of the deal. Or if he’s a sweetener for them, send him along since he’s not going to sign here anyways.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
would we be better off as a team if we got chychrun or if KA finds power a Saumelsson's like a Roy/Cernak/Fabbro/Borgen type player and use the extra assets to get some sandpaper in the forward group ? Wilson/Greenway/Crouse

In my opinion........I'd rather do the 2nd thing you suggest. The team needs seem to be in the bottom 6 and we could certainly use a little more sandpaper on D and in the bottom 6.

That said......if we're going to do it, I think it waits until the offseason.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This team has gotten itself into playoff contention as it's currently constructed. That's with, because of, or in spite of guys like Olofsson, UPL, Joker, Krebs, Mitts, Peterka, Quinn, Clague, Boosh, Comrie and anyone else who has exceeded expectations, gotten hot, cooled off, showed their inexperience, or taken the next step in their production. The sense of team and belief and trust in one another - not only among the players, but with the coaches and management has, in my opinion, played a huge part in the success they have had this year.

I really do not think that it is worth disrupting the team vibe at the trade deadline and risk what has been built to this point. I really hope they make the playoffs. That, in my opinion, would be a great way to cap off this period of the development of the team and the individual players who play as a team.

In my opinion, the time to tweak the lineup should be the offseason.
The never ending cycle of it isn’t time yet. Heard this same shit last offseason “year behind Detroit, don’t block youth, window not open yet” none of which was either accurate or were people suggesting to do in the first place.

now it’s “hey they’re pretty good…why try to improve or vibes”.

this off-season it will be “let’s see what another year of development does with this group and save cap space for the future even though that isnt how cap space works”

a never ending road to nothing

Reactions: BFLO and Bendium

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
The never ending cycle of it isn’t time yet. Heard this same shit last offseason “year behind Detroit, don’t block youth, window not open yet” none of which was either accurate or were people suggesting to do in the first place.

this off-season it will be “let’s see what another year of development does with this group and save cap space for the future even though that isnt how cap space works”

could you be any more negative?

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I like the Meier deal, but flip Rosen with Östlund if you ask me. And I think a rostered forward (probably Mittelstadt?) needs to go the other way as well. Probably put Mitts in and take Portillo out of the deal. Or if he’s a sweetener for them, send him along since he’s not going to sign here anyways.
No offense, but I think a good portion of this board hasn’t watched enough of Ostlund yet. He plays an incredibly creative, complete, and satisfying game. I have a hard time finding any flaws in his game, because he overcomes his size with his hockey IQ. I think he is going to be high end 3C in a few years with a ton more upside. Rosen is a fun player who also has a high ceiling but I just don’t think he is more valuable than Ostlund at the moment.

I might get caved in for this take but I think he’s up there with Cozens and Peterka as the most well rounded forward prospect drafted during the playoff drought. Well rounded as in high offensive upside and the makings for a complete 200ft game. Eichel had lots of elite traits but lacked motor, faceoffs, and defensive abilities.

I should add that Ostlund is my favorite prospect in awhile and I’m probably biased. I just wish he wasn’t thrown in all these proposals.

edit- I may have misread your post. We’re you saying flip Rosen with Ostlund because of what value the Sharks would want?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Aren't we on a five game winning streak, 3 for 3 on this road trip, 7 games over .500, 2 points out of a playoff spot, and leading the league in points per game? :dunno:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Would not mind bringing Sam back for next year then decide what we want to do with him following that. Fits a bit better than signing Meier for 9+ million would do too and Florida can't afford to take on a roster player so it could get done with picks.

I'd say Reinhart definitely didn't fit in the "wants to be a Buffalo Sabre" mold that Adams talks about when he started this rebuild. But then I'm remembering his call to Adams after he got traded from that draft look in. Could be interesting.
God please no.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Maybe in his house
That's not going to age well . Do you really not see that kids potential beyond petrerka (who I also wouldn't trade , nor would I trade mitts both on cheap deals that we don't know their ceilings ) or whomever seriously?
Donny and ka , certainly believe and his movement is more fluid than anyone as far as potential as well, (they) are never trading that kid for years .

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Apologizing in advance for a long post.

Thinking about Meier and the need for another good D (IMO), I wanted to play it out and see where we'd land if we actually did both. I used Chychrun as the D acquisition because he is available and the Sabres are reportedly interested.

Traded Krebs, Bryson, Savoie, Rosen, '23 1st, and '24 1st to acquire Meier and Chychrun.
Signed Meier for 9mil, signed Dahlin to 10mil, Power to 8.
Re-signed Mittelstadt to be 3c, but you could replace him with another UFA if you want. Same for Jost and Girgs. Replace them with other role players if you wish.
Also signed Levi and Ryan Johnson and a few other prospects.

Here's where I ended up in 24/25...

1674929255790.png

This is a strong lineup top to bottom. We should have no problems scoring and definitely be in the playoffs, maybe even a contender by this point. And we're under the projected cap.

As far as problems, maybe we could use a really good bottom 6 C who can take faceoffs and PK, has size and physicality.

We only have about 1 mil in cap space, so we're now up against it and will find it challenging to make more moves. We were not able to afford Oloffson even if we wanted him. I think you could argue that Dahlin will be more than 10mil too, so there's that.

The following year, the cap will likely go up a little higher, but we'll need to re-sign: Kulich, Quinn, Peterka, Joki, and Chychrun. The good news is that I worked it so Mittelstadt, Jost, Girgs, Asplund come off the books, so we get a little room. But that won't be enough to bring back all five of those key FA's unless the cap somehow goes way up.

Our prospect ranks were heavily depleted, but we still have Ostlund as a good C coming up, and several other F's with potential (Bloom, Poltapov, Kisakov, Kozak, Nadeau, etc.) Not much in the D pipeline and remember we haven't had first round picks in 23 or 24. We do however have our '25 1st which in this scenario would be the following year.

So, to summarize: the roster looks great and if all goes well, we are likely to be winning lots of hockey games and contending to win it all. We are not quite in cap hell yet, but heading there, and we've still got some prospects, but it's unlikely we'll be helping out the D core with young cheap players any time soon. We're also hoping that everything goes great with UPL and Levi in net. No guarantees there, so it's possible that is still a weak point.

So... with all that laid out, I am again back to not wanting to acquire Meier. I'd rather bring in a good D and leave ourselves a little wiggle room, knowing that we are already in a good place at F. I learned from this exercise that I was probably discounting the cap issues more than I should have.

Having seen this laid out, anybody willing to change their mind on Meier, one way or the other?

Last edited:
Reactions: Diaspora

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
Meier to me is an ideal target, young enough to fit into this teams age range and still a restricted free agent after the season

If you could get him for a strictly futures deal, I would even be fine over paying slightly

If he works out you can sign him long term but if he isn't working out can always trade him to recoup some of the futures traded for him

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

Ryan Johnson hasn't signed and is a free agent in August. So lets rephrase your post.

Ryan Johnson has not indicated in any fashion that he is signing with us nor has any writer said they believe he is going to.

As for your point, there are in fact articles suggesting Ryan Johnson will test free agency. Of course its just speculation and only Johnson knows what he is going to do.

Meier to me is an ideal target, young enough to fit into this teams age range and still a restricted free agent after the season

If you could get him for a strictly futures deal, I would even be fine over paying slightly

If he works out you can sign him long term but if he isn't working out can always trade him to recoup some of the futures traded for him
I like Meier and he can drive his own line/offense but he isn't what this team needs right now. We need a 4/5/6 defender depending on where you put Joker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad