Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

“Their #1 priority is winning” lol

Yet they ARE winning with their strategy of focusing on young players. At what point do you drop your narrative?

When everyone explained the reasons why we have a low cap hit that isn’t related to winning or the owner? Nope

When we started signing young players to lucrative contracts, directly contradicting your conspiracy our owner is setting an internal cap? Nope

When you are simply flat wrong about how this team would perform? Nope

When we continue to win…surely that would stop your “LOL they said winning was a priority” joke? Nope….somehow winning hasn’t stopped your narrative they aren’t trying to win

You have been wrong at every turn with this narrative. When are you going to stop with it? It has been explained a thousand times they want to see exactly what they have with our young players.

You’d have thought after you spent all off-season posting 10 times a day how bad we’d be because of our strategy you’d either switch your narrative or admit you’re wrong. Nope, you spend half your posts talking about good the team is (pretending you didn’t say otherwise), and the other half still with your hot takes (pretending the team’s approach isn’t the reason they’re good)

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Clague has been fine with both Power and Dahlin. Power and Dahlin have both looked really good with Clague

Why not keep Clague with Dahlin for Wednesday, have Sammy on the 3rd pair, and staple Bryson to the press box?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Some guys available at the deadline

Benning, Schenn, McCabe, Chychrun, Edmundson, Fabbro

Just to name a few that could bump Bryson or Clague to the 7th spot. This team has a chance at the playoffs and I hope Adams doesn't sit on his hands. Don't need to break the bank on Chychrum I would settle for Benning or McCabe.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yet they ARE winning with their strategy of focusing on young players. At what point do you drop your narrative?

When everyone explained the reasons why we have a low cap hit that isn’t related to winning or the owner? Nope

When we started signing young players to lucrative contracts, directly contradicting your conspiracy our owner is setting an internal cap? Nope

When you are simply flat wrong about how this team would perform? Nope

When we continue to win…surely that would stop your “LOL they said winning was a priority” joke? Nope….somehow winning hasn’t stopped your narrative they aren’t trying to win

You have been wrong at every turn with this narrative. When are you going to stop with it? It has been explained a thousand times they want to see exactly what they have with our young players.

You’d have thought after you spent all off-season posting 10 times a day how bad we’d be because of our strategy you’d either switch your narrative or admit you’re wrong. Nope, you spend half your posts talking about good the team is (pretending you didn’t say otherwise), and the other half still with your hot takes (pretending the team’s approach isn’t the reason they’re good)
We need a LHD (maybe worth waiting on Ryan Johnson).

I would like a better RHD than Lyubushkin, but that can't happen until maybe the summer.

After that it would be a bonus to acquire some top-rate FW, but the cost in assets and cap space over the next few years requires a lot of thought, balancing that against the potential of having impact players at minimal cap hits like Kulich, Savoie, Rosen.

Unless Johnson is walking away, nothing here screams "do something Darcy".

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
to the Portillo sit.
nobody forced him to go to college for another year
he could have signed and be ahead of Levi
if he is looking from a spot pos there was an easy opening last off season

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not sure we can make any assumptions about how he feels or felt. It's been a tizzy in a teacup seemingly since he was drafted and our crack reporting staff have never gotten nor given firm info on any of it.

He's said he intends to sign. I'll take him at his word.

Adsms talked to him at frozen 4 and he came to summer camp. You don’t have a player come if you doubt you can sign him.

i think the issue with him was…how important is college comp,edition/ degree to my family.

i will never questions players for that.
Clague has been fine with both Power and Dahlin. Power and Dahlin have both looked really good with Clague

Why not keep Clague with Dahlin for Wednesday, have Sammy on the 3rd pair, and staple Bryson to the press box?

I can see it if Sammy is not 100% and you want to limit him on minutes.
Some guys available at the deadline

Benning, Schenn, McCabe, Chychrun, Edmundson, Fabbro

Just to name a few that could bump Bryson or Clague to the 7th spot. This team has a chance at the playoffs and I hope Adams doesn't sit on his hands. Don't need to break the bank on Chychrum I would settle for Benning or McCabe.

i don’t see Fabbro being moved, nor chychrun. No on McCsbe. Schenn because of his low cap will get a bidding wat. Not giving up what the ask is.

buffalo has the cap space to get a higher salaried player for cheap
to the Portillo sit.
nobody forced him to go to college for another year
he could have signed and be ahead of Levi
if he is looking from a spot pos there was an easy opening last off season
it would be better is players could sign sliding contracts till they turn pro. Thry could sign a player to an ELC that kicks in after that ncaa season.

he seems values an education and degree. I understand that.

bufalo acquired Levi during the 2021 draft Portillo did not play much after yr 1 in michigan in his backup role.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Adsms talked to him at frozen 4 and he came to summer camp. You don’t have a player come if you doubt you can sign him.

i think the issue with him was…how important is college comp,edition/ degree to my family.

i will never questions players for that.

I can see it if Sammy is not 100% and you want to limit him on minutes.

i don’t see Fabbro being moved, nor chychrun. No on McCsbe. Schenn because of his low cap will get a bidding wat. Not giving up what the ask is.

buffalo has the cap space to get a higher salaried player for cheap

it would be better is players could sign sliding contracts till they turn pro. Thry could sign a player to an ELC that kicks in after that ncaa season.

he seems values an education and degree. I understand that.

bufalo acquired Levi during the 2021 draft Portillo did not play much after yr 1 in michigan in his backup role.
I haven't read the NCAA rule but I wonder if you could just sign a guy to NIL contract saying he's on his way and have it over extend his NCAA eligibility. Then you put his face on a couple ROC billboards or whatever and kinda lock him in.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Apologizing in advance for a long post.

Thinking about Meier and the need for another good D (IMO), I wanted to play it out and see where we'd land if we actually did both. I used Chychrun as the D acquisition because he is available and the Sabres are reportedly interested.

Traded Krebs, Bryson, Savoie, Rosen, '23 1st, and '24 1st to acquire Meier and Chychrun.
Signed Meier for 9mil, signed Dahlin to 10mil, Power to 8.
Re-signed Mittelstadt to be 3c, but you could replace him with another UFA if you want. Same for Jost and Girgs. Replace them with other role players if you wish.
Also signed Levi and Ryan Johnson and a few other prospects.

Here's where I ended up in 24/25...

View attachment 643066

This is a strong lineup top to bottom. We should have no problems scoring and definitely be in the playoffs, maybe even a contender by this point. And we're under the projected cap.

As far as problems, maybe we could use a really good bottom 6 C who can take faceoffs and PK, has size and physicality.

We only have about 1 mil in cap space, so we're now up against it and will find it challenging to make more moves. We were not able to afford Oloffson even if we wanted him. I think you could argue that Dahlin will be more than 10mil too, so there's that.

The following year, the cap will likely go up a little higher, but we'll need to re-sign: Kulich, Quinn, Peterka, Joki, and Chychrun. The good news is that I worked it so Mittelstadt, Jost, Girgs, Asplund come off the books, so we get a little room. But that won't be enough to bring back all five of those key FA's unless the cap somehow goes way up.

Our prospect ranks were heavily depleted, but we still have Ostlund as a good C coming up, and several other F's with potential (Bloom, Poltapov, Kisakov, Kozak, Nadeau, etc.) Not much in the D pipeline and remember we haven't had first round picks in 23 or 24. We do however have our '25 1st which in this scenario would be the following year.

So, to summarize: the roster looks great and if all goes well, we are likely to be winning lots of hockey games and contending to win it all. We are not quite in cap hell yet, but heading there, and we've still got some prospects, but it's unlikely we'll be helping out the D core with young cheap players any time soon. We're also hoping that everything goes great with UPL and Levi in net. No guarantees there, so it's possible that is still a weak point.

So... with all that laid out, I am again back to not wanting to acquire Meier. I'd rather bring in a good D and leave ourselves a little wiggle room, knowing that we are already in a good place at F. I learned from this exercise that I was probably discounting the cap issues more than I should have.

Having seen this laid out, anybody willing to change their mind on Meier, one way or the other?
its an all in gamble, there's minimal cap flexibility, and spends any currency you'd use to fix problems getting here, so if anything doesn't work out, you're screwed for 2-3 season

and the bolded, you probably lose almost all of them to the cap over the next season, and you traded all your depth getting there

I continue to change my mind on Chychrun because the asking price is way to high, and it sounds like every other gm knows its way to high and Arizona doesn't care, Chychrun is not actually available

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I haven't read the NCAA rule but I wonder if you could just sign a guy to NIL contract saying he's on his way and have it over extend his NCAA eligibility. Then you put his face on a couple ROC billboards or whatever and kinda lock him in.

this is a gray area with ncaa allowing players to get money. But thrn you run into ther competitive rules where a team from California coukd say I’ve lined you up with a few ad/ actor gigs so sign with us.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Any thoughts on adding a guy like Boeser?
Reasons I’m thinking of it…

1. Less assets to trade for than Meier. Especially considering you’re dealing with Vancouver, who is a tire fire organization who you may be able to get one over on.

2. Has 2 more years left on his desk after this year.

2. fits into the window before a lot of our core groups extensions come into play.

3. gives us enough time in that window with him to make a couple playoff runs.

4. more lineup depth so Quinn/Peterka aren’t forced into top-6 roles.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

1. Less assets to trade for than Meier. Especially considering you’re dealing with Vancouver, who is a tire fire organization who you may be able to get one over on.

2. fits into the window before a lot of our core groups extensions come into play.

Has a history of back problems, isn't exactly fast, has a passing familiarity with playing defense basically a higher priced Olofsson so I pass

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

Never been a fan of Boeser myself.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
We have Olofsson. Why get a more-injured, more-expensive, less-defensive version?
Exactly.

Everytime I watch a Canucks game, there is always a play where a Canucks player just flat out doesn't even make an attempt at defense, even though it looks clear they could break up a play or clear a puck with a little skating and effort - and then when I check the jersey number, sure enough, it's always #6.

Even if he were free to acquire, I think the sabres would be worse off with him in the lineup. Olofsson is playing so much better than Bowser right now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Exactly.

Everytime I watch a Canucks game, there is always a play where a Canucks player just flat out doesn't even make an attempt at defense, even though it looks clear they could break up a play or clear a puck with a little skating and effort - and then when I check the jersey number, sure enough, it's always #6.

Even if he were free to acquire, I think the sabres would be worse off with him in the lineup. Olofsson is playing so much better than Bowser right now.

It's either Boeser looking slow or Miller looking like he doesn't care.

Agreed on the acquisition side: Boeser is akin to a slower, less engaged Vic on a bigger contract. Not interesting and doesn't fill a need or even a want.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
An NIL deal would be an NHL salary cap violation.

Signing a player to a standard ELC causes the player to lose the remainder of their NCAA eligbility.

My thought: hard pass.

Vancouver is a mess in general and they do not have any guys that they want to move that I would want the Sabres to add.

I do not expect them to move EPete or Demko. So, I am not looking to Vancouver to address any issues the Sabres roster have today.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Couple forwards I think we could pluck and fit into our system pretty well.

1) Eric Robinson, CBJ: Speedy winger with good two way chops. IMO could fill several roles in the bottom 6. Late round pick could potentially bring him in

2) Nick Bjugstad, ARI: Vet on a cheap deal, comfortable with moving team to team. Would solely be to support center depth in case of injury, and we can evaluate at the end of the season to extend for cheap if needed.

3) Ivan Barbashev, STL: UFA at the end of the year, but a really strong middle six C. Maybe I'm channeling my inner Jame with how he wanted him at the draft, but he would be a VERY good add for a playoff push, with flexibility to sign at the end of the year. I'd assume he would cost quite a bit, maybe a second + prospect. But If we could bring him in and then get him on a 3-4 year deal at season end? There is a middle six winger locked down for the future.

Flame away

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Do you think Cozens could become that? He seems like a workhorse. If they told him by camp I want you to be our top FO center, I think he could do it.

He might be....but it isn't going to happen overnight. He's improved every year. That being said, you typically want TWO centers who are good at faceoffs, not just one. So if Cozens continues to improve...you still need to add a guy.

Reactions: michaelsaas

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
1675089722578.png

Top five reasons to jump on the Sabres bandwagon​

5. They’re fun — Let’s start here because there’s nothing worse than a boring bandwagon team. The Sabres are certainly not boring. They’ve spent the year near the top of the league in goals scored, but have trouble keeping pucks out of their own net. In a 3-2 league, the Sabres are a 4-3 team. And every now and then, a 9-4 team.

4. You don’t hate them — Every time I suggest a bandwagon destination, fans descend on me to swear that they hate that team. But the Sabres? There’s no way you hate them. You just don’t. Even their two surviving Adams Division rivals, Boston and Montreal, can’t still be holding a grudge against a team that never won anything. Leafs fans? Sure, they’re a great rival, but imagine how wild a playoff series would be. Senators fans? You’re over 2006 by now. Flyer fans? The Sabres/Flyers rivalry of the 90s was low-key one of the most brutal ever, but that was a long time ago. Canucks fans? OK, I can kind of see this one, only because the Sabres are your brothers in misery and it would be weird to see them move out and get their own place. But Canucks fans have bigger problems these days, so let them have some joy in their lives.

3. If you don’t cheer for Buffalo, Tage Thompson might eat you — I can’t actually prove this one, but he’s nine feet tall and he’s not getting his superpowers from protein shakes.

2. Their long-suffering fans deserve it — No fan base has gone through more misery in the last 15 years than Buffalo. They’re riding an NHL record streak of missing the playoffs, the rich owner who was supposed to be the savior has been decidedly up-and-down, they’ve seen great players bolt for bigger markets, and there’s rarely been any sense of real hope. And sure, there are some cases where prolonged misery can be its own kind of fun for outside fans. If you want to see the Oilers implode or the Leafs lose another Game Seven, go ahead. But Sabres fans have been through enough. They’re some of the best fans in sports. Let them have this.

1. This is probably your last chance — While it wouldn’t be the first time we all got suckered in by a Sabres win streak, this really does seem like a team that’s on the way to better days. They’re good now, but they could be really good in a year or two, and when that happens you’ll eventually get sick of them and their fans won’t want you on the bandwagon anyway. This is a short-term fling, and the time is now.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
An NIL deal would be an NHL salary cap violation.

Signing a player to a standard ELC causes the player to lose the remainder of their NCAA eligbility.

My thought: hard pass.

Vancouver is a mess in general and they do not have any guys that they want to move that I would want the Sabres to add.

I do not expect them to move EPete or Demko. So, I am not looking to Vancouver to address any issues the Sabres roster have today.
Makes sense thanks

Reactions: Jim Bob

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Meier to me is an ideal target, young enough to fit into this teams age range and still a restricted free agent after the season

Can we, just for a second, talk about this idea, that has been started by the front office, about players needing to be in the same age range.

That's absolutely not a thing.

If you want to address about aging curves and paying for players WHEN they are MOST productive, that's fine. But the idea that we can ONLY add players that are around the other age of the 'core' players is silly.

You don't want to give a 29 year old UFA forward a 7 year deal? That's fine, that's typically a good approach.

You don't want to trade for a 31 year old productive player with 1 year left on their deal who solves many needs for the team because they don't 'fit in the age range'? That's stupid.

This is a professional hockey team whose goals are wins. Get players who help the team win, regardless of age. Stop inventing handcuffs why we can't improve.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Can we, just for a second, talk about this idea, that has been started by the front office, about players needing to be in the same age range.

That's absolutely not a thing.

If you want to address about aging curves and paying for players WHEN they are MOST productive, that's fine. But the idea that we can ONLY add players that are around the other age of the 'core' players is silly.

You don't want to give a 29 year old UFA forward a 7 year deal? That's fine, that's typically a good approach.

You don't want to trade for a 31 year old productive player with 1 year left on their deal who solves many needs for the team because they don't 'fit in the age range'? That's stupid.

This is a professional hockey team whose goals are wins. Get players who help the team win, regardless of age. Stop inventing handcuffs why we can't improve.
Agreed for the most part but I'd keep my arsenal limited for anyone with that short team control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad