Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That said, I can't see NJ in hard on Horvat at all. They're set with Hughes and Hischier as their top 2 centers. I think they're far more likely to use their better assets on a bigger gun on wing. Meier, for example.

Roslovic, Peeke and a 2024 1st

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
That said, I can't see NJ in hard on Horvat at all. They're set with Hughes and Hischier as their top 2 centers. I think they're far more likely to use their better assets on a bigger gun on wing. Meier, for example.
NJ with Meier is scary to think about. They're certainly the young team that is a year or so ahead of us, but has solidified their defense and goaltending. Can Thompson and Cozens be as good as Hughes and Hischier? I think they probably can, and possibly be better.

If we want to compete with the big boys in the East, we need to make a few aggressive roster solidifying moves over the next year or two IMO.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
its fun to think about all of this big game hunting, but is their a rental out there who might not cost as much and could be a re-sign candidate?? Been thinkin about Barbashev a lot, think he'd look great with Cozens and is the kind of guy who can play up and down the lineup, Blues are a bit of a mess and may very well be big sellers.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
NJ with Meier is scary to think about. They're certainly the young team that is a year or so ahead of us, but has solidified their defense and goaltending. Can Thompson and Cozens be as good as Hughes and Hischier? I think they probably can, and possibly be better.

If we want to compete with the big boys in the East, we need to make a few aggressive roster solidifying moves over the next year or two IMO.
Are they a year ahead of us, really? 2 of their 3 best long-term D (Hughes, Nemec) aren't in the NHL yet, and we know how much longer D take to mature and develop than offense.

I think Hughes is the best of the 4 you mentioned, but I also think that Thompson and Cozens are 2 and 3 on that list....at worst Cozens and Hischier are on the same level.

But then I also take Dahlin and Power over any of their defensemen.......and the major, major difference is that Dahlin is nearly developed and Power already has 1 year of NHL experience.

The major differences I see between us and the Devils:

1.) They've figured out their TEAM defense far, far, far better than we have. Hischier is a borderline Selke candidate and a lot of their forwards are fully committed in both ends.
2.) Sure seems like they've got their goaltending figured out this year.
3.) That pesky 8-game losing streak we had. They're 11 points ahead of us currently. We win/get points in a few of those games that we really didn't deserve to lose, and we're not that far behind at all.

I can EASILY see them taking a step back next year if/when Nemec and Hughes take some time to develop and who knows if Vanecek plays to this level again.

I don't see the need to make "aggressive" moves. We DO need to figure out our 3rd pair LHD -- maybe it's Johnson, maybe it's not. We might need to revisit a parter for Power if Joker proves to still be enigmatic or if he finally settles in.

UPL looks to be the full-time goalie next year.

But it all comes down to -- when do the forwards consistently buy-in defensively. As soon as they do that, we're legit playoff contenders for a long, long time.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Good luck with that, Rutherford. Maybe you get 2 out of the 3. Maybe.

And CERTAINLY not from Buffalo.

its unrealistic To get all 3 unless these you players were drafted after pick 60.

i don’t think Horvat even works in NJ. They already have Hughes and Hisch signed long term.

do they have stuff to get him…yes.
Are they a year ahead of us, really? 2 of their 3 best long-term D (Hughes, Nemec) aren't in the NHL yet, and we know how much longer D take to mature and develop than offense.

I think Hughes is the best of the 4 you mentioned, but I also think that Thompson and Cozens are 2 and 3 on that list....at worst Cozens and Hischier are on the same level.

But then I also take Dahlin and Power over any of their defensemen.......and the major, major difference is that Dahlin is nearly developed and Power already has 1 year of NHL experience.

The major differences I see between us and the Devils:

1.) They've figured out their TEAM defense far, far, far better than we have. Hischier is a borderline Selke candidate and a lot of their forwards are fully committed in both ends.
2.) Sure seems like they've got their goaltending figured out this year.
3.) That pesky 8-game losing streak we had. They're 11 points ahead of us currently. We win/get points in a few of those games that we really didn't deserve to lose, and we're not that far behind at all.

I can EASILY see them taking a step back next year if/when Nemec and Hughes take some time to develop and who knows if Vanecek plays to this level again.

I don't see the need to make "aggressive" moves. We DO need to figure out our 3rd pair LHD -- maybe it's Johnson, maybe it's not. We might need to revisit a parter for Power if Joker proves to still be enigmatic or if he finally settles in.

UPL looks to be the full-time goalie next year.

But it all comes down to -- when do the forwards consistently buy-in defensively. As soon as they do that, we're legit playoff contenders for a long, long time.

the issue in NJ is their D and G. They have the young core in D but they are a few years away. On F they have a bunch of RFAs to resign.

for buffalo….

the unknown is if Johnson signs. If he does then he’s a 3LD in 24/25.
innthe drsft they use their 1st on a RD and he could be ready in 24/35 or be 25/26 for certain.

then you have Jokiharju who is an RFA in 2024 / UFA in 2025– you could trade him+ for a better RD or you acquire a better that fits the age group.

I see them making a move using mitts, Bryson, Olofsson, and Joker.

i don’t want to trade Quinn for a player 7 yrs older due big money.

i rather evaluate these young players and look fir some redundancy and trade from that.

Wonder if Seattle would dangle Wright ?
for a UFA— it will never happen for a UFA In Horvat. You offer him to Toronto for Matthews.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Cozens could end up better than Hirscher, who is currently ahead imo. Similarly there's no way Hamilton isn't better than Power this season so far.

NJD are hella scary, they're already a top 5 team, and two of their most vaunted prospects haven't even joined yet. Their depth is quite consistent, almost the entire team is +xG% 5/5. They're 25 xG better than BUF.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Where does NJ being a year ahead put Detroit…who I was told was also a year ahead which is why we shouldn’t add to the roster even though we finished ahead of them last year and will again this year? Math doesn’t work. Are we still another year away from being allowed to make moves next year too?

Reactions: BFLO

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Which player or pick is most likely to be traded at the deadline?

Buffalo Sabres

Erik Portillo: When push comes to shove, I’m not sure if Kevyn Adams will be ready to swing a big deal that requires giving up a first-round pick or high-end prospect at the deadline. It’s more likely a prospect like he’d trade goalie Erik Portillo, who has indicated he won’t sign in Buffalo once leaving college. The team could part with him to add depth on the blue line while allowing the young core to continue to grow together. A mid-round pick could be another way of achieving this. — Matthew Fairburn

Florida Panthers

Sam Reinhart: Flip a coin between Reinhart and Sam Bennett. Reinhart (signed through next season at $6.5 million AAV) is the better player, and he’s signed for less term than Bennett. He’d net a better return, so he’s the pick. Florida’s draft cupboard is bare enough — and their cap situation messy enough — to make a move like that worth it, but it has to be noted that there’s no incentive for them to lose more games. Montreal holds their first-round pick. — Sean Gentille

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob582

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Would not mind bringing Sam back for next year then decide what we want to do with him following that. Fits a bit better than signing Meier for 9+ million would do too and Florida can't afford to take on a roster player so it could get done with picks.

I'd say Reinhart definitely didn't fit in the "wants to be a Buffalo Sabre" mold that Adams talks about when he started this rebuild. But then I'm remembering his call to Adams after he got traded from that draft look in. Could be interesting.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Would not mind bringing Sam back for next year then decide what we want to do with him following that. Fits a bit better than signing Meier for 9+ million would do too and Florida can't afford to take on a roster player so it could get done with picks.

I'd say Reinhart definitely didn't fit in the "wants to be a Buffalo Sabre" mold that Adams talks about when he started this rebuild. But then I'm remembering his call to Adams after he got traded from that draft look in. Could be interesting.
I like bringing Reinhart back simply because he plays net front and is a really good passer, particularly from the below the goal line, which would both be really good for our PP. He's a good complement to what we already have.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Pierre Lebrun saying the ask on Horvat is a 1st, yound D, and Young C

1st, Lyckasen, Sjodin.

1674919680097.gif

Reactions: elchud and Zman5778

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Agreed. Reinhart on paper would be good, but I don’t think he wants to be part of the Sabres. He also doesn’t have the speed game they usually bring.

Meier would be a fantastic addition, I just don’t want to pay retail on acquiring him, and then full freight on a long contract (which would expire at 35)

Reactions: The Red Helmet

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
would we be better off as a team if we got chychrun or if KA finds power a Saumelsson's like a Roy/Cernak/Fabbro/Borgen type player and use the extra assets to get some sandpaper in the forward group ? Wilson/Greenway/Crouse

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
This team has gotten itself into playoff contention as it's currently constructed. That's with, because of, or in spite of guys like Olofsson, UPL, Joker, Krebs, Mitts, Peterka, Quinn, Clague, Boosh, Comrie and anyone else who has exceeded expectations, gotten hot, cooled off, showed their inexperience, or taken the next step in their production. The sense of team and belief and trust in one another - not only among the players, but with the coaches and management has, in my opinion, played a huge part in the success they have had this year.

I really do not think that it is worth disrupting the team vibe at the trade deadline and risk what has been built to this point. I really hope they make the playoffs. That, in my opinion, would be a great way to cap off this period of the development of the team and the individual players who play as a team.

In my opinion, the time to tweak the lineup should be the offseason.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
would we be better off as a team if we got chychrun or if KA finds power a Saumelsson's like a Roy/Cernak/Fabbro/Borgen type player and use the extra assets to get some sandpaper in the forward group ? Wilson/Greenway/Crouse
I think this is right. Don't need a splash mid season. The off-season is the time for splashes. I think we should all be prepared for Kev to do little. Maybe nothing. He'll be bargain shopping if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad