Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
You literally said "it sets us up to overpay for the production" and "That will hurt us in the long term". That suggests you are not OK with it. If you are OK with it, then fine - but you should be able to understand why people are confused based on your statements.
Well at least this part is true, though it is still out of context. After the first person tried to twist what I said I made a post to clarify it. Try reading that, and you might understand why I am frustrated by the original discussion being twisted into a whole other thing and being perpetuated as the narrative.

• Um what is your alternative?
Go back to my original post. I was responding to:

Oh said:
At some point GMs are going to have to make an adjustment and factor in the game is changing.. Point per game doesn't seem to mean the same thing as it once used to. Contracts are going to have to reflect that being that the cap hasn't been going up and I don't think will go up enough in future.

I agreed and responded"

"I definitely think advanced stats need to come more into play than pure traditional stats. On a team like the Sabres where they are playing a high danger aggressive offensive style, players are going to generate more points than on a team with a more conservative defensive approach. Players need to be paid according to how much they contribute to winning."

I then used Cozens as an example of a player who if you just used points, then his value would be inflated being on a team like the Sabres vs a defensive team. If you use his contribution to winning he might be worth even more! And that is fine if all players were evaluated that way.

Attachments

• 1674664990708.gif
    1674664990708.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 0

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not all four lines on any team are going to be going at the same time. The fact the Sabres have four lines that have been hot at certain times during the season really bodes well for us. When was the last time we had a team with four lines capable of getting hot?

Co-caps era was the last time they had scoring depth where on a given night someone was shouldering the load and winning their matchup enough to boost them to wins. It's fun, that's for sure.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
That could've easily paralyzed him... Thought the league took the players safety seriously...
The Linesman was standing right there. Linesmen can technically call penalties by letting the ref know of an infraction. Not to mention remember the video reply the refs used to call a high stick on the sabres about 10 games back?

Someone is going to get paralyzed or killed. I bet the NHL doesn't even review the play.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Co-caps era was the last time they had scoring depth where on a given night someone was shouldering the load and winning their matchup enough to boost them to wins. It's fun, that's for sure.
It felt like 3 we three legit "second" lines back then. The way we're going now, I want to shoot for a legit 1st line and then two, maybe even three 2nd lines.

Kind of a weird way to look at it, but I remember always saying "it's like we have three 2nd lines!"

Reactions: Chainshot

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
The Cozen's line was our best (or second best line) for a short time while the Jost line was giving away leads.

Now the Cozens line is the weakest line.
Cozens has been fine, but Quinn and Peterka have been clearly overmatched by the pace, physicality, and schedule of the NHL, and have been struggling since early December. They certainly were struggling when Fitz and Hino were waived and could have been sent down instead.

I think both would have benefited by going back to the AHL for some time where they would have played as much minutes because they would get more icetime per game, but would also have more practice time to work on skills. Then when they make some progress you bring them back up so they can try to apply it to the bigger game. There is nothing wrong with sending 20 year old rookies back to the farm for development and confidence stints.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Imagine Cozens had actual top 6 linemates? He is carrying that line by himself.
Unfortunately, Thompson and Skinner don't work so well without Tuch, because I would love to see Tuch on Cozens wing.

XXX(Meier) - Cozens - Tuch

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I would be cool with adding Meier and possibly another top 9 forward (if cheap).

Krebs and Quinn can go to the AHL and return to the lineup when injuries hit. They are good depth but both have things to work on. I'd be fine with simply cutting down the amount of NHL games for Krebs, Quinn and Peterka. They always perform way better rested.

I would also be ok with sending Comrie to Rochester to keep all of them in rotation.

If we don't add some solid guys for a playoff push we'll likely fall apart in 4-6 weeks. Bush and Bryson improving while the outlook for Johnson is becoming more optimistic makes a top 4d less critical, even though I want one before next season.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
There's been discussion on a DeBrincat deal comp for Meier (no idea if it's real or speculation)

Our 1st-2023 (let's say top 2 protected) and our highest 2nd-2023 does appeal to me, because we subtract nothing from the org that has a name, for a very strong top 6 forward.

No idea if SJS goes for this, hangs up, or otherwise.

Reactions: 1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
There's been discussion on a DeBrincat deal comp for Meier (no idea if it's real or speculation)

Our 1st-2023 (let's say top 2 protected) and our highest 2nd-2023 does appeal to me, because we subtract nothing from the org that has a name, for a very strong top 6 forward.

No idea if SJS goes for this, hangs up, or otherwise.
New Jersey tops that easily.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
No thanks.

I'll talk picks for Meier, but not anyone who's currently on this roster.
IF they were to acquire Meier I think a roster player would need to be moved, solely due to the logjam at forward. They already waived Hino, so who else gets waived or sent to the pressbox? Obviously rolling with 2 goalies instead of 3 would help but someone would still sit if he were added to the active roster.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I would be cool with adding Meier and possibly another top 9 forward (if cheap).

Krebs and Quinn can go to the AHL and return to the lineup when injuries hit. They are good depth but both have things to work on. I'd be fine with simply cutting down the amount of NHL games for Krebs, Quinn and Peterka. They always perform way better rested.

I would also be ok with sending Comrie to Rochester to keep all of them in rotation.

If we don't add some solid guys for a playoff push we'll likely fall apart in 4-6 weeks. Bush and Bryson improving while the outlook for Johnson is becoming more optimistic makes a top 4d less critical, even though I want one before next season.
Would Comrie not have to pass through waivers? Wasn't this the issue when he came back from injury? If we lose him we are one injury to UPL away from having Malcolm Subban in net.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Maybe Holtz, Foote, and/or picks being the stuff maybe in play for Meier. It wouldn't surprise me if Buffalo is used as a lever by Grier to push for more from whoever does finally go in on paying to have Meier's services.
I would be really surprised if Adams traded for Meier given everything he has said to this point and the number of offensive winger prospects they have coming.

If he does spend significant trade assets, I would guess that it is for a defenseman like Chychrun or Ekholm as opposed to a winger like Meier.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would be really surprised if Adams traded for Meier given everything he has said to this point and the number of offensive winger prospects they have coming.

If he does spend significant trade assets, I would guess that it is for a defenseman like Chychrun or Ekholm as opposed to a winger like Meier.

To the point you quoted - Lebrun reporting on Meier this week (and Chychrun earlier) that Buffalo has called is a lever to try to get more out of a team that is actively in pursuit. Whether he does or doesn't, they have the resources to make a quality bid and teams might be pushed by the possibility of that to force someone to put more into their offer.

Or he does actually use some of those offensive winger prospects to move the needle to an established scoring forward for his second line or to improve the depth of his defense. At some point, some of that passel of wingers is going to be their biggest source of trade resources. When that happens, not sure.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I actually really like Krebs speed with Girgs and Okoposo. He's fit in well with them.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To the point you quoted - Lebrun reporting on Meier this week (and Chychrun earlier) that Buffalo has called is a lever to try to get more out of a team that is actively in pursuit. Whether he does or doesn't, they have the resources to make a quality bid and teams might be pushed by the possibility of that to force someone to put more into their offer.

Or he does actually use some of those offensive winger prospects to move the needle to an established scoring forward for his second line or to improve the depth of his defense. At some point, some of that passel of wingers is going to be their biggest source of trade resources. When that happens, not sure.
I am not expecting a big move this year for a Meier or Chychrun or Ekholm type player.

Adams has been patient to this point and it is working to the extent that they are in the playoff hunt and playing well.

I can understand fans wanting him to buy. I can also understand if he chooses to be patient.

Like one of the Bills post mortem podcasts I listened to today said, "When someone tells you who they are, believe them."

Kevyn Adams has told us he's patient on multiple occasions. I tend to believe him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad