Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
If you're not noticing anything positive, then there's some sort of bias seeping in or you're not watching him play at all.

He's been consistently getting the puck out of the zone, oftentimes with relative ease. He's been making correct decisions when to pinch offensively without hesitation at all.

He and Boosh have formed a rock solid 3rd pairing over the last week or so.

Again -- I'm not saying he can't be replaced or improved upon as long as the price is reasonable.....but his play over the last week has really accentuated how deficient our forwards are at playing defense in our own zone. And if there's going to be marked defensive improvement, it'll come from the forwards committing to playing D properly in our own zone.
That's fair. Saying nothing positive is a bit of a stretch ill give you that. TBH I think Bryson is probably the best skater on the team but doesn't want to take initiative and hesitant at times to drive play with the puck but I am focusing on the defensive side of his game.. He gets bumped off the puck way to easy and gets himself out of position pretty often.. I know +/- is not the best stat to look at but look at the whole d core we have right now..

Dahlin 19
Samuelsson 11
Power 18
Joki 2
Boosh 2
Bryson -16

That sticks out.. Maybe he is having a good week but I am not seeing enough to where he should be in the lineup every game.. I don't think its outlandish to say him and Clague should be rotating.

Reactions: toddkaz

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
That's fair. Saying nothing positive is a bit of a stretch ill give you that. TBH I think Bryson is probably the best skater on the team but doesn't want to take initiative and hesitant at times to drive play with the puck but I am focusing on the defensive side of his game.. He gets bumped off the puck way to easy and gets himself out of position pretty often.. I know +/- is not the best stat to look at but look at the whole d core we have right now..

Dahlin 19
Samuelsson 11
Power 18
Joki 2
Boosh 2
Bryson -16

That sticks out.. Maybe he is having a good week but I am not seeing enough to where he should be in the lineup every game.. I don't think its outlandish to say him and Clague should be rotating.
Bryson was terrible last night too.

I hope Adams has a plan that doesn't include Bryson next year.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I rather win games and get the most out of players. Managing players points due contracts is something you do when you re looking for Bedard. Its a cancerous strategy something straight out of Kruegers mind.
This here. Where do you get this. I have never said this. Nothing in my post you quoted says this. Its getting obnoxious. You are taking a global concept and applying it to a single player. Its like the difference between Micro and Macro economics. I made a macro argument in a discussion about how GM's determine contract prices, and you and others keep incorrectly applying it to applying it to a micro discussion and claiming I said something I did not.

You want my micro viewpoint? I believe players should be given the roles and ice time they earn. So if you want to use Dylan Cozens as the example, then I will say that if he is the second best center we have then he should get second line minutes. If he shows that he is the best option for one of the 1PP positions then he should play that. If he shows that he is one of the best penalty killers then he should play that.

I NEVER once said that I thought any players playtime and role should be restricted or diminished in order to control their contract.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I haven't noticed anything positive about Bryson's game since maybe the first week of the season. He's just a guy. Clague can at least actually win battles along the boards. I dont get why Donny plays him this consistently.
For a bottom pairing defenseman, "not noticing anything" and "just a guy" are huge compliments. That's basically what you want for that role/salary.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
For a bottom pairing defenseman, "not noticing anything" and "just a guy" are huge compliments. That's basically what you want for that role/salary.
Bryson/Boosh are slowly winning back Granato's confidence in them. I found it interesting that Boosh was out there late with Dahlin on the shift leading to Cozens' empty netter. Bryson gets a lot a shit around here, not all of it undeserved, but he's been a hell of a lot better the past month.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
This here. Where do you get this. I have never said this. Nothing in my post you quoted says this. Its getting obnoxious. You are taking a global concept and applying it to a single player. Its like the difference between Micro and Macro economics. I made a macro argument in a discussion about how GM's determine contract prices, and you and others keep incorrectly applying it to applying it to a micro discussion and claiming I said something I did not.

You want my micro viewpoint? I believe players should be given the roles and ice time they earn. So if you want to use Dylan Cozens as the example, then I will say that if he is the second best center we have then he should get second line minutes. If he shows that he is the best option for one of the 1PP positions then he should play that. If he shows that he is one of the best penalty killers then he should play that.

I NEVER once said that I thought any players playtime and role should be restricted or diminished in order to control their contract.

I am saying that Granato's offensive push at the expense of defense will generate more points per game for a player, than the same player would have on a defensive minded team. Since point production is a major part of contract pricing, it sets us up to overpay for the production. That will hurt us in the long term.

You literally said "it sets us up to overpay for the production" and "That will hurt us in the long term". That suggests you are not OK with it. If you are OK with it, then fine - but you should be able to understand why people are confused based on your statements.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Not when he's a -16 tho..
Most of that -16 occurred during Buffalo's 8 game losing streak, including a stretch of -9 in 4 games where he was averaging about 20 minutes a game and asked to do work far beyond his pay grade and skill level due to injuries. When he's slotted in the bottom pairing getting his 13 minutes a night and easier assignments, he's more than adequate, especially lately as he and Boosh rekindle some early season chemistry. The bottom pairing could be better, of course, but it's not nearly the dumpster fire it's made out to be.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Peterka can sit too.
Amazing how quickly things change. Just a couple weeks ago, suggesting that Quinn or Peterka be sat or maybe even sent to Rochester to work on development and play bigger minutes, would have gotten the poster strung up from the rafters.

Reactions: Beerz

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Not when he's a -16 tho..
The conversation is about his recent play and his plus minus is basically even for the past 18 games, since 12/9.

Amazing how quickly things change. Just a couple weeks ago, suggesting that Quinn or Peterka be sat or maybe even sent to Rochester to work on development and play bigger minutes, would have gotten the poster strung up from the rafters.
Not really -- I don't agree with this.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think Bryson looks better lately, and overall serviceable but only in the lense of a mid-season stretch of the team playing better, after an early season stretch of Bryson individually playing poorly. Yes much of that was due to being required to play a role over his head. I don't really care. The lense should be focused on whether a player can be a solid contributor in a playoff series, and not be a major liability if playing up due to injury.

Bryson isn't that guy, and I think Lyubushkin is on the edge of that definition. If Johnson walks then KA needs to get somebody else. I would hope for Ryan Graves as a UFA signing, and work a trade with LA if they still have their RHD surplus.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
The Cozen's line was our best (or second best line) for a short time while the Jost line was giving away leads.

Now the Cozens line is the weakest line.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I think Bryson looks better lately, and overall serviceable but only in the lense of a mid-season stretch of the team playing better, after an early season stretch of Bryson individually playing poorly. Yes much of that was due to being required to play a role over his head. I don't really care. The lense should be focused on whether a player can be a solid contributor in a playoff series, and not be a major liability if playing up due to injury.

Bryson isn't that guy, and I think Lyubushkin is on the edge of that definition. If Johnson walks then KA needs to get somebody else. I would hope for Ryan Graves as a UFA signing, and work a trade with LA if they still have their RHD surplus.

I think Ryan Johnson is the replacement for Bryson.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Most of that -16 occurred during Buffalo's 8 game losing streak, including a stretch of -9 in 4 games where he was averaging about 20 minutes a game and asked to do work far beyond his pay grade and skill level due to injuries. When he's slotted in the bottom pairing getting his 13 minutes a night and easier assignments, he's more than adequate, especially lately as he and Boosh rekindle some early season chemistry. The bottom pairing could be better, of course, but it's not nearly the dumpster fire it's made out to be.
I am not saying its a dumpster fire but just don't see why he plays consistently over Clague.. I just must not be paying attention I guess

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The Cozen's line was our best (or second best line) for a short time while the Jost line was giving away leads.

Now the Cozens line is the weakest line.

Not all four lines on any team are going to be going at the same time. The fact the Sabres have four lines that have been hot at certain times during the season really bodes well for us. When was the last time we had a team with four lines capable of getting hot?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
According to the NHL, thats not a penalty. Notice his hands extended like a PUSH. Look how far away Krebs is from the boards. He is pushed into the boards about 4 feet away. This is not a hit. He put his hands on Krebs back and pushed him into the boards from behind. Krebs popped up so we are all thankful but it should be reviewed by the NHL.(It wont because well Buffalo)
1674664879451.png

Attachments

• 1674664792627.png
    1674664792627.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad