Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

In this video is where PLB says the Sabres called on Meier. It was a quick hitter kind of thing and did not linger on anything specific as it was a sub-5 minute segment covering a lot of stuff around the league.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
they were in on Robertson (per Rivet/Peters) as well.
Which is the interesting thing to me about all of this. When that was being talked about a lot of people were reluctant to include Quinn or JJ in any deal. In hindsight that absolutely would have been a steal to make that deal and I'd be willing to bet most people feel the same and wished they would have done it.

I love Kulich and I love Savoie. I really don't think it's a good idea to give up that 2023 1st. But damn if Meier isn't a really really good player. I'm unsure of which side of the fence I'm currently on with this, but I'm also having FOMO thinking about the Robertson situation all over again.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Which is the interesting thing to me about all of this. When that was being talked about a lot of people were reluctant to include Quinn or JJ in any deal. In hindsight that absolutely would have been a steal to make that deal and I'd be willing to bet most people feel the same and wished they would have done it.

I love Kulich and I love Savoie. I really don't think it's a good idea to give up that 2023 1st. But damn if Meier isn't a really really good player. I'm unsure of which side of the fence I'm currently on with this, but I'm also having FOMO thinking about the Robertson situation all over again.
I can understand quinn and peterka hesitancy on Meier because he's kinda what you're expecting 1 of them to morph into production wise. But Robertson should have been a no brainer, genuine superstar. Was shocked then and still shocked now.

People, especially around here, look at our prospects and way over value their likelihood of developing into nightly contributors. We do it with any player that shows up and has an ounce of special talent. If you are bringing in an impact talent, he's worth more than any prospect in the system.

I don’t believe Dallas was looking to trade Robertson.
it was during the contract holdout this summer, a number of teams called to inquire

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
A signed Johnson would replace Bryson in 24/25

id be fine if Meier was 23-24 but he’s a few years older. I don’t like signing players till they are 34+.

buffalo needs D in their farm. I don’t see them doing this.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
A signed Johnson would replace Bryson in 24/25

id be fine if Meier was 23-24 but he’s a few years older. I don’t like signing players till they are 34+.

buffalo needs D in their farm. I don’t see them doing this.
managing 1 or 2 aging contracts has become good gm 101 in this league

the issue is albatros contracts with no moves and late deal money

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Meier falls into the category of 'I'd love to have him, but I hope they don't acquire him.' We're basically leading the league in scoring right now, but we're giving up a ton of goals and there isn't much help coming on D in the next few years.

Why would we spend serious assets on a winger??

I get that we wouldn't mind replacing/blocking Quinn or Peterka right now, but signing Meier long term also means you're blocking one of them or our other talented young forwards for good!

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Roster construction becomes really important from here on out. Adams needs to be really smart and stay focused on our biggest hole right now. (top 4 D) Its the only thing he should really be looking for unless some incredible value deal falls in his lap.

Edit: not saying I'm against small roster tinkering for this year. I'm talking about long term roster building.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I don’t see how there’s a realistic danger of prospects being blocked.

Okposo, Girgs, Jost, Asplund are all not necessarily long for the team. There’s plenty of slots.

Even Mitts and Krebs are hardly locks. And there’s no certainty Tuch will sign again.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010

Okposo, Girgs, Jost, Asplund are all not necessarily long for the team. There’s plenty of slots.

Even Mitts and Krebs are hardly locks. And there’s no certainty Tuch will sign again.
Sure, if you just want a team full of scoring wingers, I guess you're right, but that's not how good rosters are built IMO. The top teams in this league aren't built that way at least.

Reactions: Ehran

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

You need roles for development.

buffalo drafted 10+ F in 20-22 drafts. There is also Krebs.

Skiiner, tage, Cozens, Tuch are going to be around a while.

you also have mitts and Olofsson in the near term.

you are going to be blocking player development if you want to go out and acquire more wingers.

gojng forward the core of the teams need to be those who can play center. Unless it’s someone very special, wingers will be replaceable just like RBs in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad