Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I don't think you spend assets on a scoring forward at this point. Secondary scoring IS a problem, but its one that you can see a path forward internally. If anything, given that we've used 4 1st round picks and 3 2nd round picks on forwards in the last 2 drafts, I'm probably being pretty cautious about any long term deals at forwards. We have Skinner locked up for 4 more years, Tuch for 3 more, and Thompson for 7 more.

I'm still looking for that 2 way center that can help on faceoffs and matchups. And I'm looking for a physical winger than can play in the middle six and contribute in the 15-20 goal range.

I'm don't think we are going to do a rental and I don't see anyone in the market that would be a good long term fit.

As for long term:

I think you can safely move on from Olofsson and Mittelstadt at this point. Extending either beyond next year is a mistake. Oloffson's a good goal scorer, but at 27, he's going to be on the wrong side of the aging curve. Mittelstadt's ceiling is a 20 goal 40-50 point secondary scorer. I wonder what the market is on Olofsson at 50% retained? I also don't think you qualify Jost. He's fine but he's easily upgradable and likely doesn't carry any trade value at the QO number.

That leaves your middle six as Peterka, Cozens, Quinn, Krebs going into the summer and your bottom line completely to be filled in.

As far as defense goes, middle pair veteran RHD is still a piece that needs to get filled in. And goalie is still a cluster that needs to get fixed.

Would you do Konecny for Quinn or Peterka? I think I would.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
You still aren't doing the math -- just listing numbers isn't math.

We can afford Meir, yes, but then we prevent ourselves from making any other moves for four years, unless we do a buyout; and if you're a GM who gets yourself into a position where you have to buy a guy out to meet the cap before you win a single playoff game, you're a failure.
I have done the math, several times in fact. Capfriendly is useful for that. I'm not even saying I specifically want Meier, but they need someone that provides that element. They can't be terrified to acquire someone who improves the team long term because the kids MIGHT earn big increases is all I'm saying.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
You still aren't doing the math -- just listing numbers isn't math.

We can afford Meir, yes, but then we prevent ourselves from making any other moves for four years, unless we do a buyout; and if you're a GM who gets yourself into a position where you have to buy a guy out to meet the cap before you win a single playoff game, you're a failure.

Sabres don't have interest in him either -- it's only a topic because some rando said he wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo was involved. Less than nothing.

Are we talking about Timo Meier or Adam Mair? :huh:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I have done the math, several times in fact. Capfriendly is useful for that. I'm not even saying I specifically want Meier, but they need someone that provides that element. They can't be terrified to acquire someone who improves the team long term because the kids MIGHT earn big increases is all I'm saying.
The kids don't even factor into the equation, so you must be misunderstanding me. I'm agreeing that we need to add someone, and that we can. I'm just saying, Adams can only do it once so he will likely be careful in making that choice, and it won't happen during this season -- so Meier specifically probably isn't worth looking at.

I'm certainly not saying we can't add anyone, or shouldn't. There's just not a "ton of flexibility" like you claim. They desperately need some upgrades if they want to make the playoffs in the next few years.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Trade deadline in 5 weeks. I don't think Chychrun gets traded until the draft but I do think he gets traded to Buffalo.

• Wow
Reactions: ValJamesDuex

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I certainly don't understand the 'We can't add any long term contracts' crowd

Cost control long term is simple

#1. Don't sign non critical positions to long term deals. Short term, that probably means Olofsson and Mittelstadt. Olofsson is on the wrong side of the aging curve at contract end and Mittelstadt hasn't earned a long term deal.
#2. Owen Power, as a college signing, is a 10.2 RFA at the end of his deal, meaning no arb rights and can't be offersheet'd. Give him an adjusted 3 year deal ala Charlie McAvoy with a last year escalator to ensure his QO after the last year is higher. That would line up Powers big UFA deal to be after Skinner's expires.
#3. Don't overpay for Tuch in 3 years when his deal his up unless his contribution warrants it.

Assuming a Dahlin deal at 10M per x8 and a Cozens deal at 7M per x7/8, and a 6M x 3 year deal to Power

49.9M for your top 9 players in 24-25. (Krebs RFA)
48.2M for your top 7 players in 25-26 Quinn/Peterka RFA
43.4M for your top 6 players in 26-27 (Tuch's deal falls off)

I'm going to go ahead and conservatively assume:

85M in cap in 24-25
87.5M in cap 25-26
90M in cap in 26-27

I'm also going to assume:

Bottom 3 forwards: 6M budget total
Bottom pair d-men: 4M budget total
Goaltending: 6M budget total

and the 13th forward and 7th d-man make 1.25M on average (2.5M)

That's 11 roster players (2G, 6F, 3D) at a total of 28.5M

In 2024-25: 18 players, 16.6M in space (10F, 6D, 2G), need to add 3F and 1D (including Krebs RFA)
25-26, 20.8M, (8F, 6D, 2G) 5F, 1D (Might need to move one of Quinn/Peterka/Krebs at this point and roll one on ELC at this point depending on contracts)
26-27, 28M in space, 7F, 6D, 2G, depends on Tuch.

But....this isn't a cap crunch. The ONLY real issue is if Krebs/Peterka/Quinn all need big deals off their ELC and can't be bridged. If we have to, that is a great problem to have and can likely move one for a great return.

Go ahead and add 10M or so in salary long term. It's workable. And plenty of ways to make it work long term.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I don't see it. Adams isn't going to pay the cost of acquisition for a guy he isn't likely to re-sign.
He has already inquired and Arizona asked for Savoie.

Pegs are friends with the Chychruns so I put my money on Buffalo not that they trade Savoie but a deal gets done.

Chychrun even talked about wanting to play for the sabres at the draft(of course whats he gonna say)I think there is a very good chance he would resign.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I'm sure darned near every team has inquired and I'm sure that Arizona has asked for a 1st and a top prospect from each one. It shouldn't be a shock that Adams is doing his due diligence on this.

I just don't believe the whole "Pegula thing" is enough to get Chychrun here when you figure in how much it'll take to get him here.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I'm sure darned near every team has inquired and I'm sure that Arizona has asked for a 1st and a top prospect from each one. It shouldn't be a shock that Adams is doing his due diligence on this.

I just don't believe the whole "Pegula thing" is enough to get Chychrun here when you figure in how much it'll take to get him here.
Whats the Pegula thing?

according to Michael Traikos of Post Media, the Buffalo Sabres are now the new favourite to acquire Chychrun, as he quotes Sportsnet’s Jeff Marek: “the Sabres could be a “dark horse” in acquiring the 24-year-old.” This is what Traikos adds on Buffalo leading the sweepstakes:

Multiple reports from Sportsnet to Hockey News puts Buffalo as the front runner. Of course how often does the front runner actually land the player? Time will tell but I agree Buffalo has the best chance.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Pegs are friends with the Chychruns so I put my money on Buffalo not that they trade Savoie but a deal gets done.

Chychrun even talked about wanting to play for the sabres at the draft(of course whats he gonna say)I think there is a very good chance he would resign.
Where did we hear they asked for Savoie?

Reactions: Chainshot

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Whats the Pegula thing?

according to Michael Traikos of Post Media, the Buffalo Sabres are now the new favourite to acquire Chychrun, as he quotes Sportsnet’s Jeff Marek: “the Sabres could be a “dark horse” in acquiring the 24-year-old.” This is what Traikos adds on Buffalo leading the sweepstakes:

Multiple reports from Sportsnet to Hockey Writers puts Buffalo as the front runner. Of course how often does the front runner actually land the player? Time will tell but I agree Buffalo has the best chance.
The families know each other.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Pegulas and Chychruns being friendly with each other.
You mean being frieds? You called it a thing, and being friendly but not actually writing it for what it is.

I am friendly with the cashier at the grocery store that doesn't make her my friend. Point being is you are trying to minimalize it to suit your narrative.

Here you can read this it will allow you to be more familiar with the situation and not just a "thing"

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I don't think you spend assets on a scoring forward at this point. Secondary scoring IS a problem, but its one that you can see a path forward internally. If anything, given that we've used 4 1st round picks and 3 2nd round picks on forwards in the last 2 drafts, I'm probably being pretty cautious about any long term deals at forwards. We have Skinner locked up for 4 more years, Tuch for 3 more, and Thompson for 7 more.

I'm still looking for that 2 way center that can help on faceoffs and matchups. And I'm looking for a physical winger than can play in the middle six and contribute in the 15-20 goal range.

I'm don't think we are going to do a rental and I don't see anyone in the market that would be a good long term fit.

As for long term:

I think you can safely move on from Olofsson and Mittelstadt at this point. Extending either beyond next year is a mistake. Oloffson's a good goal scorer, but at 27, he's going to be on the wrong side of the aging curve. Mittelstadt's ceiling is a 20 goal 40-50 point secondary scorer. I wonder what the market is on Olofsson at 50% retained? I also don't think you qualify Jost. He's fine but he's easily upgradable and likely doesn't carry any trade value at the QO number.

That leaves your middle six as Peterka, Cozens, Quinn, Krebs going into the summer and your bottom line completely to be filled in.

As far as defense goes, middle pair veteran RHD is still a piece that needs to get filled in. And goalie is still a cluster that needs to get fixed.
Agree and agree. Two way center + d to pair with Chychrun.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Why does buffalo think of acquiring Meier give who they drafted?

i could see it if thry were to sign thrm to 3-4 yr contract.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
QO is 10, but in theory you cen get that down with arbitration I think, 20%?

Kotkaniemi signed for 4.8 after making 6.

they can sign him for less than QO.
I doubt Adams wants anything to do with a bridge deal for Power given the deals he got done with Thompson and Samuelsson and wanted to get done with Cozens.

Adams seems to know who the core guys are that he wants to lock up for the long term. And he knows that they won't be cheap.

Also, I don't want anything to do with Skinner/Okposo type contracts where you are paying top dollar for UFA age guys. Especially not those types if you don't know how they will fit in the room like say Meier who would likely want an agreement on a monster extension prior to a trade happening.
Thompson is on a bridge.

samuelsson didn’t start as a teen.

You mean being frieds? You called it a thing, and being friendly but not actually writing it for what it is.

I am friendly with the cashier at the grocery store that doesn't make her my friend. Point being is you are trying to minimalize it to suit your narrative.

Here you can read this it will allow you to be more familiar with the situation and not just a "thing"

chychrun went to school with Pegs kids. I don’t know how close they were in high School or if they were neighbors.

the issue is resigning him and the team salary structure.

id prefer having someone for 3 yrs after this then moving on.

i figure in 26/27 thrn have dshlin, Power, Samuelson, A couple ELCs and someone on a bridge. If there is a vet it’s under $5M expiring after 26/27 season and replaced by a younger player.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
they can sign him for less than QO.

Thompson is on a bridge.

samuelsson didn’t start as a teen.

chychrun went to school with Pegs kids. I don’t know how close they were in high School or if they were neighbors.

the issue is resigning him and the team salary structure.

id prefer having someone for 3 yrs after this then moving on.

i figure in 26/27 thrn have dshlin, Power, Samuelson, A couple ELCs and someone on a bridge. If there is a vet it’s under $5M expiring after 26/27 season and replaced by a younger player.
They were neighbors lived 3 miles apart in Boca Raton, and the Pegs daughter was friends with Chychrun. You can even find stories of Chychrun talking about the Pegulas growing up.

Look there is 32 NHL teams. Chuchryn can go to 31 of the teams or stay. I am just taking an educated guess that is just as good as him going anywhere else. Most "experts" have or had Buffalo as the odds on favorite.
That being said there is a good chance he also stays.

The defense has to be improved in the next 12 months and there is no defensive prospect in the system(ready or worthy atm) so why can't Adams trade for Chychrun? No way we go into the start of next season with Boosh, Bryson, Clague and Pilut as our 5-6-7-8

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
the next time I read or hear a buffalo media person write or say, "The Sabres are not going to mortgage the future for a rental at the deadline" my face is going to melt off my body as though I just opened - and looked into - the arc of the covenant.

it is a f***ing brain-dead straw-man and they will. not. stop. saying it. every. f***ing. year.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I think Chychrun in a real world is a great buy, but I still just want to see him healthy for the majority of the season. He is an amazing talent and at 24, yes, he's got a lot of his prime yet. To pay 2 first round picks and more for a guy who hasn't played a full season in 3 years, is a bit much for me personally. We do need another body back there. I'd still be calling about Andrew Peeke or a player like him.

Reactions: Club

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
the next time I read or hear a buffalo media person write or say, "The Sabres are not going to mortgage the future for a rental at the deadline" my face is going to melt off my body as though I just opened - and looked into - the arc of the covenant.

it is a f***ing brain-dead straw-man and they will. not. stop. saying it. every. f***ing. year.
I really don't think they do it this year, this team isn't cup contender ready, if we can make it to the playoffs and win a round we have over achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad