Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
8 goalies league wide make 6million or more. After this season he’ll have played roughly 60 NHL games. You really want to gamble on the most volatile position, by giving UPL a top ten goalie cap hit league wide after that few of games? Sure, it could work out. But you’re better off bridging him until you’re absolutely sure what you have. Especially when you have one of the better goalie prospects in the league. There is no reason to give him that high of a number yet.

Am I the only one not on the UPL train yet? Sure his record is better than our other goaltenders but he has shown below average goaltending numbers. There is no reward in signing UPL early for term; he plays small in net which allows shooters to easily go top shelf on him. Down low, I think he looks good however I wish he would hug the side of the net better, Ullmark had this problem too but he somehow became a top 5 goalie over in Boston so its not like UPL can't learn; the question is, will he?

Too many unknowns and variables on UPL at the moment IMO

@Der Jaeger offering him over 6 million, how do you even come to that number and why? Flashes? Let's not forget he let in 5 goals against Minnesota, the Sabres had to score 6 to win. Capitals scored 4, the Sabres had to score 5 to win. Sabres have been scoring 3 goals in almost every game, that alone with a competent goalie like Sorokin would be enough on most night to have us sitting in the top of the division with Boston and Toronto.
UPL $6-$7 MM??? I'm certainly not expecting that anytime soon...sorry I see this has been beaten to death...guess I should read to the end before commenting.
> Jost signed 3 x $2.5M

Too much. You can find guys like Jost for much cheaper in FA.

> Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, and Bryson all need new contracts. Collectively, that's $10-12M.

I doubt all these guys are gonna get resigned.

> Re-sign Luukkonen. That's going to be around $6-7M.

Oettinger signed a deal for 4M. How is UPL gonna get 2M-3M more than him?
You are seeing the forest as a bunch of trees.

The contract amounts were secondary to the main idea of the post. That’s why I included this line:

“Argue with what I did above, but what was interesting was the cap available for the future and what the Sabres need to do.”

Even if the contract estimates are off, the idea is the same. Adams has a lot of big contracts coming up. It may not be the best idea to go trading for a big name.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Even if the contract estimates are off, the idea is the same. Adams has a lot of big contracts coming up. It may not be the best idea to go trading for a big name.
What do you consider to be a big name? Pretty much all of the recent contenders have made trades for either a big name forward or D man. We have the assets & we have the space.

Take off 3M from UPL + some of the other overpays for Bryson/Joki/Mitts/Jost and that's pretty much a cap hit for a big name player.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
What do you consider to be a big name? Pretty much all of the recent contenders have made trades for either a big name forward or D man. We have the assets & we have the space.

Take off 3M from UPL + some of the other overpays for Bryson/Joki/Mitts/Jost and that's pretty much a cap hit for a big name player.
Before you do that, consider what has to be paid to Quinn at Peterka.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Buffalo Sabres

Help on defense: Buffalo’s defensive depth has been tested this season, and it’s become clear that beyond Rasmus Dahlin, Mattias Samuelsson and Owen Power, consistency is becoming an issue. A big part of that is the need for another experienced player on the blue line. If the Sabres don’t want to give up the assets required for someone like Jakob Chychrun or Matt Dumba, a veteran like Joel Edmundson could fit. — Matthew Fairburn

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You are seeing the forest as a bunch of trees.

The contract amounts were secondary to the main idea of the post. That’s why I included this line:

“Argue with what I did above, but what was interesting was the cap available for the future and what the Sabres need to do.”

long term I see Cozens snd Power getting bridges. Thrn high contracts in summer 2026.

Krebs get bridge.

Mitts gets traded
Olofsson us traded or could sign for 2 more years.

unless they emerge considerably, I see Peterka/ quinn getting 2 yr bridges till 2036 or 2027.

Kulich, Savoie, and Ostlund sliding ELCs could go to 2027. Rosen rill 2026.

I see them having a 3 yr window to get 1-2 salaried players thst rnd by 2026.

I think thry sign Jost for 2 yr at $2M per.

on goalie I see UPL getting shorter extension at around $4M thrn by the end you have him and Levi competing for starter. In 2026 or 2027 and the winner gets the high $6M salary.

skinner contract ends in 27 so his $9M gets spread around.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Some of the young guys are gonna have to take bridge deals. That's just how contending teams manage the cap. Tampa had Brayden Point, Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak all on bridges. Not all the kids are gonna get monster contracts.

I sgree

you need to see who are the better players among Quinn, Peterka,21 drsft F, and 22 draft F and find who emerges snd what they are and thrn trade some.

going forward long term it appears to be in summer 2027

xxx-Tage-xxx
xxx-Cozens-xxx

can see them resigning Tuch to a 3-4 yr extension In summer 26
skinner a UFA in 2027

you have 10+ forwards drafted in 2020-2022 and Krebs To sort out. I don’t know who becomes what. Cozens could move to wing. Some of them they trade away

in 2027 on D they have something looking like

Samuelson- Dahlin
Power-23 1st/2nd round pick
Johnson*-ELC ( drafted in 2021-25)

* if not Johnson they acquire a current young Dman who would be 22-25 at this time

in 2027 they should know who is top G between UPL/Levi/someone else

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Depends on the cost. He's not what he once was......but he's still mostly reliable in his own zone and does provide a bit of physicality.

We wouldn't be asking him to be the do-it-all guy he was prior to his injury.

Ive never thought of him to be reliable in his own zone. Plus he's pending UFA.

i don’t see them shopping the summer UFA bin other than them taking a player on because another team needed to unload salary.

players thry acquire have one more season left at least.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Timo Meier...

1674494403750.png

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That would be something.

I'm not sure they outbid the Devils who are supposedly hot and heavy in Meier's trade talks. Holtz is further along than any of the Sabre firsts IMO and the Devils could include more on top of that without dropping their prospect depth overly much.

Reactions: Zman5778

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Listening to Sabres Live from Friday... seems like a hint at someone like Meier to unlock more of Cozens' game. Goldman sort of speaks to it during the segment after Yerdon's.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Listening to Sabres Live from Friday... seems like a hint at someone like Meier to unlock more of Cozens' game. Goldman sort of speaks to it during the segment after Yerdon's.
I'd trade Quinn for Meier and I'm super high on Quinn.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Some of the young guys are gonna have to take bridge deals. That's just how contending teams manage the cap. Tampa had Brayden Point, Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak all on bridges. Not all the kids are gonna get monster contracts.
Sure, but if it's avoidable, you do that.

I'm on board for something like an Ekholm trade because he'll be on the way out when some of these contracts need to be done. Otherwise, it's bridging until they hit the cap, and then trading away depth to keep the core.
long term I see Cozens snd Power getting bridges. Thrn high contracts in summer 2026.

Krebs get bridge.

Mitts gets traded
Olofsson us traded or could sign for 2 more years.

unless they emerge considerably, I see Peterka/ quinn getting 2 yr bridges till 2036 or 2027.

Kulich, Savoie, and Ostlund sliding ELCs could go to 2027. Rosen rill 2026.

I see them having a 3 yr window to get 1-2 salaried players thst rnd by 2026.

I think thry sign Jost for 2 yr at $2M per.

on goalie I see UPL getting shorter extension at around $4M thrn by the end you have him and Levi competing for starter. In 2026 or 2027 and the winner gets the high $6M salary.

skinner contract ends in 27 so his $9M gets spread around.
Cozens and Power are the last two who should be bridged.

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
A reliable top 6 forward who is great on the defensive end (when the market isnt over saturated on actual D men)

I'll take it. Love Meier

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So do we like Meier long term in place of VO, or is this just something to make it appear management has a pulse?

Because it would certainly need to be more than just a rental for remainder of year to even consider something like this

A reliable top 6 forward who is great on the defensive end (when the market isnt over saturated on actual D men)

I'll take it. Love Meier

Meier is not about replacing VO as much as he would be about giving Cozens someone reliable to create an actual 2nd line behind Thompson. A couple of the reporting folks have hinted around at Buffalo looking like a fit there. It would be interesting to explore, though the risks are his QO that could then take him up to UFA. They would have to know they can get something long-term done and that brings in another expensive winger.

Then there is the cost of acquisition. I would imagine Buffalo would look at non-roster assets and SJ would want one of Quinn or Peterka.

Reactions: Zman5778

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Meier is not about replacing VO as much as he would be about giving Cozens someone reliable to create an actual 2nd line behind Thompson. A couple of the reporting folks have hinted around at Buffalo looking like a fit there. It would be interesting to explore, though the risks are his QO that could then take him up to UFA. They would have to know they can get something long-term done and that brings in another expensive winger.

Then there is the cost of acquisition. I would imagine Buffalo would look at non-roster assets and SJ would want one of Quinn or Peterka.
We have Savoie to replace Quinn, not sure why San Jose wouldn't be happy with Savoie though and maybe a sweetener of some sort. 2nd rounder maybe.

Fit more in their timeline I would think as well.

I've give up Peterka as well, even though I like him. Rosen/Kulich replace him. Not in addition obviously.

Make it work KA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad