Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
severson gives me risto vibes, don't want that bum
I haven't seen Severson play enough to form an opinion. So all I have are his stats, which don't give Risto vibes.

Severson, Graves, Soucy, Gavrikov. To a lesser extent Dumba, as he's been struggling lately. Are all UFAs and all appear to be decent mid pairing guys.

risto.jpg

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Severson I don't think has ever been viewed as defensively stalwart, with how little the Devils give up and how well the entire team is playing defensively, I think his metrics are a little skewed into 'mirage' territory.

IMO he's more offensively gifted, can move the puck alright but still a liability on defense and we have enough of them. If we really want to upgrade the top 4, we need another Samuelsson, who is shut down.

Reactions: elchud

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Am I the only one not on the UPL train yet? Sure his record is better than our other goaltenders but he has shown below average goaltending numbers. There is no reward in signing UPL early for term; he plays small in net which allows shooters to easily go top shelf on him. Down low, I think he looks good however I wish he would hug the side of the net better, Ullmark had this problem too but he somehow became a top 5 goalie over in Boston so its not like UPL can't learn; the question is, will he?

Too many unknowns and variables on UPL at the moment IMO

@Der Jaeger offering him over 6 million, how do you even come to that number and why? Flashes? Let's not forget he let in 5 goals against Minnesota, the Sabres had to score 6 to win. Capitals scored 4, the Sabres had to score 5 to win. Sabres have been scoring 3 goals in almost every game, that alone with a competent goalie like Sorokin would be enough on most night to have us sitting in the top of the division with Boston and Toronto.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Am I the only one not on the UPL train yet? Sure his record is better than our other goaltenders but he has shown below average goaltending numbers. There is no reward in signing UPL early for term; he plays small in net which allows shooters to easily go top shelf on him. Down low, I think he looks good however I wish he would hug the side of the net better, Ullmark had this problem too but he somehow became a top 5 goalie over in Boston so its not like UPL can't learn; the question is, will he?

@Der Jaeger offering him over 6 million, how do you even come to that number and why? Flashes? Let's not forget he let in 5 goals against Minnesota, the Sabres had to score 6 to win. Capitals scored 4, the Sabres had to score 5 to win. Sabres have been scoring 3 goals in almost every game, that alone with a competent goalie like Sorokin would be enough on most night to have us sitting in the top of the division with Boston and Toronto.
I absolutely think it's too early to gamble on a contract like that

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

He isn't a true #1 goalie yet.. but he is young..so there is that.

I don't think he's done anything remotely close to earning 6 mill aav yet. He needs to show a whole lot more before that.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Bryson was absolutely serviceable as a bottom pairing D last year.

He is playing badly this year, but to just label a player that has played well for long stretches a bad player is just lazy observing.

Bryson, when healthy, is hands down the fastest player on the Sabres. This season, Bryson is no where near the fastest skater out in the ice. That tells me he is fighting through some injuries.

Personally, I don't think Bryson is a great fit for what the team should be looking for on the third pairing, but to label him "bad at hockey" as an absolute description is ridiculous.
I will keep it simple. If we are building a playoff team to compete for a cup, then Bryson does not make the team. I don't hate the guy. He is solid enough at some things, but he is not good enough at anything to overcome his size deficiencies. He is not a playoff team caliber 3rd pairing, or even 7th dman. So....he needs to be replaced.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I'm high on him, but just as a guy with potential that we shouldn't let walk like Ullmark. He's fairly young to be getting this much time as a NHL goalie. KA should be offering a 2-3 yr deal around 2-3 mil, depending how he does before the summer of 2024.

Reactions: Perry Tegula

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
He was referring to the half season where Pisser played wing for Florida......as a result of me making a direct comparison between Pysyk and Bryson.......
Yeah I get it. Pysyk was a good third pairing NHL defensman. He was also 6'1" and 200 lbs. He is really not a comparable to Bryson in any way.

Reactions: KeepKane

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Boosh has had a couple great assists the past few games. More of that would be very welcome!

Still would like to acquire some form of top 4 defenseman to push Joker to the third pair and Bryson to 7D. Our NHL depth on D just isn’t very good.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Boosh has had a couple great assists the past few games. More of that would be very welcome!

Still would like to acquire some form of top 4 defenseman to push Joker to the third pair and Bryson to 7D. Our NHL depth on D just isn’t very good.
Yep! It's a glaring hole that has no replacement on the roster, in the AHL, or in our prospect system. Johnson could push Bryson, and maybe Boosh down to a more appropriate level, but that doesn't fix the problem. A true top 4 inserted into this lineup improves the play of the entire bottom half of our defense corps. I really hope KA gets this and does something sooner than later.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

There's no way that our 3rd pair would be Joker/Boosh regularly.

If we get a defenseman, chances are it's to be as Boosh's regular parter and Power's occasional partner.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Severson I don't think has ever been viewed as defensively stalwart, with how little the Devils give up and how well the entire team is playing defensively, I think his metrics are a little skewed into 'mirage' territory.

IMO he's more offensively gifted, can move the puck alright but still a liability on defense and we have enough of them. If we really want to upgrade the top 4, we need another Samuelsson, who is shut down.
The stats I posted of Severson's are from 2019-2022, before the Devils got good. And his stats were still positive then. They're likely off the charts this year due to how well the Devils are playing.

I agree that there are better fits to go after. I'm just pointing out that his stats say he'd be an upgrade to our current d-core.

Reactions: Chainshot

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Peterka and Quinn earned their way with a year in the AHL. Rosen and Kulich are doing that now along with Kisakov. Maybe they can spend another year there, or maybe they slot into Girgensons and Okposo's spots and Adams doesn't have an energy line.

Peterka and Quinn earned the call up after Peterka was a PPG player and Quinn exploded as an AHL player. Let Kulich and Rosen develop and get to that level (both are close to PPG now).

Ostlund has years to develop. Savoie is likely going back to Winnipeg, and then a year in the AHL before he's on the Sabres.

Aside from replacing or re-signing Okposo and Girgensons, the Sabres don't need to do a thing for their forwards until 2024-25.
I think this is a great point. Despite the fact that you’re looking at two drafts worth of players (‘21 & ‘22 drafts), we had so many picks, and drafted so many forwards that even though they were drafted at the same time, each individuals development will stagnate their ELC hence future contracts so that there isn’t just one time where it’s “oh no we need to re-sign Kulich Savoie & Ostlund this summer). Kuoich’s ELC starts this year but then Ostlund playing overseas another year (or maybe even 2) and Savoie possibly going back to the OHL in 23-24 spreads those contracts out. And that will continue to be the case for the other picks in those drafts as well as this yrs draft.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think this is a great point. Despite the fact that you’re looking at two drafts worth of players (‘21 & ‘22 drafts), we had so many picks, and drafted so many forwards that even though they were drafted at the same time, each individuals development will stagnate their ELC hence future contracts so that there isn’t just one time where it’s “oh no we need to re-sign Kulich Savoie & Ostlund this summer). Kuoich’s ELC starts this year but then Ostlund playing overseas another year (or maybe even 2) and Savoie possibly going back to the OHL in 23-24 spreads those contracts out. And that will continue to be the case for the other picks in those drafts as well as this yrs draft.

Kulich's deal slides as does Rosen's.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
:eyeroll:

Weird that the stat folks who advocated for Asplund as a dark horse Selke candidate last year show Bryson as an above average defensive player. Almost like what you are saying is just personal preference.
Watched him closely against Anaheim. VO too. I think both have made great strides to improve their game at both ends of the ice over the past couple weeks. I thought both performed particularly well against Anaheim. Their play is headed in the right direction for now.

Reactions: Zman5778

Professor Chaos

May 1, 2018
Gotham
Doing some projections on Capfriendly. Mostly kept the team together.

Cozens signed 8 x $7M
Jost signed 3 x $2.5M
Asplund signed 1 x $1M
Clague signed 1 x $1M
Girgensons signed 1 x $2M
Okposo signed 1 x $1M

Traded Flyers 2nd and Portillo to Nashville for Fabbro, signed 3 x $2.8M

That gets the Sabres to 22 players (13/7/2) and almost $71M. No need for the Boychuk's or Bishop's of the world anymore.
---------------------------------
Argue with what I did above, but what was interesting was the cap available for the future and what the Sabres need to do. After next season, Adams has to:

Re-sign Dahlin. That's going to be around $10M.
Re-sign Power. He's probably going to want to avoid a bridge, so that's going to be around $7-8M.
Re-sign Luukkonen. That's going to be around $6-7M.

Krebs, Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, and Bryson all need new contracts. Collectively, that's $10-12M.

Adams will need to add $33-37M in contracts after next season. Dahlin, Power, Luukkonen, Krebs, Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, and Bryson collectively make around $15.5M, so Adams is adding around $17-21M in additional cap to these players.

The assumed Okposo and Girgensons contracts come off the books ($6M - which doesn't matter anyway since they were assumed as 1 years deals, so that money is available regardless). Olofsson, Comrie, and Lyubushkin are free agents, with a combined salary of $9.3M.

Assuming all the estimates are close-ish (with a trade for Fabbro, assuming that the Sabres will make some kind of move), that gets the Sabres to ~$76M on the high end, maybe ~$72M on the lower end.

And the next season, Quinn and Peterka are due contract extensions.

So what? That's get the Sabres in the neighborhood of the cap limit, with key young players still coming up, and not a lot of room left unless the cap goes up. I think Adams may be well served by laying off the big trades, at least until Skinner's contract is off the books. He's got lots of contract work to do in the meantime.
UPL $6-$7 MM??? I'm certainly not expecting that anytime soon...sorry I see this has been beaten to death...guess I should read to the end before commenting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bendium and MOGlLNY

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Doing some projections on Capfriendly. Mostly kept the team together.

Cozens signed 8 x $7M
Jost signed 3 x $2.5M
Asplund signed 1 x $1M
Clague signed 1 x $1M
Girgensons signed 1 x $2M
Okposo signed 1 x $1M

Traded Flyers 2nd and Portillo to Nashville for Fabbro, signed 3 x $2.8M

That gets the Sabres to 22 players (13/7/2) and almost $71M. No need for the Boychuk's or Bishop's of the world anymore.
---------------------------------
Argue with what I did above, but what was interesting was the cap available for the future and what the Sabres need to do. After next season, Adams has to:

Re-sign Dahlin. That's going to be around $10M.
Re-sign Power. He's probably going to want to avoid a bridge, so that's going to be around $7-8M.
Re-sign Luukkonen. That's going to be around $6-7M.

Krebs, Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, and Bryson all need new contracts. Collectively, that's $10-12M.

Adams will need to add $33-37M in contracts after next season. Dahlin, Power, Luukkonen, Krebs, Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, and Bryson collectively make around $15.5M, so Adams is adding around $17-21M in additional cap to these players.

The assumed Okposo and Girgensons contracts come off the books ($6M - which doesn't matter anyway since they were assumed as 1 years deals, so that money is available regardless). Olofsson, Comrie, and Lyubushkin are free agents, with a combined salary of $9.3M.

Assuming all the estimates are close-ish (with a trade for Fabbro, assuming that the Sabres will make some kind of move), that gets the Sabres to ~$76M on the high end, maybe ~$72M on the lower end.

And the next season, Quinn and Peterka are due contract extensions.

So what? That's get the Sabres in the neighborhood of the cap limit, with key young players still coming up, and not a lot of room left unless the cap goes up. I think Adams may be well served by laying off the big trades, at least until Skinner's contract is off the books. He's got lots of contract work to do in the meantime.
> Jost signed 3 x $2.5M

Too much. You can find guys like Jost for much cheaper in FA.

> Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, and Bryson all need new contracts. Collectively, that's $10-12M.

I doubt all these guys are gonna get resigned.

> Re-sign Luukkonen. That's going to be around $6-7M.

Oettinger signed a deal for 4M. How is UPL gonna get 2M-3M more than him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad