Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I don't see it. Just being a top notch player doesn't make you a Captain. Cozens is more likely to get there than Dahlin in my opinion. Either way, I have always preferred a more experienced veteran.
He is not just the best player by a mile
He has Messier like qualities, I dont see that with any other player on this team
He is not just a skill player like Eichel, he does it all.
From the outside it looks for me he should be the natural choice.

Maybe Lance blocked you on Twitter.

:sarcasm:
Elon must have heard my tesla jokes

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Argue with what I did above, but what was interesting was the cap available for the future and what the Sabres need to do. After next season, Adams has to:

Re-sign Luukkonen. That's going to be around $6-7M.
I'm sorry, what? UPL has improved from his time in Rochester and had some flashes up here, but he has to develop a lot more consistency before he gets that type of money.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm sorry, what? UPL has improved from his time in Rochester and had some flashes up here, but he has to develop a lot more consistency before he gets that type of money.
Do we want to project out again coming off a small contract? It's clear that he's headed in the direction of a 1G. He's not on his ELC, but it's the same effect as a bridge. Adams is already going to may through the teeth for bridging Dahlin.

If UPL keeps this up, that type of contract will be a steal. It's a gamble, but I think it'll work out.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Do we want to project out again coming off a small contract? It's clear that he's headed in the direction of a 1G. He's not on his ELC, but it's the same effect as a bridge. Adams is already going to may through the teeth for bridging Dahlin.

If UPL keeps this up, that type of contract will be a steal. It's a gamble, but I think it'll work out.
I do not think it is "clear" at all that he is headed in the direction of a 1G, nor do I think if he "keeps this up" (an .896 SV%) would such a contract be anything other than an anchor. That proposed contract isn't a gamble, it's Russian Roulette with four bullets in a six-shot revolver.

Lest someone accuse me of hating UPL (overreaction on HF, never!), I think he's fine for now. But he has done nothing remotely close to justifying that type of contract or indicating to me that he would be worth that kind of risk in the near term.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

8 goalies league wide make 6million or more. After this season he’ll have played roughly 60 NHL games. You really want to gamble on the most volatile position, by giving UPL a top ten goalie cap hit league wide after that few of games? Sure, it could work out. But you’re better off bridging him until you’re absolutely sure what you have. Especially when you have one of the better goalie prospects in the league. There is no reason to give him that high of a number yet.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I do not think it is "clear" at all that he is headed in the direction of a 1G, nor do I think if he "keeps this up" (an .896 SV%) would such a contract be anything other than an anchor. That proposed contract isn't a gamble, it's Russian Roulette with four bullets in a six-shot revolver.

Lest someone accuse me of hating UPL (overreaction on HF, never!), I think he's fine for now. But he has done nothing remotely close to justifying that type of contract or indicating to me that he would be worth that kind of risk in the near term.
The Colorado game on December 15 was the first game where UPL started to look like he does now. He's had a .916 save percentage in 10 games, and he's 8-2. He faced 40 or more shots in 5 of those games. Small sample size, I get it. But seasons aren't homogenous, and had 7 up-and-down games prior to his breakout.

Sabres have 38 more home games left. He'll get plenty of games. If he keeps up his pace from mid-December, I'm comfortable with an Ullmark type contract.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
For whatever reason, every time I say something somewhat controversial it gets odd responses I believe, but hear me out.

Love Quinn and his potential but for now at least, I'm sick of seeing him either miss the net or shoot it into the crest of the jersey.

How about we take a look at VO over there at this point?

I'll hang up and get crucified
Or ignored I guess

But hey, if you can't say anything nice, than don't say anything at all.

Still think it makes perfect sense.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Or ignored I guess

But hey, if you can't say anything nice, than don't say anything at all.

Still think it makes perfect sense.
My comment may be a post-to-the-poster instead of the comment, variety, but here it is anyway.

People don't comment on your post because you entered the board chest thumping about how you were right about Thompson and a bunch of other stuff. And complaining about posters on this board and their ideas / thoughts. You've gotten that type of rep in just 6 weeks.

It's kind of like the NHL player who gets sent to the AHL, and walks into the locker room with the savior attitude, or the "I'm too good to be here" attitude. That never plays well.

Same thing here on this board. Lots of people have been on this board for years, some over a decade. Some, a couple decades. A few were here when it started. Lots of really knowledgeable hockey people are on this board. And most of us who are here stuck it out through a decade of $hit Sabres hockey. Few of us are going to take the time to reply to some of your posts with the way you came onto the board.

Just something to think about. Or not. But maybe explains why you aren't getting a lot of replies or conversation continuance.

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
My comment may be a post-to-the-poster instead of the comment, variety, but here it is anyway.

People don't comment on your post because you entered the board chest thumping about how you were right about Thompson and a bunch of other stuff. And complaining about posters on this board and their ideas / thoughts. You've gotten that type of rep in just 6 weeks.

It's kind of like the NHL player who gets sent to the AHL, and walks into the locker room with the savior attitude, or the "I'm too good to be here" attitude. That never plays well.

Same thing here on this board. Lots of people have been on this board for years, some over a decade. Some, a couple decades. A few were here when it started. Lots of really knowledgeable hockey people are on this board. And most of us who are here stuck it out through a decade of $hit Sabres hockey. Few of us are going to take the time to reply to some of your posts with the way you came onto the board.

Just something to think about. Or not. But maybe explains why you aren't getting a lot of replies or conversation continuance.
Thank you so much!

When I first read this I thought, my, it's amazing to me how a message board, with what appears to have countless members, could possibly come to such a unified opinion of me and my participation here in such a short period of time.

But then I thought...

One City

One Team

One Message Board

I make this promise to ALL of you, as God is my witness, I will try to do better.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Give me Mayfield. There's your 2nd Sammy.

I’ve been on the Mayfield train since last season. I would love him on this team. I can’t imagine the Isles just letting him go though.

I got some land to sell ya…..

Mayfield hasn’t done more because he can’t.he isn’t some 23 yr old.

same issue with Bryson.

You are probably the only person on here that cares about age. It’s not like we’re talking about acquiring a 37 year old Ryan Suter.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Rasmus Ristolainen 647 games 49 goals 217 asst 266 pts (-176) diff 351 pen min
Damon Severson ... 610 games 55 goals 189 asst 244 pts (-123) diff 378 pen min

Wow! There are two of them!

Hard pass!
Both were on some reeaaalllyyyy bad basement teams. No way in hell he is as bad as Risto is though. Devils fans actually like Severson

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Both were on some reeaaalllyyyy bad basement teams. No way in hell he is as bad as Risto is though. Devils fans actually like Severson
Alot of Sabres fans loved and defended Risto forever because he was likeable, played hard, and hit people. Sometimes bad hockey players can hide on bad teams because it is a built in excuse for bad numbers. Sometimes teams are bad because they have bad players (who could have guessed.) Over time the numbers bear out the truth, and I am not the least bit interested in what 8-9 years of consistently bad numbers say about Severson.

Also, when you have the worst numbers on a really bad team......you really are bad.

See Bryson. It will be a failure of management id Bryson is still on the team next year.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
See Bryson. It will be a failure of management id Bryson is still on the team next year.

Bryson was absolutely serviceable as a bottom pairing D last year.

He is playing badly this year, but to just label a player that has played well for long stretches a bad player is just lazy observing.

Bryson, when healthy, is hands down the fastest player on the Sabres. This season, Bryson is no where near the fastest skater out in the ice. That tells me he is fighting through some injuries.

Personally, I don't think Bryson is a great fit for what the team should be looking for on the third pairing, but to label him "bad at hockey" as an absolute description is ridiculous.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Bryson was absolutely serviceable as a bottom pairing D last year.

He is playing badly this year, but to just label a player that has played well for long stretches a bad player is just lazy observing.

This is it, exactly. On a GOOD team, he's a fantastic 7th defenseman who can play both sides. What he needs to do is embrace what he is -- he's a speedy, positionally solid defenseman who has little idea what to do in the offensive zone. Pysyk parlayed it into a solid, long career. I expect the same from Bryson.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
This is it, exactly. On a GOOD team, he's a fantastic 7th defenseman who can play both sides. What he needs to do is embrace what he is -- he's a speedy, positionally solid defenseman who has little idea what to do in the offensive zone. Pysyk parlayed it into a solid, long career. I expect the same from Bryson.
So when is Bryson gonna play on the wing?

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Alot of Sabres fans loved and defended Risto forever because he was likeable, played hard, and hit people. Sometimes bad hockey players can hide on bad teams because it is a built in excuse for bad numbers. Sometimes teams are bad because they have bad players (who could have guessed.) Over time the numbers bear out the truth, and I am not the least bit interested in what 8-9 years of consistently bad numbers say about Severson.

Also, when you have the worst numbers on a really bad team......you really are bad.

958EAB38-16CA-4E30-BB60-6B518B297A7C.jpeg

Severson’s number have improved drastically the last 3 seasons.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad