Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I love this team, can't remember the last time we had a team this exciting to watch.

also slapped 100$ on Donny G winning COTY dahlin winning the norris and JJP winning the calder.
Are you in nys? Wanted some Calder action but didn't think it was offered

Wonder if attendance will increase. Kind if remember the early winning not really giving a big bump last year

Last edited:

MilkshakeMan

Apr 22, 2022
Getting great production via quality chances and solid finishing, and without much/any offensive impact from Skinner, Quinn, Krebs, and Power. When those guys get going this team is going to be dangerous.

I'm super interested to see how the Sabres hold up vs. Atlantic teams. This division is a bear top to bottom it seems.

Easily the best in the NHL so far.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
If Skinner is that productive, I doubt the Sabres will want to move him to a division rival and retain salary to make it happen.

We have a long way to go between now and 24-25 or 25-26 when Toronto might be open to something like that.

Okposo, Girgensons, Olofsson, and Hinostroza not being on the Sabres roster in 24-25 will likely clear out those forward spots for the kids.
I am quite sure at least one of the mentioned will still be on the roster in 24/25

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm super interested to see how the Sabres hold up vs. Atlantic teams. This division is a bear top to bottom it seems.

Easily the best in the NHL so far.
Yeah that will be the difference. Their playoff prospects will be decided on those games. Seven division games coming up before game #20, nine total with the Ott and Fla games already. Only 17 more division games after game #20. They need to bump up over these teams early.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Skinner is still better than all of or new prospects atm so no need to contemplate buying him out yet.
Not that I am happy and he could be playing better, but still he is a relentless puck hound even when things dont go his way. His contract is bad no question, but it doesn't matter for the foreseeable future and as long he is better and can provide things or rookies can't. He will probably settle on the 3rd line when its all said and done.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Don't know if this has already been discussed to death, but Quinn doesn't look ready for this level physically. To me he looks similar to Reinhart's early years where he wasn't the best skater and wasn't strong enough on his skates to hold the puck for more than a quick second.

I want to be clear though, I'm not saying this is a crisis or that he's not going to be a good player. I think physically he's just not ready yet and they should act accordingly.

The way I see it, they could go a couple different routes with him right now. 1) keep him around, have him work out and build strength, getting the occasional game and trying to manage his confidence so he doesn't lose the traits that make him so promising. They did this with Tage at one point. Or 2) they can send him back to Rochester and give him another year there. Give him another off season to get bigger and faster, and have him try again next year. This would certainly help Rochester as well.

Or I guess they could do 1 and then eventually 2 if he doesn't make progress.

I know its only game 3 and you don't want to jump to snap judgments, but you also don't want to avoid making a decision and have him spin his wheels.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Curious…..for the sake of argument say both Joki and Samuelson are out till Xmas

do the Sabres go out and get someone?
right? Left? One year or multi year contract?
is the 6/7/waiver level or someone more top 4?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Don't know if this has already been discussed to death, but Quinn doesn't look ready for this level physically. To me he looks similar to Reinhart's early years where he wasn't the best skater and wasn't strong enough on his skates to hold the puck for more than a quick second.

I want to be clear though, I'm not saying this is a crisis or that he's not going to be a good player. I think physically he's just not ready yet and they should act accordingly.

The way I see it, they could go a couple different routes with him right now. 1) keep him around, have him work out and build strength, getting the occasional game and trying to manage his confidence so he doesn't lose the traits that make him so promising. They did this with Tage at one point. Or 2) they can send him back to Rochester and give him another year there. Give him another off season to get bigger and faster, and have him try again next year. This would certainly help Rochester as well.

I know its only game 3 and you don't want to jump to snap judgments, but you also don't want to avoid making a decision and have him spin his wheels.
No….he’s more of a slow adjustment to the next level. Some players are like that. This is true also in standard workplace skills in learning a new workplace. You have some workers who can step in and do well right away and there are some who might take3 months to get a full understanding but they are much better than the quick hire.

MilkshakeMan

Apr 22, 2022
Yeah that will be the difference. Their playoff prospects will be decided on those games. Seven division games coming up before game #20, nine total with the Ott and Fla games already. Only 17 more division games after game #20. They need to bump up over these teams early.

It can work both ways however - keeps a bunch of teams bunched together. Looking at the last few years here's how I look at it:

Teams Sabres do well against

Laffs
Habs

Teams Sabres do awful against

Bruins
Panthers
Bolts

Teams Sabres do "meh" against

Sens
Wings - we lost to them three times in OT last year IIRC

Obviously, trends change from year-to-year - but need to move the Sens and Wings to the "well" category in order to have a shot (beating the Sens already is a good start). And try to steal a few vs BOS, FLA, TB.

EDIT: But, staying on the roster topic: hopefully that coincides with some of the mentioned players shaking off slow starts.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Curious…..for the sake of argument say both Joki and Samuelson are out till Xmas

No, Pilut and Fitz should be ok fill ins for now.

Boosh is back, Sam seems like he will be day to day now ? Hank probably week to week (guessing concussion protocol, dark room and all that)

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010

I doubt they would make a move. Just creates a worse jam when everyone's healthy, and I don't think they're ready to spend future's just to patch a temporary hole when the team is still developing.

Having said that, I think anytime would be a good time to bring in a quality top 4 RD w experience, just don't think they will in that situation.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA

I wanna see Quinn off the 4th line first and honestly don't see the point of sending him to roch right now. Like you said its only been 3 games but I don't question his skill or his physicality its just him playing hesitant thats causing his slow start which is natural for a rookie.

I thought Quinn played great last night! Seemed way more confident and less hesitant with the puck. Would like to see him with more skilled/faster linemates (maybe some PP time) for a good stretch before we start talking about sending him to Roch

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It can work both ways however - keeps a bunch of teams bunched together. Looking at the last few years here's how I look at it:

Teams Sabres do well against

Laffs
Habs

Teams Sabres do awful against

Bruins
Panthers
Bolts

Teams Sabres do "meh" against

Sens
Wings - we lost to them three times in OT last year IIRC

Obviously, trends change from year-to-year - but need to move the Sens and Wings to the "well" category in order to have a shot (beating the Sens already is a good start). And try to steal a few vs BOS, FLA, TB.

EDIT: But, staying on the roster topic: hopefully that coincides with some of the mentioned players shaking off slow starts.
In this coming stretch they'll play Mon twice, and everyone else once except Fla. It will be a strong indicator of their playoff chances.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Skinner is still better than all of or new prospects atm so no need to contemplate buying him out yet.
Not that I am happy and he could be playing better, but still he is a relentless puck hound even when things dont go his way. His contract is bad no question, but it doesn't matter for the foreseeable future and as long he is better and can provide things or rookies can't. He will probably settle on the 3rd line when its all said and done.
I agree. I keep hearing how Skinner has sucked so far. Last night I finally got to watch and saw very little wrong with his game. Tuch's goal does not happen without Skinner being a tenacious puck hound in that fight for possession in front of the net. Like a lot of goal scorers, he is streaky. He just finished a 30 goal campaign and were talking buyout? Or having him sit for a rookie to get some "development" time? No way.

Last year Skinner Thompson and Tuch became a #1 line. A line you can count on for a goal a game average. So 80-85 goals a season. I LOVE Granato, but I think taking Tuch off that line was a mistake....which he rectified quickly. Neither Jeff or Tage are true line drivers. They are both scorers that can win one on one battles and get of wicked shots. Tuch drives the defense off with his speed and helps open up ice that Jeff and Tage feast off of. Last year he was focused on feeding them. Now that teams have caught on and are focusing more on Tage and Jeff, it is freeing up Tuch to hurt them. A good #1 line cannot be shut down because all three will hurt you. So its pick your poison. Take any of those three off the line and it doesn't work. So leave it alone and collect your 80-85 goals, regardless of whether they are coming from Jeff, Tage, or Tuch.

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
Getting great production via quality chances and solid finishing, and without much/any offensive impact from Skinner, Quinn, Krebs, and Power. When those guys get going this team is going to be dangerous.
Always takes Skinner a few games to realize the season started. The other guys are gonna naturally develop... I hope

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009

I think Quinn will be a slow, developing player. His first year in Rochester had me thinking he was doing the Alex Nylander route. There isn't much left to do in the AHL for Quinn other than score a bunch of meaningless goals. He's got to lean the grind of the NHL. If/when he's got that, the ice will open up and he'll score. even being on the 4th line, there's a lot he can learn from guys like Grigs and Okposo. It's not like the old days where he's getting 4 minutes a night with guys that belong on the ECHL.

I'm probably being more patient than normal considering how well Paterka is doing.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Its kind of weird the Sabres schedule for the Westcoast road trip, no back to backs, now two days off. Maybe it was like that post Covid but I can't even remember now.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Are you in nys? Wanted some Calder action but didn't think it was offered

Wonder if attendance will increase. Kind if remember the early winning not really giving a big bump last year
southern ontario. got dahlin And JJP @ 5000 and Donny @ 4000+

I went to opener great game but maybe 60-70% full ? but winning changes that

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
We don't know if Samuelsson will miss games or not. If he does, the Sabres will have only 6 healthy d-men on the roster, including Pilut.

Maybe they roll the dice if he's only out against Seattle, but anything beyond that, and a callup or trade, far more likely the former, is inevitable.

Amerks followers, who's next up?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
We don't know if Samuelsson will miss games or not. If he does, the Sabres will have only 6 healthy d-men on the roster, including Pilut.

Maybe they roll the dice if he's only out against Seattle, but anything beyond that, and a callup or trade, far more likely the former, is inevitable.

Amerks followers, who's next up?

Terry Hollinger

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
I agree. I keep hearing how Skinner has sucked so far. Last night I finally got to watch and saw very little wrong with his game. Tuch's goal does not happen without Skinner being a tenacious puck hound in that fight for possession in front of the net. Like a lot of goal scorers, he is streaky. He just finished a 30 goal campaign and were talking buyout? Or having him sit for a rookie to get some "development" time? No way.

Last year Skinner Thompson and Tuch became a #1 line. A line you can count on for a goal a game average. So 80-85 goals a season. I LOVE Granato, but I think taking Tuch off that line was a mistake....which he rectified quickly. Neither Jeff or Tage are true line drivers. They are both scorers that can win one on one battles and get of wicked shots. Tuch drives the defense off with his speed and helps open up ice that Jeff and Tage feast off of. Last year he was focused on feeding them. Now that teams have caught on and are focusing more on Tage and Jeff, it is freeing up Tuch to hurt them. A good #1 line cannot be shut down because all three will hurt you. So its pick your poison. Take any of those three off the line and it doesn't work. So leave it alone and collect your 80-85 goals, regardless of whether they are coming from Jeff, Tage, or Tuch.
His first two shots were at glass, after that I agree he settled in better and played ok. But he still needs to continue to improve to make his line complete as does 71.

Cozens is working very well with JJ
TT and Tuch are vibing
Mitts driving his line
Kyle and Girgs doing hard work.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Terry Hollinger
Brings the experience we lack. Too bad he plays the left side.

1666556807272.png

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Its kind of weird the Sabres schedule for the Westcoast road trip, no back to backs, now two days off. Maybe it was like that post Covid but I can't even remember now.

they have gotten western schedule break of no back to backs On any of the3 3 trips.

look at their divisional foes. I think everyone has at least a back to back in their western trips

Reactions: Sabre the Win
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad