Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Pliut is probably going to play enough games to be waiver-eligable. If the D gets healthy, they will either have to try and sneak FItzgerald through waivers, or make a trade. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself and the Sabres D will be banged up all season.
Rather sneak Sheahan thru...

Doing a sift for value targets stumbled up Steven Lorentz in SJ. Big guy with really solid possession metrics in essentially defense only deployment. Only makes 1M, would be good insurance in case Krebs/Quinn need to stick in Rochester all year. He also plays center. He's Jim's grandson, some of you probably watched him in Waterloo.

At 26 I can't imagine SJ would really be looking at him as someone to rebuild around. Unfortunately it's a 1 way deal.
We have no need for any forwards tho

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
That's my gut reaction too, but Adams' pro scouting and analytics teams should/will be investigating every conceivable opportunity for improving the roster, on an ongoing basis. Opportunities that may not be obvious to us.

I concede that a d-first forward to fill a hole left by assigning Krebs or Quinn for a significant period wouldn't be at the top of their to-do list. Each of those guys needs to be getting minutes with the Sabres, until his play proves he just isn't ready or the play of the other forwards makes him superfluous.

The more I think about this, if they both stick, the most likely solution is to trade Oly. I'll be sad if that happens.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
That's my gut reaction too, but Adams' pro scouting and analytics teams should/will be investigating every conceivable opportunity for improving the roster, on an ongoing basis. Opportunities that may not be obvious to us.

I concede that a d-first forward to fill a hole left by assigning Krebs or Quinn for a significant period wouldn't be at the top of their to-do list. Each of those guys needs to be getting minutes with the Sabres, until his play proves he just isn't ready or the play of the other forwards makes him superfluous.

The more I think about this, if they both stick, the most likely solution is to trade Oly. I'll be sad if that happens.
Kinda weird that he's not clicking. Could just be a slow start

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Yeah I'm not worried about Quinn either. My bad I was talking about VO. Hopefully once he gets one, he'll warm up.
I like Vic. He was a good soldier, becoming a much more well rounded 5-on-5 player and racking up assists, while his shoulder was too wrecked to shoot the way we know he can. And some in here were dumping on him for not scoring.

But right now he's the guy I'd sit to give Quinn a game. Maybe Donny will get into a rotation where one of Quinn, Krebs, Vic, Hino (who's been superb), Kyle maybe watch while the others play. If they all play well, only injuries or a trade provide a solution.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I like Vic. He was a good soldier, becoming a much more well rounded 5-on-5 player and racking up assists, while his shoulder was too wrecked to shoot the way we know he can. And some in here were dumping on him for not scoring.

But right now he's the guy I'd sit to give Quinn a game. Maybe Donny will get into a rotation where one of Quinn, Krebs, Vic, Hino (who's been superb), Kyle maybe watch while the others play. If they all play well, only injuries or a trade provide a solution.
That makes a lot of sense. My gut tells me that Krebs will get rotated out but who knows.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Quinn?

Not going to be overly concerned about him after 2 meh games. I imagine he'll be eager to get in on the action after watching the the last 2.

Quinn needs to play or get sent down. I don't see a spot for him on the roster and while I generally do not have strong opinions on how they handle these things, I do know he does not belong in the press box. I also do not want him in for Hinnostroza - so not sure who comes out.

Yeah I'm not worried about Quinn either. My bad I was talking about VO. Hopefully once he gets one, he'll warm up.

I think VO will be stashed on a 3rd line/checking line role with Asplund. That's fine as long as the team is winning and scoring goals.
That makes a lot of sense. My gut tells me that Krebs will get rotated out but who knows.

I don't think so.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
By the time Skinners contract is a burden it will have ended.. Sabres are the lowest cap team.. Not many people need massive contracts coming up.
Dahlin, Power, Comrie, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, and Tuch all need new deals before Skinner's deal is up.

And you have the Thompson extension hitting the books beginning next season.

You also have guys like Savoie who could need a second deal before Skinner's deal is up.

There is a less than 0% chance that Skinner's deal is a big problem over the last year or two.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Biron and Duff have the same thought as some here who think that Olofsson should sit to make room for Quinn.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Biron and Duff have the same thought as some here who think that Olofsson should sit to make room for Quinn.
And I agree with them, even if it's not Olofsson, but Skinner or Krebs, for example. If a player does not show himself in any way for 2-3 games, then there should be a rotation, especially when a player like Quinn is sitting in the press box, and not Bjork or Eakin.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Skinner has been worse than Olofsson.

And if the idea is that Olofsson is expendable and will be traded this year or next they should keep him in the lineup to boost his value.

Skinner has no value to boost as he is un-tradeable.

Glad to see so many other posters contemplating a Skinner buyout. We don't need the cap space yet, but we do already need the roster spot. Cap savings would be maximized if he's bought out this coming Summer.

We know that Skinner won't accept or embrace a bottom 6 role, so there's no hope of bumping him down the line up and just riding out the contract like with Okposo.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Thank the hockey gods that I don't have to watch Eakin out there anymore....I can actually watch all 4 forward lines without feeling a need to close my eyes.

This is true, even Sheahan as a 13th is more palatable than Eakin. And he was only brought in at league minimum. I'll never understand the need to pay a scrub like Eakin 2.5M. Moving on.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Quinn needs to play or get sent down. I don't see a spot for him on the roster and while I generally do not have strong opinions on how they handle these things, I do know he does not belong in the press box. I also do not want him in for Hinnostroza - so not sure who comes out.

I think VO will be stashed on a 3rd line/checking line role with Asplund. That's fine as long as the team is winning and scoring goals.

I don't think so.
Eh I'm not even pushing one over the other's play just that VO has vet status. If it were as simple as on ice play, Skinner would come out but we know that won't happen.

Reactions: BFLO

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Dahlin, Power, Comrie, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, and Tuch all need new deals before Skinner's deal is up.

And you have the Thompson extension hitting the books beginning next season.

You also have guys like Savoie who could need a second deal before Skinner's deal is up.

There is a less than 0% chance that Skinner's deal is a big problem over the last year or two.
Dahlin is the only player who will get paid big, If we look at Makar's contract, giving Dahlin 9 or 9.5 should be the highest paid player on the team while everyone fits under.

Comrie is a placeholder for UPL, Levi or the outside chance of Portillo. He will be 29 going into his next contract and we should let another team spend the money and term regardless how good he is over these next 2 years.

As for the others, I can't say how much they will cost as they could go cold and statlines even out, Peterka and Tuch may only be seasonal 50 point players; which is fine. Won't cost an arm and a leg, especially with the cap going up big this year and apparently next.

Also Okposo's 6 million comes off next year, if he resigns I'm guessing it will be for incredibly less.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Buying out skinner after next year may make some sense. We'll be in range to need to pay both Dahlin and Power at that point.

We won't "need" to buyout Skinner.

The only scenario where it might be on the table is if we decide to keep Comrie (and spend 4.5 a year on him) and Power gets a long-er bridge at like 7.5 or something.

Our goalie costs will be pretty low for a while. Like for the next 4 or 5 years. The reason buyout for Skinner is bad is, it will put stress on the cap when we have to start paying Levi/UPL big-ish money in 6 years.

Buyout of Skinner as it stands is unnecessary and mostly detrimental to cup contender rosters in the future. Its theoretically possible if he turns into a lousy, or replacement level player.

Right now the cap is fine for the next 5 years. Olofsson won't be around for another contract, and there is some cost control on the RFAs. For example, not all of Cozens/Krebs/Peterka/Quinn will be getting 5+ year deals. A couple of them will be looking at 2 or 3 year deals.

I was thinking Skinner buy out for quite some time. But moving Eichel/Reinhart and having two (maybe three!) cap floor teams really changed the landscape.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
And I agree with them, even if it's not Olofsson, but Skinner or Krebs, for example. If a player does not show himself in any way for 2-3 games, then there should be a rotation, especially when a player like Quinn is sitting in the press box, and not Bjork or Eakin.
On ATW, they had Derek Roy on and he was talking about how in Buffalo during the 05-07 years it was so competitive, you couldn't really afford to have an off game. There were so many players that wanted ice time/PP time that if you weren't on your game, you risked losing it.

I don't see why that's a bad thing. It's 100% how it should be in the NHL/professional sports in general. If you have bad games, you sit or you lose ice time. It doesn't mean you're banished to the press box for the rest of the year, but you'll have to earn that ice time back. I think it's something that the Sabres lacked in a big way for many years now, and getting that internal competition is only going to improve the team as a whole.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This exactly. Even in a few years you can give Dahlin 10x8 and Power a 3x6 bridge and still have plenty of money left to sign guys like Cozens, Krebs etc. No one outside maybe Dahlin has really earned a huge increase thus far.

If a bunch of players earn big paydays to the point Buffalo is hard against the cap they will still have Savoie, Kulich, Ostlund, Rosen etc on ELC's that they can afford to trade a player. At some I think we're going to see one of Mittelstadt, Cozens, Krebs, or Asplund traded when the other kids are ready unless all the current prospects bust there are just too many unless they start trading prospects.

Tage
Tuch
Quinn
Peterka
Cozens
Krebs
Mittelstadt
Asplund
Savoie
Kulich
Ostlund
Rosen
Skinner

That's 13 guys right there and doesn't even consider guys like Okposo, Gus, Olofsson, or prospects like Kozak, Bloom, Kisakov, Nadeau, Poltapov, Neuchev or many others. Maybe we see one of the top end prospects bust, and the bulk of the mid/late rounders not be good enough, but some will be. Adams may have some tough decisions in the coming years, but it could also be fun to watch.

I expect Dahlin to get 8yrs and power gets a 3 yr bridge similar to Dahlin.

Skinner has 5 yrs left. His money would go to the younger players where Quinn, Peterka get 2 yr bridges.others end their ELCs or short bridges.

i expect Tuch to get resigned

i expect Mitts if not traded gets a short Olofsson type of contract of 2 yrs which would take him to ELCs ending.

interesting case is Asplund. How much do you sign him for for say 5 yrs Extension?

similarly Cozens and Krebs I see getting bridges.

Is Krebs better suited for center? Cozens move to wing?

This exactly. Even in a few years you can give Dahlin 10x8 and Power a 3x6 bridge and still have plenty of money left to sign guys like Cozens, Krebs etc. No one outside maybe Dahlin has really earned a huge increase thus far.

If a bunch of players earn big paydays to the point Buffalo is hard against the cap they will still have Savoie, Kulich, Ostlund, Rosen etc on ELC's that they can afford to trade a player. At some I think we're going to see one of Mittelstadt, Cozens, Krebs, or Asplund traded when the other kids are ready unless all the current prospects bust there are just too many unless they start trading prospects.

Tage
Tuch
Quinn
Peterka
Cozens
Krebs
Mittelstadt
Asplund
Savoie
Kulich
Ostlund
Rosen
Skinner

That's 13 guys right there and doesn't even consider guys like Okposo, Gus, Olofsson, or prospects like Kozak, Bloom, Kisakov, Nadeau, Poltapov, Neuchev or many others. Maybe we see one of the top end prospects bust, and the bulk of the mid/late rounders not be good enough, but some will be. Adams may have some tough decisions in the coming years, but it could also be fun to watch.

Surely Quinn won't be sitting for 3 games in a row. It's gotta be Krebs or Oly coming out, and my preference would be the latter. He hasn't been awful. He's just the odd-man out in the forward game of musical chairs Granato has to play.

I can picture Asplund-Mitts-Quinn working. Digger-Playmaker-Sniper.

Quinn just needs to get over the hump of worrying about making a mistake, and start finding open ice to unleash his lethal shot.

with Quinn it’s about him taking time to adjust. I think it’s better mentally to tell him we aren’t going to press box you And not have that hanging over him.
Pliut is probably going to play enough games to be waiver-eligable. If the D gets healthy, they will either have to try and sneak FItzgerald through waivers, or make a trade. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself and the Sabres D will be banged up all season.

i haven’t heard the injury time line on either. If Joki is going to be long then does some trade for RD rental occur?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The only scenario where it might be on the table is if we decide to keep Comrie (and spend 4.5 a year on him) and Power gets a long-er bridge at like 7.5 or something.

Our goalie costs will be pretty low for a while. Like for the next 4 or 5 years. The reason buyout for Skinner is bad is, it will put stress on the cap when we have to start paying Levi/UPL big-ish money in 6 years.

Buyout of Skinner as it stands is unnecessary and mostly detrimental to cup contender rosters in the future. Its theoretically possible if he turns into a lousy, or replacement level player.

Right now the cap is fine for the next 5 years. Olofsson won't be around for another contract, and there is some cost control on the RFAs. For example, not all of Cozens/Krebs/Peterka/Quinn will be getting 5+ year deals. A couple of them will be looking at 2 or 3 year deals.

I was thinking Skinner buy out for quite some time. But moving Eichel/Reinhart and having two (maybe three!) cap floor teams really changed the landscape.

Skinners contract ends in 5 yrs. They have a bunch of fed prospects/ ELCs thry can bridge till when his contract ends.

it also gives the team to sort out the forwards on this team and who is what and where.

I don’t see need to buy him out. With the young players on ELCs and prospects you evaluate themby putting thrm on bridge contracts to when Skinner is done.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Skinner has been worse than Olofsson.

And if the idea is that Olofsson is expendable and will be traded this year or next they should keep him in the lineup to boost his value.

Skinner has no value to boost as he is un-tradeable.

Glad to see so many other posters contemplating a Skinner buyout. We don't need the cap space yet, but we do already need the roster spot. Cap savings would be maximized if he's bought out this coming Summer.

We know that Skinner won't accept or embrace a bottom 6 role, so there's no hope of bumping him down the line up and just riding out the contract like with Okposo.

:deadhorse

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Rather sneak Sheahan thru...

Buffalo isn’t very deep on LW or C. This would get two birds stoned at once.

He also has good metrics on a poor team drawing almost exclusively shut down duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad