Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Yeah. On an Olympic team.

If you have Bogo on a 3rd pair it means your team d is stacked and you're probably in the process of winning your 3rd Cup.

I like Bogo. Certainly more than some on this board who think he's a bum.

You're vastly overrating him.

Pushing Bogo down to the 3rd pairing is exactly the sort of thing cup winners get to do.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I like Bogo. Certainly more than some on this board who think he's a bum.

You're vastly overrating him.

Pushing Bogo down to the 3rd pairing is exactly the sort of thing cup winners get to do.

No its not. It's impossible. Chicago went thru with basically playing 2 pair because their 3rd was just bad. Who does Tampa have on their 3rd? Pitt? St louis? San Jose?.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Georges-Bogosian would make for a nice third pairing.

I think if they started out with Gorges - Bogo as a 2nd and McCabe - Pysyk as a 3rd, by mid season McCabe - Pysyk would earn 2nd pair.

McCabe and Pysyk are good together. Just a good mesh of talents.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I was a big fan of Bogo like everybody his first partial year with us. Didn't really like him much the 2nd year. That being said, you don't pay 3rd pairing defesemen that much money.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I love Bogo. Don't be a hater. He started slow because of injury but finished like a beast.

A hater? I love Bogo's personality on ice. I'm judging him on his performance. He was bad for most of the season. Was a mistake waiting to happen. He finished strong. Good. I hope he gets back to how he was playing last year. Doesn't make me a "hater".

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I don't think any of our defense played well in the roles asked of them. Even Ristolainen, but he had the toughest job every night.

Part of the reason, maybe most of the reason was Dan Bylsma's pairings.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think if they started out with Gorges - Bogo as a 2nd and McCabe - Pysyk as a 3rd, by mid season McCabe - Pysyk would earn 2nd pair.

agree with the Pysyk and McCabe pairing potential...make this a thing. They look great together. If thats our 3rd pairing because we added a few guys on the back end I'll be happy as hell....

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

I'd see it more as a 2A-2B situation, pretty comfortable with both those pairings.

Also disagree with Risto not performing in his role, he was a beast in the first half of the season.

The idea of putting one of our RHDs on Risto's left is also intriguing, Bogo looked good there and Pysyk might too. Doubt Bylsma goes for it for any length of time though.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'm going to sit back and enjoy people deciding that our only good d playing the hardest minutes and situations had a poor second half while the team magically won at a higher rate than they have in years.

Because...points?

Go pop in tapes of him all over Lucic and Ovi and try to remember.

Also...come on on Bogosian. If he's in his own end its a problem. He gets paid too much to not be able to move a puck a foot forward.

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I'm going to sit back and enjoy people deciding that our only good d playing the hardest minutes and situations had a poor second half while the team magically won at a higher rate than they have in years.

Because...points?

Go pop in tapes of him all over Lucic and Ovi and try to remember

Come on, everyone who watched the games saw that he did not play as well in the second half, it's not just about points. The team "magically" won more because it wasn't carried by 2 players like in the first half. Larsson was better, Kane was better, Bogo was better, Sam and Jack were better, Foligno was better etc. That's why the team won more despite ROR and Risto not playing as well.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Come on, everyone who watched the games saw that he did not play as well in the second half, it's not just about points. The team "magically" won more because it wasn't carried by 2 players like in the first half. Larsson was better, Kane was better, Bogo was better, Sam and Jack were better, Foligno was better etc. That's why the team won more despite ROR and Risto not playing as well.

So it's "because... points"

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Because...points?

Go pop in tapes of him all over Lucic and Ovi and try to remember.

Also...come on on Bogosian. If he's in his own end its a problem. He gets paid too much to not be able to move a puck a foot forward.

You are going way overboard with your criticism of Bogo. He has a great outlet pass and is able to skate the puck out.

His problems last year were more positioning and losing guys in the zone

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
You are going way overboard with your criticism of Bogo. He has a great outlet pass and is able to skate the puck out.

Bogo certainly had his gaffes last year. But he is a really good skater (especially straight up), and he has enough puck skills to give an accurate outlet pass. His stretch passes are not that accurate imo and his not a particularly good puck handler.

But there are not that many defenders in the league who are as mobile, strong, aggressive and physical at the same time.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bogo certainly had his gaffes last year. But he is a really good skater (especially straight up), and he has enough puck skills to give an accurate outlet pass. His stretch passes are not that accurate imo and his not a particularly good puck handler.

But there are not that many defenders in the league who are as mobile, strong, aggressive and physical at the same time.

Stretch passes I agree.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I don't think any of our defense played well in the roles asked of them. Even Ristolainen, but he had the toughest job every night.

Part of the reason, maybe most of the reason was Dan Bylsma's pairings.

What would you have done differently?

Yep. Moving the puck isn't Bogo's issue.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I wonder if we could use the 8th pick in a deal to get zach werenski out of Columbus. They look pretty set on D with Jones/Murray/Carlson and others. Maybe they look to add up the middle and someone like Brown or Nylander catches there eye to go along with Puljujarvi

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I wonder if we could use the 8th pick in a deal to get zach werenski out of Columbus. They look pretty set on D with Jones/Murray/Carlson and others. Maybe they look to add up the middle and someone like Brown or Nylander catches there eye to go along with Puljujarvi

I like.

And I think you could definitely see a team like Columbus looking at a guy like Logan Brown. Coming away with Puljujarvi first, and then trading Werenski for Brown.... to address their rather barren future at center outside of Wennberg.

Very interesting proposal

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
But I've heard so many times that you draft the best player available, and then later trade that player to fill your glaring needs :sarcasm:
C'mon, that's so disingenuous.

If you think the defensemen are 2+ years from impacting your top four and there isn't a top four defenseman available for a top 8OA, drafting the better prospect puts you in a better overall situation in those same two years.

What worries me about all the D in this draft is the fallacy of assuming players with lower upside will hit that upside sooner.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
C'mon, that's so disingenuous.

If you think the defensemen are 2+ years from impacting your top four and there isn't a top four defenseman available for a top 8OA, drafting the better prospect puts you in a better overall situation in those same two years.

What worries me about all the D in this draft is the fallacy of assuming players with lower upside will hit that upside sooner.

There is no "better prospect" in the 4-12 range. It's about needs and fit at 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama