Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I wonder if we could use the 8th pick in a deal to get zach werenski out of Columbus. They look pretty set on D with Jones/Murray/Carlson and others. Maybe they look to add up the middle and someone like Brown or Nylander catches there eye to go along with Puljujarvi

Doubtful. There is a video of their GM at the draft table and he felt he was nearly as good as Hanafin. He's done nothing but continue to develop the last year. The issue in Columbus is that the franchise is bleeding money like a stuck pig.

Columbus is probably looking to dump salary, not young players.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I wonder if we could use the 8th pick in a deal to get zach werenski out of Columbus. They look pretty set on D with Jones/Murray/Carlson and others. Maybe they look to add up the middle and someone like Brown or Nylander catches there eye to go along with Puljujarvi

I like.

And I think you could definitely see a team like Columbus looking at a guy like Logan Brown. Coming away with Puljujarvi first, and then trading Werenski for Brown.... to address their rather barren future at center outside of Wennberg.

Very interesting proposal

I have a hard time believing Werenski is available.

10 points in 9 AHL playoff games makes me think you're right.

Yeah, we'd get laughed off CBJ's boards right now for even asking for Werenski. The Werenski hype train is presently traveling bullet-train speeds over there. Some of it is justified, however, as he just scored a point/game in the NCAA as an 18-year-old defenseman, and is now doing awesome in the AHL playoffs. If you created a poll on their thread about who would you rather have between Risto and Werenski, I'd be shocked if Risto got 30% of the vote. That's how high they are on Werenski.

There's no chance CBJ would trade Werenski for anything short of what we'd consider a laughable overpayment. You can pretty much expect Reinhart to be the piece asked for by CBJ fans.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

Why would Columbus basically swap picks in the exact same position from a lot stronger draft to a weaker draft when the player they picked has developed fine, and basically take a step back one year from development stand point?

They need to get better as soon as possible, and that kind of trade doesn't really help them in that regard.

But I've heard so many times that you draft the best player available, and then later trade that player to fill your glaring needs :sarcasm:

Yeah, poor Nashville. They should have taken Elias Lindholm. :cry:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yeah, poor Nashville. They should have taken Elias Lindholm. :cry:

1. Rare examples make nice anecdotal arguments, but don't make a case in regards to this draft
2. there was a clear tier in that draft, as there is in this one.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
1. Rare examples make nice anecdotal arguments, but don't make a case in regards to this draft

Jones wasn't even shopped... Poile said that he wasn't really looking to move Jones, but he got an appealing offer... You think no offers would have gone if he had been on the table publicly?

You have a clue why those top picks aren't moved that much despite teams obviously going for BPA most of the time? And when they do, they pretty much never are traded to players in the same draft year. Why could that be?

Luke Schenn was traded for JVR, Rundblad was traded for Tarasenko.

2. there was a clear tier in that draft, as there is in this one.

You mean similar to Laine/Pulju to Chychrun? And you mean it was a no-brainer to take Jones before Lindholm?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
And you mean it was a no-brainer to take Jones before Lindholm?

Jones was in the mix right up until the last bit of the process. NHLCS had him the #1 ranked NA skater.

Jones was on a separate tier from Lindholm......and is one of the better examples lately of taking BPA when the player available is on a different tier than the others. Yes, Nashville needed a forward.....but Jones was on a different level than Lindholm. Taking Jones over Lindholm was indeed a no-brainer.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
What would you have done differently?

I would have put McCabe - Pysyk together and left it alone all year. Really the only pairing that could have had any chance to grow together.

Gorges - Bogosian is a good 2nd pairing. Keep them together all year.

Then probably Colaiacovo with Risto simply because we had no choice. He had the exact same job with another young 21-22 year old elite #1 in St Louis. Colaiacovo - Pietrangelo was very effective.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Jones wasn't even shopped... Poile said that he wasn't really looking to move Jones, but he got an appealing offer... You think no offers would have gone if he had been on the table publicly?

Awesome... we can just wait until a disgruntled, out of shape, LHD is being shopped. Or we can trade an elite core asset to fill a hole. neither approach is very appealing.

You have a clue why those top picks aren't moved that much despite teams obviously going for BPA most of the time?

Those picks aren't shopped because teams don't go BPA most of the time. They draft for need. And therefor don't shop their top young talent that they drafted to fill their core needs.

BPA is a myth, outside of where tiers of talent are separated (top 1-3ish, top 5ish, top 10ish, 1st round, 2nd round, etc.

And when they do, they pretty much never are traded to players in the same draft year. Why could that be?

I'm excited to hear the correlation youve drawn

Luke Schenn was traded for JVR, Rundblad was traded for Tarasenko.

So your example is that when we acquire a top winger in this draft, we'll be able to trade him for a ****** defensemen later?

You mean similar to Laine/Pulju to Chychrun? And you mean it was a no-brainer to take Jones before Lindholm?

nope.
I have Laine/Pulju in the tier above Chyc.

But in simple terms. I'd rather have Reinhart and Chyc/Juo/Serg than the hypothetical alternative Trade Return for Reinhart and Mythical BPA Forward drafted 8th overall.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Friedman just said on NHL Live that we are in the mix with CHI to sign Michal Kempny, the Czech dman who plays for Avangard in the K.

Lefty. I like his game. He's 25. It appeared he was close to joining the Blackhawks, per Dreger, but now it doesn't seem like that's a done deal.

Thoughts?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Friedman just said on NHL Live that we are in the mix with CHI to sign Michal Kempny, the Czech dman who plays for Avangard in the K.

Lefty. I like his game. He's 25. It appeared he was close to joining the Blackhawks, per Dreger, but now it doesn't seem like that's a done deal.

Thoughts?

Can you describe his game?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Thoughts?

Can't say I know anything about the player, but I'll like the signing regardless if Murray can pull it off. Free asset in a position of great need -- well, asset that only costs us a contract slot and a little cap space -- what's not to like?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Can you describe his game?

Can't say I know anything about the player, but I'll like the signing regardless if Murray can pull it off. Free asset in a position of great need -- well, asset that only costs us a contract slot and a little cap space -- what's not to like?

He can wheel. He has a little bit of Sekera to him, in that I've noticed his smart stick work in his zone and his capability to break out himself and/or lead a successful transition up ice, be it a first pass or a rush.

Basically, id call him "what we need," under the assumption that his game can flawlessly transition to NA, which is no sure thing.

I read as recently as three days ago that it was CHI or bust, but I think that rhetoric has softened.

He's a good mix of offense and defense.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Hah. From Bowman.... Basically what I thought, verbatim....

"He’s a mobile defenseman," Bowman said. "He’s got that mixture of offense and defense. I would call him a really well-rounded guy. He can defend well in his own end. Mobility, he’s a good skater. He can transition the puck. He can sort of play a well-rounded game, which I think as a defenseman, you’ve seen our team play a lot, you have to be able to defend for our coaches to be able to rely on you. He’s got that ability to sort of play both ways."

He stood out to me when I would watch the KHL on One1world... This was his first season there, and I think he was widely regarded as their top dman by a large margin

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Getting Kempny would be a bit of a coup. He's been linked to Chicago from everything I've read.

Seems like exactly what we need, if his game adapts well. Here's hoping.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Thoughts?

Tim Murray, tell us how you feel about non nordic european players?

I2g5t0j.jpg

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I can't find much in the way of highlights. If you've been watching the worlds, you should recognize him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad