Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
My point is getting him off the team if he's not able to do anything as an NHLer (and lets face it, how many slow guys resurrect their careers at 32-33 years old?), not just put him into the press box. That salary cap space has use.

I agree with that but I also think we are stuck with him for at least next year, I'd rather see that year with him in the press box and us going 4 lines deep then stacking the top 6 and playing with a dead weight line

I mean I also think its semi-moot because I'm not expect the influx of offensive talent to really fill out a deep 4 line roster, I'm actually hoping that we shed some offensive talent to ice a deep 3 pairing defense

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
My point is getting him off the team if he's not able to do anything as an NHLer (and lets face it, how many slow guys resurrect their careers at 32-33 years old?), not just put him into the press box. That salary cap space has use.

The best way is trading him and retaining half of his salary/cap hit. His cap hit post Eichel/Reinhart ELC's would only be 2.5mil. And its just for year. Buyouts in the summer of 2017 (3.833mil cap hit) or summer 2018 (3.666mil cap hit) will be much higher cap hits for that year.

The obvious question becomes, Even with his cap hit down to 2.5mil, would anyone trade for him? Our best hope is he becomes serviceable on a line and starts scoring on the PP.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
The best way is trading him and retaining half of his salary/cap hit. His cap hit post Eichel/Reinhart ELC's would only be 2.5mil. And its just for year. Buyouts in the summer of 2017 (3.833mil cap hit) or summer 2018 (3.666mil cap hit) will be much higher cap hits for that year.

The obvious question becomes, Even with his cap hit down to 2.5mil, would anyone trade for him? Our best hope is he becomes serviceable on a line and starts scoring on the PP.

I think the cupboards are depleted enough that we can't afford to pay other teams to take on what we would essentially be declaring dead weight

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think the cupboards are depleted enough that we can't afford to pay other teams to take on what we would essentially be declaring dead weight

If he can be a 13-16 goal 30pt guy with most points on PP and is serviceable at ES. It may be possible to trade him as a 2.5mil player. But that's a couple of ifs

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Every game Backes plays, increases my desire to sign him... even when I'm totally against investing in forwards right now... I can't help it.

Backes-Oreilly-Eichel
Kane-Reinhart-Ennis
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
XXXX-Girgensons-XXXX

I like Backes too. But no way I'm giving him more than 3 years. Someone will give him 5.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Has anyone seen any articles on how expansion or ads on jerseys could effect the salary cap?

HRR (hockey related revenue) is what counts towards the cap. Expansion fee's aren't considered that. I'd imagine jersey ads WOULD be as in arena advertising counts as HRR.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
HRR (hockey related revenue) is what counts towards the cap. Expansion fee's aren't considered that. I'd imagine jersey ads WOULD be as in arena advertising counts as HRR.

Gotcha. A quick search I found that the 2011/12 HRR was $3.3B. The 76ers announcement today has them getting $5M/yr for their ads. So if we say for the NHL each team gets half that, that comes to an extra $75M/yr.

So if you guess that the latest numbers are closer to $3.5B, that's about +2%. +2% on the cap is about $1.5M. Not too bad.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Are ads on jerseys confirmed?

Not at all. But you gotta figure with the NBA starting next season, the NFL won't be too far behind. And from there it seems inevitable. Can't imagine owners are going to turn down essentially free money, especially if it's millions per year.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not at all. But you gotta figure with the NBA starting next season, the NFL won't be too far behind. And from there it seems inevitable. Can't imagine owners are going to turn down essentially free money, especially if it's millions per year.

Not that it matters much, but the NBA patches are starting in 2017-18 and not next season.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The idea of the Larsson line as a "4th" line is only possible if Moulson goes away.

That plays into my plans if I were GM. Feed Moulson good minutes with Reinhart or Eichel, and 1PP time. Pump him up anyway possible, then try to deal him.

The back-up plan is the expansion draft. I'd keep both 2017 2nd rounders, the 2017 3rd rounder, and then move Franson at the TDL for another 3rd. I'd be prepared to max offer a 2nd, 3rd, and either Baptiste or Cornel to selection Moulson.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
A bit longer term, but my expansion draft plan:

2017 1st: used as part of deal to acquire LHD.

Trade to select Moulson: max offer of 2017 2nd and 3rd plus Baptiste.
Trade to drive other expansion team's pick: 2017 2nd (MIN), 2017 3rd (Franson trade at TDL), Cornel.

Possibly move Ennis to recoup draft picks (if he recovers and plays well by TDL).

At worst, it's a lost draft, but keep the team intact and moves Moulson. The selection deals are max as well. I'd offer short of that deal initially but prepare to increase the offer as needed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
A bit longer term, but my expansion draft plan:

2017 1st: used as part of deal to acquire LHD.

Trade to select Moulson: max offer of 2017 2nd and 3rd plus Baptiste.
Trade to drive other expansion team's pick: 2017 2nd (MIN), 2017 3rd (Franson trade at TDL), Cornel.

Possibly move Ennis to recoup draft picks (if he recovers and plays well by TDL).

At worst, it's a lost draft, but keep the team intact and moves Moulson. The selection deals are max as well. I'd offer short of that deal initially but prepare to increase the offer as needed.

If I were an expansion GM, I'd take McCabe or Pysyk over Moulson + filler.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Tyson Barrie

There's a nice rumor going around that the Avalanche are not willing to pay him what he is worth.also that the Sabres are at least one team looking into trading for him.
So what would it take to get him to Buffalo .I know he is a right handed shot but I would still love to get him

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Nothing until LHD is fixed. Having Barrie bump Bogosian down to bottom pair does nothing that meaningful for us while Gorges is still playing top pairing minutes.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
There's a nice rumor going around that the Avalanche are not willing to pay him what he is worth.also that the Sabres are at least one team looking into trading for him.
So what would it take to get him to Buffalo .I know he is a right handed shot but I would still love to get him

Is there a link to the rumor where Buffalo is involved?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Well other than taking a pretty bad player and giving his minutes to a really good one. The less watching Bogosian try to move a puck out of his end the better off everyone is.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Well other than taking a pretty bad player and giving his minutes to a really good one. The less watching Bogosian try to move a puck out of his end the better off everyone is.

We gave up half a draft for Bogo like literally a year ago. He's in the top 4 until someone in-system pushes him out. I'm not shopping for his replacement, we're gonna have to suck on it.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Yeah it'd be nice that Barrie would bump Bogo down, but LHD is such a glaring need that I'd rather not give up assets for Barrie that could be used to acquire LHD.

Unless, you know, Murray could sign Campbell or Yandle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad