Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
As of now Nashville has about $20.5M in recapture penalty hanging over their heads if the traded him this off season. He's 31 at the start of next season with 10 yrs left on the contract.

Sure recapture rules could change in the next CBA.. The concern is if he retires or is bought out with just 1-2 yrs left in the contract which mean Nashville has $10M in dead space with 2 yrs, or $20 in one yeAr. If he retires in 5 yrs , then the recapture will be more manageable at $4M per.

For a trade it likely be Nurse and RNH and a 1st for Weber. Nurse had more value than Klefbom because of expansion exemption.

I'd flip Nash and Kane.

It depends on what contract Yandle gets.

By my estimation buffalo would have $12 M and 3 open spots (2F, and 1D) before acquiring Yandle and Nash.

Nash at $8M and Yandle at $6M means buffalo would need to unload Franson.

If they were to resign Legwand or a vet Depth forward at $1M per...that would put them near the cap after trading Franson. $15M coming in and $3.25M going out.

I would look to move Franson. Also, couldn't we simply waive Matt Moulson? I really don't need him. That would save cap right?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Every game Backes plays, increases my desire to sign him... even when I'm totally against investing in forwards right now... I can't help it.

Backes-Oreilly-Eichel
Kane-Reinhart-Ennis
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
XXXX-Girgensons-XXXX

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Anyone else concerned about the Risto offersheet if we don't get this thing locked up before July 1? Edmonton has the space and has about run out of patience, needs RHD badly.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Anyone else concerned about the Risto offersheet if we don't get this thing locked up before July 1? Edmonton has the space and has about run out of patience, needs RHD badly.

no, why would we be? we can afford anything anyone would realistically throw at him

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Well, obviously other teams figure what we can comfortably afford and offer something uncomfortable. That's how offersheets work.

uncomfortable for us to afford is a ridiculous offer sheet that no would be comfortable with, other teams aren't thrashing their own cap to offer sheet players

any offer sheet you think of that would be uncomfortable to Buffalo would be uncomfortable to every other team in the nhl

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Every game Backes plays, increases my desire to sign him... even when I'm totally against investing in forwards right now... I can't help it.

Backes-Oreilly-Eichel
Kane-Reinhart-Ennis
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
XXXX-Girgensons-XXXX

Me too.

Signing Stamkos would grab headlines. But, signing Backes makes the team much better, IMO.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Random thought on Stamkos.

I wonder if Disco likes the idea of signing him. It would give him a rough equivalent to his center set up with the Pens. Crosby/Malkin/Staal vs Stamkos/Eichel/ROR

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I wonder if Disco likes the idea of signing him. It would give him a rough equivalent to his center set up with the Pens. Crosby/Malkin/Staal vs Stamkos/Eichel/ROR
Valid. But if he really wanted that sort of setup couldn't he have it long term with Eichel/Reinhart/ROR? Albeit Reinhart and Mallon are very different players, but same setup.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Or he could go Eichel/O'Reilly/Reinhart and have a trio with two quality 2-way guys and an elite offensive catalyst?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I gotta think IF we enter the Stamkos arena, the biggest driver will be one Terrance Pegula.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Or he could go Eichel/O'Reilly/Reinhart and have a trio with two quality 2-way guys and an elite offensive catalyst?

I like this set-up. Should be no surprise watching LA and Chicago winning Cup with four lines, but three good lines with good centers is necessary.

Kane - O'Reilly - AAA
BBB - Eichel - CCC
XXX - Reinhart - YYY
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Fill in the blanks with Ennis, Girgensons, Fasching, Carrier, Bailey...... Vesey?.... Eriksson?..... Backus?.... Stamkos?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like this set-up. Should be no surprise watching LA and Chicago winning Cup with four lines, but three good lines with good centers is necessary.

Kane - O'Reilly - AAA
BBB - Eichel - CCC
XXX - Reinhart - YYY

Fill in the blanks with Ennis, Girgensons, Fasching, Carrier, Bailey...... Vesey?.... Eriksson?..... Backus?.... Stamkos?

The idea of the Larsson line as a "4th" line is only possible if Moulson goes away.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

That thought was just something that popped into my head based on Disco's previous experience and the talk of Stamkos. Not really something I want to see. I much prefer the center group idea you have. In fact, I would really like to see it this up coming season.

If we actually signed Stamkos I would want him either on wing or replacing Eichel's center spot with Jack to the wing. But keeping ROR and Reinhart as the other two centers.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Valid. But if he really wanted that sort of setup couldn't he have it long term with Eichel/Reinhart/ROR? Albeit Reinhart and Malkin are very different players, but same setup.

That's the reason it wouldn't be the same. The old Pens set up was two scoring lines with a shutdown line. ROR and Reinhart as two of the top 3 centers is essentially what we have now and gives us two matchup lines with one scoring line.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Well, obviously other teams figure what we can comfortably afford and offer something uncomfortable. That's how offersheets work.

Anything that makes us uncomfortable matching would net us 4 first round picks. Not an ideal situation, but I would think TM could spin those extra firsts (from Edmonton, naught) into a suitable replacement.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Backes-Oreilly-Eichel
Kane-Reinhart-Ennis
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
XXXX-Girgensons-XXXX

This is too smart for Bylsma. He won't do it.

XXXX - O'Reilly - Eichel
Kane - Reinhart - Ennis
XXXX - Girgensons - XXXX

Eichel scores 40 next year IMO.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
i think ice time and effective line combos (ya right, effective line combos Dan :laugh:) are more valuable than his cap space

My point is getting him off the team if he's not able to do anything as an NHLer (and lets face it, how many slow guys resurrect their careers at 32-33 years old?), not just put him into the press box. That salary cap space has use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad