Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
People keep saying stuff like this. You don't think there'll be new dead weight?

One of the talking points in the pro ridiculous-contract-for-Stamkos camp was that they'd rather have him at 13m than Moulson, Gorges and Gionta at their price. And that's great -- me too -- but you don't get to re-spend money you've already spent, and you can't trade a bad contract without a trading partner.

In fact, I would say that from a labor-relations standpoint, those 3 horrible contracts MUST be honored, and are more beneficial to the organization than Stamkos could be. Two guys that *wanted* to be here, and one that waived a NMC. If an employers word can't be trusted today, it becomes harder to recruit tomorrow.

I agree with this but hate that I do because I'd ship all 3 out tomorrow without batting an eye. Okay maybe not Gionta but you get my drift...maybe Gionta too lol

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I get the logic. Buffalo had to do a lot to get Eichel and Reinhart. Personally, I'm going to be protective of the core. I'm not willing to make any moves to jeopardize them. Especially not for Yandle or Nash.

In a few years, with dead weight off the books and the entire core locked into long term deals, I'm down for these types of moves.

Nash is not worth his cap hit, but his contract is off the books when we need to re-sign players in that scenario. You had Nash, Kane, Girgs and McCabe contracts expiring. Gorges and Gionta already off the books. By that time you have a lot better grasp on what we should expect from guys like 2016 1st round pick, Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste, Borgen, Guhle, Nelson etc... You see how many of those cost controlled players are able to replace the guys looking for raises. Getting a guy like Yandle with 4 year contracts is okay, if you don't include clauses there (or at least not too restricting). Frontloading contracts, you increase the chances of being able to trade those.

Keeping Eichel and Reinhart won't be a problem cap wise - you shred from somewhere else. Only contract that likely will be trouble some is Moulson - but it is anyway.

Even with the team posted, we're most likely not going to win the cup in two years. Nash and Yandle are not the difference makers. But they both bring something this team needs. Nash is declining and not worth his contract. But he fits the team. He is better two-way player than he gets credit for and his offense is good enough for top-6 role. He has never played with a center like Eichel or even ROR IMO. He is big and has good mobility. He would definitely make this team better. How long and much we have talked about "overpaying for talent for one or two years"? That's exactly what it would be. If you have a choice of paying David Backes 6,8x6 or Nash 7,8x2, I don't think there is any reason you choose the former.

The sooner we get the team in the playoffs to make damage, the more experience the team will have playing in playoffs - the more likely we will eventually win the cup.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I think most of us would be fine with getting Nash for cheap if the blueline issues are adressed first.
Can't see the rangers moving both Yandle and Nash.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I think most of us would be fine with getting Nash for cheap if the blueline issues are adressed first.
Can't see the rangers moving both Yandle and Nash.

Yandle is a pending UFA.

I'm pretty sure Rangers will be hard after Stamkos (for some reason Rangers is not that much speculated being his final destination despite their ability to lure big names regularly and big names wanting to go there), and they will need cap space to keep some of their current players.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Yandle is a pending UFA.

I'm pretty sure Rangers will be hard after Stamkos (for some reason Rangers is not that much speculated being his final destination despite their ability to lure big names regularly and big names wanting to go there), and they will need cap space to keep some of their current players.

Eh. I can't see Stamkos picking NYR. Their window for contention is closing. I get the lure wanting to play in NYC....but, Rangers will probably be embarking on a long rebuild if not next year, the year after.

The NYI however....that'd be an interesting choice.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Nash - O'Reilly - Ennis
Kane - Eichel - Reinhart
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta
Moulson - Girgensons - Rodrigues

Yandle - Ristolainen
Gorges - Bogosian
McCabe - Pysyk

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Eh. I can't see Stamkos picking NYR. Their window for contention is closing. I get the lure wanting to play in NYC....but, Rangers will probably be embarking on a long rebuild if not next year, the year after.

The NYI however....that'd be an interesting choice.

Zero chance NYR commits into a rebuild.

They are Sui Generis of this league. They are perhaps the only team in this league which still operates pretty much how they did before the cap and they keep themselves relatively competitive. They acquire top tier talent via trade or free agency and they're not afraid to burn future assets or money. They know that players want to come there, so they can keep doing what they're doing.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I wonder who has more value currently, Foligno or Girgensons.

Foligno is a bit more of a known quantity who has accepted his role as a physical checking line forward. However, you have think his play down the stretch turned a few heads.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Zero chance NYR commits into a rebuild.

They are Sui Generis of this league. They are perhaps the only team in this league which still operates pretty much how they did before the cap and they keep themselves relatively competitive. They acquire top tier talent via trade or free agency and they're not afraid to burn future assets or money. They know that players want to come there, so they can keep doing what they're doing.

They were competitive with an all world goalie and an awesome blueline. Both of those things are no longer there, and the prospect pipeline is .... Not good. They're about to hit a rough patch.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Deal girgensons for a LHD upgrade (I feel we need to pursue 2 imo) and I love the lines. I'd also resign legwand

This is my thing, why are we rushing this rebuild? Let's stop trading away everything and try to build now. We have our building pieces, hopefully 8th brings that LHD piece.

Guys like Pysyk, Girgensons, McCabe, and even Ennis have more potential than they have shown. Why sell off now? Their value won't get any lower. Wait another year and see where there games go. Trades will always be there.

If by chance you are offered a great deal then jump at it, but let's not force it.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I wonder who has more value currently, Foligno or Girgensons.

Foligno is a bit more of a known quantity who has accepted his role as a physical checking line forward. However, you have think his play down the stretch turned a few heads.

Girgensons AINEC, I'd have to think.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
They were competitive with an all world goalie and an awesome blueline. Both of those things are no longer there, and the prospect pipeline is .... Not good. They're about to hit a rough patch.

I think Rangers have been pretty long in a situation where their prospect pool has been brutal, and they have been about to hit a rough patch. But they still somehow manage to find a way to get Martin St.Louis caliber players to their team. It's a possibility that they actually hit hard, but I doubt they will change their course of action (despite Sather not being the GM anymore).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hopefully Murray avoids taking on one of the NMC contracts from the Rangers this year. Make them suffer with all of those.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Is there any way we can get Killorn out of TB? Watching him in the playoffs, he seems almost like a super-Girgensons. Versatile, high energy player with a strong defensive game, but has more offensive skill than Girgs. I know it's a bit of a long shot, but TKO, Hedman, and possibly Bishop all need to get paid. (I'm assuming they don't re-up Stammer.) That being said, I could easily see Yzerman letting Bishop walk, rolling with Vasi/a random backup, and using the savings to give Killorn a raise.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is there any way we can get Killorn out of TB? Watching him in the playoffs, he seems almost like a super-Girgensons. Versatile, high energy player with a strong defensive game, but has more offensive skill than Girgs. I know it's a bit of a long shot, but TKO, Hedman, and possibly Bishop all need to get paid. (I'm assuming they don't re-up Stammer.) That being said, I could easily see Yzerman letting Bishop walk, rolling with Vasi/a random backup, and using the savings to give Killorn a raise.

He seems like a possible cap casualty if they re-sign Stamkos. That was what, four, maybe five roster threads back. :D

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He seems like a possible cap casualty if they re-sign Stamkos. That was what, four, maybe five roster threads back. :D

:laugh: figured it had been discussed before, given the Stammer fixation.
To me, getting Killorn would 100% make Ennis expendable and also would be a good piece to have in case E.Kane asks for stupid money once his contract is up.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Has Nash ever helped a team contend?

I get that the 2 year cap window makes Nash attractive... but his game is going to fall off a cliff, and I'd rather not be holding the 8 million dollar bag in 12 months.
I will be floored if he's not a 55-60 point two-way forward and unquestionably positive ES player for the next two seasons.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I liked sabredance's but made a few changes, just for kicks (changes in bold). Not sure I'm on board with signing this many (or any) of the big UFA's but just wanted to see what it could theoretically look like :)

Kane - O'Reilly - Nash/Stamkos
Vesey - Eichel - Reinhart
Moulson - Girgensons - Ennis
(x-Baily/Fasching)

Yandle - Ristolainen
Gorges - Bogosian
McCabe - Pysyk
(x-Franson, x-Nelson/Chychrun)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Assuming that Nashville cares about recapture. Any potentially debilitating recapture penalty for Nashville would take place after the next CBA, so who knows what provisions will be in place by then. Maybe they remove the recapture rule entirely. Besides, if Weber does prove to be going downhill and fast, he's a buyout candidate in 2022. And let's say he retired before the current CBA expired, then the recapture penalty means absolutely nothing to a team like Nashville that isn't close to the cap.

That said, maybe Nashville does care about the recapture penalties, it's certainly possible. Maybe they don't want to move him anyway. Still, it's not a situation like Chicago and Hossa where recapture means the player is absolutely unmovable. Chicago had to deal with potential recapture issues as soon as about two seasons from now. Between Nashville not being a cap team, and a new CBA (along with new buy-outs) before Weber's recapture penalty would really be damaging, and there are reasons that recapture won't necessarily scare Nashville off of making a move.

As of now Nashville has about $20.5M in recapture penalty hanging over their heads if the traded him this off season. He's 31 at the start of next season with 10 yrs left on the contract.

Sure recapture rules could change in the next CBA.. The concern is if he retires or is bought out with just 1-2 yrs left in the contract which mean Nashville has $10M in dead space with 2 yrs, or $20 in one yeAr. If he retires in 5 yrs , then the recapture will be more manageable at $4M per.

For a trade it likely be Nurse and RNH and a 1st for Weber. Nurse had more value than Klefbom because of expansion exemption.

Nash - O'Reilly - Ennis
Kane - Eichel - Reinhart
Moulson - Girgensons - Rodrigues

Yandle - Ristolainen
Gorges - Bogosian
McCabe - Pysyk

I'd flip Nash and Kane.

It depends on what contract Yandle gets.

By my estimation buffalo would have $12 M and 3 open spots (2F, and 1D) before acquiring Yandle and Nash.

Nash at $8M and Yandle at $6M means buffalo would need to unload Franson.

If they were to resign Legwand or a vet Depth forward at $1M per...that would put them near the cap after trading Franson. $15M coming in and $3.25M going out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad