Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Barrie being available is why I hated overpaying for Lehner or tacking on the unnecessary 1st/Armia to the Kane trade. Would be great to have a Colin White to use as a trading chip right about now.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Barrie being available is why I hated overpaying for Lehner or tacking on the unnecessary 1st/Armia to the Kane trade. Would be great to have a Colin White to use as a trading chip right about now.
I don't care at all about Barrie, but I've always kinda thought Murray overvalued getting "his" NHL players on the post tank roster ASAP relative to information gathering about roster holes and having a few more assets to spend more intelligently. If Minny or the Ducks make deals for their UFA D elsewhere, that will definitely be why.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I don't care at all about Barrie, but I've always kinda thought Murray overvalued getting "his" NHL players on the post tank roster ASAP relative to information gathering about roster holes and having a few more assets to spend more intelligently. If Minny or the Ducks make deals for their UFA D elsewhere, that will definitely be why.
Yeah it's not so much about Barrie that I care. I'm not that high on him to be honest. But I just don't see us landing any of the potential defensemen available this summer. Having a Colin White level of expendable prospect to trade would have gone a long way to being in the conversation. Unless a team REALLY likes Justin Bailey and the progress he made then I don't see much happening.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah it's not so much about Barrie that I care. I'm not that high on him to be honest. But I just don't see us landing any of the potential defensemen available this summer. Having a Colin White level of expendable prospect to trade would have gone a long way to being in the conversation. Unless a team REALLY likes Justin Bailey and the progress he made then I don't see much happening.

Plus there's a good possibility of a lot of capable Goalies being shook loose this year

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'd imagine that's got Edmonton and the 4th overall pick written all over it. I don't see how we'd beat that, but I can definitely see Murray kicking the tires. Barrie would be a great pickup.

Edmonton trading 4th overall for Tyson freaking Barrie will get all the LOLz.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm not saying it has to be Yandle, but this team needs some puck-movers on the back end. I was sick over the weekend so I watched a few of the DVR'd games from this season - they ran the gamut from good games to stinkers - and I don't think enough people realize how poor the defense corps is at transitioning from defense to offense, and getting the puck up ice.

Yep. Ever time I watch Juolevi transition the puck, I think of the impact he'd have on the Sabres' blue line.

OK with Yandle but nervous about cost. Goligoski would be cheaper. Bouwmeester might make a good partner for Ristolainen in the short run.

I don't think Murray will have enough of what Minnesota or Anaheim wants for their defenseman. I think a deal might be there for Sanheim....but it would cost a bit.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'd much rather spend cap space on Yandle to help shore up the left side than spend cap space AND trade assets further confusing the right side by acquiring Barrie.

Deleted member 27798

I agree and thought that TM overpayed on both deals, and even though ROR was great last year and will continue to be great, I thought he also overpayed in that deal.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Regardless of who the target is, I'm pretty sure of one thing: Murray will go after the guy he wants, send a lot in order to get him, and HF will complain he overpaid. :laugh:

I agree and thought that TM overpayed on both deals, and even though ROR was great last year and will continue to be great, I thought he also overpayed in that deal.

g1380237020332471763.jpg

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Yeah, for sure I'd do this. Posters are always whining that our offense struggles because our defense can't move the puck, which there is truth in, but then say we can't go after him because he's not a good defender. Talking out of both sides of their mouth. Unless you are getting a no. 1 defensemen, you aren't getting both, but Yandle is elite as a puck mover.
Unless you think players like Chris Tanev are #1s, you don't always have to sacrifice defense for puck movement. Also, Yandle doesn't just fail the eye test as a defender, or happen to be on the ice for a lot of goals against by playing a lot, he has really bad shot suppression metrics for being so damn good in transition (and our top four is already pretty bad at actually defending).

Yandle becomes an interesting option if there are no Tanev types available, because then pretty much everyone has warts. He's the one available player guaranteed to meaningfully improve our offense and transition - Campbell is old, Goligoski might be completely fool's gold, none of Cam Fowler's stats are complimentary, Brodin is exclusively a shot suppressor, Scandella might be too safe, etc. He also doesn't cost assets.

My feelings on this change depending on the day, but I think overall I'd place a Yandle acquisition somewhere between either Wild defensemen (I'm bullish on both Brodin's defense and Scandella's quiet completeness) and the dudes I'm not really sure do anything in Fowler and Goligoski.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
But he gave up unproven futures for the leader and last year's best player on the team

Burn him.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/friedman-on-ducks-potential-contract-mindset/

Basically a part in there where there is speculation Bob Murray of Anaheim would try to get one or both of Lindholm & Vatanen to play next season under qualifying offers.

1. If that comes anywhere near reality, expect Tim Murray to be all over that. Could see Ristolainen getting a long term deal and Lindholm seeing Buffalo as a viable option for himself long term.

2. This also makes it clear in my mind, that the Anaheim organization A) is focused on long-term viable success (playoffs), not necessarily Stanley Cups. And B) they view Cam Fowler as their #1 defenseman out of all those players and that at $4M he is the ultimate steal for an internal budget team.

Again, this is all speculation, but Tim Murray has been waiting for this kind of thing to line up for himself ever since he became GM, and if it does come to pass, expect him to be front and center.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/friedman-on-ducks-potential-contract-mindset/

Basically a part in there where there is speculation Bob Murray of Anaheim would try to get one or both of Lindholm & Vatanen to play next season under qualifying offers.

Again, this is all speculation, but Tim Murray has been waiting for this kind of thing to line up for himself ever since he became GM, and if it does come to pass, expect him to be front and center.

I'm getting a bit wet just thinking about this possibly happening. This might be a really interesting off season.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
"You I know what I have a theory on what Bob could do"

Don't take it too seriously lol

Murray has himself said that long term deals are not his preference. If Lindholm wants a bigger contract (and his own comments indicate that way), he just waits for an offersheet.

I love the confidence Ducks fans have regarding their players not being moved despite many obvious facts. First it was Fowler definitely not being moved. All the possibilites seem quite possible, in reality.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I don't like the idea of Yandle either for reasons mentioned. Of course, he would bring a lot good to the table as well. One of the best puck movers and PP QBs on the league.

I would welcome a heavily front loaded 4 year deal with no NTC/MC. After couple of seasons you could pretty easily move him thanks to his lower salary compared to his cap hit. I just don't think he accepts that kind of deal.

TM didn't overpay for ROR, if anything he goddamn stole the guy.

Would you still say the same, if we were reading reports about ROR entering free agency and Toronto being the most likely destination?

Because that's exactly what could have happened. ROR wasn't traded with 8 years left on his contract.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
Murray has himself said that long term deals are not his preference. If Lindholm wants a bigger contract (and his own comments indicate that way), he just waits for an offersheet.

I love the confidence Ducks fans have regarding their players not being moved despite many obvious facts. First it was Fowler definitely not being moved. All the possibilites seem quite possible, in reality.
You don't move Reinhart because you have eichel. Its the same for the ducks Ds. Everyone knows vatanen will be moved. Why would they move an elite young D in lindholm? And Murray never said that. He said he wants to stop giving away NMCs.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Edmonton talk radio has their fans interested in Shea Weber until his game-7 meltdown or Carolina's Justin Faulk.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
You don't move Reinhart because you have eichel. Its the same for the ducks Ds. Everyone knows vatanen will be moved. Why would they move an elite young D in lindholm? And Murray never said that. He said he wants to stop giving away NMCs.

The teams here are not operating under same circumstances. Buffalo can pay 200 millions actual salary and it doesn't really matter. Ducks has to keep their yearly salary expenditures pretty low. Like I posted a calculation on your board, Ducks are paying almost 7 millions more to the same players who are under a contract. You add guys like Lindholm, Vatanen etc looking for big raises, you need to make choices or you need to take risks (like exposing Lindholm to an offersheet).

Murray did talk about long term deals and clauses. But he said:

"I can say that now it’s going to be difficult. Some of my younger players are not going to want to hear that," said Murray. "It ends up being not good for the player and the team at some point. I’m not talking about us right now, but when you look at what’s happened in other places, where players get to this point, at certain points, it doesn’t work out good for anybody."

He talks specifically about young guys. Guy like Lindholm cannot have any clause on his contract for the next 4 seasons, so he's obviously talking about the length of the contract, as well.

And here what Lindholm has said:

“I think any player in the league wants security. Whenever we start talking I’ll have to see my options and whatever they want to do with me and what their plans for me are and my own plans for myself,” Lindholm said. “I can’t start talking about something that hasn’t happened yet. Whenever stuff starts going in the right direction I’ll think what my plans are and then I’ll know my place.”

That doesn't really sound like Lindholm is going easily accept a bridge deal.

If Lindholm actually gets into offersheet range, and Tim Murray for example offers him a heavily front loaded 5 year contract, where the first year is like +7 millions, B. Murray is going to have extremely tough time matching that.

The short answer is that B.Murray is operating under a difficult situation, and it seems he's ready to take a risky route in order to get everything sorted out. But it can, obviously, back fire big time.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I would rather overpay for Hampus Lindholm than Tyson Barrie. Tyson is a solid player, but he's not a for sure number one defensemen. Going hard at Yandle makes sense. There are plenty of areas the team could go.

Yandle-Ristolainen
Gorges-Bogosian
McCabe-Pysyk
Nelson

Looks alright to me, you could still look to upgrade over Gorges.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Toyed with capfriendly armchair tool...

With 74 million cap you could just get this line-up:

Kane - ROR - Nash
Vesey - Eichel - Girgs
Foligno - Reinhart - Ennis
Moulson - Larsson - Gionta
Des, Schaller

Lindholm - Risto
Yandle - Bogo
McCabe - Pysyk
Cola

Lehner
Rämö

Obviously a HUGE pipe dream.

Nash for a couple of 2nd to 3rd round picks, Vesey from FA, Girgs under a 1,75 two year bridge, Foligno for 2xx2 bridge, Des and Schall for 0,8x1 deal.

Lindholm via offersheet (yeah...), and Yandle with 4x6. Cola (preferably better, but anyway) for 0,6x1.

Rämö (or similar) with 0,6x1

Gorges to LA for picks and Franson to some team for picks.

So we keep our 1st 2016 and lose only from our current roster Gorges and Franson.

One can dream! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad