Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Yandle's D is suspect but pair him with a Defensive Dman and he'd be an elite 2nd LHD

I'm unsure how he'd do with Risto but I'd guess Risto would adapt.

We are lucky to have one of the best 2-way forwards in ROR along with Larsson, Reinhart and Girgs. Not to mention Kane also back checks so we may actually be safe picking up a "4th Forward"

I think the main issue is that he's not going to get paid like a second pairing defenseman.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm not saying it has to be Yandle, but this team needs some puck-movers on the back end. I was sick over the weekend so I watched a few of the DVR'd games from this season - they ran the gamut from good games to stinkers - and I don't think enough people realize how poor the defense corps is at transitioning from defense to offense, and getting the puck up ice.

I may be hoping for too much but Nelson really looks like he could be a huge help for us next season. I hope he's on Weight Gain 3000 and maybe goes and trains with the O'Reilly boys and their dad. ROR can even get some donuts at Timmy Ho's - he knows where it is.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I may be hoping for too much but Nelson really looks like he could be a huge help for us next season. I hope he's on Weight Gain 3000 and maybe goes and trains with the O'Reilly boys and their dad. ROR can even get some donuts at Timmy Ho's - he knows where it is.

Nelson being the real deal for us would be a huge addition in the form of basically a free draft pick. He should remain cost controllable for awhile and his offensive game definitely seems NHL ready or close to it. His defensive game however seemed a bit suspect. I'm hoping for more than a Ruhwedel v2.0 but the jury is still out on that...

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don't know how many shots the other team managed to get off when he was on the ice to judge him defensively. It wasn't many.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Nelson was definitely a pleasant surprise in the few games he played. Sample size isn't enough to take to the bank yet, though.

I'd 100% be behind pursuing Yandle this summer depending on what type of contract he's looking for. The guy has flaws, for sure, but he'd still be a massive upgrade on any of our current LHD and provide a much needed puck-mover on our blue line. I think he'd be a net positive for us.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Sure. We lost a 1st rounder back in the day (Heistein). Not sure why they didn't fix that loop hole in the 2 CBA revisions we've had in the last 11 years. Much like how you don't let regular UFAs get to June being unsigned ala Briere/Drury, treat college UFAs the same way. And ask them if they are OK with signing before their UFA year BEFORE you draft them.

There is no college loophole.

The way it's set up is that all players drafted will be under team control for about 4 yrs.

With Europe it's till 1 jun drsft year + 4

With CHL it's for 2 yrs, then they re-enter the draft for 2 more yrs of rights.

With college players with most they are starting college the next year after the draft, so their rights hold for 4 yrs. college players are shifted to august 15 because each college is different in their structure of when they graduate and how the college is structured. Since they can't be signed while in college it gives the team dome time to negotiate.

The "loop hole" you are refering to is the 4 yrs post draft 30 day clock. They still had their rights for 4 yrs and are given 30 days to sign him.

With college players it might be easier to be able to sign them to a deferred contract that kicks in only after they graduate/leave college

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I think you're overestimating what Bouwmeester would cost a bit. He's really taken a step back this year. He's not the skater he once was, and he doesn't have the hockey IQ to be as effective without it. Pietrangelo has really carried him. I'd guess you could get a deal done with picks alone, or picks and mediocre prospects. I'd absolutely take him here, given what we've got for LHD, but he's definitely not an ideal answer to our D woes, even in the short term.

Things I like about JayBo.

He is better than anyone we currently have partnered with Risto and would be an ideal candidate to slide down to the second pairing with BoGo. Plus there would be a really nice rhyming thing going on with JayBo and BoGo. It would give Ray fits. :laugh: He is an experienced player who can help players much like Georges was planned to. He locks the LHD for just long enough for Ghule or D we pick at 8OVA to move up. It does not preclude grabbing a real #1 LHD partner for Risto in the future.

Things I dislike.

His contract goes to 2018-19. One year after Jack, Sam, Fasching and EKane all need new deals so there may be cap issues further down the road past 2018-19 (bridge contract for a RFA). He really is not a true top pairing D man. His shot suppression numbers are downright bad. If you acquire JayBo there will be a log jam on D between McCabe, Psysk, and Georges for bottom pairing minutes. Also what would STL want in return?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

He is better than anyone we currently have partnered with Risto and would be an ideal candidate to slide down to the second pairing with BoGo. Plus there would be a really nice rhyming thing going on with JayBo and BoGo. It would give Ray fits. :laugh: He is an experienced player who can help players much like Georges was planned to. He locks the LHD for just long enough for Ghule or D we pick at 8OVA to move up. It does not preclude grabbing a real #1 LHD partner for Risto in the future.

Things I dislike.

His contract goes to 2018-19. One year after Jack, Sam, Fasching and EKane all need new deals so there may be cap issues further down the road past 2018-19 (bridge contract for a RFA). He really is not a true top pairing D man. His shot suppression numbers are downright bad. If you acquire JayBo there will be a log jam on D between McCabe, Psysk, and Georges for bottom pairing minutes. Also what would STL want in return?

Agreed, I'd welcome him at the right price but I have no interest in putting our 3 biggest chips on the table for him (those being our next 2 firsts or girgensons).

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Sure. We lost a 1st rounder back in the day (Heistein). Not sure why they didn't fix that loop hole in the 2 CBA revisions we've had in the last 11 years. Much like how you don't let regular UFAs get to June being unsigned ala Briere/Drury, treat college UFAs the same way. And ask them if they are OK with signing before their UFA year BEFORE you draft them.
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo

Things I dislike.

Fits like how you constantly refuse to spell Gorges name correctly? http://hfboards.mandatory.com/search.php?searchid=38835875

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Keith Yandle IMO has Sabres written all over him. Friends with Eichel, big name, PP QB.

I know people here are scared of his defense, but I just see it happening.

I'd be very happy to see Yandle signed. He has at least 4 really good years left in him, perfect for our Cups window.

5x7.5 is what I'd expect it would take.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'd be very happy to see Yandle signed. He has at least 4 really good years left in him, perfect for our Cups window.

Yeah, for sure I'd do this. Posters are always whining that our offense struggles because our defense can't move the puck, which there is truth in, but then say we can't go after him because he's not a good defender. Talking out of both sides of their mouth. Unless you are getting a no. 1 defensemen, you aren't getting both, but Yandle is elite as a puck mover.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Keith Yandle IMO has Sabres written all over him. Friends with Eichel, big name, PP QB.

I know people here are scared of his defense, but I just see it happening.

I don't remotely see it happening. Given his age and contract demands that are sure to put a team like Buffalo in a bind a few years from now I see GMTM smartly staying away from a situation like that.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

That money/term looks nuts to me. That means it's there when we are signing Sam's bridge deal, and Jack's max deal. Also, Risto's bridge deal is up in that span.

All of that said, Yandle at 7.5 doesn't seem like bad money to me, just the term.

I like him a lot more as a player than some people, clearly, and though he's not the perfect guy to pair with Risto, the perfect guy isn't available, and he would certainly help get the puck out of the D zone quickly, which is this team's achilles heel.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That money/term looks nuts to me. That means it's there when we are signing Sam's bridge deal, and Jack's max deal. Also, Risto's bridge deal is up in that span.

All of that said, Yandle at 7.5 doesn't seem like bad money to me, just the term.

I like him a lot more as a player than some people, clearly, and though he's not the perfect guy to pair with Risto, the perfect guy isn't available, and he would certainly help get the puck out of the D zone quickly, which is this team's achilles heel.

I would go to $8.5 per if he would accept a 3 year term, but I doubt that'd happen. He's looking to sign his last big money deal, it'll be two years max for him after this next contract.

I don't love the five years, but I'd do it. People are too fixated on Sam and Jack's next deals...as if there's any way in the world that we won't figure out how to fit them in under the cap, which could be +$10 million by the time it's an issue anyway.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Freedman reporting it looks likely Tyson barrie will be moved as the Avs and his reps are far apart. I know he's a RHD but he'd be the QB Murray wants for sure

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Yandle would be near the bottom of my list. He'll want too much term for the money he'll make.
I still think there are lots of options.
Campbell still has t re-signed with Florida, which might mean he want to test free agent waters.
Goligoski and Russell are not offensively at Yandle's level but won't require the same type of contract either.
St. Louis will move one or both of Shattenkirk and Bouwmeester.
Colorado is having trouble with Barrie's extension.
Minnesota will also likely move a defenseman in order to help their forward core in search of a top-6 center.
Anaheim will have to deal at least one of Vatanen/Fowler/Lindholm (depending on price and how much they believe they need to re-sign Andersen after his and Gibson's playoff performances) to stay within their team budget.
Philadelphia needs help on the left wing and is loaded with young left handed defensemen (Gostisbehere, Provorov, Hagg, Sanheim, Morin, and Del Zotto as well).

I just see too many options for Buffalo, and Murray in particular to make a deal for a defenseman.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Regardless of who the target is, I'm pretty sure of one thing: Murray will go after the guy he wants, send a lot in order to get him, and HF will complain he overpaid. :laugh:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Freedman reporting it looks likely Tyson barrie will be moved as the Avs and his reps are far apart. I know he's a RHD but he'd be the QB Murray wants for sure

I'd imagine that's got Edmonton and the 4th overall pick written all over it. I don't see how we'd beat that, but I can definitely see Murray kicking the tires. Barrie would be a great pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad