Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
What's his beef with Nashville, anyway?

It is not Toronto.

Kid's Dad put his foot in his mouth and now they are backtracking trying to pretend the Bruins and others are in contention. If you read The Buffalo News, you would actually think we are some type of favorite in landing him. Unfortunately, he will be a Leaf.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Last season, we essentially had half of a new team to start. They were pretty bad for about 40 games. Then, as they learned Bylsma and each other, they played (mostly) at a playoff level.

Not quite. From the start of 2016 (from game 39 on) they were;

-slightly below .500 team in January (5-7-0)
- a.500 team in Feb (5-5-3)
- slightly above .500 in March (7-4-4)
- Went 3-1-0 in April.

From game 39 to game 77 (39gms) they were 16-16-7. I stopped at game 77 because game 78 was vs the Leafs and the legendary Garret Sparks. The last 5 games we went 4-1. But they were a bit of a hodge podge of players for us and some of our opponents. Hard to read much on our future from them. In our last 19gms, we also played the easiest schedule in the NHL based on opponents winning%.

The team certainly was more coherent and played better as the year went on. But we were not really playing at a "playoff level" in the 2nd half. I assume by that you mean at the level a team would need to play to make the playoffs.

I don't want many changes in the lineup. I alos don't want Murray to back a dump truck full of cap to Stamkos. But, if he could land Vesey and maybe Stamkos, (reasonably), that's what I want, other than a few roster tweaks.

I get that you want to see the team take the next step developing from within. There is certainly some merit to that. But it can't hurt to add more to the lineup, particularly on defense.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
My biggest concern re: Stamkos is that Murray feels the contract gets too big and Pegula overrides him. For as much as I love Terry, he definitely has an ego attached to all that cash. I fear he'd love nothing more to hold a big press conference and essentially waive his middle finger up the QEW to Babcock.
If Stamkos comes to BUF, it wont be because TOR got out bid.

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
If Stamkos comes to BUF, it wont be because TOR got out bid.

Pegula is one of the few owners that will outbid Toronto. I don't want $10 mil tied up in Stamkos with Risto, Reinhart and Eichel due for raises. And, if he doesn't want to play wing, I'm not sure it's worth the monster number it will take.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pegula is one of the few owners that will outbid Toronto. I don't want $10 mil tied up in Stamkos with Risto, Reinhart and Eichel due for raises. And, if he doesn't want to play wing, I'm not sure it's worth the monster number it will take.

Good thing it's Murray making the call and not TPegs.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm not for signing Stamkos due to cap implications in the future, and because I think Murray needs to get LHD. But Stamkos would make for a monster top 9.

Kane - Stamkos - O'Reilly
Girgensons - Eichel - Reinhart
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'll bet Stamkos will get a bid from us, but I doubt Murray wants to go with the highest bidder strategy. There's probably only a couple teams in the league that can commit the $10M to him, and he'll likely only choose Buffalo if the fit is right.

IMO, he's Toronto-bound. The fit at center, the money, and they've got enough high-end young pieces to give him a sense of real potential.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'll bet Stamkos will get a bid from us, but I doubt Murray wants to go with the highest bidder strategy. There's probably only a couple teams in the league that can commit the $10M to him, and he'll likely only choose Buffalo if the fit is right.

IMO, he's Toronto-bound. The fit at center, the money, and they've got enough high-end young pieces to give him a sense of real potential.

I think so, as well. I believe it's been a done deal for awhile, in the same way Vanek/Minnesota and Brad Richards/NYR deals came to fruition after months of speculation.

I'm just hoping they don't get Vesey, as well.

(The one team I think that is flying under the radar is Detroit. Ilitch isn't afraid to spend on any of his teams, they're losing their megastar, they're in decline, and they're about to open up a brand new arena. They need a headliner. I could absolutely see the Red Wings put $10.5m+ AAV on the table for Stamkos.)

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

If Stamkos wants to:

- Play center
- Get on a contender
- Play in a great city
- Get the contract he wants

... he might want to stay in-state and go to Florida.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It is not Toronto.

Kid's Dad put his foot in his mouth and now they are backtracking trying to pretend the Bruins and others are in contention. If you read The Buffalo News, you would actually think we are some type of favorite in landing him. Unfortunately, he will be a Leaf.

Good luck to him trying to outplay a bunch of guys already playing well on the Marlies, in Toronto. Not sure the playing time potential is there in Toronto. I think Buffalo doesn't have as deep as NHL ready prospects on the wings and injuries on Buffalo may be the option he has of the teams probably left as a choice.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Good luck to him trying to outplay a bunch of guys already playing well on the Marlies, in Toronto. Not sure the playing time potential is there in Toronto. I think Buffalo doesn't have as deep as NHL ready prospects on the wings and injuries on Buffalo may be the option he has of the teams probably left as a choice.

Time to see if Jack has generational persuasion skillz.

His hockey IQ, tho.

:snide:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
My biggest concern re: Stamkos is that Murray feels the contract gets too big and Pegula overrides him. For as much as I love Terry, he definitely has an ego attached to all that cash. I fear he'd love nothing more to hold a big press conference and essentially waive his middle finger up the QEW to Babcock.

TPegs seems as committed to this rebuild as anyone. I don't think he's going to override TM at this point. If TM says no to Stamkos, we're not getting him.

Maybe you can say that he got a bit too involved RE: Leino and Ehrhoff......but there's been no evidence at all that he hasn't learned from his mistakes.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One thing these playoffs have done is further muddle my opinion of a couple of UFA defensemen -- I'm even less of a fan of both Yandle and Goligoski after watching the post-season.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
One thing these playoffs have done is further muddle my opinion of a couple of UFA defensemen -- I'm even less of a fan of both Yandle and Goligoski after watching the post-season.

I hope Murray feels the same and stays clear of both....

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Yep, they're terrible... I don't have any solution at D this offseason. The Oilers forums are the same way. Good D-man are just impossible to find, you need to draft and develop them.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Come on. The Marlies are a good AHL team, but Vesey is better than most of their players. More importantly, Toronto doesn't have much on their NHL roster. Nashville, a far better team than the Leafs and Marlies, was prepared to give him a top-9 role in the playoffs.

I'm actually concerned that he'll look at our roster and see a ton of LH-shot wings (Kane, Girgensons, Ennis, Foligno, et al.) tied to NHL roster spots and pass on us.

I thought the only times the Rangers looked semi-functional was when Yandle was on the ice. The piece in that other thread supports that. *shrug*

(Not advocating giving him 5 years and $30m, just sayin'.)

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I feel like there's about 5 great defensemen in the NHL. Another 5 who are good with potential to be great. About 10-20 good defensemen that will stay just good. And then just a bunch of ****.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I feel like there's about 5 great defensemen in the NHL. Another 5 who are good with potential to be great. About 10-20 good defensemen that will stay just good. And then just a bunch of ****.

Well, I would think growing up the better players gravitate to offense (offence) so there are more talented offensemen than defensemen.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Well, I would think growing up the better players gravitate to offense (offence) so there are more talented offensemen than defensemen.
Yeah. I think it has gotten worse over the last 10 years or so though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Come on. The Marlies are a good AHL team, but Vesey is better than most of their players. More importantly, Toronto doesn't have much on their NHL roster. Nashville, a far better team than the Leafs and Marlies, was prepared to give him a top-9 role in the playoffs.

I'm actually concerned that he'll look at our roster and see a ton of LH-shot wings (Kane, Girgensons, Ennis, Foligno, et al.) tied to NHL roster spots and pass on us.

I thought the only times the Rangers looked semi-functional was when Yandle was on the ice. The piece in that other thread supports that. *shrug*

(Not advocating giving him 5 years and $30m, just sayin'.)

Maybe. I suppose it's more a case of wanting to not break the bank but be responsible. It seems everyone is shopping for defensemen right now. It'd be awesome if someone other than the usual suspects came up at least in discussion. I really hate the 8OA-for-Brodin proposals. :help: And the Anaheim threads are just beaten to death too. There has to be something out there that doesn't take a top-10 pick and gets them quality minutes without jacking up their salary structure for middling guys.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

And all those teams that make it to the last 4 teams usually have at least 1 of the great d-man and another 1-3 very good defenseman. The spaces represent the gaps. I think the west has a large advantage in competent d man.

Chicago

Keith
Seabrook
Hjalmarsson

LA

Doughty

Muzzin

Martinez/Voynov

San Jose

Burns
Vlasic

Blues