Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What's his beef with Nashville, anyway?

No idea. Nashville thinks he said he would give them a meeting after his season ended and he didn't. He says there was no such agreement. The Preds promised him post-deadline playing time and didn't make a move for a depth forward specifically to show him they wanted him in the lineup. He basically took the option to go UFA instead.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Just a friendly Canucks here with a question can Tyler ennis play wing

As some of the responses above allude, he got concussed a few times in <1 year (and likely <5 months), the last one sidelining him the rest of the season. The veiled comments above relate to both (1) his ability to return to play (which Ennis personally claims he is able to do now, and would be available if BUF had made the playoffs), and (2) his ability to return to his former level of play, which we won't know until many months after the prerequisite is met.

Also, there are generally 2 camps on this Sabres board:
One camp pencils Ennis into next year's lineup, and is optimistic he returns to his former level of play, and is generally accepting of the deficiencies in his overall defensive and puck-possession game, given his stickhandling & speed on offense (up until this past season, BUF had no rushing forwards who could back-up another team with any consistency).
The other camp feels Ennis is not an essential piece to a future deep Sabres playoff run, laments his GF differential per 60 at Even Strength, and recognizes he is not the type of player GM Murray appears to be building a team around. They cite the Sabres were no worse off without him, and would be fine with Ennis moved at any point during his remaining contract, the big hurdle being his health. As a further subset, some of those people don't want Murray to sell low on him.

Apologies if you were aware of all that, but given the username, my assumption is you predominatly follow 1-2 other teams.:)

What would your team(s) offer?

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I'm wondering if Ennis could fit on the Foligno - Larsson line instead of Gionta. Has had chemistry with Marcus in the past and could add some more scoring to that line while not having to go against the oppositions' best pairings.

MyersMagic57*

No idea. Nashville thinks he said he would give them a meeting after his season ended and he didn't. He says there was no such agreement. The Preds promised him post-deadline playing time and didn't make a move for a depth forward specifically to show him they wanted him in the lineup. He basically took the option to go UFA instead.

Think he regrets his choice now? He could be playing in a game 7 in the second round now with a chance to play in the Conference Finals.

Plus Nashville is a good team that will remain good for years to come and is an awesome city.

Not very intelligent in my opinion.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Think he regrets his choice now? He could be playing in a game 7 in the second round now with a chance to play in the Conference Finals.

Plus Nashville is a good team that will remain good for years to come and is an awesome city.

Not very intelligent in my opinion.

As Poile has said, it seems Vesey got some bad advice from his adviser/agent. If he signs in Toronto, I'd expect a tampering grievance filed with the league before the fax to the league office is even done printing.

MyersMagic57*

As Poile has said, it seems Vesey got some bad advice from his adviser/agent. If he signs in Toronto, I'd expect a tampering grievance filed with the league before the fax to the league office is even done printing.

What would happen if they could prove tampering? Loss of picks?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

:dunno:

If I'm a college player, unless they are willing to bend over backwards for me after year 2 or 3 like we did with Fasching, I'd be walking to UFA too.

It's simple: if a college player isn't willing to sign with you after year 3, you move his rights for assets assuming he may walk.

College players can always finish their degrees in the offseason if that is important to them.

Who knows what Vesey really wants. If he wants to play in Boston for his childhood team...he has the option to do that as a rookie. If he signs with Nashville, he could get injured and NEVER have that opportunity.

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
What current flow are you talking about exactly?

Last season, we essentially had half of a new team to start. They were pretty bad for about 40 games. Then, as they learned Bylsma and each other, they played (mostly) at a playoff level.

I don't want many changes in the lineup. I alos don't want Murray to back a dump truck full of cap to Stamkos. But, if he could land Vesey and maybe Stamkos, (reasonably), that's what I want, other than a few roster tweaks.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
:dunno:

If I'm a college player, unless they are willing to bend over backwards for me after year 2 or 3 like we did with Fasching, I'd be walking to UFA too.

It's simple: if a college player isn't willing to sign with you after year 3, you move his rights for assets assuming he may walk.

College players can always finish their degrees in the offseason if that is important to them.

Who knows what Vesey really wants. If he wants to play in Boston for his childhood team...he has the option to do that as a rookie. If he signs with Nashville, he could get injured and NEVER have that opportunity.

Where Poile's take goes off the rails is that it was largely focused on the ELC that the Preds could offer.

It's likely that Vesey's rep gave him the pluses and minuses to going each route and he's choosing to have the power to pick his team as opposed to just going where he was drafted.

GMs hate the idea of a player, especially one that hasn't even turned pro yet, having power like that. It's like the narrative that comes out when NBA superstars talk about playing on a team together or when NMCs and NTCs come up.

If it was about maximizing his ELC, then yeah, Nashville made the most sense.

But, it appears that picking his spot is worth a lot more to Vesey than the money he's leaving on the table.

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
Last season, we essentially had half of a new team to start. They were pretty bad for about 40 games. Then, as they learned Bylsma and each other, they played (mostly) at a playoff level.

I don't want many changes in the lineup. I alos don't want Murray to back a dump truck full of cap to Stamkos. But, if he could land Vesey and maybe Stamkos, (reasonably), that's what I want, other than a few roster tweaks.

One more thing. We clearly have Eichel and ROR in the 1C and 2C. I want Stamkos on the wing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What would happen if they could prove tampering? Loss of picks?

This is what happens when a coach simply says he'd be interested in a player under contract to another team: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-fines-maple-leafs-for-tampering/c-501402

The NHL fined the Toronto Maple Leafs an undisclosed amount after ruling that coach Ron Wilson was guilty of tampering when he expressed interest in Vancouver Canucks forwards Henrik and Daniel Sedin before they reached free agency.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly announced the penalty Wednesday in a news release. Wilson made reference to the Canucks twins during an interview when they were still under contract with the Canucks. Both players reached new deals to stay with Vancouver.

A separate charge by the Canucks against the Maple Leafs was dismissed by the NHL.

Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis was upset after a recent Leafs TV segment showed Toronto GM Brian Burke talking about a rumored Vancouver-Tampa Bay trade. Burke said Alex Burrows and Kevin Bieksa could be heading to the Lightning, but the deal never happened.

Calling those actions "unfortunate and inappropriate," Daly said that didn't constitute a tampering offense under league rules. He warned the Leafs against doing something similar in the future.

One more thing. We clearly have Eichel and ROR in the 1C and 2C. I want Stamkos on the wing.

Stamkos has expressed his intent to play center and not wing.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Stamkos wants to play center. You're also ignoring the biggest issue (the defense), so if Murray's two main moves are Stamkos and Vesey, it's not going to be a successful off-season. Vesey, sure, I'll take him all day. Stamkos, not so much.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The fact that you need to go that far back to find a fine for tampering really means that it is hard to prove and goes unpunished. All GMs need to do is mention it to one of a hand full of TOR media off the record. There are so many instances of this occurring - so many guys making it to FA and we already know their destination.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The fact that you need to go that far back to find a fine for tampering really means that it is hard to prove and goes unpunished. All GMs need to do is mention it to one of a hand full of TOR media off the record. There are so many instances of this occurring - so many guys making it to FA and we already know their destination.

It doesn't happen all that often. Most of these guys know that you can't say anything about someone under contract to another team. Murray points that out to the knuckleheads on GR all the time.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My biggest concern re: Stamkos is that Murray feels the contract gets too big and Pegula overrides him. For as much as I love Terry, he definitely has an ego attached to all that cash. I fear he'd love nothing more to hold a big press conference and essentially waive his middle finger up the QEW to Babcock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad