Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Yes and no. It's too soon to know who, if anyone, Bailey has chemistry with on our roster, but look at how tough a time Pittsburgh has had finding wingers for Sid. Just because he's great doesn't mean any winger will do. Bailey's got an intriguing mix of size, speed, and skill. He's right there with Fasching for me in terms of prospects I'd really rather wait and see on.

But have they really? Sure, they've tried a lot of guys and have maybe struggled to find the "perfect fit." But no matter who is on his wing, Crosby has been over a PPG and among the league leaders in offensive output every single damn year. Crosby is as much as example of "plug anyone on his wing and he succeeds " as the counter.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Wouldn't be at all surprising to see his rights dealt at the draft. I would be more surprised if that didn't happen.

I don't think that's really going to do anything though, unless the team where he wants to go ends up randomly getting his rights. Jimmy seems pretty set on going to free agency, so I doubt he'd sign with a team before he gets that opportunity.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't think that's really going to do anything though, unless the team where he wants to go ends up randomly getting his rights. Jimmy seems pretty set on going to free agency, so I doubt he'd sign with a team before he gets that opportunity.

No one is going to trade for his rights unless they feel there's a very strong likelyhood that they can get a deal done. Just because team management can't officially talk to a player doesn't mean no one can talk to the player unofficially and get a sense. Jack and Jimmy having the same agent would go a long way towards getting that sense ahead of a trade.

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville
That would be pretty sweet if Eichel can get in his head during workouts and sway him our way.

He said Jumbo Joe was his favorite player growing up?
There goes San Jose ahead of Boston, Buffalo, and Toronto, especially if they go deep this year.

Sharks should have a roster spot for him with Spaling/Haley/Zubrus UFA this summer, and their LW prospect depth is just as meh as ours so we're probably on even ground there.

But hey, who wouldn't rather live in the Atlantic Northeast than California?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
No one is going to trade for his rights unless they feel there's a very strong likelyhood that they can get a deal done. Just because team management can't officially talk to a player doesn't mean no one can talk to the player unofficially and get a sense. Jack and Jimmy having the same agent would go a long way towards getting that sense ahead of a trade.

Jimmy can tell Jack (or whoever) whatever he wants, it's still a gamble to whatever team would give up an asset for his rights. Jimmy could talk about how Buffalo's an awesome team and he'd love to play here, but he could still go to free agency just to see what else is out there once it starts. Plus, Nashville would still need to agree to trade his rights. Given the situation I'm sure they would, but that's also not guaranteed.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Jimmy can tell Jack (or whoever) whatever he wants, it's still a gamble to whatever team would give up an asset for his rights. Jimmy could talk about how Buffalo's an awesome team and he'd love to play here, but he could still go to free agency just to see what else is out there once it starts. Plus, Nashville would still need to agree to trade his rights. Given the situation I'm sure they would, but that's also not guaranteed.

Of course it's a gamble, but now it's a more educated gamble as opposed to throwing out a 4th round pick and hoping for the best. Nashville would be wasting a very valuable asset by not dealing his rights to the highest bidder, unless they somehow feel that they can still convince him to come there.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Of course it's a gamble, but now it's a more educated gamble as opposed to throwing out a 4th round pick and hoping for the best. Nashville would be wasting a very valuable asset by not dealing his rights to the highest bidder, unless they somehow feel that they can still convince him to come there.

We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised to see his rights get traded. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't sign with whatever team trades for them, either.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised to see his rights get traded. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't sign with whatever team trades for them, either.

The only time I can think of that rights were dealt and it didn't result in a signing was Ehrhoff to the Islanders, and they just turned right around and flipped him for the same return to us, no-harm, no-foul. It would likely be the same type of situation with Vesey...if for some reason a deal can't be reached, you get your asset back and someone else gets a shot.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
How often are NCAA guys who go the UFA route even traded? Mike Reilly wasn't, Justin Schultz wasn't, Blake Wheeler wasn't, Kevin Hayes wasn't. Granted not all of those guys are direct comparables. For example, Hayes was the only one of them who was a graduating senior and went to 8/16 rather than leaving college early and becoming UFA on 6/1. Also, there was incentive not to trade Wheeler or Hayes since they were first round picks which meant Phoenix and Chicago were due compensatory picks.

Still, there isn't a lot of history of NCAA guys who were headed to free agency who had their rights traded. I can think of Jordan Samuels-Thomas and Corban Knight off of the top of my head, and neither of those were exactly high profile guys. Frankly I see no reason to expect Vesey's rights to be traded.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Yes and no. It's too soon to know who, if anyone, Bailey has chemistry with on our roster, but look at how tough a time Pittsburgh has had finding wingers for Sid. Just because he's great doesn't mean any winger will do. Bailey's got an intriguing mix of size, speed, and skill. He's right there with Fasching for me in terms of prospects I'd really rather wait and see on.

My complaint with the Pitt example is that Pitt has been spending assets to play with Crosby at the expense of solidifying their D corp, I'm in a position where I want them to do the opposite, spend the assets to address the defense because Eichel, like Crosby

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Poile has stated he will not trade Vesey's rights.

Is there a rationale behind Poile's thinking that I'm not seeing here? If they know he's not signing, wouldn't shipping him off for something make sense?

I mean, there wouldn't be much of a market anyways since he's made his intent to reach UFA clear, but still.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Is there a rationale behind Poile's thinking that I'm not seeing here? If they know he's not signing, wouldn't shipping him off for something make sense?

I mean, there wouldn't be much of a market anyways since he's made his intent to reach UFA clear, but still.

Because he'll get a compensatory pick (3rd rounder i believe) if he walks

Doubt anyone trades more than that for him. Besides, why make it easy on him to sign elsewhere?

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville
I really just want Murray to make a solid effort at both. I feel like anything else could disrupt the current flow.

What current flow are you talking about exactly?

the subject of his post is Stamkos and Vesey
ViewMedia

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

Was thinking the same thing. You're the GM of an NHL team. It's your job to get an asset for your team in a situation like this.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

I don't think Poile has given up on trying to sign Vesey. Even if Vesey goes to free agency, he's still bound by the ELC rules, so if Nashville can convince him during these couple months that they're a team he should sign with, maybe Poile thinks he can still win the battle in the end.

I don't think this is a situation where Vesey will not under any circumstances sign with Nashville, but I think he wants to look at all his options. Nashville might still be in the running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad