Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
We've all been waiting for Ennis to take his game to the next level. A lot of us argued that he would have better point totals when playing with better linemates. It IS about point production with Ennis because he has no physical game to speak of and gives no thought to back checking/defensive play. He's also wildly inconsistent. Shows up every 7 or 8 games and scores a dandy goal. I want more than that in a top 6 player.

For me, if he can't put up at least 50 points this year I don't want him.

Yeah his # of secondary assists should really be a contributing # to deciding if he belongs on the team.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I stopped after "no physical game".... Clearly watching a different player.

You think Ennis is physical? He's small and he tries...but he's not.

Edit: I'm really not TRYING to push an anti-Ennis agenda. I just think that if the opportunity arises to acquire someone else who brings a bit more, I wouldn't be upset to see him go. I don't like his game overly much, but the same can be said about half the team.

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
One thing about Ennis I love is in the playoffs he has been one of if not the best player on the ice for us. Hasnt played in the playoffs in a while, but that cant be ignored.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Edit: I'm really not TRYING to push an anti-Ennis agenda. I just think that if the opportunity arises to acquire someone else who brings a bit more, I wouldn't be upset to see him go. I don't like his game overly much, but the same can be said about half the team.

Can't say I agree with you, his head is willing and he often fails due to his size but he does not shy away from physical play when he feels the time is right.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ennis is game to engage physically and is usually "on" when he throws himself into opponents and generates loose pucks through surprise contact. He's not "soft" in the way one might equate a skill-only player to be. He's not going to wear out an opponent over a full series, but he can separate people form the puck with is body.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Thats a good comparison. I think Pahlsoon is another good one. But I don't think he'll get the same level of ice time or usage Pahlson did with the talent we have ahead of him at center. I'm thinking specifically of the Ducks Cup winning team.

Agree. Especially if the Sabres go to the four center spine as you suggest.

Re: Larsson as the 3C or going with a four center spine. Great "problem" to have. Beats Luke Adam, Leino, and Roy at center.

I think have the ability to switch between three lines and four lines because of center depth is a huge advantage. When winger talent is think, tighten up to three lines. Open back to four when they've goth the depth. It essentially enables Chicago-like trade deadline winger trades to create four lines going into the playoffs each year.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Bored.... thinking about the draft falling a particular way that makes trades the way to go. What if all three defenseman are gone by 8?

TOR- Matthews
WPG- Laine
CLB- Puljujarvi
EDM- Chychrun
VAN- Juolevi
CAL- Tkachuk
ARZ- Sergachev
BUF

PLD is left on the board. 8OA straight up for Brodin. 2017 1st, Bailey to Anaheim for Fowler.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bored.... thinking about the draft falling a particular way that makes trades the way to go. What if all three defenseman are gone by 8?

TOR- Matthews
WPG- Laine
CLB- Puljujarvi
EDM- Chychrun
VAN- Juolevi
CAL- Tkachuk
ARZ- Sergachev
BUF

PLD is left on the board. 8OA straight up for Brodin. 2017 1st, Bailey to Anaheim for Fowler.

Screw Brodin...if PLD is still on the board I take him and run away laughing

Castrophy

Feb 26, 2015
Oswego, NY

TOR- Matthews
WPG- Laine
CLB- Puljujarvi
EDM- Chychrun
VAN- Juolevi
CAL- Tkachuk
ARZ- Sergachev
BUF

I would throw a party if PLD was still on the board at 8. That would no brainer.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

TOR- Matthews
WPG- Laine
CLB- Puljujarvi
EDM- Chychrun
VAN- Juolevi
CAL- Tkachuk
ARZ- Sergachev
BUF

Yeah sorry you take best player available aka PLD and figure it out. From there you can throw the entire 2017 draft at a top 4dman and I'd barely blink anyways...

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I'd be in favor of 3 lines centered by O'Reilly-Eichel-Reinhart. There would need to be an additional 2 wingers added IMO. Hypothetically if they could get Vesey and possibly Shaw, you could roll a top 3 lines of
Kane-O'Reilly-Shaw
Vesey-Eichel-Fasching/Bailey
Girgensons-Reinhart-Ennis
Deslauriers-Larsson-Gionta
Moulson/Shaller/Carrier

Also, depending on who would be dealt, Larsson & Gorgensons could be flip flopped if one is dealt as part of a package for a LHD. Moulson would likely be 13th forward.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Ennis is game to engage physically and is usually "on" when he throws himself into opponents and generates loose pucks through surprise contact. He's not "soft" in the way one might equate a skill-only player to be. He's not going to wear out an opponent over a full series, but he can separate people form the puck with is body.

But concussions are known to have a serious effect on how players engage physically after they recover. And since Tyler REALLY got scrambled, who knows if he'll be that type anymore. For all we know, he's going to come back and **** the bed.

At this point, all speculation and expectation of Ennis is fantasy. We just don't know. Neither does he.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
But concussions are known to have a serious effect on how players engage physically after they recover. And since Tyler REALLY got scrambled, who knows if he'll be that type anymore. For all we know, he's going to come back and **** the bed.

At this point, all speculation and expectation of Ennis is fantasy. We just don't know. Neither does he.

Was just about to say this. He was probably above average in physical play 2 years ago but it would be wise of him to avoid such collisions.

I'd like to see Reino at C too but not at the cost of rendering Larsson useless at wing.
No. Sam isn't going to make him very effective. Sam is great on the wing, Johan is good at C. The 3rd was our best line at several points. Let it go.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

I'm not against entertaining deals for Ennis. I'm not okay creating myths about his game in an effort to justify dealing him.

We had three forwards worth a damn by the tail end of Nolan's tenure: Larsson, ZG, and Ennis - the latter of the three being our most consistent forechecker.

He doesn't blast guys, but he certainly doesn't play his size. Doesn't play small at all.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

As the seminal member of wondering if Ennis can ever play again, I was simply describing when he was effective. I expect nothing from him at this point.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Depends on what he does next year. We can only lose one player. I think he probably comes back next year, scores his 45-50 points, and looks like a valuable part of the team going forward. I wouldn't be particularly happy about losing that.

Each team losses 1 player PER EXPANSION TEAM.

If both LV and QC get expansion teams, then the Sabres are losing 2 players via the expansion draft.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
As the seminal member of wondering if Ennis can ever play again, I was simply describing when he was effective. I expect nothing from him at this point.

Right, gotcha. I was only quoting you because you were the most recent post about him. There ARE some who expect him to be his old self and then some. Which, is not only ludicrous but stupid. :shakehead

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Each team losses 1 player PER EXPANSION TEAM.

If both LV and QC get expansion teams, then the Sabres are losing 2 players via the expansion draft.

Does anyone really think QC is getting an expansion team at this point?

Maybe I'm wrong, but all signs point to 1 expansion team, and thats in LV.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Does anyone really think QC is getting an expansion team at this point?

Maybe I'm wrong, but all signs point to 1 expansion team, and thats in LV.

I would be mildly surprised if they go with an odd number of teams.

I'm guessing that they will wait for a second team before just going with one.

Or we can get a surprise with the Yotes moving to Vegas.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I would be mildly surprised if they go with an odd number of teams.

I'm guessing that they will wait for a second team before just going with one.

Or we can get a surprise with the Yotes moving to Vegas.

QC won't be getting one because:

A) we already have a 16/14 imbalance in the conferences
B) The NHL wants to get into the Pacific NW, not oversaturate eastern ontario.
C) While QC probably is a successful profitable team....it really doesn't add much to TV revenue or overall fan base. It simply takes a group of fans who spend on CHL/AHL and occasional NHL game and makes them full time NHL ticket buyers. Expansion is about growing the brand. Adding to QC simply milks the brand.

QC probably gets a team ala Winnipeg, a non traditional hockey market poops the bed and gets relo'd.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
That would really suck if expansion is moved back a year.
What scenario is best for Toronto and to a lesser extent Boston? The answer to that is the one the NHL will go with.

I think it's inapt to discard big deals like that and just latch onto selective trades and signings and say that's the be all and end all of what Murray wants to build. No, it's what you want Murray to build. Murray might actually be fairly represented by the totality of his work - it would mean he values roster balance and doesn't need 23 Mike Griers to execute his vision.

If another Matt Moulson comes along - soft guy, not a great skater, but great finish around the netmouth - I wouldn't be surprised if that's a Murray guy in the right situation.

If another Ennis comes along - high skilled, quick hands, creative but inconsistent with decisionmaking and no physical package to speak of - I wouldn't be surprised if that's also a Murray guy.
I disagree. Murray would never want 23 Mike Griers. He'd only need a couple Mike Griers. He'd want 23 Ryan O'Reillys, but there aren't enough of those, so he'll take the lesser versions, which are Jochen Hechts., etc.

Why would Murray want another Matt Moulson, or another Tyler Ennis when he already has one? Ahh, OK. You mean if Moulson and/or Ennis are gone, would he want their replacement in a similar player? Again, I truly think not, when he has his kind of players in Fasching/Bailey/Carrier/Baptiste.

Lastly, there will be no addition of a Moulson-like, or Ennis-like player, or their replacements, at anywhere near the cost of the contracts they have. BUF will need to have most/all of their one-dimensional wingers on ELCs in order to properly put their money in 15/23/55/LHD (& already in #90). If exceptions are made, they will be for short-term (1-2 years before 15/23 ELCs are up), multi-dimensional wingers. Think Rick Nash.

Roster balance is nebulous - and means different things to different people. I would gladly take 9 forwards who play a full 200-foot game for 20 minutes in all situations each and every night with special teams, and put up 20-20-40 for the season. It would be my dream scenario.

The Ennis contract isn't even a bad contract. Unless you are forced to look at only a 30 game sample size and ignore...you know...all the other games.

Moulson is the bad contract they have. And even it has value with the expansion drafts forced cap percentage on the horizon.
Assume the hypothetical where Moulson was injured 60 games this season, whereas Ennis played 81 games. That would have been a more preferred situation.

Last edited:

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Think we can move up to the end of the 1st round using our 500 stockpiled 3rd rounders? Would really like getting a Clague or Niemelainen rather than wait to see who falls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad