Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Toyed with capfriendly armchair tool...

With 74 million cap you could just get this line-up:

Kane - ROR - Nash
Vesey - Eichel - Girgs
Foligno - Reinhart - Ennis
Moulson - Larsson - Gionta
Des, Schaller

Lindholm - Risto
Yandle - Bogo
McCabe - Pysyk
Cola

Lehner
Rämö

Obviously a HUGE pipe dream.

Nash for a couple of 2nd to 3rd round picks, Vesey from FA, Girgs under a 1,75 two year bridge, Foligno for 2xx2 bridge, Des and Schall for 0,8x1 deal.

Lindholm via offersheet (yeah...), and Yandle with 4x6. Cola (preferably better, but anyway) for 0,6x1.

Rämö (or similar) with 0,6x1

Gorges to LA for picks and Franson to some team for picks.

So we keep our 1st 2016 and lose only from our current roster Gorges and Franson.

One can dream! :D

I like Vesey too, but there's no reason to expect him to be top 6 NHL ready next season.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I like Vesey too, but there's no reason to expect him to be top 6 NHL ready next season.

Agreed that he might not be ready (but I do think he very well could as well). But to actually get him here, I think that's the spot you have to at least start with him in. This based on his comments that he is going to examine carefully the roster, the prospect pool etc. of the teams approaching him.

You could easily switch players from position to position (Girgs to opposite wing etc.) to get Vesey lower in the line-up if he can't handle it.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Tampa rolling along without Stamkos, Drouin emerging = Stamkos finds a new team.

As a Sabres fan I have 2 fears - 1) he gives Toronto a hometown discount and he's healthy and scores 35-50 goals a year
2) We sign him for 8 years $75-80M and he's got recurring health/injury problems

I hope he signs with some other team.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Tampa rolling along without Stamkos, Drouin emerging = Stamkos finds a new team.

As a Sabres fan I have 2 fears - 1) he gives Toronto a hometown discount and he's healthy and scores 35-50 goals a year
2) We sign him for 8 years $75-80M and he's got recurring health/injury problems

I hope he signs with some other team.

The blood clot causes concern, for sure, but he's much younger than most UFAs. At 26, he should have many top-level production years left. If the blood clot costs him his career, it would push him onto LTIR and negate any cap issues during the season. I'm not sold on going all in for Stamkos, but if you can get an elite player without using assets, you at least have to look twice and ponder those medical charts.

My bigger fear is getting a guy like Okposo at a five or six year deal, and then having the next Matt Moulson on our hands in two years. Oy! Too many times across the league these UFA deals go belly up quickly.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Is there real talk of Weber being available? I can't imagine that being the case with them eating the big money at the start of that deal.

They were discussing it on sportsnet yesterday, but it didn't have any credible basis. They were basically calling Weber a diminishing asset and that if they wanted to make a serious move, that should be one they consider. My guess is that this is what people are latching onto. So if you consider John Shannon throwing ideas against the wall worthwhile, maybe you want to run with it. I personally don't.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
There is no way Faulk is anywhere close to available but...

Bogosian+ for Weber?

Is there real talk of Weber being available? I can't imagine that being the case with them eating the big money at the start of that deal.

There is big recapture risk on Weber that Nashville will never trade him.

They were discussing it on sportsnet yesterday, but it didn't have any credible basis. They were basically calling Weber a diminishing asset and that if they wanted to make a serious move, that should be one they consider. My guess is that this is what people are latching onto. So if you consider John Shannon throwing ideas against the wall worthwhile, maybe you want to run with it. I personally don't.

If he wasn't on such a contract there could be some truth to trading him. But the recapture risk on that contract is what could hurt.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
It's more that pretty much the entire analytics community hates Shea Weber (or at least finds him startlingly inefficient) and his game 7 performance might have freaked out the Preds front office enough for them to adopt that way of thinking. I don't really expect there to be action on that front unless this was a straw that broke the camel's back situation.

Personally, I find the Rinne deal and a host of unimpressive forwards are more at fault, but that's a conversation for another thread.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Toyed with capfriendly armchair tool...

With 74 million cap you could just get this line-up:

Kane - ROR - Nash
Vesey - Eichel - Girgs
Foligno - Reinhart - Ennis
Moulson - Larsson - Gionta
Des, Schaller

Lindholm - Risto
Yandle - Bogo
McCabe - Pysyk
Cola

Lehner
Rämö

Obviously a HUGE pipe dream.

Nash for a couple of 2nd to 3rd round picks, Vesey from FA, Girgs under a 1,75 two year bridge, Foligno for 2xx2 bridge, Des and Schall for 0,8x1 deal.

Lindholm via offersheet (yeah...), and Yandle with 4x6. Cola (preferably better, but anyway) for 0,6x1.

Rämö (or similar) with 0,6x1

Gorges to LA for picks and Franson to some team for picks.

So we keep our 1st 2016 and lose only from our current roster Gorges and Franson.

One can dream! :D

If we're throwing out offer sheets, Murray doesn't need to sign Yandle or trade for Nash.... He shouldn't make many high dollar/term moves. He should set aside the cap money now for deals for Eichel and Reinhart. And the focus on long term deals so they can't be offer sheeted.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Nash only has a two year contract left and can't affect Eichel or Reinhart deals in any way.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
There is big recapture risk on Weber that Nashville will never trade him.

Assuming that Nashville cares about recapture. Any potentially debilitating recapture penalty for Nashville would take place after the next CBA, so who knows what provisions will be in place by then. Maybe they remove the recapture rule entirely. Besides, if Weber does prove to be going downhill and fast, he's a buyout candidate in 2022. And let's say he retired before the current CBA expired, then the recapture penalty means absolutely nothing to a team like Nashville that isn't close to the cap.

That said, maybe Nashville does care about the recapture penalties, it's certainly possible. Maybe they don't want to move him anyway. Still, it's not a situation like Chicago and Hossa where recapture means the player is absolutely unmovable. Chicago had to deal with potential recapture issues as soon as about two seasons from now. Between Nashville not being a cap team, and a new CBA (along with new buy-outs) before Weber's recapture penalty would really be damaging, and there are reasons that recapture won't necessarily scare Nashville off of making a move.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Dallas needs a mulligan on their goaltending situation. If Johnson leaves I wonder if Murray would offer to take either goalie (both over $4 million for next 2 years) for a mid round pick if Dallas throws Lindell in as a sweetener. Probably not but Lindell-Risto still interests me as a pair and Lindell is very good on the PP.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Dallas needs a mulligan on their goaltending situation. If Johnson leaves I wonder if Murray would offer to take either goalie (both over $4 million for next 2 years) for a mid round pick if Dallas throws Lindell in as a sweetener. Probably not but Lindell-Risto still interests me as a pair and Lindell is very good on the PP.

Given that you've got teams like Calgary and Toronto DESPERATE for goalie help....and that Niemi and Lehtonen have both shown that they can be OK regular season goalies........I don't think that Dallas needs to add a sweetener to unload one of them -- certainly not something as sweet as Lindell.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
If we're throwing out offer sheets, Murray doesn't need to sign Yandle or trade for Nash.... He shouldn't make many high dollar/term moves. He should set aside the cap money now for deals for Eichel and Reinhart. And the focus on long term deals so they can't be offer sheeted.

The line-up I posted with the contracts put there would offer enough cap flexibility. Nash has only two years left on his contract. Gionta will be off the books and you most likely can easily trade Ennis for futures. Yandle, if given 4 year deal with heavy front loading, most likely would be easily movable as well.

That team could easily make damage in the playoffs as soon as next year. It would have great depth offense and defense wise, legit first pairing and great centrum.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

No chance Dallas trades Lindell just to get rid of Lehtonen or Niemi. Zero. Nill didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
I had a whole post on the idea of a 2-yr, $26 million contract for Stamkos, but then my Internet died. But, yeah, a short, massive contract for Stamkos. He gets another go at free agency before the age of 30 with potentially a stronger Canadian dollar. The Sabres have the deal expire when Eichel and Reinhart are due extensions. Granted, Stamkos could probably get similar money in the first 2 years of a 7-year deal, and he would want long-term security if he can get it.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
I had a whole post on the idea of a 2-yr, $26 million contract for Stamkos, but then my Internet died. But, yeah, a short, massive contract for Stamkos. He gets another go at free agency before the age of 30 with potentially a stronger Canadian dollar. The Sabres have the deal expire when Eichel and Reinhart are due extensions. Granted, Stamkos could probably get similar money in the first 2 years of a 7-year deal, and he would want long-term security if he can get it.

Never happen. With his health and with him going through this headache now, he won't want to do it again in two years.

Just stop with short term Stamkos deals.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Edmonton talk radio has their fans interested in Shea Weber until his game-7 meltdown or Carolina's Justin Faulk.

There are 30 teams interested in Justin Faulk. The one that has him isn't letting him go for pretty much anything (and rightfully so).

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The line-up I posted with the contracts put there would offer enough cap flexibility. Nash has only two years left on his contract. Gionta will be off the books and you most likely can easily trade Ennis for futures. Yandle, if given 4 year deal with heavy front loading, most likely would be easily movable as well.

That team could easily make damage in the playoffs as soon as next year. It would have great depth offense and defense wise, legit first pairing and great centrum.

I get the logic. Buffalo had to do a lot to get Eichel and Reinhart. Personally, I'm going to be protective of the core. I'm not willing to make any moves to jeopardize them. Especially not for Yandle or Nash.

In a few years, with dead weight off the books and the entire core locked into long term deals, I'm down for these types of moves.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Nash has a perfect contract for the exact opposite of what people are claiming to be worried about.

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
Nash has a perfect contract for the exact opposite of what people are claiming to be worried about.

^^^this. Nash is exactly the type of player and contract this team can take on to contend quicker. By the time Jack and Ryan's contracts come up..he gone.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
^^^this. Nash is exactly the type of player and contract this team can take on to contend quicker. By the time Jack and Ryan's contracts come up..he gone.

Has Nash ever helped a team contend?

I get that the 2 year cap window makes Nash attractive... but his game is going to fall off a cliff, and I'd rather not be holding the 8 million dollar bag in 12 months.

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
In a few years, with dead weight off the books and the entire core locked into long term deals, I'm down for these types of moves.

People keep saying stuff like this. You don't think there'll be new dead weight?

One of the talking points in the pro ridiculous-contract-for-Stamkos camp was that they'd rather have him at 13m than Moulson, Gorges and Gionta at their price. And that's great -- me too -- but you don't get to re-spend money you've already spent, and you can't trade a bad contract without a trading partner.

In fact, I would say that from a labor-relations standpoint, those 3 horrible contracts MUST be honored, and are more beneficial to the organization than Stamkos could be. Two guys that *wanted* to be here, and one that waived a NMC. If an employers word can't be trusted today, it becomes harder to recruit tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad