Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I never understand some people's obsession with not wanting to give up assets to improve the squad as a whole. UFA should be for adding you're final complimentary pieces, a wily veteran to help lead in the locker room. Not to fill glaring & cavernous holes in your roster.

Seems pretty illogical to me.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Here is the problem for me.

People talk about Pysyk, Bailey, Fasching, '17 1st, and various 2nd rounders being "complimentary" and "non-core" pieces.

But, I don't see Brodin coming in and being a "core piece". At least not by my definition of "core piece".

Brodin would be kind of like Bogosian to me. And Bogosian isn't a "core piece".

So, you are giving up 3 or 4 complimentary pieces for 1 complimentary piece.

a 10 year partner for your top pairing isnt a complimentary piece, Bogosian isnt a core player because he isnt consistent, if you could count on the last 2 months of bogo for 74-82 games a season he'd absolutely be core

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
My gut feeling is that Fowler is Tim Murray's top trade target. Under contract for two more seasons, LHD, unquestionably top-4, perhaps could attach the "QB" term to him, one of the better zone exit guys in the biz (as is Yandle, and I do think Murray's going to make a serious UFA pitch to him, even if we acquire Fowler). I think that's the guy he's going to try to acquire at the draft a la ROR. I'd venture a guess that he'll attempt to convince Bob Murray that acquisition cost is/should be about what Ottawa paid (while TM was the AGM there) for Bobby Ryan (following year's 1st, Silfverberg, Noesen) - though I'm having difficulty coming up with a comparable package because while I think Pysyk is a Silfverberg-esque asset, I'm not sure ANA would want another RHD, but I don't know their plans for Montour in the next year or two.

I think if you told Murray that his top-6 LHD situation next year was Fowler, Yandle, McCabe and the RHD situation was Risto, Bogosian, Franson (with Nelson to assume the 3rd pairing/high O-zone starts in 2017-18), along with a vet 7D, he'd be pretty happy.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
My gut feeling is that Fowler is Tim Murray's top trade target. Under contract for two more seasons, LHD, unquestionably top-4, perhaps could attach the "QB" term to him, one of the better zone exit guys in the biz (as is Yandle, and I do think Murray's going to make a serious UFA pitch to him, even if we acquire Fowler). I think that's the guy he's going to try to acquire at the draft a la ROR. I'd venture a guess that he'll attempt to convince Bob Murray that acquisition cost is/should be about what Ottawa paid (while TM was the AGM there) for Bobby Ryan (following year's 1st, Silfverberg, Noesen) - though I'm having difficulty coming up with a comparable package because while I think Pysyk is a Silfverberg-esque asset, I'm not sure ANA would want another RHD, but I don't know their plans for Montour in the next year or two.

I think if you told Murray that his top-6 LHD situation next year was Fowler, Yandle, McCabe and the RHD situation was Risto, Bogosian, Franson (with Nelson to assume the 3rd pairing/high O-zone starts in 2017-18), along with a vet 7D, he'd be pretty happy.

I was all about the Fowler Hype train then I looked at his advanced stats. Serious question, how can he look so good in the small sample size I've watched him in yet have such terrible HERO/WARRIOR numbers?

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Am I crazy or is this the perfect time for Buffalo to need wingers through free agency?

Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention to what was available the past few years, but there are 8 players available who scored 50 or more points last year. That seems crazy; to boot, 6 of them are wingers. Any one of them would have been 3rd on the team in scoring and 4 would have led the team in scoring.

If they don't add some serious depth this offseason I'll be massively disappointed. Everything has set up perfectly for them at this point, unless all those guys sign extensions prior to July 1.

Last edited:

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
I never understand some people's obsession with not wanting to give up assets to improve the squad as a whole. UFA should be for adding you're final complimentary pieces, a wily veteran to help lead in the locker room. Not to fill glaring & cavernous holes in your roster.

Sorry, but that's nonsense.
You could say the same thing about trading 1st round picks.

I have no problem giving up assets in exchange for assets. I just disagree that Brodin is worth a 1st round pick (possible lottery pick) plus 2 legit prospects this early in a rebuild process.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Here is the problem for me.

People talk about Pysyk, Bailey, Fasching, '17 1st, and various 2nd rounders being "complimentary" and "non-core" pieces.

But, I don't see Brodin coming in and being a "core piece". At least not by my definition of "core piece".

Brodin would be kind of like Bogosian to me. And Bogosian isn't a "core piece".

So, you are giving up 3 or 4 complimentary pieces for 1 complimentary piece.

A partner who fits with Risto... becomes closer to core than any prospect/winger or depth defensemen. and quickly....

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Of the 198 defensemen to play 500 minutes this season, the anchors of our top two pairings were 158 and 174th in GA/60 and 151st and 175th in CA/60.

You shouldn't be scared off by offensive generation numbers when our entire top four sucks at sustainable defense too.

bingo.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
i'm not 100% that Brodin is the right type of partner for Ristolainen. I think Fowler suits him more. I'm not in love with Fowler's game but I'm still interested in acquiring him as i think playing with Risto could take his game up a level.

Brodin with Bogosian? that makes a ton of sense to me.

I'd feel pretty darn good about:

Fowler - Ristolainen
Brodin - Bogosian
McCabe - Pysyk (although i assume one of these fellows would be gone if we acquired both of these guys)

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I know this is the point of the board but all this speculation and hand-wringing is funny because it's going to continue until we get that LHD and only Murray can make that happen - and he is going to do what he wants and he might even have a plan that none of us could have imagined. :)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Of the 198 defensemen to play 500 minutes this season, the anchors of our top two pairings were 158 and 174th in GA/60 and 151st and 175th in CA/60.

You shouldn't be scared off by offensive generation numbers when our entire top four sucks at sustainable defense too.

Key word "anchors". Wow, those numbers blow. :laugh:

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria

Fowler - Risto
Yandle - Bogo ugh!
McCabe - Franson double-ugh!

I'd happily take Fowler, but with those other three guys, Yandle would expose us all year long.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Any possibility they use Franson in the package to shift defensemen around? Clear him out, sell someone on the PP generation aspect?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The more I think about it, the more I feel like Brodin would be a great fit...next to Bogosian.

He could certainly be an asset playing with Risto, but I think Bogo needs a "safe" partner way more than Risto does. Risto has a better ability to cover for his risk taking than Bogosian, and as we saw from the McCabe-Bogo tire fires...that didn't quite work out so well.

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
The other two Reinharts

Just out of curiousity, what do Sabres fans value Max and Griffin Reinhart at? If the price was right, would you be ok with us trading for them? One is a LHD and the other is a highly skilled forward, both of which are something the team could use.

We've seen what happens when you bring in the big brother of one of your stars, and Cal O'Reilly has been a decent role player for us. Could a team like the Sabres reclaim the lost Reinharts, or are they just not meant for the NHL?

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I'm pretty sure that someone needs to take Griffin back to skating school for a year. He is only 1.2 Brad Brown's when it comes to speed.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
It'd be kinda cool if we got Griffin and he was eventually the 7th defenseman or in Rochester, along with Cal O'Reilly. Ryan O'Reilly and Reinhart have shown to be good locker room types and could see their brothers setting the example for guys in the pipeline on their way up through the AHL.

That being said I think it's unlikely. As for the 3rd brother, Max, I have no clue in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad